bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Crystal Cave: Lost Treasures

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Apr 5, 10 9:13 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Crystal Cave: Lost Treasures? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

-bfgZambezi

auntann11
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,001 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Crystal Cave: Lost Treasures

[Post New]by auntann11 on Apr 5, 10 9:17 AM
I haven't seen a timer or lives to run out of yet so this looks really good.

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on Apr 5, 10 4:45 PM
Despite the initial graphics, the game graphics are rather simple. It's a puzzle game - figure out how to push boulders, TNT, etc to get to the gems. And I'm not saying that it's bad - not at all. There seems to be a lot of levels to play - I just played the tutorial and started on the second group of levels. I'm going to think about this one. I just had a deja vu moment playing it thinking about the Commander Keen games. Seems to be similar puzzle solving, with the puzzles getting harder as you go along.

The only thing that I didn't like was switching back and forth between the arrow keys and the mouse. Maybe there was a way to use the arrow keys/keyboard to move between levels.

I think I'll go back and give it another play and see what I think. This one goes on the maybe list - although if it ever comes up as a DD, it would move to the buy column.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 5, 10 4:59 PM
The game isn`t bad, fur sure. I really like that you can switch through several languages (love to play the games in german), but I wouldn`t pay the full price for it. But I would buy is as a daily deal.

auntann11
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,001 Posts

[Post New]by auntann11 on Apr 5, 10 6:47 PM
The only thing that I didn't like was switching back and forth between the arrow keys and the mouse. Maybe there was a way to use the arrow keys/keyboard to move between levels.

I did not like that either, so I tried hitting the enter key to continue and it worked. I think the mouse isn't needed past the start of the game.

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Apr 5, 10 8:32 PM
This was a sad disappointment of a game. I sometimes like playing these older type games, but this was just to juvenile for me plus I couldn't find any directions. I loved the opening graphics. Too bad the entire game didn't have them.

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Apr 6, 10 2:55 AM
Well, I gave it a try. Normally, I rather like puzzle games. I used to love "Cattrap" for the old Nintendo Game Boy, so I thought that this would be a worthy upgrade.

Not so. "Mortimer and the Enchanted Castle" is much better. (Available here at Big Fish Games! )

Graphics: not very good, but then, it's an older game and there's really not much to work with.

Music: Gets annoying quickly. At least for me.

Sound effects: Average. Nothing spectacular here.

Plotline: Well, there really isn't much of one. Gather all the gems. That's it.

Gameplay: You can use the mouse, but it's much easier to use the arrow keys and the Enter key to do everything. It's really a basic "push this to there and hope you haven't blocked your exit". There is no simple "retry level". You have to exit to the main menu and choose that option. Not very smoothly done with a single mouse click.

There is a somewhat high curve to the puzzles after the tutorial, and far too many things to learn with no later guidance. You would have to leave, go back to the tutorial levels (all 15 of them) and hunt for the one that shows you how to deal with a specific task. And if you don't take the time to do the tutorial levels, then you have no idea what you're doing.

There is a level editor, so if you and a friend both have the game, you can give each other custom levels to play with, but that is the only real fun thing to do here. And it's dependent on there being someone else to share with.

Final note: I really can't recommend this game to anyone except die-hard fans of puzzle type games who have really nothing better to do and no better games to play. I can't even give it more than a single star and that's only for the level editor capability.

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Apr 6, 10 10:03 AM
I could give two hoots about graphics. Some of the older games were much more fun! Unfortunately, this isn't one of them. If you like Donkey Kong, you'll recognize pushing boulders off ledges. If you like Sobokan, you'll recognize the top-down view, where you're pushing stuff through mazes. If you like physics and logic, you'll soon realize that the boulders fall off ledges like gravity is downward on your screen, while the little person marches blithely along like gravity is toward the back of your screen. She's top-down, the boulders are side-view. Even though she's shown in side-view. Totally confusing. Missing moves I know I should be able to see due to this. Yuck.

msmithnc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
439 Posts

[Post New]by msmithnc on Apr 6, 10 12:39 PM
I agree with lil_chickadee about the view perspective - the character is being viewed from the top, but the boulders and other items are essentially viewed from the side. I was starting to get used to this, however, by the time my hour was up.

The tutorial levels were very simplistic, but the regular levels were getting more interesting - I think I was on level 22. Since there are 100 levels, and they get harder with each group of 25, I think this game will have good play time. Since the levels do get harder, THERE NEEDS TO BE A "RESTART LEVEL" KEYBOARD SHORTCUT!. The harder the level, the more you will need to restart as you figure out the strategy. Going to the menu button with the mouse is a pain!

This is a fairly simple game, but I like figuring out puzzles like this in my own time and sometimes it is refreshing to have simple games; anyone who has played the Wonderland series knows how fiendishly difficult this type of puzzle game can be!

BTW, the Turtix games are along these lines, and although the graphics do seem to be aimed at the younger audience the puzzles do get fairly complex (and there is more of a fast arcade element rather than just logic - and I did reach a "bonus" level in Turtix 2 that needed to be passed to continue with the game that seemed to be so difficult that I finally just gave up and stopped playing.)

I'm with those who'll hold off and order this one if I need to fill up a punch card...

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by wini1 on Apr 6, 10 10:08 PM
I wonder why BFG doesn't have a walkthrough for this game? I know you can skip levels, but I had doing that. Sure wish they would get one....hint hint BF.

steve_t
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by steve_t on Apr 7, 10 1:25 AM
THERE NEEDS TO BE A "RESTART LEVEL" KEYBOARD SHORTCUT!. The harder the level, the more you will need to restart as you figure out the strategy. Going to the menu button with the mouse is a pain!

I think that is why they have the two icons on the bottom right:
QUICK save - save the current position,
QUICK LOAD - reload previous position after a disastrous move.
(But not sure, since I haven't tried them.)

Edited on 04/07/2010 at 1:28:57 AM PST

Metamorph
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Metamorph on Apr 7, 10 1:34 PM
I would really like a walkthrough with at least the basic instructions. I'm still not sure what the 8-ball does or doesn't do. There is a lot of trial and error and it would be nice to have an easier "do over/reset" option on on the game screen.

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Apr 9, 10 5:15 PM
I won't be buying this, just not a thriller to me. I do want to point out that you can do eveArything with a mouse instead of the keyboard. So those of you who don't want to switch back and forth can take your pick all keyborad (except for the restart selection) or all mouse.
Also, the first chapter is all "How To" so if you have questions about what things do go ahead and do the tutorial.

Enjoy

Edited on 04/09/2010 at 5:17:02 PM PST

lilkim66
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by lilkim66 on Apr 13, 10 6:39 PM
I love this game. No timer. Help if you need it , from rake in grass.

Lil

Scobeaux
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by Scobeaux on Apr 23, 10 9:37 AM
I also really love this game. It is challenging and varied. I personally like the music and find it mostly not too distracting. The graphics are fine - this is after all just a puzzle game - it's not like you need to get immersed in some amazing adventure. It reminds me of the Professor Fizzwizzle games. Now that solutions are posted in the Yahoo Groups forum (search for crystalcavelosttreasures) by a kindly and sympathetic fellow Big Fisher, you can get help if you need it but don't give up too quickly or you will lse the incredible feeeling of satisfaction you get when you finally figure it out.

LadyReah
Herring
Herring
372 Posts

[Post New]by LadyReah on Apr 24, 10 10:42 PM
For those looking for a keyboard shortcut to restart a level; you can use the keyboard to restart a level, skip to the next level and even quit the game.
Press the 'Esc" key and it will bring up a menu that you can use your arrow keys to scroll through. Press 'Enter' to make select your choice.

I actually love this game, although it is much simpler than the original Crystal Cave Classic. And quite a bit shorter. This one has 100 levels + 15 tutorial levels. The original game has 164 levels + 15 tutorial levels.

If you like this game but really want more of a challenge, I suggest Crystal Cave Classic. I've been working on several levels for weeks now (and it looks like it will take me several more weeks to finish those).

pysanky13
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by pysanky13 on Apr 25, 10 5:42 PM
To restart a level I just click the X in the top right corner which brings up the main selections and click restart level. I don't like using arrow keys and use the mouse for everything.
I like the simple graphics for the game play of this type and have enjoyed it so far. I did go through the tutorials and have managed to do the Egyptian levels and half way through the Aztec temple. Lots of restarts but the challenge is just hard enough with some simple ones thrown in. Perhaps smarter gamers will be bored but I have enjoyed all the parts of the game, music-graphics-play.

bunnyeyes
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by bunnyeyes on Apr 26, 10 2:26 PM
I'm really enjoying this game, too. I came here looking for somewhere to find a hint to 2 levels I had to skip 'cause nothing makes sense.
Help if you need it , from rake in grass
What is that? Also, thank for the Yahoo Groups form reference - I'll check there too.

[Post New]by another2cents on May 11, 10 7:57 PM
This game reminded me of boxworld... this one is much more challenging... new elements added... I love it I know that it is not exactly like Box World.. but it still reminded me of an old game and I love seeing old games brought back to life...

For those not sure of the icons in the corner... They are great and easy to use. When you get to a new level... click on the red one... when you mess up click on the green one... but make sure that you click on the red one at the start of each level or else when you click on the green one it will take you back to the last level that you saved and then you will have to do all those levels all over again. I of course found this out the hard way lol

I enjoy this game ...each level gets harder and challenges you..lovin' it...

[Post New]by another2cents on May 11, 10 8:19 PM
Just to add another two cents... I had mentioned that it reminded me of BoxWorld... my son reminded me about Heartland... and he is right ... it is something like it as well.. What ever games it is simular to... even if it is a mixure the bottom line is

It is an enjoyable .. game

Go to: