Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Beholder here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 23, 17 12:39 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/23/2017 at 5:54:13 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Beholder here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jan 23, 17 5:54 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Beholder here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Beholder.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

M_LADY
Clownfish
Clownfish
887 Posts

[Post New]by M_LADY on Jan 23, 17 2:14 PM

This game is totally different from any game I have ever played. Set in an Orwellian Dystopia in the year 1984, you play as Carl, and agent of the government. Carl is given the task of being the onsite Big Brother and watching all of the aspects of the tenants of the apartment building he manages. The color palette of this game is appropriately bleak using black and shades of brown and gray. The characters speak, but their voices sound more like mouse squeaks and the dialogue must be read.

The controls are fairly simple and the player can use either the mouse or keyboard with the option to set which keys are to be used in the "options" menu. If played in the easier mode, there is a very good tutorial available which, once in the game, is accessed by the phone in Carl's office.

There are many tasks to perform, most of which are fairly simple, and they are assigned rapidly. Since I was trying to do as much as possible in the hour trial, I played as quickly as I could and still had several more to complete at the end of the demo. This seems as though it will be a long game.

This is probably not a game for me, but if you're looking for something different you should give it a try. Just be aware that at the start of the game there is what, if it were on TV, would probably be called "cartoon violence". It could be upsetting for some.

[Post New]by WenckeBrat on Jan 23, 17 5:36 PM
>taking a deep breath... okay, here goes< I don't ever post (due to being treated nasty when I did post), let alone do any reviews, but I have to put my 2 cents in for this game. This is an interesting strategy game with a lot going for it. You have to really think about your moral options and what you do. I was taken away and never heard from again when I played the demo, but started a new game and got further... so you can "disappear" from the game just like the apartment residents you are spying on, so choices matter a lot with this game. At the end of the demo, I found myself wanting to play more. The characters are just blobs without a lot of individuality, but that is what this game is going for, everyone must conform.... the apartments are not black and white and there are objects to investigate in each apartment...just be careful not to get caught in the apartment by that apartment's resident...they will kick you out... lol.

PROS: No furry helpers, no gimmicks/gadgets you have to recharge/use to perform magical feats, no family member to have to save from a red-eyed hooded demon/bad guy. No fairies, elves, trolls, dwarves. No pink/purple backgrounds.

CONS: There is no voice over and everything must be read.

This game is not for everyone, no game is, but I think people should at least try the demo and give it a fair chance as in, play for more than 2 minutes so you can get the feel of the game. I think anyone who is sick and tired of the cookie-cutter games we have been getting, will probably enjoy at least a little bit of the difference in this game. I am glad I played the demo of this game before reading any reviews or I might not have tried it.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Jan 23, 17 8:05 PM
Love it! Fun! You have to use your brain! So very reminiscent of strategy games from years ago! I'm tired of the same ole same ole..this one is challenging!

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jan 24, 17 10:33 PM
I honestly can't decide if I like this one - I do love a challenge with no hand-holding but the story is very bleak. Given the current political clime in the US I'm not sure I want to play a game that just might be our future (boy, I hope I'm kidding). Many improvements over the beta I did some time ago, and there is finally a good tutorial. Also many quests and little side quests to complete (I've only done the demo). One complaint is that the auto-save only saves from your last completed task, so you may have to re-do some actions. I think I'll pick this one up and give it more of a whirl.

Enjoy fish friends!

LOVE TRUMPS HATE

seatemple
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by seatemple on Jan 26, 17 2:18 PM
thanks KG !!!

[Post New]by roadgrrl2000 on Mar 28, 17 9:17 AM
This game had me very perplexed... I like it, I like these kinds of strategy games, but, I have to agree with other reviewers who said this is an unsettling game, given the political climate in the U.S. these days. This very well could be our future. Anyway... I like the game overall.

Expect to start over in the beginning till you get the hang of this game. And you don't have to be evil, but if you want to save your family, you're going to have to do some reprehensible things to your neighbors. This was where I had trouble, but after several restarts... I no longer have that issue.

Do a search for wiki's and walkthroughs. They're out there and they will help you understand what you're supposed to do with certain characters.

All in all, as I love strategy games, I do like this game. I just wish its tone wasn't so... realistic... to me these days.

Go to: