Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Florentine Elegy Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 1, 17 12:48 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 04/01/2017 at 7:54:30 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Florentine Elegy Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 1, 17 5:22 AM
I'm in serious danger of buying 2 Eipix games in less than a fortnight and that is almost unheard of lately After thoroughly enjoying the latest MCF, I've just finished the demo of this newest Danse Macabre; a series I've bought one or two of but not all of them. This one will be a definite buy!

You are accused of murdering your music teacher and must find a way to prove your innocence. The fact that you happened to be present at the scene seems to be enough for the police, who immediately arrest you and throw you in prison. No CSI in those days, obviously

Lovely graphics as always from Eipix; mostly pastel shades and nothing garish. HOS are typical of this developer but you can opt for Match-3 as an alternative. There are morphs in the HOS and none were difficult to complete. As for the puzzles, some were so easy as to not be worthy of that title but others were trickier. My favourite was the bird-song notes; I really loved this innovative mini-game!

The game is fully customisable with 4 modes of play and the map transports. Collectibles are in the form of 'signs' that resemble bunches of grapes; they can be hard to find. There are lots of extras; as usual with Eipix you can go back and look for the collectibles and also complete the souvenir hunt. In addition, there is of course the bonus game, together with Match-3 and the usual replay HOS and puzzles, artwork, wallpapers, music etc. etc.

There was a nice touch in one scene; after opening a box or something, the little pouch inside had my name on it. Nicely done, Eipix! The only disappointment was the voices; we appear to be in Italy, yet almost everyone has an American accent. Perhaps they all got left behind after the filming of 'The Italian Job' was over

The game held my interest from start to finish of the 70-or-so minutes of the trial and I can't wait to play the full game. The musical theme is one I like and I want to find out if my character escapes the gallows. I really dislike anything tight around my throat, so I'm hoping the elegy (lament for the dead) isn't for me

I'm off to hit the 'buy' button! No technical issues with the demo or the d/l. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

ETA: Corrected location from France to Italy: apologies for that but it still doesn't alter the fact that everyone has an American accent. Also, 'Danse Macabre' was a tone poem written for orchestra and not actually a dance at all.

Edited on 04/04/2017 at 5:50:50 AM PST

Cr1s
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Florentine Elegy Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Cr1s on Apr 1, 17 7:50 AM
angelfish106 wrote:I'm in serious danger of buying 2 Eipix games in less than a fortnight and that is almost unheard of lately After thoroughly enjoying the latest MCF, I've just finished the demo of this newest Danse Macabre; a series I've bought one or two of but not all of them. This one will be a definite buy!

You are accused of murdering your music teacher and must find a way to prove your innocence. The fact that you happened to be present at the scene seems to be enough for the police, who immediately arrest you and throw you in prison. No CSI in those days, obviously

Lovely graphics as always from Eipix; mostly pastel shades and nothing garish. HOS are typical of this developer but you can opt for Match-3 as an alternative. There are morphs in the HOS and none were difficult to complete. As for the puzzles, some were so easy as to not be worthy of that title but others were trickier. My favourite was the bird-song notes; I really loved this innovative mini-game!

The game is fully customisable with 4 modes of play and the map transports. Collectibles are in the form of 'signs' that resemble bunches of grapes; they can be hard to find. There are lots of extras; as usual with Eipix you can go back and look for the collectibles and also complete the souvenir hunt. In addition, there is of course the bonus game, together with Match-3 and the usual replay HOS and puzzles, artwork, wallpapers, music etc. etc.

There was a nice touch in one scene; after opening a box or something, the little pouch inside had my name on it. Nicely done, Eipix! The only disappointment was the voices; yet again we appear to be in France yet almost everyone has an American accent. Perhaps they all got left behind after the filming of 'An American In Paris' was over

The game held my interest from start to finish of the 70-or-so minutes of the trial and I can't wait to play the full game. The musical theme is one I like and I want to find out if my character escapes the gallows. I really dislike anything tight around my throat, so I'm hoping the elegy (lament for the dead) isn't for me

I'm off to hit the 'buy' button! No technical issues with the demo or the d/l. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Actually, we're supposed to be in Florence (Italy), but they managed to insert also gondolas, which are used only in Venice, and the Colosseum, which is in Rome.
Greetings from Italy.

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Apr 1, 17 7:52 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Danse Macabre: Florentine Elegy Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Danse Macabre: Florentine Elegy Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Apr 1, 17 9:29 AM
My trial was not particularly long, just about 40 minutes and I really don't know if I should get this or not.
I found the game somewhat tedious and slow and the fact that the SG shows only 1 chapter and no other indication as to how long this game is (how many more chapters) makes me really hesitant.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Apr 1, 17 12:58 PM
This is a refreshing change from the demons, sorcerers, spell, potions etc that seem to be dominating HO games these days. I only played the demo and it 's a buy and I can forgive the inaccuracy such as gondolas in Florence.

kiddopal
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by kiddopal on Apr 2, 17 4:13 AM
Thank you divaprods for your review. I refuse to buy games with demons, sorcerers and spells, etc. I am so disappointed when a game I purchased does have that element. I try to determine ahead of purchase but as you mentioned that theme is seeping into so many games. Your reviews allows me to purchase this game with confidence. I hope the developers will veer away from the occult themes. Thanks again divaprods!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 2, 17 11:14 AM
Hi all! Well, looks like we have #7 in this series, and I do have them all. The graphics in this game seemed a little blurry, worse in the close up cut scenes. Colors are bright and true. Game play was very good during the demo and I had no problems at all. Voice overs weren't bad, but not a lot of character interaction. It seems that they did add a little more since I beta tested in December, but still fairly quiet. Music was soothing and nice, but often over-powered the voices, even when turned to half sound. Sound FX aren't too badly done, but again, we had more music than anything else. Feels like they got a little lazy on this one.

HOPs are a combination of interactive and straight lists, and silhouettes, with a couple that had a HOP within a HOP. Items were fairly easy to spot, but some were blended to much into the background colors, and some scenes were a bit cluttered. As usual, you do have to find a morphing item in 12 of the HOPs, which is a bit of a challenge since they morph fairly quickly and don't jump off the page. There seemed to be a few more HOPs in this one, than in the last in this series, which is okay with me. You can switch to a match 3 if you prefer. Puzzles are the same as always and are fairly simple as well. Hint system is very helpful and it does transport to longer locations. Quite nice, since you do a lot of backtracking. I did like how my name was incorporated into the game on some found items. That was fun.

Collectibles are 38 hidden "signs," which look like grapes, but hard to tell, they are pretty small, but still easy to spot. The game needed something more in this department. Somewhat disappointing.

I like this series, but this one was a bit boring for me. Maybe the extremely short demo had something to do with it. Just couldn't get into the game. Maybe I need to play on and see if it picks up, but I'm not sure this one is CE worthy. This is a very simple game, with a somewhat boring and nothing new story line. This would be a nice game for a beginner, but not too sure about a seasoned gamer. Didn't check the extras, but they would have to be exceptional to make this one CE worthy. Just not sure if I want to get this one or wait for the SE. There are many CE games that make much better SE games. I'll put this one in my puddle and think about it. I will recommend this one for beginners or those of us who just want a simple easy game now and then...I have many like that.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Apr 2, 17 3:00 PM
This game could have been done so much better, but alas...

Where to begin? First, the game itself is only four chapters, plus the bonus, as it is, I think it's the shortest one in the series. Second, the storyline had some promise, and it seemed to be getting somewhere, but seems that whoever did the game, didn't properly develop the plot, as it seems that the whole thing was finished in a hurry, and that they pulled a fast one at the end.

Finally, for an installment in the series of "Danse Macabre", this particular one didn't have anything to do with dance, or dance music for that matter.

My opinion? If this game had been developed a bit more, and released as a standalone game (without being part of the "Danse Macabre" series), it could have been quite something. As it is, I feel that the game was released way too soon.

katycoogan
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by katycoogan on Apr 6, 17 1:26 PM
I just finished the game and found it rather boring. The BEST part of the game was that you could click OFF the pop-ups! None of the "oh goodie--you got this or that achievement". I find those utterly intrusive and unnecessary. And annoying! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 11, 17 2:23 PM
I downloaded the demo for this as I saw it on the dev's site & thought it looked interesting; the graphics in the sales media here on bfg appealed to me, as well. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, it ran very "glitchy" for me. At the point when I exited, I was told I had played nine minutes, but I only actually played for about two; the rest of the time was chewed-up by the game intermittently freezing. Also, much to my dismay, when I went to pick something up & the cursor changed into a hand, it was flexing (opening & closing) so fast it looked like a spider on speed doing calisthenics. If it weren't for that, I might've tried uninstalling & reinstalling, but I don't think I can take a whole game of looking at a hopped-up-spider-type hand. To those of you that were able to play this & enjoy it, more power to you, & may we all game on.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Oct 11, 17 1:24 PM
I love the Danse series but I have to say to far this was my least liked one. It was just ok. Hope the next one is better.

Go to: