karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

Jewels of Cleopatra Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by karolyneb on Apr 12, 10 5:01 PM
Jewels of Cleopatra Review

Jewels of Cleopatra is a path creation Bejeweled-style M3. In addition to removing blocks to make a path for the character to exit the game, there are treasure rooms to visit and several minigames in each chapter. While the individual levels are not really timed, it looks like there is a timed 'race to the finish' M3 at the end of each chapter.

The good:
No custom cursors
Amazing attention to detail (see karolyneb's note)
Unique minigames (never seen a race game as a minigame in an M3 before - and you don't have to win the race to pass)
Ability to play most M3 levels untimed

The bad:
Having a path preset to the exit on the M3 levels was slightly annoying since the player needed to manually reset the paths to the treasure rooms
Instructions can be slightly misleading

Who will like this:
Experienced M3 players looking for something a bit different
Fans of ancient Egypt

Who will hate this:
Complicated gameplay may make this game difficult for beginning M3 players.

Karolyneb's notes:
While the graphics quality isn't the best, the artwork and hieroglyphics are real - not the fake stuff you usually see in ancient Egypt games (although I don't remember enough to tell if the hieroglyphics actually say anything but I tend to think they don't). I found myself playing tourist more than once to make sure I had seen all the art in a particular level.

grumpy1123
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

Re:Jewels of Cleopatra Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by grumpy1123 on Apr 12, 10 7:19 PM
This game will not run on my computer. I uninstalled it, and tried it again, with the same results - an error message, or a black screen. So I guess I won't be spending the $2.99.

julie2753
Clownfish
Clownfish
542 Posts

[Post New]by julie2753 on Apr 12, 10 7:22 PM
same it wont play on my laptop either shame because i would have bought it, $2.99 looks like a bargin.

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Apr 13, 10 11:24 PM
I have't had any problems running this game and I enjoy it. Bought as a DD. Good value. Nice twist on typical match three (M3) games. There is treasure to collect, insects to avoid and a few mini games. (I like racing the scarabs, but the others are so-so to me.) Still, it is nice that the game designers mixed it up.

I really like the no-timer part. (Although, part of the level scoring does include time.)

If you like M3 games but are getting tired of the same old thing, I think you will really enjoy this game.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 17, 10 12:36 PM
just couldn't get the hang of the archeologist wandering around when i told her where to go... it seemed that she would take the longest path possible if i didn't direct her every few steps, and then when i did that i had a hard time remembering to go back and tell her to move again... i guess i were more experienced in this kind of game, i might have been able to adjust but between the moving around and not being able to click matches while the screen was moving - totally annoying for this player... made me feel impatient and anxious... i like a M3 game that doesn't drive me nuts! back to the crab and paradise for me...

happy digging

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 19, 10 4:52 PM
I have bought this game today as a Daily deal on the spanish site for €3. Its really a great game, especially for this price. But I have found a bug: In the spanish version you can`t save the game. In the german version you can save the game. I highly recommend it.

[Post New]by peglinn on Apr 20, 10 8:59 AM
Wish I would have tried it free before I bought it. Like most of you, it won't open up on my computer. Bought it throught the DD and want my money back. It just goes to a black screen while the music plays. Bummer!! Who do you go to to get your money back for another game that will play?

Edited on 04/20/2010 at 9:00:30 AM PST

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Apr 20, 10 5:18 PM
Peglinn, contact Customer Service and they should be able to help.

omi52
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by omi52 on Apr 26, 10 12:08 PM
When are we going to see Jewels of Cleopatra 2 here? Much better than Jewels of Cleopatra. Hope it will be soon.

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Nov 2, 11 5:57 AM
I found the game really frustrating. Could not get her to move towards the treasure chests, or change direction away from the fastest exit. I didn't enjoy the Scarab race either, though others might. Too fast, no fun, not even for £2.30/$2.99 for me.

Go to: