Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Phantastmat: Mournful Loch Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 13, 17 12:46 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 04/13/2017 at 6:33:34 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Phantastmat: Mournful Loch Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Apr 13, 17 6:34 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Phantasmat: Mournful Loch Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Phantasmat: Mournful Loch Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Phantastmat: Mournful Loch Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Apr 13, 17 6:47 AM
Its a Epix game need I say more? But I will the good thing so far it saves my profile! Same thing I' guess I should move along!" At least I got sale price w/ yesterdays code!
GAMECLUB. So Far boring! It looks like there trying though. Throw a few monsters in but nothings changed! Really wish I could find something good about it! Maybe others will see it!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 13, 17 7:28 AM
I didn't find this demo the least bit boring; I thought it was excellent. Really good puzzles are what drives these games for me; I can overlook weak story-lines if the mini-games are innovative or presented in a unique way and these certainly were.

Eipix make quality games; the graphics suited the surroundings perfectly. The mist that hangs in the air adds to the slightly creepy atmosphere and on one occasion I actually jumped when suddenly confronted by.....well, I'll leave that for others to find out for themselves. I'm not sure exactly what the story was about but as I said, it doesn't really matter to me. The HOS were typical Eipix fare but there was a Match-3 alternative and the puzzles were excellent.

The game is supposedly set in Scotland, so naturally the first person you meet has a perfectly believable Irish accent He was the only person in the demo to speak, so perhaps we do get to hear some Scottish accents later in the game. Still, at least he didn't have an American accent, so that was a bonus.

As usual with Eipix, you get a collectible to look for; these seemed to be glass dome-shaped containers with something inside. My parents had one with a clock inside; perhaps that's what it was but I couldn't tell. The game is fully customisable and the map transports. The extras are typical of all Eipix games and include a souvenir hunt along with the chance to find the collectibles you missed. The SG only showed the first chapter so I've no idea how long the game might be. I never have the music on so can't comment on that.

The demo expired with 4 minutes left and I found it thoroughly enjoyable. I think the problem with these games is that when Eipix took over the likes of Mystery Case Files, Hidden Expedition, Dark Parables and Phantasmat, they chose to keep the original titles. This gave rise to comparisons between the original games and their 'made over' versions, almost none of which got favourable reviews. Why not just call this game 'Mournful Loch Collector's Edition' and drop the Phantasmat tag? Then it would be judged on it's own merits and not compared to the original Phantasmat game.

As a stand-alone game I loved the demo and it's a definite buy for me I had no technical issues; desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit. And I've just realised that I've morphed into a pufferfish!

Edited on 04/13/2017 at 7:31:22 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Apr 13, 17 1:58 PM
I'm a huge fan of any game with boats and at sea or lakes....any water involved. Although, I really think the graphics and animations are great. Of course, we've seen the story line so many times. Especially for long in the tooth players....like myself.

I recommend this game. Are the sequels as great as the original, in this Series? Of course not. But, that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it. I've yet to find a sequel to stand up to the original. If someone has...please let me know.

As always try the demo....you never know if it will catch you up in it's net or not. LOL

I've also learned over the many years of buying games...if you don't like it at first try...go back when your mood has changed. I find with myself that I've like games the second time I've tried it, and not like games on the second time I've purchased and played it. Mood matters.

Enjoy,
Lisa

edited for spelling: Please great speller's, forgive my spellings and proper writings and punctuation.

Edited on 04/13/2017 at 2:13:39 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 13, 17 5:25 PM
Hi all! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and not the story line, as others do a much better job of that than I. Well, it looks like we have #8 in this series. Naturally I have all of them, but not all are CE versions. Graphics are very well done, right down to the wrinkles. Some close up cut scenes are a bit fuzzy, but not too bad. Colors are bright, but not over-powering and very nice. There seems to be a bit of a long lag between some scenes for some reason, but not overly long. Game play was excellent, with no problems during the demo. Voices are well done, with some fear, urgency, etc. I just had a feeling about our boat guy. He is kind of creepy. You can click through dialog if you read faster than they speak, without losing any part of the story, or any helpful information. The sound FX are very well done and realistic. Music is not bad and changes, depending on what is happening at the time. Animation is really nice and fairly realistic. Be aware, things do jump out at you, even got me once, I hate that!

HOPs are extremely well done, and the same as in the last game in this series. You have a variation of interactive lists, highlighted words, morphing items and interactive silhouettes. Scenes are clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. You can switch to a match 3 if you prefer. Puzzles are challenging and somewhat time consuming, but not bad at all. Mostly, it pays to think a head a bit before making a move. They do take some time and thought to complete. The hint system is quite helpful and it does transport to longer locations. The map also saves you time, but again, I found it to be rather bland and boring. This one has no area identified by anything other than the name, so you best be remembering what each location is called. Definitely needed to show a picture of the area.

Collectibles were disappointing, but nicely done. We need to find 21 morphing items. They morph pretty quickly and are not as easy to spot as you may think, so be on the look out. Didn't find anything else, but definitely needed more in this department.

The story is nicely done and I found it interesting, much better than the last one. I was surprised at how short the demo was, or maybe I was just too engrossed in the game. As usual, I don't give 5 stars easily, a game must be exceptional in every way to get that many. This game was lacking in a few things, but still well done. There is also some whispering when you find objects. I know what I hear, but you may hear something else. If this stuff creeps you out, think twice about this game. That said, I like this series and I think most all levels of players will find it challenging and interesting enough to purchase. Yes, I am going to add this one to my every growing collection of CE games.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Apr 14, 17 12:32 PM
I want to take back what I said about game! After playing it for a while, I agree w/ the others its not boring! Sorry spoke too soon!

CBEEM
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by CBEEM on Apr 15, 17 6:24 AM
As a Scotsman I eagerly try any and all games (come across two so far) purporting to be set here and so far have been disappointed. This game (demo only) has only one voiced Scottish character who speaks with an Irish accent! The game play is too predictable and while I certainly don't want bagpipes, tartan and shortbread, some authenticity would be good!

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Apr 15, 17 5:38 PM
Meh. not loving this. blue green graphics. typical eipix and that's not great.
truly bored. not a buy. so disappointing

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Apr 23, 17 10:39 PM
I think the problem with the most recent slew of Eipix games is the story line; they just don't make any sense. Starting with the most recent MCF (if you can call it that anymore) and then to another sequel where we were supposed to be in Florence but were travelling around in gondolas and then a rather quizzical worst-ever Hidden Expidition story whereby Marco Polo was somehow behind an anti-flood invention to save Venice (umm, I think they meant da Vinci as Polo was more of swindler and an **** and certainly not an inventor) but started with a story line about a pearl. Huh?! And with this story I was confused as well - am I supposed to save these souls? Why did it start out with super-scary clown guy and just fall apart into so-so characters who were like, oh, so you're taking my medallion huh? Well, okey doke I guess; knock yourself out under the lake as I won't stand in your way. Makes no sense. SMH.

Since we're at the point where I can't imagine there are any more mini-games or HOS variants (if there are, that'd be cool though) then we are driven by story. And here is where this game totally falls apart. Except it falls apart AFTER THE DEMO. It's like a whole different team comes in after the first chapter and just drops in game play logs and then all is same ol' same ol'. I've finally had it - been suckered in enough times.

Edited on 04/23/2017 at 10:40:07 PM PST

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Apr 26, 17 2:59 PM
Over all I enjoyed the game, although some of the puzzles really were not puzzles but more like tasks.

I had two major issues with it...
The bonus game was VERY short! Recently many have been almost as long as the basic game.
The game play to find each piece of the talisman got shorter and shorter.

I do find it interesting that I've read several comments about how the 1st Phantasmat game was the best. I did not like it at all. We are all certainly very different.

I've been a member of Big Fish since 2008 (hard to believe it's been nearly 10 years) and I've pretty much given up on seeing anything new and just play to pass the time.

BTW - I played on WIN 10 with no problems at all.

[Post New]by Dragonluna on May 7, 17 3:05 PM
This game was AWESOME!!! This is the kind of game I like... horror... ghosts and creeps!!! 5 stars!! This one and Behind the Mask are my faves.... the others were boring...

Edited on 05/07/2017 at 3:09:46 PM PST

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on May 22, 17 8:50 PM
The main game was very good, lots of interactive play, interesting storyline, not too many HO and a variety of puzzles.

The bonus game however, was on the short side, did not add to the story at all and had I known, I would have just bought the standard version.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jul 15, 17 10:41 AM
Logan's Castle is the Crown Jewel of Scotland, infamous for the Logan Family Massacre, and the evil entities left behind. He who dares to enter, will surely perish, after all, several have tried and failed to return! The entire Logan family was brutally murdered and their family artifact was stolen, an artifact so valuable, they were willing to sacrifice their lives. No one knows what became of the artifact, but if your suspicions are correct, it may be in the loch that surrounds the castle grounds. You're in too deep now however, and someone or something, doesn't want you to find the artifact, in fact, it seems they don't want you to live at all, or are you already dead?
Phantasmat is my favorite series, and no other game has EVER been able to write a storyline as Phantastic as the original Phantasmat, period. One of the reasons I love this series is because the storylines are always really good, and original, and I never know if I'm alive, or dead! Mournful Loch isn't as good as as the last couple of games in the series, but I'm confident this will be a solid game from beginning to end. Another feature I love about this series is that I can always count on the Collector's Edition version to have Morphing Objects (and not just within the HOP's which most games have switched to)
The Hidden Object Scenes are multi-layered with different types such as Interactive List Phinds, Silhouetted Shape Phinds, Sketch Phinds, Multiple Phinds, and even Morphing Object Phinds, one of my personal Phavorites.
The Mini Games range from simple to complex, many of which are new or different versions. Below are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the demo:
1) Press arrows to move the tiles and arrange them so they match the clue shown.
2) Use the knobs to move the sliders to select pairs that comprise each symbol.
3) Select tusks to repeat the sequence shown.
4) Drag the sliders to move and focus the telescope to find the required symbols.
5) Move the teeth to the correct color coded sides using skeletal hands to move and select two teeth at a time.
6) Set the symbols on the pillar so they match the clue shown.
This Collector's Edition has 15 replayable Hidden Object Scenes, 16 replayable Mini Games, 8 Concept Art pictures, 8 Wallpapers, 5 Music Soundtracks, a Souvenir Room, 11 replayable Videos, 12 Achievements to earn, 21 Morphing Objects, Collectibles, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy!

Go to: