*Spoiler Alert* List of HO locations, how to 3 star everything, etc.

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 5, 17 7:00 AM
Episode 1
Rope – large, next to Taila’s dog house
Ice axe – sticking out of the ice just above the “Knock First I’m Shy” sign
Stretcher – red, sticking out of the ice at left of level 9 button
Ladder – on “Mr. Freezer” boat
Cat shaped hook (anchor) – on the side of “Mr. Freezer” boat

Episode 2
“Paddles” (swim fins or flippers) – yellow, behind the streetlamp to the right of the level 27 button
Swimming cap – shark head shaped; underneath the park bench by level 24 button
Surfboard – in the ice crystals to the left of the level 20 button
Catamaran – big yellow boat next to the purple penguin
Inflatable boat – blue and yellow, next to the pair of loungers left of the level 30 button

Episode 3
Snowshoes – red, behind the penguin statue and to the left of the clothesline and red carpet leading from igloo
Sleds – actually there’s only one, it’s buried in the snow to the left of the level 31 button
Ski – LOL there’s a pair of them but only the red poles are showing by the multicolored crystals to the right of the level 32 button and streetlamp
Skates – next to the penguin statue by level 39 button
Snowboard – to the left of the giant gold pocket watch

Re:*Spoiler Alert* List of HO locations, how to 3 star everything, etc.

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 5, 17 7:02 AM
Episode 4
Iron – to the right of the level 57 button in the snow
Toaster – hiding in the rainbow crystals to the left of the level 48 button
Sandwich maker – (?) yellow bag under palm tree next to level 53 button
Curling iron – down by the roots of the large tree to left of level 60 button, right underneath the clouds
Electric kettle – look for the blue “button” on a silver platform to right of level 49 button and red flower

Episode 5
Rocking chair – hiding behind blue house to the left of the level 66 button
Warm house slippers – pale blue with large white polka dots; hiding behind house on right of the level 67 button
Plaid blanket – behind the penguin statue to the right of the level 70 button
Bone – underneath the snow to the left of the level 70 button and in front of the clock tower
Rug - pink/fuchsia striped one to the right of the level 71 button in front of the house and behind penguin statue

Episode 6
Gorilla footstep – look for the large cracked pot in the sand to the right of the level 80 button. Then just to the left of the cactus there.
Kangaroo footstep – small tracks by the pink pot in the sand left of the level 83 button
Dinosaur footstep – up on the cliffs to the right just below the camels
Elephant footstep – to the left of the immersion water heater in the sand
Fur seal footstep – faint arc-shaped prints to the left of the cactus near the camels

Episode 7
Goggles – underneath the tree on the floating “island” to the right of the level 91 button and yellow lamp
Mustache comb – green, well hidden behind the leftmost of two trees over to the left of the level 92 button
Ball – beach ball behind the tree to the right of the level 97 button and the ladder
Sweater – has a Christmas tree on it and hanging on a hanger off the bridge beneath the level 104 button
Fish – really well hidden, black pair of fish underneath a snowdrift past the bridge in between the levels 104 and 105 buttons (there’s a lamp underneath the snowdrift)

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 5, 17 7:03 AM
Episode 8
Shovel – on the side of the house next to the 3 trees by level 118 button
Pickaxe – buried in snow behind the house with the purple roof (by level 109)
Axe – in the log to the right of the well (by level 115 button)
Sword – hiding in the rainbow crystals to the right of the level 111 button
Excavator – behind tree on the left of level 119 button

Episode 9
Broken box – look for the two loose logs above the “Mr. Freezer” boat left of the level 132 button
Blunt pickaxe – hiding behind crystals to right of level 129 button
A heap of stones – brown pile of rocks behind the lighthouse
Bent sword – look for the handle sticking out by the prow of “Mr. Freezer” (near level 128 button)
Broken sleds – actually only one, to the right of the level 128 button under the snow

Episode 10
Sparkler – up near the top to the left of the castle, sticking out of the ice underneath the fireworks display
Party popper – in the multicolored crystals to the right of the level 140 button
Disco ball – to the right of the igloo in between the 2 trees (right of the level 136 button)
Heart shaped glasses – behind the rainbow crystals near the red balloon to the right of the level 148 button
Party hat – in the rainbow crystals next to the igloo on the left of the level 146 button

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 5, 17 7:07 AM
How to 3 star all the levels:

The book on how to do this is posted in the Pretty Snails forum, as that game is extremely similar to Penguin Rescue:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/909940.page

My particular notes to add on this for Penguin Rescue:

-You'll need your boosters sooner here, as this game gets harder faster than Pretty Snails does. It's still a good idea to "preview" the level first making sure all the boosters were deselected first and maybe making a few moves to see what strategy/boosters you want.

-Sadly, the strategy that works about half the time is the "cheesy" one, so make sure you buy moves regularly.

-Since there's no indication in the popups as to what the 3 star cutoff is, you have to guess on this if you're using the "cheesy" strategy so it's best to go a little overboard with adding moves. [update 5/21/17] I just discovered that if you mouse over each star on the left, it tells you what the cutoff for each of those stars is.

-Strategy for the timed levels is the same. If you're fast enough you won't need the +15 seconds booster though.

-I found myself using the free move booster more often to create colorful penguins.

Edited on 05/21/2017 at 9:47:48 AM PST

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 5, 17 7:10 AM
-The "free gold" levels are 30 and 45 which will give you 30 gold every time you replay. I found 45 easier to deal with so used that one. You have to replay at least twice before it starts giving you the gold each time. However, you don't actually have to play all the way through. I would make the initial 1-2 moves in the level and then click restart and it will still give you the gold.

-If you don't play level 150, you can still use the "finding party hat" over and over by exiting and re-entering the game each time, much as the "phone" trick worked in Pretty Snails, but this only nets you 30 gold here.

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 5, 17 7:12 AM
-Exceptions to the ice cream and colorful penguin booster picks are exactly the same here as in Pretty Snails (level 146, the level with the "spiral" singleton coils at the bottom corners, and the level with the 4 singleton spaces on the sides with 2 dynamites and 2 locked penguins respectively). On these you want the snow cannon and the ice cream, not the colorful penguin.

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 5, 17 7:23 AM
Weird thoughts probably from playing too much: (Hey Big Fish, I saw DragonScales 3 was out on another site...can you hurry on up and get that here so I have something else to play LOL?)

-Just where is that seal finding a power outlet to plug in all those immersion water heaters? LOL

-Poor penguins when they get to the desert scene in the map...thank goodness they didn't have "salt flats" in the Pretty Snails map.

-Does anyone else think "Eat the bomb!!!" on levels 107 and 122? It's about the only time I like those flowers from perdition! (If they eat the dynamite, it's gone. )

-I feel sorry for that pufferfish in the ice cube that the seal's shaking for a toy. That was my favorite morph to date here and can't help thinking I need a "Free the Puffer" campaign when I play Penguin Rescue long enough...

-The very last episode completed popup says you finished episode 11 and not 10! Maybe that's why it glitches out and you have to erase the saved game data before you can replay?

Edited on 05/05/2017 at 7:35:11 AM PST

skpjazz
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on May 5, 17 3:00 PM
Again - Great job on the list and additional tips.

As for the weird thoughts....when you go through the map as many times as you have (and that includes me, too), it's perfectly normal? to pick up on these things! I never noticed, however, the pufferfish in the ice cube, and if I had, I would never have thought it was his toy! Now, that is either a very astute observation on your part, or some deep-rooted psychoneurosis (yes, I took Psych 101)! As for the "Free the Puffer" campaign...if the "iced puffer" was his toy, who's to say that it isn't a "rubber puffie"? Well?

In your descriptions of the HO locations, I noticed that you did refer to Taila's house as a dog house (which it is). But, if Taila is a cat, you failed to ask "Why is she living in a dog house"? Is she married or living with a dog-friend? After all, there is a "dog bone" in the food dish outside. Is she a trans-species? These are all logical and pertinent questions.

I think that this was mentioned somewhere else...but did you notice that at the level 150 button, when you hover over the picture of Teddy, it says "Pretty Snail"?

Lastly, Big Fish and other devs really need to start putting out more M3s so that we can focus our attention to other "worlds", before we end up in the loony tunes!

Edited on 05/07/2017 at 2:44:04 PM PST

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 5, 17 4:56 PM
A "rubber puffie" - I forgot to consider that one. Must still be traumatized thinking about how there used to be some here who would bounce a around as a game!

I can't figure out if Taila is supposed to be a dog or a cat now. I thought she was a cat or maybe a fox, but perhaps she's actually a dog? (Sorry Taila!)

I did notice the "pretty snail" reference with Teddy's thumbnail - you can get that at other spots in the map too, just not consistently. It had made me wonder if PS was either a prequel, or had been designed first, and then the dev forgot to change it.

Edited on 05/05/2017 at 5:01:45 PM PST

skpjazz
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on May 7, 17 1:10 PM
SynthpopAddict, I know this doesn't make any difference (since we were both just being "silly" in the above posts ), but I had to come back to let you know that I did notice the seal shaking (as well as rubbing) the pufferfish in the ice cube! When I was replaying level 80 earlier (regarding the other thread on this), I finally looked closer at the popup for "level failed". After testing out this level many times, and seeing that popup so many times, I finally saw what the seal was doing. I was wondering before where you saw him shaking it, but now I know! YOU notice everything and don't miss a thing!

Also, for the record, I hope no one thinks that I was being serious in my "running on" about Taila. All in fun!! (I still think she's a cat with a purple wig, but now I'm not 100% sure, LOL!)

Edited on 05/07/2017 at 1:17:31 PM PST

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 8, 17 7:54 AM
More things that happen when one doesn't miss much: That ice cream sort of creeps me out looking at how it's constantly bouncing around in those cones, which appear to be possessed. Never mind that it's also colored with Day-Glo stripes. I'm glad I'm a lactose-intolerant fishie so I have no urge to run out and grab a bucket of ice cream during long playing sessions.

Would go into why I don't play the HOS in JM Royale anymore but that's another silly story LOL...

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 19, 17 11:34 AM
How to get the colorful penguin to calm down: Sometimes when a colorful penguin forms in a cascade, he gets stuck in a large, wiggling around form which I've found pretty distracting. I finally figured out by accident that if you click on him once while he's doing that, he'll shrink down to his usual size and stop moving too.

Go to: