Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: The Pearl of Discord Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 8, 17 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 04/08/2017 at 7:30:14 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: The Pearl of Discord Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Apr 8, 17 2:38 AM
Its Epix! What else can I say! I'm desperate for a new game! Looks like Epix is trying! I have a feeling this will be one of those games that sit in my game mangier for long time! Maybe Ill have more to say after I play it for a bit!
BF have been putting Epix games on sale days! What does that tell you?
Do you roll your eyes when you see Dev on title of game like me! Oh I'm sure I made a mistake & a waste of money!

suniris
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: The Pearl of Discord Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by suniris on Apr 8, 17 7:03 AM
I only played the demo but it looks interesting. There are a variety of challenges. I can't even explain why I found it "off-putting". Definitely give it a try.

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Apr 8, 17 7:29 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Hidden Expedition: The Pearl of Discord Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Hidden Expedition: The Pearl of Discord Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: The Pearl of Discord Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 8, 17 11:04 AM
Another Eipix game I'm buying after what was an excellent 68 minutes of play! If nothing else, I must find out how I manage to get out of the perilous predicament I was in at the end of the demo!

You cannot fault Eipix for the quality of their games; despite the sheer quantity they release, they never let their standards slip by very much. Crystal clear graphics and bright, colourful scenes make playing the game enjoyable; nothing drab or dreary about these surroundings. I liked the story too and the last part of the demo was quite exciting; nothing like the thrill of being caught for a real adrenalin rush

The HOS are mostly typical Eipix which means you don't get an alternative; fortunately there weren't a huge amount of them to get through. Some of the puzzles were terrific; very innovative and highly enjoyable to complete. As usual there are morphs in the HOS and collectibles to find; the map transports and the game has 4 modes of play inc. custom. I didn't check out the extras but Eipix have a standard set included in all their games (souvenir room, collectibles you missed etc. etc.). I didn't look at the SG once during the demo and never have the music playing.

Already bought this game, which is far better than the previous Hidden Expeditions. None of them have ever come close to the first ones made by BFG (Everest was my favourite) ) and they look very different now; I'm not sure the title 'Hidden Expedition' is accurate for some of them and perhaps that should have been dropped a long time ago. This game bears no resemblance to the originals but as a stand-alone it's very good. I look forward to returning to my cliff-hanger of a situation and hopefully getting out of it! My 'H.E.L.P. Agent' reputation is at stake

No technical issues with the demo and after installing the full game, my profile had been saved. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 04/09/2017 at 7:18:34 AM PST

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Apr 8, 17 11:47 AM
I'm with Angelfish106 that this is an excellent HE game. I felt like I was on a thrill ride and found the game exciting. Unfortunately, I wrote most of my review based on the beta of the game and either Eipix, BFG or both made significant changes to the demo. I happened to like the game even more before the changes but in the grand scheme of the game they did make sense. I was actually looking forward to spending some time solving that tricky middle door puzzle to fix the electricity.

IMHO, Pearl of Discord is one of the best HE games in the past year so I am loving it. There are lots of perilous situations ahead and it is fun to find a solution and to move through what I consider to be an excellent storyline.

It is too bad that so many find games from this developer redundant because they do produce excellent games. Some of the recent changes with their games have increased the gameplay factor and that is always a plus.

The HOPS are interesting (even though there is no longer an alternate game) and they are at times tricky to figure out. The puzzles are very good and that is a plus for those who enjoy the puzzles in HOPA games.

I would just like to point out that many of us have been playing HOPA games for years and there is only so much that can be different. It is the same factor with all genres of games so please give the developers credit for the entertainment they provide many gamers. Because I might become bored with HO games does not mean that those new to BFG and just beginning the journey of exploring the wonderful variety and array of games available at BFG will feel the same. Those who are new to playing HOPA games must feel as excited as I did 10 years ago when I first discovered BFG and excellent HO games.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend and I hope that you will take the opportunity to play this exciting new Hidden Expedition game.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 8, 17 1:04 PM
Hi all! Wow, is this really #12 in this series, or did I count wrong? As always, I mostly review on the game play and not the story line, as others do a much better job on that than I. The graphics are excellent, very clear and clean, although some close ups are a little blurry. Colors are very nice, clear and true. Game play was quite good, with no problems during the demo and the scenes fit my large screen completely. The voice overs are well done and are age and character appropriate, along with emotion. There isn't a lot of character interaction, but enough to keep you interested. Animation is well done and some is rather funny, e.g. bad guys in the helicopter. Music was nice and moved with whatever was happening at the time, adding a little suspense now and then. Sound FX are well done and are throughout the game, so there are no dead areas that I found.

HOPs are a very nice combination of find the highlighted word; interactive lists and straight lists. The scenes are quite clear and items are not difficult to find. I did not see that you could switch to something else if you didn't care for the HOP. They are well done and we do have morphing objects in 12 of the HOPs. Puzzles were very interesting and somewhat different. They do take a little time and thought, but are not all that difficult. I did find a few that were mind taxing and a little challenging. SG is the same as all other games. Hint system is mostly helpful, but occasionally says "move on"...frustrating! You do transport to longer locations, which is a good thing, as you are constantly on the move. Did not care for the generic map, definitely needs an upgrade. There is a lot of action in this game to keep you interested and on the move. I got so engrossed in the game, that I forgot to keep track of notes.

Very few collectibles in this addition. Besides the morphing items in the HOPs, we have 38 keys. These are a golden hand holding an odd shaped key. They are not easy to spot in most scenes, as some are faded in color or well hidden in or next to another item. This can be challenging to find. We also have the usual fact cards that give us information on areas and things within the game. Didn't see that they really relate to the game play.

I really like this series. I don't have all of them in this series, but most. The story is different and interesting and as I said, there is a lot of action to keep you interested, and there is some challenge here and there. I never had any desire to jump out of a perfectly good plane, but the parachute jump was done extremely well. I think all levels of players will find this one interesting and fun and yes, I am going to add it to my collection. I do not give 5 stars easily, a game has to be exceptional to get them. This one was close, but still again, not perfect, so I gave it a 4.5.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tasted in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Apr 8, 17 9:44 PM
I've read about Marco Polo and the Mongols, Marco Polo's other adventures in China, Marco Polo's adventures to and from China, his time in prison... never once have I read that he was involved in some Venetian pearl rivalry.

This game is boring and I can't fathom what it actually has to do with Marco Polo. It's like the name was pulled out of a hat because a prominent historical Italian name was needed.

No sale.

SJM51
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by SJM51 on Apr 9, 17 5:51 AM
HI ALL REALLY GOOD GAME.ACHIEVEMENTS DO SEEM TO BE GETTING HARDER, CAN ANYONE HELP WITH VIRTUOSO,HARD HANDED,RAINBOW,AND FREE BIRD,IT WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED THANKYOU

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: The Pearl of Discord Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by CherylParker on Apr 14, 17 3:08 PM
I love the extra achievements! It gives us something extra to do. And they are fun to look for. Just wish Eipix would put them in all the games they put out.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on May 14, 17 6:17 PM
Trying to decide what to say about this game. I mostly liked it and mostly enjoyed it but I personally found some of the mini-game instructions sadly lacking. Perhaps it's just me but several times I ether skipped or referred to the SG which I don't like to do.
All in all I did like it with the developers usually good graphic ,sounds ect.
I basically agree with the positive reviews of my fellow Fishies but not with the positive reviews of the mini-games :/
I'm giving this one & 3/4 out of a possible 5 on my personal enjoy-ability scale.
Played on desktop PC running Win. 10 with no problems.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jul 15, 17 10:22 AM
H.E.L.P is on it's way! Waradi Tayal is in dire need of the agency when a valuable pearl is stolen from his Pearl Farm in Fiji. This is no ordinary pearl, this pearl belonged to the great Marco Polo, and is said to extraordinary powers. Marco Polo entrusted the pearl to his trusted friend, Peter Tayal, before passing away, and the Tayal family has protected the Pearl for generations. The Tayal family knows that the Zambetti family will do anything to possess the pearls powers, because, the Zambetti's never forget, and never forgive!
First of all, I'd like to know how Peter knows the pearl has been stolen if the burglars have rigged the door and he hasn't found a way to get inside yet? Secondly, how did I (aka H.E.L.P. agent) travel all the way to Fiji once I received the distressed call, so fast that the thieves were still in the building? That must be the world's fastest helicopter! Thirdly, why is a pearl farmer a partner with the agency? He's obviously not an agent or he would have done his own agent dirty work, and I'm pretty confident that pearls are not a commodity used by the agency. Besides the absence of logic, I found this latest edition of Hidden Expedition to be a little slow moving, and at times, boring. I fear that this series may be in trouble, because they just aren't as epic as they once were. HE used to offer games that were heart pounding adventures, with a sense of urgency and a dash of danger. They made you feel the need to escape the danger, dodge the bad guys, and nab the thieves, but lately, they are just another game, just another story.
In this Collector's Edition there are the usual Achievements to earn, and the usual Fact Cards to collect, that give you interesting facts about different cultures or items used. There is a Hidden Sign in each location scene, and a Morphing Object within most of the Hidden Object Scenes.
The Hidden Object Scenes are varied with just about every type imaginable. Listed Item finds, Keywords in Sentences, Interactive Silhouetted Shape finds, and Riddle Sketch finds. Twelve of the HOP's have a Morphing Object to find, as indicated by an icon.
The Mini Games are decent, some of which are new. Below are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the demo:
1) Enter the code, using symbols as a clue.
2) Clear a path for the cable to plug into the left outlet, using directional arrows to move the blue switches that aren't blocked.
3) Use clues on a computer to find important year dates, and then find on a number grid.
4) Use a scale to measure the pearls and place them into the correct boxes.
5) Hover over the cross hairs which glow green if you are on the correct path.
5) Pull each parachute cord in the correct sequence shown.
This Collector's Edition has 16 replayable Mini Games, 12 replayable Hidden Object Scenes with a Morphing Object, 11 Videos, 9 Music Soundtracks, 8 Wallpapers, 8 Concept Art pictures, a Souvenir Room, 23 Achievements to earn, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy!

Go to: