Manatee
3,966 Posts

*Spoiler Alert* How to 3 star all the levels

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 2, 17 12:43 PM
Special thanks to these fishies for their earlier tips:
skpjazz
nanafun
duke216

Here's how to exploit the assorted tricks they discovered to 3 star every level plus some of my observations. I finally figured out how to do it...Enjoy!

Edited on 05/02/2017 at 1:46:18 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:*Spoiler Alert* How to 3 star all the levels

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 2, 17 12:47 PM
-In the first 50 levels it's possible to 3 star most of them without using boosters at all if you're good at getting setups and using combos of the assorted powerups from the bigger matches.

-After level 50, pick the autumn leaves if you're stumped on how to get all the stars, as the leaves will get the board opened up faster which is one of the secrets to having enough moves left over or running up the score enough with a cascade.

-After level 100, many of the levels can still be 3 starred with autumn leaves only, but if you're stumped, pick both the leaves and the flower bouquet. Use the flower bouquet to remove all of one color only (not in a combo) preferably when the board is at least 2/3 open (not filled up with leaves, stones, or bubbles).

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 2, 17 12:54 PM
-If you're running low on gold, the fastest way to run it back up is to keep finding the phone near level 150 over and over. You have to exit out of the game each time after finding the phone and then re-enter it to keep amassing the gold for this to work. You can also replay level 30 over and over for an extra 30 gold each time. When doing the level 30 replay you don't have to actually play the whole level through. You can just make a move, then restart it and it will give you the gold. (This may take 2 replays at first as PR does before it starts giving you the coins.)

-On levels with a high scoring cutoff for 3 stars, pick the autumn leaves and flower bouquet as stated earlier and make sure you also have a stash of free move boosters. Use the leaves to open up the board and the flowers to remove a color. It's possible to get 40,000 or more points in a hurry with a good color removal. Then either look for straight line M5s to make more flower bouquets, or use your free move boosters to set up more straight line M5s to get more flowers. Keep using the flowers to remove colors, not in combos. If you can do this 3 or more times this will pretty much get you enough score to reach even the high cutoffs.

Edited on 05/08/2017 at 6:24:43 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 2, 17 1:02 PM
How to 3 star the timed levels:

-I used the autumn leaves, flower bouquet, and the +15 seconds. Make sure you have a good stash of free moves boosters too. The leaves might be optional except for the one level that has the box of stones in the bottom right - on that one you need an element of luck with getting the leaves positioned properly to blast out the rocks horizontally so they don't take over half the screen. Then use the flowers to zap a color for a quick point boost after the leaves have opened up the board.

-Once you've used the initial bouquet of flowers, look around for setups you can make with your free move boosters to create more straight line M5s for more flowers. Don't worry about making regular matches all that much, just focus on trying to create flowers. When you get another bouquet, use it to zap whatever color looks the most abundant on the board and repeat the entire cycle to make another bouquet. On a couple of the timed boards I needed an element of luck to make the flowers fast enough even with the +15 seconds, but it's possible to hit the 3 star goal before the timer expires doing this. Once you've gotten 3 stars, you can either make simple matches until the timer expires, or if there is dynamite in the level, stop matching altogether so you don't accidentally blow up the dynamite and wait out the clock.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 2, 17 1:16 PM
"This strategy is cheesier than rats would like":

-There are a handful of levels where you're not allowed to pick any boosters beforehand or have low starting moves and a high scoring cutoff for 3 stars which don't seem possible to 3 star any other way than this. Load up on the additional moves boosters. If you can pick the autumn leaves and flower bouquet before starting the level, do so. Otherwise, note what the 3 star score is before the level starts. If you have boosters, use the previously described strategy with the leaves and flowers to get yourself a quick point boost. When you are nearly done with the goals, calculate how many moves you need left over to push the scoring bonus up to the 3 star level and start applying your extra moves to the moves counter until you have enough for a large enough scoring bonus.

-Every unused move is worth 3000 points.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 2, 17 1:27 PM
How to 3 star level 38:

-Don't pick the autumn leaves for this one! You want to leave the bubbles and other hard to reach spots at the bottom there for as long as you can.

-Choose the flower bouquet booster to get you the points boost in the beginning, but make sure you have a decent stash of free move boosters. But most importantly, make sure you have lots of gold to buy extra moves.

-Buy the maximum number of extra moves boosters you can and unload them all to the moves counter until the counter is in the high nineties. It doesn't look like there's enough room for 100 or more moves, so I didn't run the counter up past 99 just to make sure it wouldn't cause a game crash or whatever.

-Use your free moves to set up straight line M5s for flower bouquets and use the flowers to keep zapping out whatever color is most abundant at the start. After a while, the bubbles will all be gone and you'll be left only with a few spots in the corners. Be careful NOT to remove those corner tiles! Keep on matching elsewhere, leaving at least one tile on the board and making flowers every so often.

-The tricky part is getting it so the board doesn't accidentally finish while you're zapping colors with the flowers and/or having random powerups blow up. Keep your moves counter somewhere in the high 90s with the extra moves, and just keep on playing until you've either reached the goal, or have over 465,000 points, as having 95 moves left over is worth 285,000 points. Good luck!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 2, 17 1:31 PM
Addendum to level 38 strategy: I think I needed to buy the maximum number of extra moves boosters twice to be able to play the level long enough to hit the 3 star mark, and even then I had to get a little lucky, because I accidentally cleared the last tile earlier than I wanted, then needed a powerup cascade to get me over the hump along with the leftover moves.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 2, 17 1:37 PM
I'm guessing these tips work in Penguin Rescue also, since many of the levels in Pretty Snails are even cloned from PR after level 105. However, it's much harder to amass gold in PR since none of the HO groups there are worth more than 30 coins and replaying level 45 over and over only nets 30 coins at a time.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 2, 17 1:41 PM
Gee, I just morphed into a barracuda which is supposed to be a larger fish than a salmon but I'd swear my salmon guise was a bigger fish at least in the icon.

bfgIlinalta
3,807 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on May 2, 17 1:46 PM
Howdy SynthpopAddict,

Thank you for providing all this great information about PrettySnails. I can absolutely see it being helpful for when players want to 3 star the levels in the game so I've gone ahead and made this thread a stickied thread, that way players are more readily able to access it. Congrats on making it to Barracuda too! I also find it interesting that the Salmon is much larger looking than the image the Barracuda provides, but it certainly is a bigger fish in the pond!

Thank you for helping everyone out with these suggestions, tips, tricks, and strategies. I hope they're helpful for other players too!

Happy gaming everyone!

bfgIlinalta

Edited on 05/02/2017 at 1:46:55 PM PST

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on May 2, 17 4:36 PM
BRAVO, SynthpopAddict, AKA Barracuda, AKA "Tiger of the Sea" !

Excellent tips, as usual! If this (as well as your help in other games) is an indication of how you'll perform as a MLT, any medical lab will be very lucky to have you!

If BFG knew beforehand that you were going to provide your assistance to players in certain games, they could advertise this fact and really boost their sales! (Just a thought )

The Barracuda is bigger than than the Salmon, and also known as the "Tiger of the Sea", but your next rank is a Manatee, which is know as the "Sea Cow"! I hope this fact doesn't cause you to slow down your number of posts, LOL!

From the puny little Minnow, skpjazz

Edited on 05/02/2017 at 4:37:58 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 2, 17 6:58 PM
Hi skpjazz, I've been meaning to congratulate you on your morph to racing stripes Minnow . Don't worry, you'll keep growing as long as you keep swimming in the pond!

I really enjoyed being a pufferfish and was actually a little sad that they didn't bring us the new forums they'd planned a few years back where we were all going to be stuck in whatever fish form we were in at the time forever as an exchange. I was a puffer back then and was hoping to stay that way, but oh well...I'll have to keep working my way through because the other morph I like is the "flying" one

Current "sick fishie" project...trying to get 3 stars on all the boards in the "other" game. Much harder there because it starts getting tough by level 20 and you can't count on having the powerup cascades at the end of the level. I already had to use the "cheesy" strategy a couple of times and play level 30 aimlessly a few times already. BTW playing either level 30 or 45 there works for extra gold.

Edited on 05/02/2017 at 7:02:23 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 2, 17 9:17 PM
Oops, totally forgot about this earlier -

***Exceptions to the leaves/flower booster picks: On these levels, you want the butterfly and the leaves instead of flowers***

-Level 146 (Thanks again, skpjazz for the tip that the butterflies take out the 3 stones right away! )

-I don't remember what levels these are, but one is the board that has the spiral shaped "coils" of singleton spots in the bottom corners. The other one is the one that has 2 dynamite pieces in 2 single boxes off to the sides, and 2 locked snails in 2 other single boxes off to the sides. Again, having the butterflies makes life much easier for getting those doggone weird spots when the leaves aren't reaching them.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 2, 17 9:25 PM
-In case anyone hasn't already figured this out, if you have boosters selected before the level and you fail the board or restart it for any reason, you'll still lose one of each booster you selected. To get around this, deselect all the boosters before going into the level. This way you can "preview" it and decide which of the strategies/boosters are going to work best. Then you can click on the pink button to exit out of the level and restart it with whatever boosters you'd like. Too bad you have to listen to the confused male snail doing his "Hey! Heh!" every time you do this...

-I've just been told a potential patch is in the works for Pretty Snails where they would change the level 38 scoring goal to 75,000 points instead of the 750,000 (yes, that *was* a coding error after all), but the dev is also aware of the "endless gold" with the phone collecting so that might get taken out as well! If this is the case, enjoy this thread and your 3 stars while you can, because without tons of gold to buy boosters, some of these levels don't appear possible to 3 star!

[Post New]by ddinshafer on May 6, 17 12:53 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am SO glad I found this information. I was about to give up but I love this game so much that I didn't want to. I was able to get my coin balance up and got so many tips here!

[Post New]by ddinshafer on May 8, 17 3:27 PM
I just figured out that on level 30 to get extra gold, you don't actually have to play the level. Just start the game, make one move, then use the back button in the lower left corner to quit. Confirm that you want to quit then play again and you will get your 30 gold. Do it over and over to amass as much gold as you want!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 8, 17 6:22 PM
Welcome to the pond!

You're welcome on the earlier tips, and yes, you don't have to completely replay level 30 to get the gold (this same trick works in Penguin Rescue for levels 30 and 45 there too). Sorry for not making that clearer earlier; will update my earlier post.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 13, 17 5:28 PM
Strange discovery: If you try to skip over picking a booster in the early levels when it's introducing the boosters to you (and wants you to pick a new booster that's just unlocked), that brings up a message from the game saying "something went wrong" and you have to exit out of the game! I had to try a few times to get the game to quit too...seems to be another one of the little glitches this game has.

Go to: