Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Spellarium here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 27, 17 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/27/2017 at 5:11:51 AM PST

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Spellarium here.

[Post New]by kgustavson on Feb 27, 17 1:20 AM
Wow, this stinks. No help at all except to point to a book. Jeez I only get one night a week to stay up late and play and this one is a real stinker. Why not more like Epistory?!!!!

[Post New]by Alien131314 on Feb 27, 17 2:07 AM
Dear kgustavson,
There are helps but if you do everything right, you won't see them.
If you're stuck, a help will appear.
Anyway, if you have any questions, we're here to answer!

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by greenshade on Feb 27, 17 3:28 AM
I have 1 - 5 of the Laruaville games and am CONSTANTLY replaying 1 - 4 because each one is so unique in it's challenges and different kinds of bombs, fire, ice, stone, etc.

However have only played #5 once because there was so little challenge.. way too many bombs !

Spellarium plays almost exactly like #5. Please oh please, developer go back to your unique gameplay and challenge in these match 3 games.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Feb 27, 17 3:43 AM
Great fun! The layouts are like one or two other M-3's, but this has a lot of refinement. You have an option to turn the hints off and you can select from three difficulty levels: Relaxed, Limited Time and Limited Moves. (Difficulty can be changed during the game.) At the end of each level you have the option to replay it and even the Relaxed mode shows how much time elapsed for that level, in case you want to try to improve on that.

Instructions pop up when a new element is introduced and we have a Reference Guide (book) in the upper left corner of the screen that comes in handy to review what various power-ups do and what type of match produces each one. If you seem to be stuck (and you have not opted to turn off hints), the game will pop up a helpful possibility.

The music is very pleasant (volume of music and sound effects can be adjusted in the Options menu) and the dialogue (written only) is sparse and sets the stage for each level as we progress.

The graphics are clear and colorful enough to be fun, but not overwhelming. There are plenty of explosions and other visual effects to keep everyone awake and quite interested.

Even in the Relaxed mode, strategy needs to be applied to some degree or other without being overtaxing. Some levels are actually much simpler than they first appear.

As you progress through the levels, you collect coins and parts of a decimated civilization are rebuilt. Our friendly mage comes out to let us know, in very brief terms, what is happening and what is needed.

The imaginative and creative devs even provided a break from M-3 action here and there to keep boredom at bay: every so often there is a very short solitaire card game or "find the differences" puzzle. (You do have the option to skip any of these as they appear.) Thank you, devs!

This is absolutely one of the best Match-3 games is quite some time.

Edited on 02/27/2017 at 5:04:39 AM PST

[Post New]by abengalcatlover on Feb 27, 17 3:48 AM
I love these games lately and own all 5 that are out. But one question? Why does everything have to be towards witch craft,evil spells or the dark side? To much to ask to make happy christian type games? Why is evil okay and God is not? Or even if you are not a christian how about animals or flowers rainbows? Geez big fish. I quit playing most of the CE's because nothing but darkness. Come up with a new plan here guys. I have really stopped buying games anymore. To much same old same old and depressing. What happened to the fun farm frenzy or beach party crazy for pc to mac. Farm to plate or some of the toms that were fun and challenging. I played beach party craze and the orginal farm frenzy over and over again. Or my kingdom for the princess original. Alot of the tm's can't even play on mac or if they are older don't play on pc at all. I think this game is way to easy and so much like the other ones. Get some new games out. I bought the runefalls but it is impossible finding your way around. And it has flaws. I like Laruaville I am so tired of playing them since once you know what to do its no fun. MORE tm's and lighten it up...

[Post New]by Alien131314 on Feb 27, 17 4:34 AM
Dear abengalcatlover,
The God is OK, and I believe that the Laruaville is not a dark game. And I don't think that Spellarium is dark, too.
If we speak about gameplay, the main idea of Spellarium in comparison with the Laruaville 4 and 5 was to make a game a bit easier than our previous games.
That's why we've changed the power - up system and made it a bit closer to Laruaville 1 ( rockets, for example ).
We're reading your reviews and trying to improve the gameplay, make it more interesting and take into account all the feedbacks, but, sadly, it sometimes happens that certain game features are hated by some people and praised by the others.

Anyway, we appreciate your feedback!

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Feb 27, 17 5:12 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Spellarium here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Spellarium.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Feb 27, 17 8:14 AM
I've never played any of the Laruaville games but I can tell you that I love Spellarium. I am enjoying figuring out the puzzles as I move through each level. This one is a keeper for me. Now to hit the buy button.

Great job developers. I would, however, like to see the wide screen option. I don't particularly care for the side bars but will live with them because the game is so much fun.

WizenedOne
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by WizenedOne on Feb 28, 17 2:46 PM
I agree with Greenshade--way too many bombs in the last Laruaville. Sorry to hear this is like #5. I was looking forward to it. I'll play the demo, though, just to make my mind work

gertie23
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by gertie23 on Feb 28, 17 4:02 PM
This is a lot like the Laruaville games which I like but there is one BIG thing about both of them that is very irritating. When the fire and explosions start everything slows way, way down and it takes forever to finish a level. On this game it started acting up on level 7. I also had to ctrl,alt,del to get out.

FRHgames
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
433 Posts

[Post New]by FRHgames on Feb 28, 17 9:05 PM
Which PC are you using?

gertie23
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by gertie23 on Mar 1, 17 12:55 AM
FRHgames wrote:Which PC are you using?

Are you asking me? If so I have a regular desktop computer running Vista.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Mar 1, 17 10:51 AM
I love the Cursed House series (one of my favorites), and this game seems a lot like those, so I purchased it. I did not care for the music or graphics in Laruaville (to the point where I could not finish the game), so I'm really glad to see this one is a bit more like Cursed House in terms of both. I hope this one doesn't end up being too easy because I like to have some challenge in a game. The Cursed House games (the second two) were a great challenge. I would love to see more in that series. I didn't think the Cursed House series or this game (or Laruaville for that matter) are saying evil is great. Cursed House was about dispelling evil. Farm Frenzy is about killing animals which doesn't seem to be a particularly happy topic to me.

As far as making Christian-themed games goes, I think for sure any developer that makes a game like that stands to offend many staunch Christians. It could definitely be seen as trivializing Christianity, and that would not be greeted favorably.

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Mar 8, 17 9:52 AM
greenshade wrote:I have 1 - 5 of the Laruaville games and am CONSTANTLY replaying 1 - 4 because each one is so unique in it's challenges and different kinds of bombs, fire, ice, stone, etc.

However have only played #5 once because there was so little challenge.. way too many bombs !

Spellarium plays almost exactly like #5. Please oh please, developer go back to your unique gameplay and challenge in these match 3 games.

I totally agree with Greenshade. I love this developer's Laruaville Match-3 games. (I own four of them.) I also love their "Cursed House 3" Match-3 game and have it in my collection. I feel those games are among the very best Match-3 games I've ever played.

I also purchased their Match-3 game "Floria" and enjoyed it, but not quite as much as the previously mentioned 5 games they developed. It was fun and unique but not quite as challenging.

On the strength of my enjoyment of those games, I quickly purchased 'Spellarium". I have been enjoying it, but feel the same way that Greenshade did about it. All the extra bombs in the game seem to take away the delightful challenge that I had loved in some of the Laruaville games and the "Cursed House 3" game. Instead of taking challenge "to the next level", the "Spellarium" game seemed to remove a level of challenge.

Soooooo..... I also beg FRHgames: PLEASE... PLEASE... PLEASE go back to the "drawing board" before releasing any more Match-3 games and create the new ones with the wonderfully unique and challenging gameplay that Laruaville 2, 3 and 4 offered. The new style of bomb you introduced in "Spellarium" actually simplifies the game for me instead of adding to the challenge. Please don't becaome another "run-of-the-mill" Match-3 games developer. Instead, go back to being a "trailblazer" by offering new and unique CHALLENGES in your upcoming Match-3's.

Classicaljazz

FRHgames
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
433 Posts

[Post New]by FRHgames on Mar 8, 17 8:12 PM
Der Classicaljazz,
Well... First of all, thanks for your feedback! I'm carefully reading it all.
Yes, you're right, Spellarium is a bit easier than L5 and CH3. But it is easier not just because of this power - up system. It is easier because match3 levels are designed so.
Actually, I'm being constantly pushed from both sides: part of people are saying "the game is still too difficult and why not to make a traditional game with removing tiles, chains, ice" while another part is saying that the game has became too easy ( like you ).
The main problem is that people
1) want something new and challenging
2) when we make something new, they're totally ignoring instructions regardless of the way how we introduce them. As a result, it takes 5-10 minutes to complete level instead of 1-1:30 and thus gets boring.
Please check your PM for the rest :-). and thanks again for your review!

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Mar 11, 17 3:31 AM
I have all the Laruaville Games (I think). I loved them but they got shorter and easier. (I loved all the details on the island.) The last one really wasn't worth it. I have the Cursed House ones too. I've played several of them more than once but the last Laruaville was a disappointment. I've been playing Silver Tale for the 3rd or 4th time and wondering whether to buy this one. I'm not a very good M3 player but I do like your games. Please go back to putting in the great details.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Mar 11, 17 3:47 PM
I've finished playing Spellarium in timed mode, and I'm almost done with it in limited moves mode. I agree with others that the game is easier than others from this developer. I especially did not like the fact that this game popped up big bombs even though the moves I made shouldn't have created big bombs. This made the game feel like it was "cheating" for me or playing itself. I understand that developers are constantly bombarded by people asking for a game that meets their personal preferences and these will all be different. However, I think there are ways around this problem that don't involve dumbing down the game for everyone to please the people who want an easy game.

One alternative is to make the game the challenging joy many of us liked in the Cursed House series (games 2 & 3) but add an Easy Mode that extends the timer in timed mode and the move count in limited moves mode. Extend the timer to three or four times as long and the moves by the same amount. That should make Easy Mode easy enough to please the players who don't want a challenge.

A second alternative is the one you seem to have used in the Cursed House series. This is to provide plus-ups that are level winners if they are employed. When I played Cursed House 2, for example, it became clear that if I just wanted an easy win, I could use a plus-up. There was essentially no way to lose if I did. So I just didn't use the plus-ups. I enjoyed the challenge of the game without them and players who want an easy game could use them and win easily.

As far as people not reading the instructions goes, perhaps it would be helpful to just include a first untimed level with no move limit. A sort of sandbox level that could be used to introduce all of the new unique features of the game. Alternatively, you could put brief skippable sandbox levels at strategic points in the game so that you don't have to introduce all new things right away at the beginning of the game. That way, it would be clear these are tutorial levels that are introducing new features, players that didn't want to do the tutorial (those who are replaying the game for example) could skip them, and no one could complain that they didn't receive instructions.

The thing that makes your games great is that they are not like all the others. You introduce new ideas, and each level is a puzzle as well as a Match-3. I would be very disappointed if you abandoned your unique approach to Match-3 games.

FRHgames
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
433 Posts

[Post New]by FRHgames on Mar 12, 17 4:17 AM
thanks for your opinions! I agree that there is a problem - for some people even Spellarium is too hard, for some it is too easy ( however, I believe that the game is interesting enough if it is replayed )>
What we will do in order to fix it, you'll see in our next project!

p.s. the most interesting thing for me is that some people think that Spellarium is "the same as Laruaville". I can't understan why people are saying so and what do they mean. I've sent a PM to couple of them but sadly they didn't answer.

skippystwin
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by skippystwin on Mar 22, 17 4:06 PM
I like this game. I like that it has a relaxed mode. Graphics are great. I'm playing it again, skipping the card games, etc. However, I would like LESS bombs. Maybe I'm weird, but I like trying to win a game by myself.

Go to: