skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

Since You Can't Create a New Profile.......

[Post New]by skpjazz on Apr 12, 17 5:51 PM
First of all...I love this game! I bought it from another game site several months ago, and had so much fun, as well as challenges. BUT....you cannot create a new profile with this game. I was able to finish all the levels (I thought there were 100 but someone said there were 150...my memory is failing), but after I finished, I could no longer access the game. I am currently trying to find out why I only get a white screen now, when I had no problems with the game on my PC before.

So, the reason I am posting this, is to find out if anyone else has this problem after you finish the game. I can see from the review page that there are others who appreciate this game as much as I do, so please let me know what happens after you finish the game and try to play again. THANKS.

Re:Since You Can't Create a New Profile.......

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Apr 13, 17 8:54 AM
Wow! I was thinking this might be a fun game to purchase... but I'm going to hold off on it to see if the developers will correct this problem and issue an update that allows buyers to play again under new profiles. I want to be able to replay the games I buy as often as I wish.

No update, no buy for me ! ! !

Classicaljazz

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 13, 17 9:23 PM
I don't have the game but wonder if it's a bug that could be corrected if you could find the saved game file and delete it? This file may or may not be in the same folder as the game's other installed files so it may take some investigation to figure out exactly where it went. The extreme option would be to uninstall the game, then go to the registry editor and do a lookup for any files associated with the game still left there, and delete them from the registry. Then do a reinstall of the game so it will be a completely "clean" install and see if that fixes the problem.

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Apr 14, 17 9:35 AM
Hi, SynthpopAddict,

It's good to know that you're "out there" looking out for me and all the other players with problems! I know that you are busy doing other things, so I appreciate your input!

To let you know, I had attempted (sometime back) to contact the devs, but I had no response from them. AND, if you read my posts in the tech issues thread, I had no luck with the "other" game site. But, yesterday I sent an e-mail to the BFG Customer Support Team, on the advice of the moderator of this forum, so I will see what they have to say. What you are describing in your post is exactly what I was thinking (although not as technically astute). Before I downloaded the demo from BFG, I did do a search of the files on my computer (with my limited knowledge) to try and delete any files associated with this game. I hope that the team here will come through with a real solution. If not, I will explore your "extreme" option, and learn more about what I'm doing before I get into the registry.

Every now and then a game comes along that surprises you, as this one did, and not being able to "get at it" is sort of frustrating. As I've stated in another post, it's hard to believe that as much thought and creativity the devs put into this game, that they didn't include an option for creating new profiles.

I will provide an update when I get a response from customer support.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 14, 17 3:37 PM
You're welcome skpjazz

Many casual games are developed by very small groups and/or they may not make many games before disbanding, so it's extremely common to see glitches of some sort with "our" types of games. With the companies involved being so small, it's unfortunate, but you don't always get great customer service when you try contacting them about problems...

You mentioned you uninstalled the game since it didn't work anymore. I don't know how to do it on every Windows OS, but you might want to try getting your computer to show all hidden files and folders first, then do a search for everything related to Penguin Rescue. This way anything left over related to the game ought to pop up with the location that it's in and you can delete it then before trying to reinstall the game. Sometimes saved games are saved under the folder called "roaming/users" or something like that. I'm not a computer techy myself, so can't really elaborate more on it, but I know that many games will save files there because I've seen it pop up somehow in my computer before.

If you have not ever edited the registry before, I would strongly recommend backing up all your data beforehand, because registry editing is something that can very easily crash the hard drive if you don't know what you're doing. Good luck and hope you can get the game going again soon!

[Post New]by oldcrab on Apr 18, 17 11:56 PM
I got all the data off my computer without going into the registry. Started playing it again about an hour ago. The main thing is to get into the app data and get all of that out.

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Apr 20, 17 12:13 AM
Thanks oldcrab for your post. But, to let you know, I have been advised by someone how to rename the folder in the app data -- C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\PenguinRescue

SynthpopAddict and I have posts in the tech issues thread, in case you would like to read them.

I assume you got the "white screen" also after completing level 150.? Did you also have the last hidden object go "haywire"?

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 20, 17 1:39 PM
The last HO doesn't work in the game either? I agree with you skpjazz, the developer really needs to patch the game so it doesn't glitch out at the end at least. Hopefully the mods here will see your post in the tech issues thread and pass it on to the developer.

mkgermany
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by mkgermany on Apr 24, 17 8:45 AM
Thanks for the good tips about how to re-play the game. Before uninstalling, I deleted the folder C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\PenguinRescue , then uninstalled, then installed the game again via BigFish. Worked perfectly, and I was able to re-start from Level 1.
Shame about only 1 profile - it's a really good game, otherwise.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 24, 17 12:08 PM
Hi mkgermany, as long as you delete the saved game files from the users...appdata folder filepath you mentioned, there's no need to uninstall the game. I heard from a friend who contacted the developer about the white screen glitch and she said they are working on a patch that will allow player profile creation too. We just have to wait and see if BFG will release the update. They are typically pretty good about putting out the patched versions for game-breaking bugs like these.

dee1954
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by dee1954 on Apr 30, 17 5:18 AM
yup had the same problem, finished the game and went to go back and find the disco ball I was unable to find and my screen is just white........... I cannot get back into my finished game... what a shame... bf really needs to address the issues... hope they are not the same in pretty snails, love the game but no profile either really stinks too.............. Happy gaming all hope it is fixed soon..............

[Post New]by smj1951 on May 14, 17 9:30 AM
I also reached level 150 and cannot restart the game - get a white screen. Would love to find a solution to this.

FreeBird01
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by FreeBird01 on Oct 19, 17 8:19 AM
I see no point in buying a game that you have to do a work around for the game.

Go to: