cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Crime and Punishment: Who Framed Raskolnikov? Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by cche on Apr 16, 10 1:06 AM
Played 15 minutes completing introduction 3 scenes. Not sure of length, but likely decent, based on the original story and progress so far. It's a reasonable iHOG; the "Genius Intelligence Agency" characters have a bit of personality, which is good, and of course the source material is truly wonderful. Tying them together is not a complete success in my mind. You must find certain items in order to reveal the text of the story. If you haven't read it, it is definitely worth the trouble.

Graphics OK, "hand drawn", style reminiscent of the art of the time and place. Hidden Objects are not always visible, but the scenes are not junkpile (except when that is appropriate) Nothing terribly difficult to find so far.

Music is very well done. Really helps one feel one is "there". Sound effects are much less effective.

Puzzles are not especially demanding so far.

You get a hint in the scene, and finding an axe is said to gain another hint, but it seems that they do not accumulate. Don't click the axe until you need a hint. In addition, the hints do not help in the situation where what you need is in another room. (Bug?)

Over all, I find it pretty good, though not a definite buy for me.
4.6 of 10 on my personal scale.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

Re:Crime and Punishment: Who Framed Raskolnikov? Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by TerryMann on Apr 16, 10 1:11 AM
I didn't continue playing as I did with "Love and Death." I know a few of you that were waiting for this game, you start in the year 2058 and get transported back into the past to solve a mystery that happen back in 1886. I was able to find all the striped red items, though being the year it was- you couldn't make out certain objects, the graphics were dull. I don't think you can skip through the game, you will need to do some reading for clues. Have a great time with this game and as always....Happy Gaming!!! TMann

NouniSmile
Koi
Koi
281,317 Posts

[Post New]by NouniSmile on Apr 16, 10 1:21 AM
I played for 45min. It is nice but too easy.
I'm not sure about the length. Since there is no walkthrough, it is difficult to tell.
I have the impresion that is going to be a short game from the letters (A, B, C, ..etc) that we should find in each scene.
I was able to reach Violetta place and to find Letter P, although some letters were skipped but they are in the right order.
I'll wait to read others' comments

Nouni

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Apr 16, 10 1:40 AM
For the sake of my youth I'll buy this game - read the book at least 5-6 times, and then studied it in college.

Screens are too dark, and I have difficulty to find the candelabra-pen-letter, so I lose parts of the story.

The hint system is very slow.

Plot - interesting point of view...

The interactions are correlated to the plot, no junk piles. A little more light screens would help a lot!

So, "Who framed Roger Rabbit?"...

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Apr 16, 10 1:40 AM
The opening scenes seemed to be characterised by muddy colours and a sense of unremitting tedium - I couldn't find anything that made me want to carry on after 15 minutes (I know this isn't very long, but I really couldn't face any more dull pictures accompanied by plonky music). No doubt it gets prettier, and possible more interesting, but there was nothing here to make me want to find out whether this was true or not. Is this a dull month? I've found practically nothing so far, whereas usually by this time I'm already concerned about how much I've spent on games.

ciscaR8
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by ciscaR8 on Apr 16, 10 2:29 AM
there are 24 chapters if i read that right, not sure if i will buy it, seems interesting, but hintbutton so slow.

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Apr 16, 10 2:32 AM
Good Day Fishies,

Just wanted to post the link to the walkthrough for Crime and Punishment on the Big Fish Blog in case anyone needs it. It has all the Candelabras, Pens and Letters marked in the screenshots so you can read the story if you need it.

Copy and paste the link below into your address bar to access the walkthrough

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/crime-and-punishment-who-framed-raskolnikov-walkthrough/

Thanks,

Margie B

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Mistickel on Apr 16, 10 2:41 AM
One word comes to mind about the game...CHEESY! The story, the music, the graphics and artwork....all were awful. Hints took a full 2 mins to load. You collect an item to get additional hints, but it doesnt tell you how many you have or have left to use. Red dress was actually pink.

Now this I dont know if they did on purpose trying to make it challenging or was a flaw and was just annoying....on the list were coat and shoes.....well there were several of them which meant you have to click on ALL of them until you come across the correct one.

It was very easy and no challenge or thinking at all. I think I only had one mini and it was a simple one that many other games have.

There seems to be several bugs. The cursor turned into an eye in a couple places for no reason. It gave me my hint where I had already gotten an item. The arrow to go to the next room didnt keep up.

One thing I dont like but would put up with on a good game is the credits at the beginning and that's only IF you have to sit through them once, not every time you load.

The only things I found good were you can advance the story if youre a fast reader, the inventory items went with the story and too many misclicks gets you a "cracked glass screen" for 3 seconds which is ok to me.

Seems like it will be short, I got up to "I" (9 of 24 levels) in the one hour demo.

It wants to be a sophisticated iHOG game with 2 rooms sometimes to look for your list of objects in, it's just NOT good, so bad it's laughable.

This one is a NO WAY! for me, not even on a DD.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 16, 10 3:36 AM
The story is good. The graphics I found to be fuzzy and/or muddy, Some objects are to small or indistinct to make out. Some Hints are inaccurate. For example, I found all but one Gold item. I used a Hint which pointed me to a drawer but the item was not there. It actually was in a drawer in the other room. The Hint is long loading unless you find an axe to speed it up.

This is a story of interest as it is an old classic. The Russian location is one seldom seen in a game. The time traveling detectives add interest. The difficulty with seeing tiny, fuzzy and/or muddy items prevents me from continuing. I did play the entire hour but became increasingly annoyed by the visual difficulties.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Apr 16, 10 6:25 AM
Yes, the word I would use to describe this game is "cheesy." The graphics are awful, don't know about the music I always turn it off, hint system is slow, not for me.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Apr 16, 10 10:15 AM
MargieB,

How do you copy and paste something to the address bar and what is the address bar? I know this sounds dumb but I'd like to know. I want to do the walkthrough for a few games but don't know how. Right now I use the windows key to get it.

Thanks,

bbelle

NouniSmile
Koi
Koi
281,317 Posts

[Post New]by NouniSmile on Apr 16, 10 1:24 PM
bbelle wrote:MargieB,

How do you copy and paste something to the address bar and what is the address bar? I know this sounds dumb but I'd like to know. I want to do the walkthrough for a few games but don't know how. Right now I use the windows key to get it.

Thanks,

bbelle

I sent u a PM

Nouni

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Apr 16, 10 7:21 PM
ok I played the full hour -1/2 before work & other 1/2 just now.
Made it through Chapter 10 & per walkthrough this would be another hours (ish)
Seen better seen worse on graphics
Characters have a sense of humor
not really worth 6.99 for another hour IMHO
decent Ihog-rather simple really after what we have had to play with over last few months
maybe DD on a boring day...
3/10 Stars

Volauvent
Manatee
Manatee
3,757 Posts

[Post New]by Volauvent on Apr 16, 10 10:40 PM
Okay, that was weird.

The game starts out fine, which is why I bought it. And don't misunderstand, the HOG and interactive part of the game is fine.

Even the discrepancy between the item you're supposed to find and what it turns out to be is okay - very common in games from Russian developers. For instance, in one scene a "prop" turns out to be a stool. For this reason, I'm very careful with using my hints when playing games out of Russia.

However, the storyline goes pretty bonkers after a while. What begins as a fairly decent murder mystery based on the book, Crime and Punishment, segues into total nonsense.

At the end of the game the developers prepare us for a sequel. I'll be watching the reviews carefully if they do come up with one since they do have a good premise for a short series, but I tend to lose interest when a well-done drama that suddenly wanders into silly fantasy and don't want to spend my money on that type of game.

Edited on 04/16/2010 at 10:41:08 PM PST

Go to: