Too frustrating to be fun

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,295 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Apr 8, 10 8:56 AM
Good graphics. No indication of where to use items that you collect was frustrating. I like the gears indication that most games have so at least you know where to use the items. Alot of going back and forth. I think they are doing less so that a short game lasts longer. I do not mind having to think, but when it gets too confusing it becomes work and takes away from what a game is supposed to be about - fun.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,859 Posts

Re:Too frustrating to be fun

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Apr 8, 10 9:15 AM
Sorry you were so frustrated. I love games like this that make you think about what to do. If you look carefully on the screens as you move your mouse around, there will be a few clues here and there. Otherwise, using the objects is pretty intuitive in that you use most of them in the same way you would use them in real life. You just have to figure out exactly where, and there are subtle hints for some of those.

RainbowElf
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Apr 8, 10 9:15 AM
I agree with you.

Most of the games I enjoy are a little challenging but this one is baffling!

The constant backward and forward gets a little dizzying after a while.

I did not even finish the trial as it was frustrating me too much.

kkbodine
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by kkbodine on Apr 8, 10 9:24 AM
I agree...there is not enough instruction with this game to make it completely enjoyable for me. When I am stuck or need some direction, it is nice to be able to have the choice to use it. When there is little or no interactive help, it becomes irritating and frustrating to not be able to progress without accessing help from the forums or other means. That being said, it is a beautiful game with very nice graphics and music. If there were more help options and direction, I would buy but I am going to have to pass on this one. Please BigFish...more games like MCF Return to Ravenhurst!! I have been waiting sooo long for a good hidden object game.

Edited on 04/08/2010 at 12:23:49 PM PST

[Post New]by sallystowe on Apr 8, 10 1:09 PM
i found this game fun it took a while to get through it but it was great you have to use your brain. i got all the way through it i i would recomend it to all. dont give up and if your smart you wont need a walkthrough just keep trying everything and youll get through it. maybe ill do it again and post a walkthrough.

Akamar
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Akamar on Apr 8, 10 1:56 PM
I was similarly irritated by the lack of instruction when it came to some puzzles. Some popped out and made sense immediately. Others I ended up skipping simply because I couldn't figure out the key to the puzzle.

While the graphics were nice, there also seemed to be a lack of story as the game progessed.. you know? A little something to help keep me grounded why I was there.

polexia
Herring
Herring
388 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Apr 8, 10 6:52 PM
I don't think IQ means anything, anyway. It's a pretty antiquated method of measuring intelligence. They have more interesting tests these days that measure emotional intelligence and the like, anyway.

I don't agree that "if your smart" [sic], you can figure out the game. Every game is different and every person is different and some games are flawed in how they present things. Casual games are just that, casual. If I wanted to spend a few hours challenging my intelligence then I'd probably just do calculus or something of that nature.

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by bluesinew on Apr 8, 10 6:55 PM
kkbodine wrote:
sallystowe wrote:i found this game fun it took a while to get through it but it was great you have to use your brain. i got all the way through it i i would recomend it to all. dont give up and if your smart you wont need a walkthrough just keep trying everything and youll get through it. maybe ill do it again and post a walkthrough.

I do have a very high IQ..over 170. A leisure game that you PAY FOR should not be compared to a test of your smarts or lack thereof. I play games for enjoyment, not to be frustrated or irritated. My comment was that this game should have more instruction for interactive game play than it did, for all to enjoy and decide whether they want to use the hint or not. This game simply fell short in that area. You shouldn't critize people, our fellow fishies, by insulting intelligence. The concept is clear: A game is just that; a game, nothing more, nothing less, and should be on a level for everyone to be able to make their own minds up whether to utiilize the hint system or not. Not being able to progress through a game because of this flaw is a worthless waste of time.

I agree with sallystowe, this game is not that difficult. It seems difficult, because so many of the current releases have been so easy. If you take your time and pay attention you won't need a "walkthrough" or you may even be able to write your own.

By the way . . . Einstein had a high IQ and he had trouble learning languages. This problem happens when a person has a very narrow and rigid mindset, a form of "dry-drunk" syndrome. Anyway . . . I would think someone with a 170 IQ who is used to splitting atoms might find this game boring. Thanks for your review sallystowe!

annetterider
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by annetterider on Apr 9, 10 4:56 AM
sallystowe wrote:i found this game fun it took a while to get through it but it was great you have to use your brain. i got all the way through it i i would recomend it to all. dont give up and if your smart you wont need a walkthrough just keep trying everything and youll get through it. maybe ill do it again and post a walkthrough.

Hello Sally,
I am hoping that you didn't mean that people who couldn't work this game out were "stupid", as you say "if your smart you wont need a walk through", you don't have to be smart to get through this game without a walk through, just a little patience and time to work things out. Smart people would check their spelling before posting, just a little hint, 'recomend' is spelt 'recommend'.

I have said all this with no malice nor am I putting you down. I am just pointing out a few things.

Annette

annetterider
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by annetterider on Apr 9, 10 5:00 AM
With that post I became a lobster, woo hoo.

Congratulations to me.

Annette

RainbowElf
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Apr 10, 10 6:10 PM
For those saying that IQ does not matter well yes in fact it does!!
IQ is not about intelligence in a sense of learning, IQ is about puzzle solving skills, about adapting thought process', so IQ would matter when it comes to game play.

Regarding EQ what is the point in bringing that up, yes it is in interesting but something completely different to IQ. EQ is about emotional response to situations, so regarding the game not relevant.

There is no need to say that you need to use your brain, that is insulting a lot of people out here in the pond.

Most people play games to unwind so the last thing they want is to give themselves a headache and end up more wound up after playing.

I am sure there are games out there that players could complete far easier then you, but they do not question your brain power.

The simple fact of it is that some players understand some games and some players do not, that is what makes us human, enjoying different things for different reasons.

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Apr 10, 10 8:02 PM
At first, I was frustrated, but when I realized what was going on, I thought it was great and I didn't have any problems. Usually, you just have to be calm and look around a scene to figure out what to do. If I had allowed my frustration to get the better of me, I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

I don't have an IQ of 170, but I was able to figure out what the mini puzzles were all about, so intelligence is not the only determining factor in playing a game.

sprigmom
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by sprigmom on Apr 13, 10 10:18 PM
kkbodine wrote:I agree...there is not enough instruction with this game to make it completely enjoyable for me. When I am stuck or need some direction, it is nice to be able to have the choice to use it. When there is little or no interactive help, it becomes irritating and frustrating to not be able to progress without accessing help from the forums or other means. That being said, it is a beautiful game with very nice graphics and music. If there were more help options and direction, I would buy but I am going to have to pass on this one. Please BigFish...more games like MCF Return to Ravenhurst!! I have been waiting sooo long for a good hidden object game.

Amen! I'm stuck at the safe, have the com #'s but not the symbols. "hint" is non-existent or not helpful most of the time. Sigh. It was promising at first.

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Apr 14, 10 7:53 PM
Look for the symbol that relates to the number. For instance, 7 would be a rainbow, because it has 7 colors in it, 8 would be a spider because it has 8 legs.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Apr 17, 10 10:43 AM
Gee Wiz guys, I think your I.Q. has little to do with this game. I am of average intel. with a higher technical grasp.

I have just finished the cabin and had to ck the WT once. Some parts are a bit of a strain but I love this game. After getting into the game, it's type of play became clearer to me. Some games that others consider easy have been hard for me. With RTR, I had to use the walkthrough often, too much guesswork, not enough logic. That did not make me toss it aside. It was a good game, as this is. A lot of the TMs have little if any instructions to suit me. Maybe because I'm not big on that type of game. This one has not been frustrating or too hard for ME (I can't say for anyone else how hard or easy it is).

I wish they had provided more help so everyone could enjoy this wonderful game. There is a walkthrough that is as helpful as any other walkthrough I've seen.

I am hopeing for a 2nd DC but with all the bad reviews, I think the chance is slim. Everyone should be encouraged to try each game for themselves.

This shoul not be an I.Q. debate. Chill and take it or leave it and by all means don't make it a slam thread. Respect your fellow players. Use a little diplomacy please.

[Post New]by linsgames on Apr 18, 10 2:59 PM
mhatfie wrote:Good graphics. No indication of where to use items that you collect was frustrating. I like the gears indication that most games have so at least you know where to use the items. Alot of going back and forth. I think they are doing less so that a short game lasts longer. I do not mind having to think, but when it gets too confusing it becomes work and takes away from what a game is supposed to be about - fun.

sheepgirl
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by sheepgirl on Apr 21, 10 11:50 AM
Just downloaded this for the second time to trial it...and now I remember why I didn't bother the first time.
Very frustrating game with little guidance...and no, I'm very bright....IQ has nothing to do withit. The tried and tested methods of other games works - - so don't try and fix it. It's just not much fun..
So glad I didn't purchase it.

nocturnadawn
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by nocturnadawn on May 3, 10 11:48 PM
Lol! I just read through the comments in here and got a good laugh. People have such fragile ego's. I don't really think it matters if you have an IQ of 170 or an IQ of 100. If you don't bother to USE your brain, your going to have problems with most anything. Now before you post and blast me as so many of you have other posters, let me say that I am not putting anyone down here. I am making a general statement. Now to go on with what I am saying. When we use our brain, we all use it quite differently. That said, what is simple to one person, may be hard for another. They might test out at the same IQ level on an IQ test, yet one may be great at the puzzles, but have trouble figuring out where a stick goes. It is all in our perception of things that makes this, and any other game, easy or difficult. Some people need the small hints in games to keep them on the right track. Some don't like having any hints at all. It would be nice if they made these games to where you could set your level of difficulty. One level could use things like "gears" to show where items need to be used, a second level could only include hints (like when his picture fills up) and the hardest level would not contain hints or puzzle skips etc. That way you can customize it to best suit your gameplay style (not your mental ability) I found this game fun just because it wasn't filled with hints. Sure, some of the puzzles took me a few min. to get, but it wasn't just all laid out for me like so many of the games out there are. I was actually thinking this was a pretty good game until I got to the end. That was the dumbest ending I have seen in quite a while. (My opinion only) I guess they were leaving it open for a sequel? At any rate, wheather you are an ultra genius, or just an average person, I think this is a great game. Look at the bright side, if you get stuck there is always the walkthrough!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,181 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 4, 10 1:28 AM
The way I see it is that some of us are more right brain, some left brain. We think and process and react in different ways. Parts of my brain are more developed, which may compensate for the weaker functions. Some think and pass school tests better when timed. Other students don't think as well under pressure, that's a proven. I don't get very far in a demo because I'm aware of the one hour and probably raises my stress level.

I never did well in math, which is probably why I always had trouble reading music (input). But writing music I hear in my head isn't impossible (output). I was born with such a strong ear I can easily play most songs on piano. Yet, if you give me a sheet of same printed music I can't even struggle through it After 6 years of piano lessons my teacher fired me at age 12 from frustration telling my mother I still could not read music, a waste of her money .So, I just started writing my own.

Sometimes when I go blank on a game, or don't even see items to find it is because I need to eat, need more blood to the brain, or is a sugar drop and can't think. If I have a meal and return everything is in my face. A lot of factors to consider, not to do with smarts at all. Explain talent.

I can glance at a walkthrough and pretty much size up if it is a game I would enjoy or be good at. I avoid find the differences, although those were my favorite picture puzzles as a young child. Maybe it is the back and forth of the eyeballs with age. I've always loved jigsaws, I can almost imagine the full picture just looking at a pile of pieces. Yet, I get lost and frustrated in many adventure type ihogs, lost my sense of direction without a map. I love reading maps where men hate them.

Pick what is enjoyable, if being challenged is your thing go for it. If you just want to use the "smarts" you brought with you, go there.I play to relax and have fun, and beautiful art is uplifting regardless of the game play. I unashamedly love skip buttons. I value my time so appreciate a hint when I feel I'm wasting it zoning out at a monitor.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,181 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 4, 10 1:59 AM
This afterthought may not be relevant, but I find it curious how some gamers say they played or finished a game. Others say they "beat" the game. So seems to me competitiveness may or may not be a factor. Some of us don't have a competitive nature so that isn't a motivation to be challenged or even "do a game".or get beyond frustration which I think is the topic. So, I'm not sure who one is competing against, the dev? themselves? I think of beating the odds on a slot machine or a race. Maybe they mean met a challenge?

I never even notice scores, make believe trophies mean nothing. The first HOGs I played, MCF Huntsville and Prime Suspects, PI Lottery, Little Shop of Treasures, all timed, I did. Nothing else to do when finished but try to beat my score. Not many similar games around then. I got sooooo addicted to that, like within 2 minutes or seconds and like a slave did them again faster. OMG, competing against me? Or some fictional names on the leaderboard. I didn't know what playing to relax was. Obviously more and more was by memory so I guess that was a memory test playing by rote. Meaningless.

No longer a motivation, competition is not a stimulant for my brain, nor trying to make points here or outsmart anyone. Guess I just like to talk.

Go to: