Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Mar 23, 17 12:41 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 03/23/2017 at 6:40:14 AM PST

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Mar 23, 17 1:31 AM
At first I was a bit out of sorts, as the challenges in this game are a bit different than we are used to. But then I got to like being challenged a bit. I had no technical issues with the demo. I do want to say that I didn't like the map. The icons that were chosen are a bit confusing. I figured it out, but I can see how many people could be lost with it. It would just be much easier to use more standard icons for places of interest. Other than that, it looks interesting.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Mar 23, 17 4:45 AM
Do you ever feel when you play a Epix games your being punished? Like repetition of "I suppose I should move along"! Doesn't matter what style of game it is, they have the same style! Its like you played it before! Only good thing about this game is I haven't lost my profile! Do they hold the monopoly on most of games that come out! 2 HO games this week! They seem to be teaming up w/ all the other Devs or buying them out! Dont think they read the forums or realize what people like! There getting worse as time goes on! But maybe people will like it!

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Mar 23, 17 6:40 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

[Post New]by fourgrnflds on Mar 23, 17 6:57 AM
I like the game so far...It is fun to be challenged a little more than usual. However, I'm stuck early on in one of the puzzles. Has anyone done a walkthrough yet? The guide does not help. I am just not seeing the next step???
Thx.

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Mar 23, 17 7:08 AM
I totally agree with nanafrazer, same old, same old in all of their games. The introduction was quite good, but the rest of the demo was just so boring it was a definite 'no buy' for me.

I am mourning the loss of the MCF series along with Dark Parables. Myths of the World were very good for their first few games but now they have declined in my opinion.

Edited on 03/23/2017 at 7:32:44 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 23, 17 7:50 AM
I like this game. The scenes are all a little too dark for me, but I like the gameplay and the set-up of the menu, like the black veil over which the text goes.

I am not even going to try to get the morphing objects, unless I see them accidentially. It just takes too long for them to morph. I do like the HOS and puzzles so far. I especially liked the second HOS/puzzle that came in 3 parts, where you have to move left and right. Really liked doing that one.

Collectables are terrible. There is a jigsaw puzzle piece in each scene. Not the most fun thing to look for. I rather collect things that can be used; for example coins with which to furnish a room.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Mar 23, 17 7:52 AM
Well, the good thing is that the Graphics are amazing! The bad thing is that I needed too many Hints. Much of the time I just had not idea what to do. I will say that Puzzles are not my favorite thing and I am not good at some of them. There are some new puzzles in this gam, quite creative, but just sometimes over my head. I cheated a great deal.

The Demo is very generous. I played so long that I actually never got to the end of it. The cryptic puzzles just did me in. Sadly this is a No Buy for me because there is no Fun in constantly getting Hints to know what to do and even then I sometimes didn't understand the Hints. If you want to feel ignorant, this is the game for you

I will say that it is different from any previous MCF which may be a good thing for Eipix. Puzzle lovers are going to have a lot of Fun playing this one!

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Mar 23, 17 8:41 AM
My biggest problem with the game is that it doesn't come close to any of the past games. Broken Hour was not good because of the same reason as this game. Too many puzzles, one right after another makes me loose interest in playing because the game flow is not smooth and the storyline breaks up too much. I really miss the regular HO's that we had with all the beginning games. I'm not into straight puzzles which Epix started in MCF. Also too dark for most of us older players, scenes could be lighter in color. Also tired of over overdone graphics that go on forever! Getting very tired of Epix having too many of the majority of games nowdays. I'd like to see more ERS games, but that's my favorite developer. I won't buy for all the above reasons.

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by faboomama on Mar 23, 17 1:04 PM
YAY for more puzzles like the old Madame Fate and Ravenhearst games. Finally, I can almost use my brain again on those MCF games, though these are nowhere near as challenging as the games mentioned. Game play was fairly rote for this dev, so nothing new or interesting there. The map is...well let's just say it tries to hard to be unnecessarily different. I only played the demo, but I'm underwhelmed by the collectible. Morphing objects in HOS should DIAF, such a time waster, especially when you've already clicked on them. For once, I would like a storyline from this dev that doesn't involve saving some lady or evil dude unleashes the forces of evil. It's overdone and will always be forever boring. And can we get rid of the rain? There's nothing wrong with playing in sunlight. I like sunlight.

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Mar 23, 17 3:52 PM
I'm enjoying all the puzzles so far..but like faboomama said, not as challenging as Madame Fate (my fav) or Ravenhearst. Like some of the previous commenters stated, the scenes are a tad dark. I'm still on the fence with this one...

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Mar 23, 17 4:04 PM
Strange Melancholy Game

Graphics are hideous. Dark, muddy, difficult to make things out. Usual cartoon drawn characters with absolutely no realism. "Maggie" looks faded as if the artist wasn't quite finished with the drawing. Definitely not a top grade artistic endeavor.

VO were not to bad but the character "Allison" had a serious case of the eye blinkies!!

The story line was a little morose for my taste & of course it had to have some kind of unearthly creature.

The HOGS were the usual variety & nothing special. The puzzles were many & most of them were tedious & not to my taste.

Never saw any morphing objects & never did find anymore puzzle pieces after the initial one.

All in all IMHO it's another dud game. Try before you buy.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 23, 17 5:29 PM
Hello friends! Well, we have another addition to this wonderful collection. I love this series, but I don't have them all. I mostly review on the game play and not the story line, as others do a much better job of that than I. I try to give just the highlights and not list everything in a game, as it's more fun to explore and find things out for yourself. That said, this game has excellent graphics, with a lot of detail, even though there is an occasional blurry segment, usually in the closeups. This was not a deal breaker for me. Animation is well done, and the movements are very smooth. The colors are clear and nice. Game play was excellent, with no problems during the demo and the scene fit my large screen quite nicely. Voices are wonderful, but then I do love a good accent. The voices are age and character appropriate and actually show emotion and not someone just reading a script. You can skip through dialog if you read faster than they speak, but I found that the "continue" button did not always work. Odd, had the same problem in the last one in this series. The music seems to play in the background most all the time and is soothing, until it needs to get you moving. The sound FX aren't too bad. We have a lot of wind and stormy weather, which fits this game and story.

HOPs are nicely done as well and are a combination of straight lists, interactive lists and interactive silhouettes. I did not see that you can switch to another game. You do need to find morphing objects in the HOPs, which are not as easy as you may think. For the most part, the puzzles were somewhat challenging in this game. I found that I had to stop and think more often than usual. Again, you can skip all or part of a puzzle if you get stuck. Hint system is very helpful and it does transport to longer locations. This is very helpful, as you do a lot of back-tracking. There is a jump map, but you don't need it with the transport feature, which is also a time saver.

Collectibles were lacking in this one, again. We needed to find 38 puzzle pieces. These are very easy to spot. Personally, I think a good selection of collectibles makes a game even more challenging and fun. I did not see that there was anything else to find during the demo.

The story is the same, but still a little different. I found that I was drawn in from the opening scene, which was very well done. When the game ended, I thought it was a very short demo, until I saw that I had spent almost an hour on it. The game flows quite well and the story was interesting enough to keep me wanting more. Most of the challenge is in the puzzles, but I think most all levels of players would find this one to be a very nice game and worth the price of a CE. I rarely give a game 5 stars, and this one is no exception, only because of the few things I mentioned above. Even so, I still think it's worth a 4.5. Yes, I am adding this one to my collection.

Try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Mar 23, 17 6:23 PM
Even though Eipix is the dev for the series now, they have continued the same storyline for most MCF games of someone trying to achieve immortality. Graphics were fine, IMO. However, the mouth movements for the characters weren't in sync with the voices, but the accents seemed appropriate for the story location. I was able to find a couple puzzle pieces, but I don't remember finding the morphing objects. HOPs were good in the demo and the scenes had objects that were appropriate for the location. I like HOPs more than puzzles, but I found the puzzles in the demo to be fun and rather clever. Since the extras and collectables in this game don't seem to be worth it to me, I'll revisit the SE and decide then if it's a buy for me.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Mar 23, 17 8:42 PM
Finally a game I can sink a couple of teeth into. I barely play these games anymore as they are too simple and rote. While this one follows the formula for the most part, several puzzles were delightfully challenging. I actually enjoyed this more than I have enjoyed an MCF game since Escape From Ravenhearst (it's not as good but definitely better than others since). Games are so disappointing nowadays, this one gave me a little hope.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Mar 24, 17 12:25 AM
Yeah, graphics/drawn art was rather off in many instances but since it really all comes down to game play, I just ain't feelin' it. What is with that map?! No help at all; a huge let-down. Why would they think bars to the left right or middle were going to be helpful? And then when I went to an area with a supposed task, there was nothing to do and hint pointed me elsewhere. This is just bad design.

So let's move on to the gameplay. Ya know what, this so much stinks from the original series that I don't know where to begin. Sure, none of us expects static repetitive HOS scenes ending in really cool multi-logic puzzles to entertain us anymore...oh wait, yes, I think I do.

Please dump Eipix and please bring back the really good logic puzzles; I so miss them.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Mar 24, 17 6:22 AM
This game SUCKS!! Just because its an MCF game does not make it good.
It's dark and too difficult and confusing. There! No fancy words or long goings on from this chick. Not buying this boring and dreary game.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Mar 24, 17 9:22 AM
Lo and behold....they do still make games where I actually watch all the cut scenes and don't just skip those and the dialog as fast as possible.

I found the graphics pretty good, though, as some have mentioned before, some are pretty dark and those scenes would really have benefited from some more light.
Except for a few times this made finding the collectibles and morphing objects not too difficult for me.

The HOS were o.k., this game is quite puzzle heavy and most of those have more than one level. My one serious problem with those were the instructions. I found a lot of them quite confusing and had to either guess or consult the SG to figure out what I was supposed to do. And....surprise!!!....I only skipped a few. On the other hand, I actually liked that the puzzles weren't as easy as they are most of the time these days. I did have to stop and think.

I wish they had more things to do in each scene, most of the time there were only a few things and you moved on.

The map.....I do agree with the other fishies that the bars in the map were a silly idea. Some other signs would have been way more beneficial. And like kgustavson mentioned, the map was limpy in accuracy.

Can't say anything about the VO since I always play with those turned off, and the music really low.

This was the first time in a long time that I got over an hour out of a demo.

I think this game was some game credits well spent.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Mar 24, 17 11:32 AM
DEMO ONLY:
This is not the MCF games I know. Simply mentioning Dire Grove and having the lead character be a detective summoned by an English voice does not cut it. The graphics in this game are not only dark, but they lack the realism of the original games. The characters are not drawn well at all. The whole game is not drawn well.

The gameplay is only so-so. I feel no compulsion to finish the game. I usually don't review demos but may not even bother to finish this one. The real mystery here is why bother to release this game as an MCF? My expectations were high considering the series, but this was just awful. Released on its own, with no MCF tie-in, I would say this is not a bad game, but as an MCF? Dreadful.

As to the extras, I don't like that I can't even see them; how will I know if they are worth it?

For those unfamilier with previous games in the series this might be acceptable, to real MCF fans, no way. Pity this is the release and not just a Beta.

CelticCoco

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Mar 24, 17 1:17 PM
Even though this game is not up to the great MCF standards, it is a lot better than most of the games we've been offered recently. I really dislike morphing objects in the HO's because I don't want to stare a little objects for 20 minutes to find a single morph. I wish they would always put them in the rooms/areas. Much more fun for me.

I do like the graphics and all those puzzles. I'm buying it because I think it will be fun and have replay value.

Go to: