Level 80

[Post New]by mustangcelli on May 5, 17 11:12 PM
I keep having the same issue with Level 80. Most of the time at the start of the level I have one move available. After I use the only available move, then the game states "out of moves; no more moves available" and I lose any boosters because the level is over.

When I do make it through the level, I can't seem to find either of the components. What am I missing? How has everyone else made it through this level?

Thank you!!

Re:Level 80

[Post New]by mustangcelli on May 6, 17 3:26 AM
I answered my own post - only because I accidentally figured it out. In case this helps anyone else, this is what worked for me:

1) I didn't start the level with any boosters. That stopped the "no more moves", ending of level problem.

2) I was thinking it had to be a combo of two "supers" of the same color. It's not. One can combine a row or column clearing penguin of any color with another color. Also, combining a bomb with a row/column clearing penguin didn't create a "super" (as far as removing a component).

I knew it must be "easy" overall. And now I feel like a silly little jellyfish!!!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 6, 17 9:47 AM
That's strange that the game would forfeit a level for you because you'd run out of moves. In my version it automatically reshuffles the penguins.

[Post New]by mustangcelli on May 7, 17 12:58 AM
SynthpopAddict:

I've been reading your posts and obviously you are very knowledgeable about this game. Since the level only has one column available to use for moves, if I use a booster such as a Colorful Penguin, and it's not next to a color that will clear into the row -- that is when it won't shuffle and states no more moves. It just depends on what colors the game generates next to the Colorful Penguin. When I stopped using boosters to begin, and figured out the Super Penguin scenario - that is when I finally made it through the level.

Do you think maybe this is a glitch in Level 80? This is the first time I've played one of these types of games from 8 Floor Ltd. There aren't really any instructions to be found, and I've had to rely on what you/others have figured out. So thank you for the help. I've also realized there's a difference between the "white cross" component vs the "yellow cross" component (row/column super vs bomb+row or column). I'm only at Lvl 96 so I'm sure I have a lot more to learn!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 7, 17 6:48 AM
Hi again, I just finished the game on my recent "gaming OCD project" in order to get the spoiler thread up, so would have to completely restart and get to level 80 to see what it looks like. However, I don't remember any levels in the game having just one row to make any moves at all in. There were some boards that would have separated columns/rows somewhere, but there would be another section elsewhere that would have moves. I would work on using the ice cream or other boosters in the "moveable" portion to get into the tricky separated spots and it if ran out of moves there, then it would auto-reshuffle. What you're reporting may indeed be a glitch if you try moving only in the isolated part first - I'd never tried that.

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on May 7, 17 11:12 AM
Hi mustangcelli and SynthpopAddict,

I just happened to see your posts and I was curious what was going on here! Since I keep this game available by not playing level 150, I went back to replay level 80 to see the setup, and to see if I could duplicate what had happened to mustangcelli.

First of all, this would have to be a glitch on just your game, since this has never occurred for anyone else, at least that I know of. The game is designed to reshuffle the penguins if no moves are available. Also, the fact that you used the "colorful penguin" booster to start the level should not cause this problem, because the "worst" that could happen is if there is only one penguin of the same color that you match "him" with, it will just clear that one penguin. You don't have to clear into a row (or in this case clear out any of the grass tiles) in order to keep going.

When I replayed this level, I used the colorful penguin booster to start out the level, and exchanged "him" with a penguin that I knew would not clear any surrounding grass. The only thing that happened was that I used up one move and was back at "square one", and used up a booster needlessly. Actually, using the colorful penguin is a good choice in this level, because you can at least zap out 1 or 2 dynamite bombs with the colorful exchange (with the right setup). Also, since you're surrounded with grass, the "colorful" can get things cleared out faster, so that more penguins are available to create the "super penguins".

Since there are different ways to win this level, and the outcome can vary on each replay, I thought I would mention one way I 3-starred it (by testing out your original selection of the "colorful" booster): I exchanged the colorful with a penguin that cleared 2 of the 4 bombs, and within a few more moves I was able to create several "supers". 2 of the supers were close, but I used the "free move" booster to line them up for the exchange. Then I was lucky and was able to create 2 more supers side by side, and finished with 26 moves remaining. This was enough to earn the 3 star point level.

Anyway, I guess since you're already at level 96, this doesn't really make any difference, but I am curious if you replay it again (with colorful) what happens!
I'm glad you're enjoying the game!

Edited on 05/07/2017 at 11:17:09 AM PST

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on May 7, 17 12:11 PM
I forgot on the above post to explain what this board looks like, so that SynthpopAddict (or anyone else reading this) knows what we're talking about.

There is one column in the middle of the board with penguins. The rest of the board is filled up with grass WITH 2 dynamite packs side by side on BOTH sides in the middle row. (There is one grass tile in between the penguins and bombs).
On this level, the main goal is to combine 2 super penguins twice. You get 38 moves.

Just worth mentioning, that if you have enough gold and want to use the "ice cream" booster, it will not only get enough grass cleared out to create "supers", but also can clear out the 4 dynamite bombs as well. I will say that even if you don't use any boosters going into this level, I found that most of the time, just matching 3 penguins clears out enough to get things moving. I know this doesn't have anything to do with whether there is in fact a glitch in mustangcelli's game, but i wanted to mention another way of winning this board.

Edited on 05/07/2017 at 12:31:44 PM PST

[Post New]by mustangcelli on May 7, 17 9:30 PM
SynthpopAddict and skpjazz: Thank you so much for your replies and assessment. I just replayed Lvl 80 and it did the same thing to me. I took screenshots of what happened. Guess there's no way to attach, insert or post them??

I only got 1 star on the level even though I finished it. Will go back before completing Lvl 150 to try to get 3 stars on all. I have plenty of "ice cream" in reserve so will use one of them the next time to see how that plays out.

Is anyone else running 64-bit W10 Pro V1607 B14393.1066? Just wondering if that is maybe causing an interface issue w/Lvl 80.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 8, 17 7:06 AM
Hi mustangcelli, sorry to hear the game keeps forfeiting level 80 for you. Skpjazz is also on Win 10 although I'm on Win 7 and the game auto-shuffles for both of us when we run out of moves. As for posting images, that can't be done here as the forums don't support that. At least you did get past the level though!

I just saw skpjazz's last post on what level 80 looks like (thanks for the description, now I *do* remember that one ). When I played it, I didn't pick any boosters either because the ice cream really doesn't work when there's all that grass around. But I always had at least 1-2 verticals available at the start and would try to get just some of the grass opened up, not a wide swath. Getting too much of the grass gone made it harder for me to make the 2 setups required for the goal. Once a bit of the grass is gone, there should be a few more moves so am not sure why the game would keep forfeiting the level...sounds like a glitch?

Edited on 05/08/2017 at 7:11:37 AM PST

[Post New]by mustangcelli on May 9, 17 9:20 AM
I tried "ice cream" as the booster. While it did clear the row of dynamite, ultimately it didn't help to create the necessary "supers". It appears to me that the colorful penguin is the best choice for a booster for this level, but just won't work for me. My next step is to install this game on my desktop and see if I can reproduce the "glitch". If it happens on a different computer, then I'll report it as a tech issue. Thanks SynthpopAddict and skpjazz for all your help!!

drbabs
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by drbabs on Jun 14, 17 10:21 PM
I don't have the above issues but I cannot figure out how to get two matches of Penguins? Any strategy suggestions?

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jun 15, 17 3:38 PM
Well, I finally figured out how to trigger that glitch mustangcelli was having. If you run out of moves after making one match only then the game forfeits the level instead of auto-reshuffling. But I only had that happen once...

@drbabs: You want to make at least 2 M4s to get 2 super penguins on the board. It needs to be super penguins (the ones that clear either a row or column) only, not some other type of powerup. Then you have to get the 2 supers next to each other and drag one into the other. The hard part isn't just getting the supers lined up, but you have to do this whole thing twice to fulfill the level goal.

drbabs
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by drbabs on Jun 16, 17 8:16 AM
SynthpopAddict, thanks for the suggestions. I solved Level 80 in one try with your help.

Go to: