playmegal
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

Shards Sparkles and Postcards

[Post New]by playmegal on Apr 29, 17 6:02 AM
I still get confused with the difference between Shards and Sparkles? I think that Shards only have something to do with Trina? I think?. How do you get them? I think it is something you do in inventory?

And what are Sparkles for? I see this in the Puzzle page. I looked up the Puzzles entry information. But the information still confuse me.

And since I was able to get friends (I got 60+friends) now. I have gathered lots of Postcards. And these Postcards are piling up in my inventory. What should I do with them.

Level 14 and loving this game. Thank you all for all your help in teaching me this game.

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

Re:Shards Sparkles and Postcards

[Post New]by gohill on Apr 29, 17 6:16 AM
The shards are Trina related....
you can go into your secret rooms and collect the butterflies that fly around... the regenerate every 2 minutes...
They also come from doing Hidden Object scenes
The chests that appear when you feed your pets, sometimes have shards in them
Since you just started, I suggest that you do NOT turn any of your inventory into shards - you can, but, you will need your inventory

the sparkles :

when you collect puzzle pieces, sometimes you get duplicates.... click on the tab that allows you to turn these duplicates into sparkles.... If you still need puzzle pieces to finish the puzzle you are working on, click on the sticker pack.. this will give you options to trade, 9, 12, or 24 sparkles into more puzzle pieces

the postcards just sit in your inventory... sometimes Trina will ask for them... sometimes the fairy quest will ask for one..... some pets need them to craft for that pet

playmegal
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by playmegal on Apr 29, 17 7:19 AM
Oh thank you very much Gohill. I thought that those shards only had to do with Trina. I think that she is the only one that ask for them. In return she will give you a golden key. Am I right? And thanks for info on the sparkles. I just finished my first puzzle. That was fun. Almost finished my second puzzle. Thank you for telling me about the postcard. I was wondering why they are collecting in my inventory. LOL.

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Apr 29, 17 8:36 AM
Trina rewards you with coins and one golden key when you finish her quests...

I understand you wanting keys to unlock furniture.... however.... I strongly suggest taking her requests slowly... she TAKES much more than she gives and can hurt your new game as you try to level up...

If you stay with the game... there are many things that you "can" do, but, that doesn't always mean you "should" do them..... It depends on what you want from your game...

Rome was not built in a day... many of these things will take time... slow and steady wins the race... and no real money is necessary to play if you just take it slow...

I put you on my Lexus game.... I started that new game shortly after this event started.... I will NOT be doing the spring cakes this year.... The final reward is an avatar that gives nothing to help you with the game itself... Avatars are fun, but they do not help with the game.....

I suggest working on achievements that actually HELP you by giving you coins and diamonds ... the higher you go in this game, the more and more coins you will need to level up....

There are some achievements that can be VERY expensive to try and get... for ex: winning eggs on the wheel of fortune... you will get an egg on the wheel to try and win every new day.... I strongly suggest not being tempted to spin more than 5 times/day... and if you are low on coins, only take the free spin... There will be plenty of time in the future to try for this achievement...

Check the box in your secret room and a friend's room, every 3 hours for your FREE gifts... that's 2 free gifts, every 3 hours.... - also get into the habit of clicking on the butterflies in your room and a friend's room every so often for those shards (they return every 2 minutes like the morphing eggs)....

Doodlebug2
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by Doodlebug2 on Apr 29, 17 9:28 AM
Thank you gohill for this great advice. I am still learning hard lessons, even at level 44. Your knowledge is much appreciated.

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Apr 29, 17 9:55 AM
There are many things that give short term gain... that end up giving long term PAIN...

ex: using all your pet food for short term goals... then it takes "forever" to get the HO's to drop more pet food... it can be days to get even one single pet food or the stamps you need, to drop again...

using self-control to delay gratification pays off in the long run.... and though it's short term frustration, it .. in no way... compares to the long term frustration of running out of stamps, pet food, coins,or specific airship items when a person impulsively plays as if these things are easy come - easy go.... The idea that getting pet food or stamps when you need it in the game is rarely true, and becomes even harder to get if you use them all, as you level up...

Set a minimum... if something calls for x amount of stamps or coins to craft.... gather twice as many as you need before crafting..... gathering twice as many as you need each time, is slooooooow going... but, it pays off in the end...

playmegal
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by playmegal on Apr 29, 17 12:12 PM
OMG. I am so happy you reply to my message. I just turned level 14. And I was thinking about selling some items in my inventory. But after reading your input and other people suggestions and advice, I am not going to now. I am learning to not go so fast in leveling. Just doing HOs rooms to collect items and stuff. Starting to have difficulty in not having enough gold, so that was why I was going to sell my stuff in my inventory.

I NEED more GOLD!!!!

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Apr 29, 17 1:12 PM
playmegal wrote:OMG. I am so happy you reply to my message. I just turned level 14. And I was thinking about selling some items in my inventory. But after reading your input and other people suggestions and advice, I am not going to now. I am learning to not go so fast in leveling. Just doing HOs rooms to collect items and stuff. Starting to have difficulty in not having enough gold, so that was why I was going to sell my stuff in my inventory.

I NEED more GOLD!!!!

The best way to make gold is to settle in and do several rounds of HOS and temporarily ignore character quests.

A good method so that it doesn't feel so much like a chore is to work all HOS every 2 or 3 character quests. Do a couple quests, do a couple of just rounds, repeat. Every once in a while you may need to spend a day just doing rounds. No matter what don't just go to the HOS and ZZ for individual quests. Play all the HOS.

By the time you open most of Cloud City you will end up with so many HOS to play that as soon as you finish the last one the first one is ready to play again. Even when the cool down times reach 1 hour.

playmegal
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by playmegal on Apr 29, 17 1:59 PM
Thank you for the advice Silver_hawk. Doing just quests is what is getting me in trouble now.... yep going to do what you suggest.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Apr 29, 17 3:32 PM
shards, sparkles and postcards have nothing to do with the leveling up ....with advancing in the game....they are strictly side stuff to keep players placated and busy between updates......

Shards -- yes, Trina will take them for her quests....but you DO want to do at least 3 of her quests so you can have at least 3 golden keys to open the private rooms.....you MUST open the original room first (which many no longer visit/leave active).....but then you can use 1 golden key to open the Spring room to get to friends' Terraces and to get to your own......Later (closer to Winter, you can use the 3rd key to unlock your Christmas room so you can give and receive gifts under friends' trees).

Sparkles are relative to the puzzles only....the puzzles are what I call "game boosts"....they can help you through rough spots by allowing you to get an item that may be difficult to get, but you don't want to rely exclusively on the puzzles for level advancement......(if so, you will always be short of stamps)

Postcards ..... some are used to craft pets....Trina sometimes asks for some.....Fairy Quests sometimes ask for a postcard...otherwise, they are just a thank you for you sending another player a gift.

When leveling up in the game....first -- I DID NOT even activate the daily quests because the regular ones may send me to the Crypt to get a Murder's Eye and a character quest may send me to the Crypt to get the Eight-pointed Star.....I wanted the Star to work on my levels, and would sometimes get the item for the Daily Quest......so, since they conflicted with the character quests, I tabled them until I maxed out in the game.

Trina......IF she asked for me to visit scenes or ZZ....then I activated her quest because it would automatically get fulfilled by my level/character advancement and then she would give me coins and a golden key......IF she asked for shards and I didn't have as many as she wanted, I did not activate her quest (clicked on the x in the upper right corner to close it out) because I didn't want to always see her on the left side mixed in with the characters and their quests.

(continued next post)

Edited on 04/29/2017 at 3:41:11 PM PST

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Apr 29, 17 3:40 PM
So....for the actual play.....I did as many of the character quests as I could before I hit a roadblock of needing to go back into a room that had not cooled down.....then I went into EVERY other opened HOS and played them so I could get additional coins, stamps, pet food, and a possible inventory item. Then.....if I was stuck for about 20 min....I exited out of the game....did some laundry, ironed some clothes, cleaned a room.....went back to the game and played the character quests as far as I could go....then finished out all open HOSs .....then left the game.....

Eventually, my "free time" got less and less.....and I became glued to my computer seat where I sit still glued for all ages.......heehee......but, you get the idea.

Of course, when leveling up.....I had no pets to give chests, no puzzles, no amulets.....

So....NOW .....
1. I would recommend getting some of the Spring pets as soon as possible....

2. Still do character quests.....then HOSs......and then look at the Strategy Guide to see what quests are coming up...... IF you need something from the Bow Figurine, for instance (that requires 4 visits to the Elfish-Bas Relief) ..... feed a pet or 2 to see if you will get some of the Bear's Fury and Seed of Life to avoid the frustration of needing to wait so many times to get back into the E-B Relief HOS.

3. Use the pets and the puzzles to get you through some nasty part....but don't rely on them exclusively....

4. There are several times when there are several character quests in a row that just take you to ZZs and HOSs.....no crafting and no opening of new areas.....these are perfect places to use your No Cooldown Amulet because you are only gaining inventory, but not spending for crafting and opening.....within that hour, you can get through a section that would normally take 3 to 4 hours.....however, if you use the amulets where you are crafting a bunch or opening a lot of areas....it is a MAJOR coin drain without a chance to build up coins and can be more detrimental than helpful.

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Apr 29, 17 4:06 PM
Also, just so you know, some of the upgrade decorations in your private rooms cost shards. You might want to have a look at all the options & see if there are any you really want. If there are, you might want to save your shards for buying them. After all, your private room is yours, to decorate as it pleases you.
Judging by what you said about the original (ManCave) room, you might not want any of the battle-related stuff available with shards for that room. You are under no obligation to buy anything you don't want to display! Just get what makes you happy.

I would not recommend selling ANY inventory & especially not disenchanting it! Unless you wind up with hundreds of leftover TopHats, BowTies, & Rattles after you've crafted all your pets, which if you're faithfully doing all your friends' Terraces, you might. Those are fair game, because they're not (currently - who knows what the devs will want next year!) good for anything else. So if you've really, really got your heart set on that 500 shard basket of eggs, or that 1500 shard hammock with the kitty in it, & you've got 500 leftover TopHats, BowTies, & Rattles, go ahead. You don't need to save them for Trina. In fact, if you wait until you've leveled up a lot, like to the 50s, Trina's rewards become greater. But if she has a quest to do something you're going to do anyway, like visit HOS & ZZs, might as well accept it, because it's not costing you anything.

I hope this helps.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Apr 29, 17 7:27 PM
Desertdruid.....that is good advice about the private room.....but to actually look at what is available, one would need to unlock the slots (using golden keys).

The original room requires 24 keys to unlock all the slots.....a high price to pay just to see what's inside....

The Christmas room requires 10 keys for the chair, snowman, cushion...unlocking the tree is 0 keys.

The Spring room requires 12 keys for the wind vane, nest, chair, gnome.....pet cushion and hanging eggs cost no keys.

Both the Spring and Christmas rooms look nice enough just using the defaults.....

playmegal
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by playmegal on Apr 30, 17 12:14 AM
I have opened all 3 private rooms. I have 3 pets. The Snow Gryphon, The Spring Rabbit, and the Golden Spring Chicken. But I am still trying to figure out what would be the best regular pet (not a season pet) to get. Like to get the Monkey for a pet a little bit later (the one you win from the achievement).

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I am getting out of trouble because of your advice everyone. Have fun always!!

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Apr 30, 17 6:03 AM
playmegal wrote: But I am still trying to figure out what would be the best regular pet (not a season pet) to get.

Work on getting all the regular pet eggs you can and hold onto them. But... only craft what you can afford. Save the pets that require unique stamps until you have PLENTY of stamps to spare.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Apr 30, 17 6:15 AM
playmegal wrote:I have opened all 3 private rooms. I have 3 pets. The Snow Gryphon, The Spring Rabbit, and the Golden Spring Chicken.

I assume that by "Snow Gryphon" you are referring to Snow Griffin, the free pet -- he generally gives wooden or iron chests......he will never give you a gold pet chest.....maaaaaayyyyyybbbbbeee a silver, but I would not hold my breath....

The Spring Bunny and Golden Chicken were the first Spring pets.....they CAN give a gold chest, but are more likely to give silver or bronze.

Most of the regular pets use a lot more pet food at each feeding......are a bit more costly to craft and they are iffy for giving gold chests.....

I would concentrate on getting the Baby Boy (Baby Girl is a bit more fickle and will sometimes give a wooden chest).....they both require 5 bags of simple food.

Chimney Sweep would be my next choice ..... he requires 4 bags of the special food. .... the Cook is too fickle....he gives gold chests, but just as frequently gives wooden.

Garden Bunny and Jester Bunny both require hard to get stamps.....stay away from them this year. You need your stamps more for the game.

My other choice suggestion would be the Clever Monkey......with the addition of the gargoyle, he is much easier to acquire.......
1. Unlock gargoyle for 0 keys......click on the blank book.....(free---that is 1 furniture upgrade purchase for the Christmas room)
2. Go back to the gargoyle and do the same for each of the 3 remaining books you can display....pay the 1 shard for each book -- you now have 4 furniture upgraded in your Christmas room and will get the Monkey as a reward.

BUT do this quickly --- tarry NOT in the Christmas room.....and be sure to put it back to Spring room just as quickly because others are needing/wanting to use your Spring room to do terraces.

Edited on 04/30/2017 at 6:16:09 AM PST

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Apr 30, 17 6:20 AM
Also......try to get through at least 500 of the Spring Terraces (if you have 50 friends, this can be accomplished in 10 days....easy peasy)......

You get Stargazer as a reward for those 500 Terrace visits.....he uses 6 bags of Rare food....and is good for gold chests also.

(And I forgot to mention that Clever Monkey uses 5 bags of Unique food)......which means you would then have 1 pet using each type of food that does frequently give gold chests:
Baby Boy --- simple
Chimney Sweep -- special
Clever Monkey --- unique
Stargazer --- rare

Edited on 04/30/2017 at 10:49:16 PM PST

playmegal
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by playmegal on Apr 30, 17 9:24 AM
OMG thank you sooooo much Annelliegram, Silver_hawk and Desertdruid. Now I know what to do now. This forum room rocks!!

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on May 1, 17 5:25 AM
playmegal.... please change your Christmas room back to the Spring room....

playmegal
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by playmegal on May 1, 17 6:42 AM
Yep I do. Always leave my Spring room open.

Go to: