cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Comments and reviews for Haunted Manor: Lord of mirrors

[Post New]by cche on Apr 9, 10 1:27 AM
Played 53 minutes, stopped by end of trial content. (5 chapters of 17 according to the walkthrough)
Graphics and animations are very good.
Sound effects fit ambiance, but are repetitious and hence lose their value quickly. Story seems OK, not particularly engrossing. Those who remember 7th Guest and 11th Hour will know how good this could have been.
Play is very straight forward, puzzles not at all challenging, at least for me. Example: decoding a message by merely clicking on the symbols shown; little reasoning involved. Note that some items on your list cannot be found until other actions are completed. This can be discovered via hint, but is not directly indicated.
I always had a hint when I needed one, but I didn't really need any.

Over all, a well executed iHOG which lacks that spark that makes me want to keep playing.

2.6 on my personal scale of 10. I'll pass on this one.

Edited on 04/09/2010 at 1:34:07 AM PST

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

Re:Comments and reviews for Haunted Manor: Lord of mirrors

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on Apr 19, 10 1:41 AM
I really like this myself. Some of the puzzles are really pretty good and I did have to skip only one,I'm sorry to say. (Dumb Hanoi Tower) other than that,I'm having a lot of fun with this.Not overly easy but not really hard.If you want one that is hard (In my opinion) get 'Murder Among Friends' that one is driving me nuts!

[Post New]by greeneyes488 on Apr 21, 10 9:26 AM
Well then please tell me where to turn on the chandelier I sure can;t find it! Thanx

moosish2
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by moosish2 on Apr 22, 10 10:47 AM
I absolutely loved this game! The super-realistic rendering of the scenes where the hidden objects were located was terrific! The antique objects themselves were so real, you could practically feel them!

I liked the little puzzles in between the hidden objects. I dislike games where the puzzles are too challenging and/or require a lot of visiting other rooms back and forth to obtain all the necessary items (such as Titanic, which I hated with a passion!) These puzzles were just challenging enough for someone like me, who plays to relax. Like CaptHowdy64, I, also, had to skip only one of them. As I said, I play to relax. If I start to get too frustrated, there's no point in playing! If I want a real challenge, I get out my Mensa Book of Puzzles - lol.

I also enjoyed the sound effects and the music. Nothing was overpowering; everything fit the storyline and the scenes. Great atmosphere.

I got sad as the game was coming to an end because I was enjoying it so much, but I was then happily surprised to see that they gave us a super-duper last-ditch multi-room bunch of hidden objects to find at the end. Lovely!

I highly recommend this one if you like beautifully rendered hidden object scenes, and logical-to-the-storyline medium-difficulty puzzles. I rate it an A+

Edited on 04/22/2010 at 10:52:12 AM PST

moosish2
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by moosish2 on Apr 22, 10 10:54 AM
greeneyes488 wrote:Well then please tell me where to turn on the chandelier I sure can;t find it! Thanx

Go to the "walkthrough" page that BFG now gives us for each game. You'll find the solution there to anything that you're stuck on.

sukipop
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by sukipop on Apr 22, 10 10:57 AM
greeneyes488 wrote:Well then please tell me where to turn on the chandelier I sure can;t find it! Thanx

Dont know if anyone got back to you on this but iv just tried the trial and if its the same chandelier you have to put all the candles in (14) and then light them all with the matches, be careful tho as the matches only light about 3 at a time

Hope this helps

Sukipop

judella
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by judella on Apr 24, 10 5:09 PM
I give this game a thumbs up! I loved the music and sound effects.... especially that lalalalala lalala and that Mozart piece with the choir. This is the first time I listened to the music when playing a game.Lots of it wasn't really hard, but there were a few challenging puzzles and places where the next step was definitely not obvious. I had a lot of fun with it,

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Apr 24, 10 7:19 PM
It's not Mozart, but Jean Sebelius and the piece is Lachrymosa.....it is an emotional piece and fits with the game..........yes, it was pretty easy, but fun. I like a little easy as opposed to things that make no sense and you have to keep going to the forum or walk through. Any more like this????

[Post New]by carolregister on May 1, 10 8:58 AM
I,personally liked this game. I have played it over and over again. I can't say anything for the music, as I don't have my speakers hooked up yet. All in all, the game is everything and then more. I hope there is a sequel to this, as I would like to have it.

cucumber89
Salmon
Salmon
2,807 Posts

[Post New]by cucumber89 on May 7, 10 10:37 PM
I just finished playing the demo and this is a definite buy for me. I love the music and it's not too challenging, but it's not too easy either. I don't want games that are so hard you have to keep going to the guide to get the answer. Defeats the purpose in my eyes anyway. The graphics are great and it actually made me jump when I kept clicking and the 'screen' cracked. My boyfriend thought that was pretty amusing.

caseypup
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by caseypup on May 7, 10 11:29 PM
Loved the game, but thought it was too short, finished very quickly.

Go to: