bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 14, 10 12:55 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer

[Post New]by cche on Apr 14, 10 1:16 AM
Played just under half an hour, exploring one of what appears to be at least 8 areas. Dialogue is good, and story design appears to be decent. As usual with these RPGs I have a lot of trouble figuring out what I am supposed to be doing, particularly at the beginning. (I didn't get past the beginning here.)

There is a set of 4 icons which provide access to the user interfaces, as well as an inventory where useful items you have or acquire appear. Interaction with the environment involves choice of left or right click on area with or without first selecting an item from inventory. Not clear to me why sometimes you need a left click and sometimes a right click. The icons give you (left to right) a book with several sections, journal (begins empty), dialogues (which after initial dialogue still appears empty), and reports which shows earlier cases. second is a cell phone with a couple numbers you may be able to call. Didn't try those yet. third a question mark which briefly indicates screen locations of interest. fourth is a brief case which brings up the main menu.

Graphics are quite good, with 3D animated movement around the area. As usual I spend more time than I like waiting for our protagonist to walk from point to point around the rooms.

Music seems to be quite good.

Story concerns an apparent serial murder case designed to keep the gore to a minimum while maintaining considerable tension and a dark story line.

Over all, high production values and probable good length are encouraging while patience will be in considerable demand. Yep, it's a pretty typical RPG.

5 on my personal scale of 10; I might buy it.

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Apr 14, 10 3:44 AM
For those who like adventure games this is a must have... I played Art of murder: LA Confidential, and I played this one too and I loved both...
Great story, good dialogues, hours and hours of gameplay !
You will not be disappointed ...
Raska

[Post New]by zivonne on Apr 14, 10 5:14 AM
Thank you Big Fish thankyou!!!
I was realy waiting for this game already played a demo version
and tried to buy it online, but did not succeed
Zivonne

[Post New]by Coronagold on Apr 14, 10 5:31 AM
I absolutely hate games like this.

woolfood
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by woolfood on Apr 14, 10 6:05 AM
Coronagold wrote:I absolutely hate games like this.

And what's wrong with this one? I like the screens...

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Apr 14, 10 6:40 AM
I really enjoy these types of games and there is a walkthrough on gameboomers. I don't understand why coronagold would state he/she hates these games but doesn't explain why. Why bother even commenting if you hate these games, just find something you like and play that.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 14, 10 6:53 AM
hannah57 wrote:I really enjoy these types of games and there is a walkthrough on gameboomers. I don't understand why coronagold would state he/she hates these games but doesn't explain why. Why bother even commenting if you hate these games, just find something you like and play that.

it is nice to be told why someone hates a game but i look at review pages to help me decide whether to buy. so love it or hate it, i want to read it.

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Apr 14, 10 7:10 AM
I love adventure games, too, and am so glad I came here to read other fishies' impressions. Reviews at other game sites were not so hot, usually got a C or C+, and were discouraging. But, I often disagree with the "experts" and your reviews sound closer to how I think, so am keeping an open mind. Looks very dark, though, one of those games you have to play at night. Holding off 'til more reviews here but definitely interested and hopeful.

Edited on 04/14/2010 at 7:12:22 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Apr 14, 10 7:35 AM
Will definitely buy this game. Liked the first one and was waiting for this one to come out. Thank you Big Fish.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 14, 10 7:51 AM
Haven't played the demo yet, but the first one was good. Not exactly my favorite type of LFA, since I prefer the fantasy kind, but hey, at least it's a real game for a change. Those have been scarce lately, IMHO.

Over all, high production values and probable good length are encouraging while patience will be in considerable demand. Yep, it's a pretty typical RPG.

Actually, it isn't a RPG at all! This is a large file adventure, or LFA. There seems to be a bit of confusion about the two genres, but we have discussed this at some length over at the Diving Bell (any of you who haven't visited, please do! We talk about adventure/RPG/IHOG games over there, and it is a serious discussion thread for the most part.). We have pretty much summed it up thus:

RPG: Emphasis on character development, learning skills to strengthen your character, fighting battles, and using potions to complete quests.

LFA: Emphasis on exploring the environment (characters are given to you fully developed), learning your way around and what your tasks are, solving puzzles and enigmas, all on the way to completing your tasks.

Though they run sort of parallel, the game emphasis is different, and RPG and adventure gamers seem to rarely venture into the other genre.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Apr 14, 10 8:16 AM
Thank you for explaining the difference(s) between RPGs and Adventure games, Phatkat Now I don't have to

LFAs aren't for everyone. Those of us who like them have been waiting and waiting and very vocally asking for more, so it's nice to have a new one to play with... ESPECIALLY one with a demo!

lwjarvis
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by lwjarvis on Apr 14, 10 8:26 AM
I tried this game and I can truly say I HATE IT.

missnurse
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by missnurse on Apr 14, 10 8:29 AM
I must say I really apperciate these reviews. It gives me an insite into games I havant quite decided on yet. Hunt for the Puppeteer sounds like a good one! I love adventure games and **** games , The longer the better!!!
Thanks!!!!

[Post New]by sleepingfairy on Apr 14, 10 8:43 AM
This forum has been very helpful and given me plenty of food for thought. I may try it in the future. Thanks everyone!

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Apr 14, 10 9:21 AM
I'm glad I checked here first because the 3 sample graphics look so dark, I wasn't even going to try the demo, but I'm downloading now because of all the positive comments here.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Apr 14, 10 9:24 AM
I've played half an hour and this seems good. But I would say it is definitely NOT an RPG - so please don't be put off. There doesn't seem to be any stats or armour to upgrade or anything like that. This is an adventure LFA game, pure and simple. Seems to be more straightforward than Remedy-type 360 degree ones as well. I am going to finish demo and will probably buy it.

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Apr 14, 10 10:16 AM
Coronagold wrote:I absolutely hate games like this.

lwjarvis wrote:I tried this game and I can truly say I HATE IT.

May i ask why ?

Godolfin
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Godolfin on Apr 14, 10 10:45 AM
I have to say that I am really disappointed in this game. I was really excited after watching the lead in, figuring being a horror buff that I would love the story line. Well, I couldn't get far enough to see if I like the story line. I enjoy games like this usually. I purchased the first Art of Murder and both Syberia but this game is frustrating. I'm not going to purchase a game that I have to keep jumping back to a walkthrough just so I can progress. Also, and I don't know if this is just in the demo or if this happens in the actual game, but I hate having to see through the lead in every time I start up the game. This one is a no buy for me.

[Post New]by gamineannie on Apr 14, 10 11:04 AM
Well, I played about fifteen minutes of the demo, and could not do more than take two photos of the victim, talk to the unpleasant French detective and the more unpleasant boss and wonder what next? So I quit the demo and figured I'd check for reactions here. Only now my demo time has expired, even though I had stopped the game, or so I thought.
Will NOT be buying this one, as I generally do not like games that make me feel completely stupid and do not provide any help or hints to get me over the points the creators feel should be intuitive for players, but are not so for me. Besides the full version file is ginormous! Too much painful "play" for me!

Go to: