Kittypurrrs
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

Flints and thorium ore ... WHY you ask?

[Post New]by Kittypurrrs on Feb 22, 17 5:35 PM
This is written to say, to those of you who hate getting flints and ore, there is a reason why some of us love them.

At one time, when the game was budding and players were getting a feel for the game, giving flints and thorium ore to feed neighbour creatures was considered proper player etiquette when there were no requests. It is still actually in the ROM Wiki several times.

If you read several of the threads on the topic, the debate can be quite hostile as some players were FURIOUS that they get them when they have no requests. I do not understand that logic as they help feed creatures that can give you coin as well as dragon food, and the drops that help in the game.

I read that as I get more higher level (One player said lvl 50) I am to be intuitive and give what people need when they have nothing irequested. (Specials for events for instance) Well I am level 113 and I do not feel intuitive. Not even slightly. BUT, I am aware that as I visited players today I missed out on thousands of coin and dragon food. No need for special mind reading powers there!

There were no event creatures in the update today. So if anyone under 100 wonders why they got flints today, that is why. If anyone wonders why I do not buy the flints in the store, well that would be counter-intuitive. . If anyone wonders why I do not just ASK neighbours what they want, I did but gave up after about 30 mailings. In many cases, they did not get the mail, did not wish to respond, did not speak English, or I did not get their answer. The in game mail is, quite simply, AWFUL!

If anyone has any hints on how to develop the required intuition, please, let us all know! Thanks !

Leia1960
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

Re:Flints and thorium ore ... WHY you ask?

[Post New]by Leia1960 on Feb 22, 17 6:48 PM
Some people (who shall remain nameless) only want what they ask for. I can't keep too many in my 'hood because who can keep track of more than a few like that?

It does depend what level you are at. I noticed the upper levels always want knives and spoons. So I asked and it's because these are the charges for the very high experience artifacts. I tend to give thorium ore to lower levels of sometimes flints to the very lower. They need the flints if they haven't built a Mill and sometimes other things like wood shavings.

But there are some things that can't be requested but do make up an artifact if you get them all.

I try to always be appreciative of gifts. Sometimes after I collect a pile of item_???? I get an artifact I didn't expect. Because the person who was sending knew something I didn't. If they really don't want flints and ore they can always pull up and leave.

clm5457
Catfish
Catfish
1,588 Posts

[Post New]by clm5457 on Feb 23, 17 5:21 AM
In my opinion, I have over 2500 free charges which I will never use. I love to get flints and ores because I can use them everyday. Also saves me coins from buying them. Others feel different which is fine.

glca
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by glca on Feb 23, 17 10:33 AM
I'm at level 132. I run out of flints every single day when visiting, feel lucky if the previous night's exploring dropped 4 to 6 of them. Once, around level 60 I think, I actually ran out of Golden Grain several times!

Kittypurrrs is right, if you go to the gifting page at RoM wiki it recommends flints and ore if your neighbor doesn't have a freebie on their WL.

Flat out, nobody is psychic (that I know of.. well, maybe Sir_Vival..), if there is something you don't want, put something on your WL you do want. Help your neighbors help you.

Oh, and clm5457, wonderful neighbor of mine, it's nice to hear that from a level 815. I would love to get more feedback on this.

Katwoman991
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by Katwoman991 on Feb 23, 17 2:15 PM
Hello all,
There was an agreement among many of the ole time players; many who left the game, that when an item is not requested then Flint or Ore would be gifted. I stick by this for the most part, sometimes I will gift a charge to break it up. I find that the Flint offers a better reward - besides the Golden Grain; you often get food; where as the Ore just gives you that purple thing & coins.
Kat

Kittypurrrs
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by Kittypurrrs on Feb 23, 17 3:09 PM
Thank you for the thoughtful replies .

glca wrote: Help your neighbors help you.
Terrific answer glca! I am highlighting the best part in your quote.

clm5457 wrote:In my opinion, I have over 2500 free charges which I will never use. I love to get flints and ores because I can use them everyday. Also saves me coins from buying them. Others feel different which is fine.
Yes, those of us who play every day can always use them. I am only level 117 and have more charges than I will use for awhile already.

Leia1960 wrote: I try to always be appreciative of gifts.
Great idea, and I am more like that now. After asking someone why they sent me such random gifts, they said it was because they were the prettiest ones! Now how could I be upset with that logic heheh.

Katwoman991 wrote: I find that the Flint offers a better reward - besides the Golden Grain; you often get food; where as the Ore just gives you that purple thing & coins.
True! But When I first started that 100 coin from the giant was pretty awesome! It still is frankly as I never have coins left to end the day. I bought and still do buy a lot of rune stones so I can do both mazes often AND get more artifact pieces, crystals and goodies AND the 4k coin to get more strong energy talismans to use twice daily.

But you are correct. For anyone under 100 the flint is more valuable for the mill and more dragon food drops. For some reason the thorium ore creatures have no "trick" moment to click on them to get dragon food that I can find.

(for new people, strong energy talisman is in the store, horseshoe icon, end of the scroll and lasts 12 hours... cost 4k ...use even when you have enough crystals to be a member)

Edited on 02/23/2017 at 3:39:35 PM PST

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on Feb 23, 17 5:11 PM
Players, The point is there was never an "agreement", that why the "argument" or rather discussion.

And as the world turns, so it is today.

Play the game the way you want. They are, after all, your neighbors.

There is never a time when anyone above level whatever needs to be gifted "those" items. It is not necessary, and it does not promote your game, nor theirs.

That is my opinion, you cannot disagree with my opinion, and you cant debate it. Opinions are not considered up for debate.

What you want or want to exact from a game should be connected to a goal in mind.

Heres what I see with low level neighbors right now, a wishlist full of very extremely hard to get items- at any level. But they are free to TRY to get if you visit your neighbors. Its hit or miss in this game players. I dont get any more doves, passion letters, etc than anyone else does. It took me years to get a lucky clover. I wouldnt think of putting up a hard to get item on my wishlist like so many do these days.
Thats why the invention of the trading post- for LEVER LOCK items. Seriously, you think someone is going to just give away a hard earned item. You cant judge what it took that player to get there.

I am completely appalled at the new players lack of regard for what us experienced players have gone through to contribute to getting this wonderful game off the ground.

Im going to leave you with this thought: Thank you very much for the rope pull heres a refreshing dew for your troubles.

Kittypurrrs
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by Kittypurrrs on Feb 23, 17 6:26 PM
I get you star! I really do. I have given away enough stuff that i could use, to understand exactly what you mean, and mostly to neighbours who play a lot and should think to reciprocate in kind once in awhile. (not anymore. lf they are greedy and thoughtless and seldom gift, I can only assume they will also not be there when I need them so I let them go. Too many wonderful players out there to feed stuff to players who will never care a whit about you)

Thanks for the feedback, but, when it comes to gifting, you cannot say play the way you like then tell people to play it your way. I, for one, do NOT want to level so quickly as others, now that I have a decent amount energy play time. I do not go get the XP in the rune mazes. I actually have not made an artifact in 5 days.

That may be unhinged/weird/ungamerly to you but it surely is relaxing and makes me happier. THAT is my goal, star, because to me having fun helping neighbours and making them smile is pretty fun. Just like in real... vivre la difference!

PS: For any new players reading this, while you may not know what items are harder to get, may I SUGGEST that you not be greedy and only have items that are not free on your list. Place a couple of free charges (the two items BELOW the artifact in your pearl artifact assembly box with a green gift box) Those are FREE and did not cost time or energy to get. And , if people send you specials, be grateful. Say thanks. Be sure to remember them when they need you. And pass on the good neighbourliness you expect of others.

PPS:No one is actually going to give you a rope pull for the lever lock. The exchange is here: http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/287662.page

Edited on 02/23/2017 at 6:37:46 PM PST

glca
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by glca on Feb 23, 17 6:31 PM
When starmagicgreen, deborahpeters, weebleandwobble, etc started this game they had to trudge through 20 mazes in five feet of snow, uphill to get one crystal!

Sorry star, couldn't resist. I for one have a great deal of respect for the players who have made the game what it is today and thank you. I have that respect because those experienced players have mentored me. I've reached a level that I am now able to help lower level players who really want to learn. Paying it forward.

My husband laughed when we read your post because I grumble at high level players & laugh at low level players when they have lucky clovers and secret flames etc on their WL. The low levels hopefully learn the ones you just flat out have to get yourself.

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on Feb 23, 17 8:12 PM

Edited on 02/24/2017 at 10:04:21 AM PST

Kittypurrrs
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by Kittypurrrs on Feb 23, 17 8:25 PM

Edited on 02/24/2017 at 10:12:36 AM PST

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on Feb 23, 17 9:06 PM

Edited on 02/24/2017 at 10:05:11 AM PST

Kittypurrrs
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by Kittypurrrs on Feb 23, 17 9:32 PM

Edited on 02/24/2017 at 10:12:52 AM PST

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on Feb 23, 17 10:05 PM

Edited on 02/24/2017 at 10:04:56 AM PST

Desp1na
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Desp1na on Feb 24, 17 1:27 AM
Since I had just received, for the umptieth time, ..."the server is temporarily unavailable ...etc etc " and waiting to refresh, allow me to put in my imput to this topic.

@kitty and @clm ... you are my neighbours and requested that if nothing is in your WL, an ore or flint would be appreciated. I have adhered and given you your wish.

I play differently to many other players. All I ask of, is for the FREE charge, which I use and I do not appreciate charges for offers/quests, as they remain in by BP unused !! .... it is simple.

On the otherhand, I also do not ask for items that somebody has worked so hard to get. I go to the room and sit exploring for hours on end, until the specific item drops to help me with the artifact I wish to assemble. Therefore, I have loads of extras from a room and that is when I send to lower level players, that they can keep for a rainy day or to pass on to a neighbour in need.

Do keep in mind, I may be nearly at level 1,600 ... but that is mainly because I am in no guild, do not do comps, etc etc ... therefore I explore only.

Let's all play our game and have fun

clm5457
Catfish
Catfish
1,588 Posts

[Post New]by clm5457 on Feb 24, 17 2:39 AM
Well said Despina!! I also do not ask for items that are hard to get. I found them, they can do the same. Let's all play the game the way we see it.

Have fun, that's what the game is for.

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Feb 24, 17 10:18 AM
Hi Everyone,

The Forum Moderation Team enjoys seeing the different discussions that pop up in the forums, and we recognize that different users may have varying preferences for how to play a specific game. However, though we understand that frustrations may sometimes arise, we do request that everybody please keeps the Forum Rules in mind when posting. Specifically:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

Do not respond to or comment on posts or discussions that break the rules. Report the post or discussion to a moderator. Contributing, even to mention that something breaks the rules, keeps that discussion visible and aggravates the problem.

We request that people please refrain from attacking or otherwise drawing unwanted attention to other users. Additionally, we ask that players please not reply to any posts or comments that are violating our rules. This way we can help to keep the forums an accessible and comfortable place for everyone who wants to participate.

Instead, if someone has a concern regarding a particular post, the best thing to do is reach out to one of our active Moderators. We’re always willing to help, and we’ll be sure to review the situation so that any necessary actions can be taken.

Since a few different rules have been broken in this thread I’m going to go ahead and lock it in order to keep things respectful. Thank you for your understanding.

bfgPanthalassa

Go to: