Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post any TECH ISSUES for Penguin Rescue here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 12, 17 12:40 AM
A thread for any tech issues you may have. Please also include the operating system you are using.

Edited on 04/12/2017 at 6:32:12 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post any TECH ISSUES for Penguin Rescue here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Apr 12, 17 6:32 AM
Hello everyone!

If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend visiting Big Fish Games Help. Checking out the help articles in Big Fish Games Help is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested help articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen
Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the Forums, or other tech savvy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team.

The Forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using Big Fish Games Help, please get in touch with our Customer Support team. You can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of Support Team, it would be helpful if you could state what system you are playing the game on (i.e. PC, MAC or Mobile), so we can provide you with the appropriate support as quickly as possible.[/color]

*Finally, please reserve this thread for tech issues only. If you are seeking game play assistance (i.e. hints and tips), the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the game's Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion.'

bfgBellerophon

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Apr 12, 17 10:16 AM
I purchased this game elsewhere when it first came out, but it will no longer play on my PC. I would like to buy it from BFG, if someone could figure out why I was able to play all 100 levels, then when I try to load it again all I get is a white screen. I have uninstalled it from my original game site, and downloaded it from BFG with the same result...white screen with no sound. Evidently it was originally compatible with my PC and Windows 10, so this is mystery I would like to figure out.

The technical help offered here as well as elsewhere does not work. I have tried to contact the devs directly, but unlike other devs, they did not respond.

I love this game, and would like to replay it. In fact I like it so much, I am willing to buy it twice (meaning again here with BFG) if I can get it to work again.

Cinnamone
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Cinnamone on Apr 12, 17 10:22 AM
Is there a way to start the game all over again without the previous results. When I buy a game after the trial, I like to start over again!! I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. No luck!

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Apr 12, 17 1:07 PM
Cinnamone:

It's been a while since I played, but I remember that is one of disappointing things about this game in that you can't start a new profile. I had wanted to do the same thing, but I just continued to play until the end. I loved the game so much that it didn't matter. I just wish the devs had included this feature, because otherwise they put a lot of creativity and thought into this game.

If you read my post above yours, I was able to play all 100 (I think) levels, and was anxious to see if the game would let me start all over again from "scratch", but all I got was a white screen. I don't know if there is a connection, but I wish I could get an answer from the devs!

Just to let you know, once you download a game from this site or another, your profile (or in this game, your current level) remains on your computer, regardless of whether you've uninstalled. That's one more reason why the feature of creating new profiles is a positive for these games.

Just be happy you have the game and can at least play! I'm jealous because I can't get to it!

Cinnamone
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Cinnamone on Apr 12, 17 1:44 PM
Thanks Skpjazz for the heads up. I'm really enjoying the game, but had I known that some levels needed a lot of powerups I would have saved my gold before. But you're right, This game is so much fun. I hope to be able to play it again once I finished all the levels!

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Apr 12, 17 2:05 PM
Hi skypjazz and Cinnamone,

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns and questions in this thread. We definitely want to help provide clarification regarding what has been presented.

skypjazz, I'm sorry to hear that there was some trouble with this particular game on your computer. Please keep in mind that we offer support for the games that are available on the Big Fish Games site. To help ensure that everything is compatible with your computer, it is recommended to download a trial version. The following Big Fish Games Help page contains more information on downloading a trial version:

Download a Trial Game

If you decide to purchase the game from our site and technical issues appear, please reach out to our Customer Support Team. The Support Team has the tools to provide further assistance as we want players to be able to play their games.

Thank you skpjazz for taking the time to comment on Cinnamone's question. Uninstalling and reinstalling this game won't lose your progress as the save data is on the computer. Since it sounds like there is no way to create a new profile in the game, please reach out to our Customer Support Team. The Support Team has the tools to provide assistance with helping clear the data for another profile. In the meantime, I'll go ahead and pass this thread along with these concerns to the appropriate teams. If any information is brought to our attention, we will update the forums.

We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding. If you have any questions, feel free to PM any of the moderators. We are happy to help in any way that we can.

bfgBellerophon

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Apr 13, 17 12:27 PM
Thanks for responding to my tech post, bfgBellerophon, BUT...this game was compatible on my computer, as I was able to play the entire game from another game site, and when I finished playing I could not access it again (white screen). And, yes, I did download the trial version from BFG on my PC, with the same result, as far as only a white screen. (I don't mean to be rude to you, but I have downloaded lots and lots of games from BFG through the years, and you don't need to provide me with the help pages on downloading

Big Fish Games is my preferred game site and I am willing to purchase this game again from here, if we can get it to work again. I guess I don't understand what happened as far as playing a game in it's entirety, and then all of a sudden it is no longer compatible on my PC!?

If I contact the Customer Support Team, my fear is that they will not look at the "specifics" of my situation and automatically send me the standard help pages info.

I don't mean to sound like a fanatic , but I would like to solve this "mystery". It is because of what I explained to Cinnamone above, that I can't access this game. I don't know all the technical in's and out's, but somehow I need to wipe all memory of the initial game I downloaded from the other game site, and start all over again. Is this possiible? And would you be able to convey this info to the applicable customer support person?

Thanks in advance for any assistance! (BTW, I did send you a PM)

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Apr 13, 17 3:04 PM
Hi skpjazz,

Thank you for responding and for providing clarification. We definitely appreciate your support of the games available on the Big Fish Games site. I wanted to be able to provide more information regarding downloading a trial version in case other players had questions regarding compatibility and being able to see if games are able to run properly on their computers.

Having games being incompatible after a certain amount of game time is unusual and we definitely want to help look into it for you. For this issue, we ask that you please reach out to our Customer Support Team with a Dr. Felix Diagnostic Report and details of what you experienced with the trial version and the other version. By reaching out to the Support Team they are able to gather more information on the specifications of your system and provide this to the appropriate teams.

It also sounds like you would like help in wiping the data from the initial game. While the Support Team only provides assistance with the games we offer on our site, they are always happy to help look into this for you especially if steps are unclear and players are unsure.

Please take note that the Customer Support Team is separate from the Moderation Team. The moderators do not have access to the tools that provide assistance regarding technical issues and/or account issues. If you find that your issue hasn't been resolved by the Support Team, please reply directly to every email received. This will alert a representative that more assistance is needed as we want to help players access and play their games.

Thank you very much for your patience and assistance. I do apologize that there may have been miscommunication with the PM's. Please do reach out to me if you continue to have issues as I also want you to be able to enjoy your game.

bfgBellerophon

[Post New]by LavenderLion on Apr 19, 17 8:14 PM
Hi,

I just finished the game and also now get the blank white screen when going into it again. I purchased the game through BFG. There were some other bugs right at the end of the game. I'd found the last hidden object before completing level 150 (I'd started and canceled out of the level already so that may have made the hat available to find). After completing the level the objects list again said there was 1 to find. I clicked on the hat and it went half way across the screen and then stuck. Not sure what was going on. Then I closed the game and went back into it to see if the hat was still stuck. Got a blank white screen. Its like it tried to load the game and didnt get very far.

If I want to play again I'll try removing the game and downloading again. I just wanted to report that problem with getting a white screen when trying to go back into the game.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 19, 17 9:18 PM
Re: white screen issue. I don't have the game but this looks like a glitch with how the game was coded since it apparently wants to continue on somehow after you finish the game, but obviously since there aren't any more levels it can't go anywhere else, so it freezes. The way to work around it is this:

1) First get your computer to display all hidden files and folders. I don't know how to do this on every Win OS so you may have to Google for instructions. If you use Win 7 and don't know how to do this feel free to PM me.

2) Go to your C: drive and look for a slightly lighter folder in this filepath:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\PenguinRescue (note: "your user name" is a placeholder...this would be what you named your computer or your account on the computer)

3) Either delete this folder completely or rename it to something like PenguinRescue_bkup

4) Go back to your folder settings and re-hide all the hidden files/folders so you don't accidentally corrupt something later.

5) This will delete all your previous progress so you can replay the game. However, you'll have to do this workaround every time you want to replay or start over, as the dev apparently also didn't include any means of creating separate user profiles for the game.

***Special thanks to a couple of my fishie friends who shared this secret with me in case I decide to try the game out sometime in the future. You know who you are!

Edited on 04/19/2017 at 9:27:24 PM PST

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Apr 19, 17 11:48 PM
The info that SynthpopAddict took the time to provide above does work. I have Windows 10, and I didn't have to do the 1st step, however.

This issue is something that BFG should investigate with the devs because, as more players finish the game, it looks like they won't be able to replay either, and I don't think all players would be able to rename this computer folder. But, if you purchase a game from a reputable game site like BFG, you shouldn't have to go through this process. If you buy a game, you should expect the game to be re-playable. This really needs a FIX from the devs.

I am glad that LavenderLion posted the exact problem I had, because it confirms a problem with the game itself, and not necessarily compatibility with your PC.
I had started a separate thread regarding not being able to create a profile, and
asking if any players were able to start over again after they finished the game. I'm not sure that many players are coming here to the forum to see it and respond.

I originally purchased this game elsewhere, but I after I renamed the folder as explained by SynthpopAddict, the demo I downloaded from BF worked, so I went ahead and purchased it from BF. Since I was so thrilled at being able to access the game again, I paid full price. I have since played all 150 levels again, and had to rename the folder for a second time in order to access the game again.

Prior to finding out how to work around the issue, I did send a request to the BF Customer Support Team as advised by bfgBellerophon, but they e-mailed me saying they had not read my request, but they sent me a game coupon (which I do appreciate), and offered the links to help info. They then told me to send another request if this didn't work.
Of course, in the meantime, I have gotten the game to work with the kind help of others, but if I hadn't been able to fix the issue on my own, my second request to BF CS would have said "please read my first request". I put a lot of thought in trying to explain this problem, so that they wouldn't assume it was like hundreds of other requests.

In spite of all this, Big Fish Games is STIlLL my preferred site to purchase games, and share in the forums, and I don't regret buying this game twice.

sgowans
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by sgowans on Apr 22, 17 4:58 PM
I'm having the same problem as skpjazz. I bought the game from Big Fish and played all the levels. When I tried to go back in and play again, all I got was a white screen. I uninstalled the program and re-installed it & re-started my computer, but I got the same results. I really like the game & would like to re-play some of the levels to improve my results. I'm using Windows 10 on my PC. Please help! Thanks!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 22, 17 7:23 PM
Welcome to the pond!

The workaround is 2 posts above yours. Skpjazz is also on Win 10 and has successfully used the solution twice. Apparently on Win 10 you don't have to reveal the hidden files and folders first - I guess Microsoft took that feature out.

geminijane
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by geminijane on Apr 22, 17 9:34 PM
I don't know if this is a reply or not, but I can't get Penguin Rescue to quit. I am on a MacBook running OS Capitan, version 10.11.6. I even tried to turn the computer off manually, but the penguin would not leave.

Luckystar18
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,663 Posts

[Post New]by Luckystar18 on Apr 23, 17 5:04 AM
Having problems deleting this game off of my computer...error code 346 pops up saying that the program is still running...have tried everything and can't get rid of it! I'm using WIN 10.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 23, 17 8:35 AM
Don't know how to open the equivalent of the Windows Task Manager on a Mac, but on Windows, pressing the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys together should bring up a menu where you can pick "start task manager". Then in the task manager window, select the game program in the running programs part, and click "end program" to force it to quit. It could also be something with the BF GM not registering that the game was closed - if the GM shows as running in the task manager you may have to force it to close in the task manager too, then reopen the GM and try to uninstall the game after that.

Luckystar18
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,663 Posts

[Post New]by Luckystar18 on Apr 23, 17 10:50 AM
Thank you SynthpopAddict for your response...I tried Ctrl-Alt-Delete, as well as uninstall programs...that didn't work either. I ended up having to restart my computer and that did the trick.

KamGoch
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by KamGoch on Apr 24, 17 10:02 AM
I'm having the exact same issue. I played the game...loved it, wanted to play it again and all I get is a white screen. I uninstalled it, restarted the laptop, installed it...white screen. Did anyone ever come up with an answer? A fix?

KamGoch
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by KamGoch on Apr 24, 17 10:21 AM
Thank you, Synthpopaddict (sp?)...I did what you said and it worked! I didn't delete the file, I renamed it Penguin Rescue backup...uninstalled the game, installed it and it did not come back as a white screen, it started at level 1. Thanks!!

Go to: