mtc413
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

For BFG, my thoughts re: premium priced CE

[Post New]by mtc413 on Apr 10, 10 3:22 AM
First, let me just say this is not meant to be a flame towards anyone who decided to purchase this CE game. And it's not meant to be just some random whining to BFG either--but, I did want to share my thoughts regarding paying a premium price for a CE of any game that fits in the "casual gaming" sector of the software market.

Also, before I paste in what I've already written, I have a question for you BFG -- what's the price for this CE for non game-club members? Are we getting any type of discount at all for being loyal and regular purchasers of games from your site?

And now, on to the main post, lol.

I really did enjoy the 1 hour demo, and I started to rethink my decision to not buy it, but then another thought occured to me.

With the extra levels, I might, MIGHT, get 30 hours out of this game, assuming the extras are quite challenging. But, after you've beat a game like this, there is not much replay value (and I'm talking about after going through and redoing on "expert")

Or, for $40, I can go buy a major studio game, most of which have much more "regular" content, and then (at least most games) will have some sort of online multiplayer which gives the game such a vast amount of replay -- no 2 opponents are ever the same. A lot of others include the ability for people to make their own content (maps, scenarios, etc) which are then shared, giving 100s or even 1000s of extra scenarios, for free.

One game in particular that happened to be the first to come to mind (and I won't mention titles) cost me $40 to buy originally. After literally hundreds of hours of online play (not to mention the 50-60 hours of offline single player content), I bought an expansion pack for the game for an additional $20. For my $60 spent, I probably got something approaching a thousand of hours of gameplay.

So.... I stopped rethinking me decision about this game. I just can't see spending $20 for a "collector's edition" when it's going to give me 30ish hours of gameplay.

Finally, I have to laugh at the term "collector's edition" when talking about a downloaded game. To me, a CE includes a fancy retail box, nicely printed maps on poster quality/size paper, usually some type of little trinket (granted, it's usually worthless junk, but not always) etc... So, I just don't see how a downloaded game, that doesn't come with a single molecule of actual matter, can be considered a collector's edition.

Cherubabies
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,247 Posts

Re:For BFG, my thoughts re: premium priced CE

[Post New]by Cherubabies on Apr 10, 10 3:44 AM
I agree, but you can't blame them for trying!

anpd
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by anpd on Apr 10, 10 4:05 AM
I would say 30 hours for around 20 dollars sounds like one of the best deals in a long time! I play alot on the xbox360 and PS3 and there are very few if even any I played for that amount of time and they cost alot more.

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Apr 10, 10 12:20 PM
Firstly, I think your remarks should probably be made directly to the developers on their sites. BFG doesn't set the price for these "collector's editions". which are called a variety of other things on the developers sites, including "developer's edition". BFG can either bring these developer's editions onto the site, allowing members to enjoy the game in a timely manner, or they can opt to not bother having these editions and to make all of us wait for the regular editions to be released by the developers before we see them.

I would guess that the games you are buying for online play for $40 are not brand new out of the developer's hands. Most games come onto the market at a higher dollar and some come down in price as the number of people purchasing them increases. That's the way of most new things, whether a game or an appliance. Having been a game buyer since the beginning of computer games, I have yet to see a game that doesn't come out this way and most of the online ones hit the market at $80 to $120 when they are first released.

You are also comparing online gaming to a completely different type of gaming experience. Casual games are meant to be shorter than online games. They are meant for the person who doesn't want to spend hundreds of hours playing the same game, but who wants to play a large number of different games each month. Plus most online games come with a monthly fee, particularly the ones that are bought in a box in a store. Not all online games are enjoyable either. I've given many of them a try and set most of them aside because they are either so boring that I couldn't stand to play them or so complicated that they were impossible to figure out... or they were meant for children and marketed to adults! I have been playing one particular online game regularly for nearly 7 years, but I do not expect Big Fish or any other casual gaming site to even try to make their games equal. I play casual games BECAUSE I want to play for a short time and have the game done. If I want to replay the game, it takes me months to get back to it. It doesn't make them "worse" or "not as valuable" as my online game... it just makes them different.

Edited on 04/10/2010 at 8:35:10 PM PST

jenak3769
Clownfish
Clownfish
958 Posts

[Post New]by jenak3769 on Apr 10, 10 12:38 PM
I agree ""valve"" games are a much better deal for continuous play format especially RPG's..But the old saying goes ,,""ya only get what ya pay for""

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Apr 10, 10 12:45 PM
I think the problem I have is the lack of additional content for the extra money.

This is one of the first games that actually offers additional levels in the CE. Most of the others haven't. The extra value has been in things like artwork and wallpapers, none of which interests me in the slightest.

I also think that casual games in general are getting shorter. For the basic game price of $6.99 we are getting 2-4 hours of play. So for a CE, I would expect at least 3 times that much play. This rarely happens.

TM games like this one do tend to last longer than HOGs but I still think it's a question of whether or not we are actually getting additional value for the extra money.

Getting it earlier has some value. Extras like wallpaper, etc have some value. Additional levels have some value. But is it enough? Does the extra we are getting equal the extra we are paying?

So far, for me, the answer has always been no. It's not the price that matters to me, it's the value. Or lack of it.

Just my $.02.

RareFish
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by RareFish on Apr 10, 10 12:54 PM
They really set a high price for this one. $20?!?... no way. I played for an hour, it's a pretty game, but becomes annoying after a while, and repetitive. I love time management games, and bought quite a lot through big fish, but will pass on this one.

Cherubabies
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,247 Posts

[Post New]by Cherubabies on Apr 10, 10 7:26 PM
anpd wrote:I would say 30 hours for around 20 dollars sounds like one of the best deals in a long time! I play alot on the xbox360 and PS3 and there are very few if even any I played for that amount of time and they cost alot more.

It's NOT 30 hours for $20. It's 30 extra levels which can played in X amount of time, depending upon yourself. The real question is are these 30 extra levels the same old stuff you get in the basic 60 or are they something different? If it's just the same repetitive stuff, then NO, I don't think it's worth the extra money.

Edited on 04/10/2010 at 7:28:28 PM PST

[Post New]by mini21 on Apr 10, 10 7:39 PM
first time Ive posted and basically wanted to say that I dont find the CE games value for money and have stopped buying them. Pretty or not I basically buy BFG because its a cheap source of gaming fun.

kimnick
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by kimnick on Apr 10, 10 8:39 PM
I think this game is highly over valued when you get slugged for o/s conversion as well as the game. Yes its my decision to buy the game but isnt there a way I can pay for it in Australian dollars instead. I have brought items from other sites before and they offer paying in your own currency. But I must say I do like this game.

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Apr 11, 10 12:09 AM
kimnick wrote:I think this game is highly over valued when you get slugged for o/s conversion as well as the game. Yes its my decision to buy the game but isnt there a way I can pay for it in Australian dollars instead. I have brought items from other sites before and they offer paying in your own currency. But I must say I do like this game.

Kimnick, yes you can pay in your own currency. When the "buy" screen comes up, (I THINK that's were it is!), there is a drop-down box that says something like "change currency".

As for the CEs, I HAVE NEVER until now purchased a CE. As another poster said, I'm not interested in the screensavers and wallpaper. BUT this game is offering us 30 extra levels and from what I've read, they sound like I lot of fun. I beta tested this game and LOVED IT! I couldn't wait until it was released! I decided to bite the bullet and get it now WITH 30 extra levels instead of waiting for the regular game without it.

Buying a CE is a choice each of us has to make for ourselves. It surely isn't wrong for BF to offer them!

Leaty
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by Leaty on Apr 11, 10 3:40 AM
mtc413 wrote:Also, before I paste in what I've already written, I have a question for you BFG -- what's the price for this CE for non game-club members? Are we getting any type of discount at all for being loyal and regular purchasers of games from your site?

You can find the answer yourself - head over to the developer website (Playrix) and check the price. In short: no, it's the same price.

mtc413 wrote:Or, for $40, I can go buy a major studio game, most of which have much more "regular" content, and then (at least most games) will have some sort of online multiplayer which gives the game such a vast amount of replay -- no 2 opponents are ever the same. A lot of others include the ability for people to make their own content (maps, scenarios, etc) which are then shared, giving 100s or even 1000s of extra scenarios, for free.

It's just not fair to compare offline games with multiplayer titles. If you do, you also have to question the price for each and every offline game from a major game studio.
I also don't see that "most" of these games have some sort of online play. Adventure games don't, RPGs don't (except MMOs where you pay a monthly fee or use microtransaction for items / special service), action games usually don't, racing games I'd say it's about 50/50 - which leaves us with shooters and strategy games.
... and 1000s extra scenarios? Really? I'd call exaggeration. I own several hundreds of major titles and can't think of any fitting in that category.

mtc413 wrote:For my $60 spent, I probably got something approaching a thousand of hours of gameplay.

Great for you. Buy another one of those and your gaming needs are settled for.... dunno.... years?

mtc413 wrote:Finally, I have to laugh at the term "collector's edition" when talking about a downloaded game.

Gaming market goes digital and digital CEs get's digital extra content. Live with it or only buy retail.

Summary: if the price of the CE is too high for you - don't buy it, wait the 2-3 weeks for the regular edition. If the price for the regular edition is too high for you - don't buy it, wait for a daily deal further down the road.
BTW, this works for every major game studio title too. You can't justify the price? Vote with your money.

Yes, it's really THAT simple.

Edited on 04/11/2010 at 3:43:34 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Apr 11, 10 5:46 AM
I wish we could vote for 'good posts' here cuz Leaty would've gotten my vote just now. Well said.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Apr 11, 10 8:33 AM
Leaty is absolutely right about one thing.

Vote with your money.

This works for software and every other product on the market. Don't like it, don't buy it. Enough people aren't buying, the product goes away.

People must be buying the CEs because we seem to be getting more of them all the time. Maybe it's good for developers because the extra cash helps pay for a better quality game.

So far, it hasn't been worth it for me. But that doesn't mean it never will be.

Vote with your money.

Wise words, oh sage fishie!

BakeMyCake
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by BakeMyCake on Apr 11, 10 8:44 AM
Vote with your money. CEs still get to number one, so it seems there is a vocal minority who do not like the thought of spending extra money.

barregar
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,249 Posts

[Post New]by barregar on Apr 11, 10 9:24 AM
I agree with Leaty. Well said.

Cptduzer
Flounder
Flounder
2,474 Posts

[Post New]by Cptduzer on Apr 11, 10 11:19 AM
BakeMyCake wrote:Vote with your money. CEs still get to number one, so it seems there is a vocal minority who do not like the thought of spending extra money.

on a side note;
the ranking is judged by downloads - not purchases.

mtc413
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by mtc413 on Apr 11, 10 6:08 PM
Leaty wrote:... and 1000s extra scenarios? Really? I'd call exaggeration. I own several hundreds of major titles and can't think of any fitting in that category.

I was doing my best to avoid exaggeration, I may have thrown 1 too many 0's in that figure....then again, how many user made counterstrike or unreal tournament maps are there out there?

Leaty wrote:Summary: if the price of the CE is too high for you - don't buy it, wait the 2-3 weeks for the regular edition. If the price for the regular edition is too high for you - don't buy it, wait for a daily deal further down the road.
BTW, this works for every major game studio title too. You can't justify the price? Vote with your money.

Yes, it's really THAT simple.

Yes, I know it's that simple. As I originally stated, I wasn't trying to bash those who choose to purchase this, nor to whine meaninglessly. I was sharing my thoughts regarding why I felt this was not a worthwhile buy in the hopes that BFG would see it, consider it, and maybe negotiate a lower price point with the developers for these types of games in the future.

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Apr 11, 10 6:20 PM
Anyone remember a few years ago when many of these pc games were $19.99 when you purchased them online? I didn't find BFG until almost 2 years ago. I never knew any games could be sold for so cheap. I think the CEs are another way of trying to recover the $13.00 per game lost.

Katybug273
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by Katybug273 on Apr 11, 10 11:46 PM
Misty I remember that well! I used to trial on yahoo and then you'd buy for 19.99 most of the time........then I found another site and this one and stopped paying those prices for games that I beat so quickly.
I get bored with Online gaming as they do offer endless hours but DO become repetitive when you reach certain levels and it becomes endless gathering/farming or in the case of offline Sims - after a few family experiments you get the jist of the game and it's repetitive...still do those things but I like my casual TM/Strategy's to fill in the gaps....also some of those games are intensive loading or gaming. You can't log in an online world where lots of people know you and hop back out in 20 minutes to go to an appointment without explaining and talking and yadayada
So yea, casual is nice.
That being said, I was debating it with Diner Dash 5 and now I'm doing same with this one....19.99 is an outmoded pricing for a downloadable game. It just is. And if I were truly dishonest or wanted to risk the harm there are torrents always of these things...but I don't do that. I don't have too...it's why I pay 2 game site memberships...so I BUY my games. But by offering these at the old pricing markets aren't they encouraging dishonest, unethical gamers to cheat and get the extra's?
And is there really a 14.00 value in the game? I didn't think so with DD5...I haven't played my hour of this and am excited to give it a spin....hearing 30 levels extra is really making my decision tough because that could be an awesome value or again, if easily attainable and beatable - a very poor one. It's really all in the eye of the beholder.
That being said, we're all allowed to have an opinion and give one without lots of rudeness. I twittered about the DD5 being 19.95. I was annoyed. I have supported DD since the first game, and many of their side gaming ventures. The list of PF titles I haven't bought is a LOT smaller than the ones I did! And in addition, many were older 19.95 titles from yahoo or PF themselves. I was in on their game deal with the Wedding Dash purchase. It seemed like I got reamed for being a long time loyal customer to two different game venues when the first release of DD5 was 19.95 and it took so long for the cheaper version to hit the market.

Go to: