Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Romance: Romeo and Juliet Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 25, 17 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/25/2017 at 7:14:49 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Romance: Romeo and Juliet Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Feb 25, 17 5:26 AM
A lot like "Dark Romance: Heart of the Beast" & "Dark Romance: Kingdom of Death"
a locket w/ the lovers pics has you click it, you go back & fourth to each one of were there located. The sale price makes it little more tempting to purchase. But the trial gives you a good idea of what game is like. I purchased it. I like a fairy tale like story, & running out of playing older HO games!

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Romance: Romeo and Juliet Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Feb 25, 17 7:13 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Romance: Romeo and Juliet Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Romance: Romeo and Juliet Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Feb 25, 17 8:10 AM
With the classic love tragedy of Romeo & Juliet woven into a HOG, one would expect this game to be light & airy, a bit frothy and swoony. But regardless of the story line, one SHOULD expect this to be something more than a juvenile('s) approach to mechanics, story line, puzzles, animation, and the vision for a game.

-The over-saturated colors.
-The choppy animation.
-The oft-terrible voice overs.
Juliet's voice that sounds like it belongs on a blond ditz rather than a member of royalty. "Oh, my. The vapors..."
The work-hand who takes a magic fireball for Romeo. Not only did he not sound all that hurt, the animation of him wincing with pain looked like every picture my 2-year old nephew took when trying to smile. Laughingly embarrassing.
-The moronic logic.
'Don't use a messenger dove to communicate to Romeo, daughter. Now, let me just throw this messenger dove into your room to prove my point.'
I'm able to climb a tree and get a basket within spitting distance of apples. However, I then have the dexterity of a dixie cup because I can't simply pluck apples from a tree. I MUST use a grabber.
-Some of the easiest "puzzles" on the Hard setting I've seen in an HOG in a long, long time (randomly place figurines, in 3 different settings, onto highlighted spots until the 'stick'. Yep. THAT'S challenging). Ridiculously simple.

R&J is a literary love story & tragedy for the ages. However, this game is a tragedy for ALL ages that is an embarrassment to HOG's. Someone get me Romeo's dagger so I can stab my eyes out after experiencing this abysmal "game". Then, let my ghost haunt the developer for doing such a horrendous job with this...

Foxy57
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by Foxy57 on Feb 25, 17 8:48 AM

You took the words right out of my mouth mst3kr. Glad I have cancelled my membership 1 month ago...

mst3kr wrote:With the classic love tragedy of Romeo & Juliet woven into a HOG, one would expect this game to be light & airy, a bit frothy and swoony. But regardless of the story line, one SHOULD expect this to be something more than a juvenile('s) approach to mechanics, story line, puzzles, animation, and the vision for a game.

-The over-saturated colors.
-The choppy animation.
-The oft-terrible voice overs.
Juliet's voice that sounds like it belongs on a blond ditz rather than a member of royalty. "Oh, my. The vapors..."
The work-hand who takes a magic fireball for Romeo. Not only did he not sound all that hurt, the animation of him wincing with pain looked like every picture my 2-year old nephew took when trying to smile. Laughingly embarrassing.
-The moronic logic.
'Don't use a messenger dove to communicate to Romeo, daughter. Now, let me just throw this messenger dove into your room to prove my point.'
I'm able to climb a tree and get a basket within spitting distance of apples. However, I then have the dexterity of a dixie cup because I can't simply pluck apples from a tree. I MUST use a grabber.
-Some of the easiest "puzzles" on the Hard setting I've seen in an HOG in a long, long time (randomly place figurines, in 3 different settings, onto highlighted spots until the 'stick'. Yep. THAT'S challenging). Ridiculously simple.

R&J is a literary love story & tragedy for the ages. However, this game is a tragedy for ALL ages that is an embarrassment to HOG's. Someone get me Romeo's dagger so I can stab my eyes out after experiencing this abysmal "game". Then, let my ghost haunt the developer for doing such a horrendous job with this...

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Feb 25, 17 10:05 AM
I just can't get into these stories anymore, maybe I have over done it, as my library is quite large.....
The colors are irritating, so much pale blue, pink, geez, they over did the colors on that for me.
Story line, changing people, just not my cup of tea' as they say.
Bless you all, try it, I think, I am just fed up with the same old, same old.

WhiteladiesRd
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by WhiteladiesRd on Feb 25, 17 1:37 PM
Sorry, this is not a review, just a few remarks from a gamer who still likes HOPA's, but not this one.
Although I've found this game quite innovative in one aspect: you have to use a shoe to unscrew a wheel!!!

Forget about coins and screwdrivers - nowadays it's a shoe! WOW!
Warning: Don't try this at home: your shoe might get hurt.
Or your wheel. Or your coin. You might have lost your screwdriver scenes ago, oh dear!!! Better than having lost your marbles.

This game is just not for me. Happy Gaming to those who like it.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Feb 25, 17 5:12 PM
Why in the wide, wide world of sports would a game claim to be about Romeo & Juliet and then completely disregard the plot of the classic story?
Oh, I get it; hard to get people enthused about finding shoe that works like a screwdriver when you know that the couple are going to be dead by the end of the game. So instead, let's slap R & J's names on the game and hope nobody notices that the game follows the same format as most other HOGs do; and not very well at that.
But I digress.
Take out the dynamic duo, rework the game's hero/heroine as "Mortimer & Esmerelda" and as HOGS go, this one was enjoyable; although I agree with Foxy57 that Juliet's voice left a lot to be desired.
Not a buy as a CE. Not a buy as a SE.
But if I have a spare freebie credit lying around at the time of the SE release, I might use it on this.

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Feb 26, 17 1:41 PM
"Alberta" Capulet? *snicker*

Obviously whoever wrote the plot of this game is familiar with the title of "Romeo and Juliet" and the names of the two characters, but that's about it.

If a game is going to be based on a piece of classic literature, it should at least try to follow the plot. This one is way below feeble.

One plus, though, is that there are no morphing objects. I really don't like those.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 26, 17 1:51 PM
Hi all! Here we are with another addition to this series. As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to others who do a much better job than I. The graphics in this one are fairly well done. I did have to laugh at the face on the wounded soldier...such terrible pain, but then bandage his arm and up and away he goes, strong medicine! Not a game changer, but funny. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo. Colors are very bright, but not over-powering. You can switch players in this game, which was sort of fun. That way, you see the game from both sides and not just yours. Music just came in and out and was very quiet for the most part. There was very little character interaction during the demo, so not much in the way of voices either. What we did have, was done well.

HOPs are a nice combination of interactive lists, silhouettes and find the highlighted word. The scenes are fairly clear and items are not difficult to find. If you don't want to play the HOP, you can switch to a match 3. Wish the devs would come up with something other than a match 3. In the puzzles, you can switch from easy to difficult. In easy, they may be simple, but they still take time to complete. There is still some challenge. Hint system is very helpful and when you need to travel a long distance, the map opens up and you transport through that. I really like this type of map. Areas are clearly identified and marked and you can choose to also have it show you where a collectible is located. This helps in case you miss one.

Collectibles are many. To me, this is what makes or breaks a CE game. We need to find 11 masks, which can be a bit small but not hard to see. We also have 89 gold coins, which are not hard to see, but easy to miss. You use these coins to buy items for the boudoir...not exciting, but okay. There are also 13 scrolls of various sizes. These are very easy to miss. Collectibles are nicely done and do add a little challenge to the game.

When I beta tested this one, I wasn't too kicked out about it, but it looks like a few things were fixed. It is nowhere near as good as the last one, but it isn't a bad game at all. I don't remember there being a "magic carpet" in Romeo and Juliet, but I guess that's what is called "literary license." Hollywood does that a lot. For some unknown reason, I did like this game. Maybe it was the collectibles, because I know it wasn't the story. It is not all that challenging, but I found the need to keep playing anyway. Even at that, I only gave it a 3.5. Some will like this one and some will not, but I think I am going to add it to my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Feb 26, 17 1:57 PM
The Bard is rolling over in his grave. This is one of the "dumber" games that seem to be offered here a lot. No buy!

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Feb 26, 17 9:22 PM
I bought, played and completed the game. Granted, not the best, but enjoyed playing it. I really, really, like the HOPA games. Only 2 now per week that I buy (CE editions), once in a while there will be an SE HOPA game that I can use a coupon on.

I realize that there are many people out there who like TM games, puzzle ones, mosaics, etc, etc. - (sigh) - I love games to do with food (but not TM games) - I have a few that are Hidden Object ones (not timed) and I quite like those and replay quite often.

would be nice to see another one of those (Gourmania series, etc.).

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 27, 17 8:35 AM
I own all the previous "Dark Romance" games, but won't be buying this one. The reason is not because this game's story has nothing much to do with the famous "Romeo and Juliet" story, but because I found the gameplay incredibly boring.
I also didn't like the often not very smooth way scenes and cut scenes changed. It often looked a little rushed and half-finished.
And as far as graphics and colours are concerned, they were all right, but could have been better.

[Post New]by althea2770 on Mar 25, 17 6:43 PM
I don't understand why this got such bad reviews! I bought and played this to its conclusion, I thought it was an awesome game. Very well done! No major hiccups, very smooth, colors nice, to me. Lots of puzzles and hos, some easy, some little more difficult. I love fairy tales, takes me away from my not so fairy tale world. Thank You for an enjoyable game and bring it on with more.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Apr 17, 17 3:49 PM
I didn't finish the demo. even though I was playing hard I still got sparkles.

I think it would be a good game for someone new to these.

Go to: