bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Welcome to PrettySnails forum

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 24, 17 12:29 AM
Welcome to PrettySnails forum! This is your place to ask questions, share tips, and connect with other PrettySnails players.

If you have questions about how to use the forums, please click the FAQ link on the right.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:Welcome to PrettySnails forum

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 24, 17 1:56 PM
Looks a lot like Penguin Rescue based upon the demo video, but seems like the graphics were downgraded.

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Apr 24, 17 6:15 PM
Pretty Snails is from the same developers as Penguin Rescue.
It is identical to PR except there are snails (obviously), the graphics are not as well done, and seems to be easier to 3 star the levels. It probably gets more difficult later on, but not like PR. I like the Penguins better! No player profile option in this one either.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 24, 17 9:33 PM
skpjazz wrote:Pretty Snails is from the same developers as Penguin Rescue.
It is identical to PR except there are snails (obviously), the graphics are not as well done, and seems to be easier to 3 star the levels. It probably gets more difficult later on, but not like PR. I like the Penguins better! No player profile option in this one either.

Thanks for the feedback I can't download the game yet since I'm not a game club member but my first impression was that I would like Penguin Rescue more too. I was wondering if maybe this is a prequel to PR, since there's a "pretty snail" reference there. No profile creation option here either - are you thinking what I am? At least we have an idea of how to fix it if it happens with this game too.

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Apr 25, 17 10:59 AM
Sorry, but I have to correct my post above, because I was probably a little hasty in my initial statements about this game. No disrespect to the devs, because the graphics are done as well (if not a little better) as Penguin Rescue; I just happen to like the penguins better than the snails. The penguins have more "life" to them, even though the snails are sort of cute when they show their faces periodically.

After playing Penguin Rescue, and going through what I did in order to get that game going again, PrettySnails just seemed like a poor imitation of the game I "grew" to love! Also, since the devs were so creative with PR, I thought maybe there would be other unique features incorporated in PS.

I have purchased PrettySnails (with the coupon BF CS gave me - Thank You, BFG), and I will give this game a chance. Besides, I want to see what happens when I complete level 150.

Edited on 04/25/2017 at 11:05:01 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 25, 17 6:08 PM
I ended up liking Penguin Rescue (glitches and all) enough that I'll have to check Pretty Snails out when I get more of a chance for gaming. Happy gaming, and hopefully you won't need any workarounds later.

tamme01
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by tamme01 on Apr 25, 17 7:41 PM
I have been looking for a profile file with no luck. Any clues how to start this game over?

Any help is appreciated!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 25, 17 8:31 PM
tamme01 wrote:I have been looking for a profile file with no luck. Any clues how to start this game over?

Any help is appreciated!

Hi tamme01, if reopening the game doesn't have you starting all over by default or the game won't open at all now, see if this works:

1) Go to your C: drive and look for this filepath:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\PrettySnails ("yourusername" is a placeholder; this would be either what you named your computer, or your account name on the computer)

2) If you can't find this folder, it's probably hidden as earlier versions of Windows hide some files/folders by default and you will have to get all the hidden ones to display first before you can see it.

3) Delete the Pretty Snails folder from that filepath. This deletes all your previous game progress so when you reopen the game, you will be able to start all over. Unfortunately there is no other way to do so as the developer apparently did not code in any profile creation method to the game.

As an aside - I only learned of this trick from a couple of friends recently but I'm pretty sure a variation of this is how you would retain your progress in a game when you get a new computer or if you had a hard drive crash and had data backed up. Most games these days will store the saved game files in the C: filepath described above, in a folder named for the game or the developer's name (I found saved game files for many other games I have there). So if you want to keep your progress when switching computers:

1) Find the filepath for the game in the same C: folder and copy that saved game folder to a thumb drive.

2) Insert the thumb drive into your new computer and look for the exact same filepath in the new computer, then copy your saved game folder from the thumb drive to the new computer in the filepath.

Edited on 04/25/2017 at 8:39:47 PM PST

FreeBird01
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by FreeBird01 on May 23, 17 4:03 PM
I tried the first of this game. I was surprised that you could play it on MAC. But I have the feeling it is a game that seems so easy when you start out that you buy it and find out later on it isn't that easy at all. So I'm playing it safe and not buying it. I've been taken in by games before.

FreeBird01
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by FreeBird01 on May 29, 17 5:30 PM
SynthpopAddict wrote:
skpjazz wrote:Pretty Snails is from the same developers as Penguin Rescue.

Thanks for the feedback I can't download the game yet since I'm not a game club member but my first impression was that I would like Penguin Rescue more too. I was wondering if maybe this is a prequel to PR, since there's a "pretty snail" reference there. No profile creation option here either - are you thinking what I am? At least we have an idea of how to fix it if it happens with this game too.

Thanks for your feedback in the Penguin Rescue Forum about the problem with both games. I can't understand why they are still being sold? And I would have really been out of luck since I play on a MAC and no workaround for a MAC is known.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 29, 17 7:43 PM
Hi again, I'd answered your other post in the Penguin Rescue forum. I'm sure there is a workaround even on a Mac, it's just that nobody here has posted it and the majority of us are on PCs.

FreeBird01
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by FreeBird01 on May 31, 17 7:46 PM
No doubt there is a work around for the MAC as well. But sadly I'm not going to be the one to come up with it. My computer knowledge is sadly even more limited than my game playing ability

[Post New]by KatesMomWA on Sep 3, 17 5:25 PM
Hello. I was wondering how you reset the game if you are on a mac. I looked at your steps for windows users, but I couldn't find any file like that on my mac. Thank you.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 3, 17 6:15 PM
KatesMomWA wrote:Hello. I was wondering how you reset the game if you are on a mac. I looked at your steps for windows users, but I couldn't find any file like that on my mac. Thank you.

I don't have a Mac but a more savvy Mac user posted this in the Penguin Rescue forum on how to delete the saved game file:

midge327 wrote:As often happens, I continued searching, and found the answer for Macs. First, it is easy to reveal the hidden files - just open the Finder, click using shift-command-period, and the Library will appear greyed out. Click on it, and find Application Support. Then the Penguin Rescue folder. I trashed the whole thing. Toggled the files back hidden. Opened the game and it worked! Hope this is helpful to another Mac user.

You would look for the Pretty Snails folder under the application support folder after revealing the hidden files and delete the Pretty Snails folder only (not the entire application support folder!). As for how to toggle the files back hidden after you're done to prevent accidental deletion of important folders, I don't know how that user did it, but you might be able to Google for more details.

Edited on 09/03/2017 at 6:28:52 PM PST

[Post New]by KatesMomWA on Sep 5, 17 8:59 PM
Thank you. I found it based on the info you gave me. Here are the exact steps and file path for other Mac users:

1. Open Finder.
2. Press Shift+Command+Period to "turn on" hidden files (so you can see them).
3. Navigate to the following path: Macintosh HD/Users/<your user name here>/Library/Application Support/PrettySnails.
4. Rename the PrettySnails folder to something else.(*see note below)
5. Press Shift+Command+Period to turn hidden files back off and close finder
6. Open the game and it will start over with a new profile.

*Note, you can probably delete the folder, but I renamed it to be safe...I reopened the game and it started fine as if I was a new player, so probably it could be safely deleted.

Hope this helps and THANK YOU for your help in getting me here. :-)

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 6, 17 7:20 AM
Hi KatesMomWA, glad you figured it out and thanks for posting the details on how to clear out the saved game file on a Mac. I've seen this question elsewhere so am grateful you shared.

FreeBird01
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by FreeBird01 on Oct 19, 17 8:10 AM
KatesMomWA wrote:Thank you. I found it based on the info you gave me. Here are the exact steps and file path for other Mac users:

1. Open Finder.
2. Press Shift+Command+Period to "turn on" hidden files (so you can see them).
3. Navigate to the following path: Macintosh HD/Users/<your user name here>/Library/Application Support/PrettySnails.
4. Rename the PrettySnails folder to something else.(*see note below)
5. Press Shift+Command+Period to turn hidden files back off and close finder
6. Open the game and it will start over with a new profile.

*Note, you can probably delete the folder, but I renamed it to be safe...I reopened the game and it started fine as if I was a new player, so probably it could be safely deleted.

Hope this helps and THANK YOU for your help in getting me here. :-)
I knew someone would come up with a work around for the Mac. However, I don't like the idea of buying a game that has to use a work around!

Edited on 10/19/2017 at 8:11:34 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Oct 19, 17 11:59 AM
It takes less than 5 minutes to do the workaround but I guess it's all a matter of personal opinion on whether the game is worth buying or not. Many casual games are produced by very small companies (less than 10 employees) and because the PC casual gaming market is becoming more and more a cult following sort of thing, it's highly unlikely that every casual game that's playable on desktop or laptop computers is going to be bug-free. Many of the games I play over and over have at least one minor glitch in them, but as long as they aren't game breaking I just deal with them.

There is an updated version of Pretty Snails out elsewhere called Snoopy Snails, which is exactly the same as Pretty Snails, only they now have a player profile creation option. Whether or not BFG is ever going to offer this version as an updated version to Pretty Snails remains to be seen.

Go to: