Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Secret of the Royal Throne here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 6, 17 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/06/2017 at 5:14:24 AM PST

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Secret of the Royal Throne here.

[Post New]by mamajay on Feb 6, 17 3:18 AM
Well, this is certainly an intriguing game! The Developer is new to me, and while the game play does have some irritating (to me) issues, I really like the story, and want to continue.

For a rather nice change, the game is set in India, and we get to learn about some ancient gods and goddesses as we play. They also make an appearance in the game. I had to laugh when I realised that apparently Daddy Dear knew what would happen before leaving home, and made arrangements accordingly, lol.

First, the Cons: if you want to make changes to the volume of voices, sound effects, etc., then you have to go out of the game to the main menu. The first time I did that, there was a glitch (clicking Continue took me back to the previous scene, while the soundtrack continued on from where I left it! I had to start the game again with a new profile to fix it. Hopefully that won't happen again).

The Skip button (on Casual) seems quite slow - between 1 and 2 minutes, I think), and the Cut Scenes cannot be skipped (which is only annoying if you have to restart the game). The music isn't bad, but the 'environmental' effects did get on my nerves a bit.

The Pros: the graphics are excellent, with no obvious pinks/purples/blues, lol, and the voice acting is quite good too. The puzzles haven't been too hard (although I did end up having to skip on a couple after trying for a while), and the arrow shows you which direction you can go. Clicking on Hint literally gives you a written hint at the top of the screen.

At first I wasn't too sure I wanted to continue this game, but now I am glad I did. Hopefully the Devs (d9 Apar Games) will improve the game mechanics in their future games, which will lessen my irritation, lol.

As always, try the game for yourself - you just may like it

Cheers,

Jen

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Feb 6, 17 5:14 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Secret of the Royal Throne here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Secret of the Royal Throne.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Feb 6, 17 6:43 AM
This is an interesting game but two things about it were deal breakers for me.

There was a black screen that said LOADING every time I went from one screen to another - even if I was going back to the one I just came from.

While clicking on an object would put it in your inventory - to use the object you had to hold down the mouse button.

The graphics were quite nice. The voice overs no so nice - she spoke very slowly and clearly as if to a small child.

It was nice to see a game set in India though.

BTW - I went out to the Menu and went back into the game w/o a problem.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Feb 6, 17 7:22 AM
I too actually like this oldie' style game, you have to overlook some of the nuances that go with that and turn down/off the music, but it isn't too bad.

I also enjoy a game that is set in India and learn about the deities.
Not alot of bells and whistles, but it has a certain charm to it. The story line is interesting enough. And the graphics are pretty good.

No gadgets, no helpers, that is a plus for me.

Even tho I really like games with morph's and collectibles, this one is just a good old HO with some decent puzzles.

Give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised. I am using a cc to purchase it.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Feb 6, 17 7:40 AM
I agree w/ comments of other fish! Good game to use a punch card coupon, don't know if Id spend $6.99 on it! I could be wrong since I just started game, but it might be kinda short! But if its raining or snowing not a bad game to fill the time up!

lolaluv
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by lolaluv on Feb 6, 17 8:36 AM
If you aren't 100% certain that you'll be able to solve all of the puzzles without skipping, play on casual. I played on intermediate and came to a slider puzzle I couldn't solve. THERE IS NO WAY TO EXIT THE GAME from that point - obviously you can't skip, but you can't back out of the mini game and can't access the menu either. You have to ctl-alt-del and shut it down from there. HUGE miss on the developer's part and something they really need to fix in the future.

I'm as of yet unsure whether I can change difficulty now, or if I have to restart the entire game from the beginning (which will be quite frustrating but should at least be fast).

It also locked on a "loading" screen at the pump puzzle and again I had to ctl-alt-del to exit. I would have thought these things would have been caught and modified in testing. Good thing I only used a credit to get it - it's mediocre at best but there are so few SE games coming out now that I gave it a chance.

fluffyalso
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by fluffyalso on Feb 6, 17 8:42 AM
I have to say this game was interesting but not a buy for me. The graphics were really nice. Story line was good. However, the voice overs needed to have a skip. There was no map that I saw. The hint button was not all that helpful. You had to hold down the button to use an item from inventory. The skip button took forever.
I hope the developer continues to make games because the next one, with upgrades, should be a buy.

tejasgal
Manatee
Manatee
4,062 Posts

[Post New]by tejasgal on Feb 6, 17 10:03 AM
Originally released in 2014 this old style game is a good one for players new to the HOS type game but for me, no thanks.
Aside from the fact that it is available on another web site for $2.99 US, it is to limited for those of us that have become accustomed to the ability to skip long voice overs as well as skipping a puzzle you don't care for and interactive HOS. I didn't see a map but I might have just missed it.
The black "loading" screen between scenes really disrupts the flow of the game as well.

It had potential, since we rarely see any games with India theme and the graphics are nice and clear. The actual story is nothing new; supernatural deities we must help, but again since it is set in India they are at least different.

As the old saying goes--Try it for yourself.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Feb 6, 17 10:56 AM
These developers have a bright future. The game graphics are clear and colorful, the sound is O.K. and the game plot is innovative and enjoyable. I really wanted to buy this game, but the game mechanics put me off. The black bar atop the screen covered some collectable items, not being able to get out of a game during a puzzle, and little things like trying to use the stick with the dry grass and failing, only to find out that you had t0 drop the stick a few feet from the grass. Once the Developers get a handle on the game mechanics, they will be a force to reckon with. I'm looking forward to their next project.Try it for yourself, you may like it

georgiarealist
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by georgiarealist on Feb 6, 17 11:53 PM
I'm among those enjoying this game. The setting is different and interesting, although the story isn't particularly new. Some of the mechanics are a bit annoying, like having to drag inventory items to *exactly* the right place to use them like the stick/dry grass one mentioned in another review. I also had some trouble figuring out just what position was the right one to line up the wells to put the coconut milk in - what looked like lined up to me wasn't always right. On the whole, though, it's a nice change from the more elaborate puzzle/adventure games we've had lately. The hints aren't the usual kind that show you exactly what to do, and it has taken me several tries to decipher some of them, but they do help with a little thought on the part of the player.

Supernerd
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Supernerd on Feb 6, 17 11:54 PM
Sluggish...

So much so that I went to change the options, only to find there is no button for System Cursor, and the windowed mode is still huge and gobbling memory.

I think I'll delete this game, which is a pity. But it's too clunky for my PC.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Feb 7, 17 9:21 AM
georgiarealist wrote:I'm among those enjoying this game. The setting is different and interesting, although the story isn't particularly new. Some of the mechanics are a bit annoying, like having to drag inventory items to *exactly* the right place to use them like the stick/dry grass one mentioned in another review. I also had some trouble figuring out just what position was the right one to line up the wells to put the coconut milk in - what looked like lined up to me wasn't always right. On the whole, though, it's a nice change from the more elaborate puzzle/adventure games we've had lately. The hints aren't the usual kind that show you exactly what to do, and it has taken me several tries to decipher some of them, but they do help with a little thought on the part of the player.

Hi ,

How did you resolve the coconut milk's puzzle??? I had to skip that.
Thanks in advance,
M.

DJG1122
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by DJG1122 on Feb 13, 17 12:10 PM
I like this game. No bells and whistles is a nice relaxing change. Sometimes I get so caught up in finding the collectibles or morphs, I'm not enjoying playing the game. Not complicated, although I did have to skip a couple of the mini games.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Mar 4, 17 4:24 PM
I rarely review before completing a game BUT, this is so different and after other Fishies reviews I tried it and I have to say that after a whole 12 minutes of the trial for me it looks to be a winner [thanks mamajay and CiChDa] I just have to buy it !!!
Will come back and do full review after I play it, but I must say it is such a nice change of pace
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edited upon completion on April 1st, 2017

I just completed this little hidden treasure for the eyes It is an old-style game without bells and whistles and appears to have been made with the super high tech more established developers use. I loved the location artwork and the wonderful colors. I did use the hint button but didn't mind it.
The story-line had me and the location also. This dev. looks like they put a lot of work and love into it and I hope to see more of them.
I for one do not mind if english is not perfect and I enjoy jotting down items names that are different from mine.
& 3/4 on my personal enjoy-ability scale

Played on my desktop PC running Windows 10 with only a little lag .

Edited on 04/01/2017 at 9:48:50 PM PST

Go to: