bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Mall-a-Palooza

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 17, 10 12:57 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mall-a-Palooza? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Mall-a-Palooza

[Post New]by Raska on Apr 17, 10 2:36 AM
Not bad, but very easy, and pover graphics... Not a buy for me in any case...Love a lot of builders more than this one !

Raska

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Apr 17, 10 4:54 AM
I have tried this game before, but I thought I would give it one more chance. I also like some building games, but this just wasn't for me.

[Post New]by hamble on Apr 17, 10 5:43 AM
I don't know how to buy resturaunts. Help please

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Apr 17, 10 5:53 AM
Played Demo 40 minutes. Like it, I do not have the hand-eye speed to do this one.

lmf40
Clownfish
Clownfish
666 Posts

[Post New]by lmf40 on Apr 17, 10 5:55 AM
hamble - there are two tiny empty spots near the shops you can't build on - if you click on them it brings up an option to build restaurants.

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on Apr 17, 10 7:47 AM
I'm not much on TM/sim games of this type, but I thought I would give it a try.

I made it to the second level on the 3rd mall. Since I don't know how many are in the game, I don't know if this is good or not.

I liked the buying and upgrading for the stores and even the placement of plants and trash cans. It took me a little while to figure out the best employee for each store type. (I'll bet real stores would like that option! )

What I didn't like (and this may just be part of the game type) is just waiting. Once you've got your stores upgraded, bought plants and trashcans, and hired janitors, you just sit there and wait for the money to pile up. Even with the repairs on the 3rd mall, it was still just waiting. I like more interaction with my games, which you may get in bigger malls. But it just feels like start the ball rolling and watch.

I didn't have any problems loading or playing the game. The tutorials were adequate, so it was easy to catch on to the game play. And then you have lots of time to look at all the options when you can't do anything else.

I don't think I'm going to buy this game, but I will start trying other games of this type, especially if they show up on the DD. This isn't a really hate the type, more like undecided. I'll have to think about this game type and try some more to see how I feel about it.

Which is the one thing that I really love - getting to try the game and seeing it it's something I would like or not. So much better than buying from a description on a package! And it gives me the opportunity to try different types of games. I have found several that I liked after I tried them. I would have been missing some good games if I just stuck to one type.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Apr 17, 10 10:06 AM
katy12250 wrote:What I didn't like (and this may just be part of the game type) is just waiting.

I agree. Plus this isn't really a theme I'm drawn to... I much prefer Royal Envoy type builder games. But I'm not complaining. There's plenty of variety here at BF and I really appreciate it. Though I'm not buying this game, there are plenty more games right up my alley! Thanks BF.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 17, 10 10:37 AM
katy12250 i am very much in agreement with all of what you have posted... it IS great to be able to try these games... and i like some of them enough to want to have them in my collection so that i can play them again and again... this one... i'm kinda on the fence with, because - like you - i found myself watching the bank instead of playing the game... so i don't know if i would want to purchase it or not, but i did like it better than the last mall builder that came out... i will watch for DD or maybe use it to fill up my punch card if there's nothing else to grab... seems i have so many games already that i should take a break and play what i've got for a while - but i love NEW stuff! it's like christmas every day!

have fun with this one, gang

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 17, 10 12:50 PM
I have tested this game today also. I think its an okay strategy game, but for sure not the best. I have already also so many building game and prefer other good games like Royal Envoy. I won`t buy it, maybe as a Daily Deal.

[Post New]by crashandboom on Apr 17, 10 4:46 PM
I just finished the 1-hr trial and am sad it's over, actually. I totally see what others have said about waiting for your bank balance to increase, but maybe since I'm in a low-key mood today, that didn't bug me. I had no technical issues and found the game play to be just fast and challenging enough without making me pull my hair out. I really liked trying to think ahead about where to purchase and place what kind of stores to increase my odds on future levels (who knows if I helped my progress but it was fun thinking that I did). Got to the level where you get your first chance to build "big" store and it was almost constructed when the trial ended.

I almost didn't bother with the free trial based on other comments but hey, it's free and I don't want to do laundry just yet today. Not sure how much game play there is, never looked for a main map or anything that might explain how many levels there are, but might put this on my "buy" list.

I'm mainly a TM gamer but lately have slowed down and started doing more hidden object, tried a few builder games. This game was more entertaining that "My LIfe" which for some reason I bought, even though I find the wait time on THAT game to be slow and trying to balance happiness level sort of depressing (just like life!) I say give this one a try at least for the free hour. Thanks BF - how much longer until regular edition Royal Envoy is out? I think I would buy that game before this one, just for the better story line, but I'd like to own both. I typically don't buy more than one game a month with my club price - wish better games came out on the Daily Deal more often!

Edited on 04/17/2010 at 4:47:26 PM PST

LoriW
Clownfish
Clownfish
769 Posts

[Post New]by LoriW on Apr 17, 10 6:48 PM
I quite enjoyed this game. Agreed it's not the best building or time management strategy game but it was still fun.

Did find myself watching the bank balance a few times but that tends to be the case in building games. You always have to wait until you get money before you can build more things or until you reach the financial target.

For those of you wondering it has 40 levels and 22 achievements to earn. 32 levels over 8 malls with a bonus level for each mall if you get expert on all of that mall's levels.

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Apr 17, 10 8:25 PM
crashandboom wrote:I just finished the 1-hr trial and am sad it's over, actually. I totally see what others have said about waiting for your bank balance to increase, but maybe since I'm in a low-key mood today, that didn't bug me. I had no technical issues and found the game play to be just fast and challenging enough without making me pull my hair out. I really liked trying to think ahead about where to purchase and place what kind of stores to increase my odds on future levels (who knows if I helped my progress but it was fun thinking that I did). Got to the level where you get your first chance to build "big" store and it was almost constructed when the trial ended.

I almost didn't bother with the free trial based on other comments but hey, it's free and I don't want to do laundry just yet today. Not sure how much game play there is, never looked for a main map or anything that might explain how many levels there are, but might put this on my "buy" list.

I'm mainly a TM gamer but lately have slowed down and started doing more hidden object, tried a few builder games. This game was more entertaining that "My LIfe" which for some reason I bought, even though I find the wait time on THAT game to be slow and trying to balance happiness level sort of depressing (just like life!) I say give this one a try at least for the free hour. Thanks BF - how much longer until regular edition Royal Envoy is out? I think I would buy that game before this one, just for the better story line, but I'd like to own both. I typically don't buy more than one game a month with my club price - wish better games came out on the Daily Deal more often!

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Apr 17, 10 8:28 PM
I really appreciate your comments and sentiments. I think many of us TM fans would appreciate a better selection of DD offerings. Lately almost all for kids.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 17, 10 8:49 PM
laeddie wrote:I really appreciate your comments and sentiments. I think many of us TM fans would appreciate a better selection of DD offerings. Lately almost all for kids.

trust me, it's the only way my niece gets games!

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Apr 17, 10 11:52 PM
I agree with you ember89, the variety here at Big Fish is great!!! Something for everyone, including the kids...I see nothing wrong with that!!! I also know for sure many fishies here have children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews that appreciate these kinds of games. I can't thank Big Fish enough for the variety of games they have to offer. Happy Gaming!!! TMann

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 18, 10 12:01 AM
yeah, we recently got la casa de dora... she loves the garden part! always printing off pictures of her crazy flowers she grows.... and now we have the real garden so...

but then we got the elf bowling game - last insult - because it is just too hilarious!! she loves when they shake their behinds at her and say "no soup for you!"

we play the TM games together sometimes so i like to get ones that i think will interest her... mall-a-palooza might be good because she likes the builders... she likes telling me where to put stuff in the home sweet home games... she does the planning and i do the work... we make a great team!

the moral: never underestimate the power of a five-year-old!

[Post New]by crashandboom on Apr 18, 10 12:20 AM
Ember, your post made me smile, just picturing the scene. Wish we had these games when my boy was that age!

Fawn9
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Fawn9 on Apr 18, 10 12:53 AM
I loved the game! I played the 1 hour trial and ended up purchasing it before my time was up. I knew it was one that I would give me hours of enjoyment.

Lately it seems that 95% of the new games are hidden object (which I can't stand), so I jump at the chance at a new game that is TM or Strategy. Fave games for me are Build A Lot, Farm Frenzy, and Virtual Villagers. This was right up my alley!

[Post New]by susanjpullen on Apr 18, 10 1:02 AM
I must admit I like it too... not as good as Royal Envoy, but much better than My Life, etc.

I'm not a big fan of hidden object, and only like one of two of those (speaking of which - loved the vampire one tx BF )

Thanks so much ember89 for your post too... I shall be carrying that picture in my mind all day

Happy gaming everyone, whether your an ****, TM fan or whatever it is that's good for you

Edited on 04/18/2010 at 1:03:05 AM PST

Go to: