lawaters
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

Infinite lives amps up current level difficulty?

[Post New]by lawaters on May 7, 17 10:10 AM
I play on two devices. On one device I'm in Barcelona. Twice now I've won the Everest Challenge and the same thing happened both times. Being on a difficult level, I was happy to try to pass it without running out of lives. Both times, the game seemed to amp up the difficulty and I was unable to win the level during the two hours.

This recent time it was Barecelona level 87 Master Level. I played it over and over for the full two hours without winning it. (Yes, I can be obsessive!)

I'm curious if others have had this happen. I saw someone mention something similar in another thread.

Gummynut
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

Re:Infinite lives amps up current level difficulty?

[Post New]by Gummynut on May 7, 17 12:22 PM
My experience was the same -- posted earlier:
Spent 40 minutes trying to complete even one level in Rio. Complete waste of lives and time. I am experienced player, have completed over 25 cities... very disappointed, GD

lawaters
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by lawaters on May 7, 17 1:26 PM
Exactly! I didn't wat to hijack your thread because I'd just like to know if others saw this happen too. I'm also a long-term player and pretty skilled at the game.

I was so excited to have infinite lives and to hopefully make some real progress through the early, harder cities. The seeming "lock-up" of the game is weird and was very noticeable.

I should mention that I'm a patient player - I play all three levels of difficulty of each level before I move on to the next one. I only buy and use boosts occasionally.

Some wins are random chance and some are skill. Some levels really can't be won without a boost or two (or more). I don't mind that, especially since from Amsterdam onward, the game has more reasonable levels of difficulty, lesser amounts of resources needed to build monuments, etc.

Even on the device where I'm in Hong Kong, in the less difficult cities, once I had infinite lives, I had to replay over and over before winning those easier level.

Strange!

NeenaL60
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by NeenaL60 on May 7, 17 2:53 PM
Ditto "

FIsh, I love ya but how's about REPEATING this past Everest challenge w/o all the "added" skill features since so MANY OF US have the same horrible expierences.....
Seems we loved this new addition to GD and thought it a bit too easy? I hate being cynical but it really does seem something was amiss..... We'd bog down CS for sure!

[Post New]by globetrotter217 on May 8, 17 6:17 AM
And I thought I was hallucinating... I used the infinite lives 3 times to finish a ciry completely with the same poor results described above. When I went back later to try again, I got many good boards.

Gummynut
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by Gummynut on May 8, 17 9:54 AM
Call me cynical...
Won infinite lives.
Attempted Rio 77 multiple, multiple times. No luck
Once infinite lives was over, oh look, you win first time, with more than 28 moves remaining.
Attempted Rio 85-1 multiple, multiple times with infinite lives. No luck
Once infinite lives was over, oh look, you win...
just sayin'

snowmanvt
Clownfish
Clownfish
566 Posts

[Post New]by snowmanvt on May 8, 17 11:33 AM
We are either getting cynical or paranoid. But, I just completed the Everest Challenge again. With my infinite lives, I played the daily challenge in Prague. It was six letters, GOLDEN, and I beat all six levels on the first try. There goes another conspiracy theory down the drain. Someone better call Alex Jones.....

lawaters
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by lawaters on May 8, 17 2:35 PM
Why, snowmanvt - did you just call me a nut?!?

I bet you were the kid who got an A and ruined the grading curve for the rest! LOL!

I plan to keep trying the challenge and it'll be interesting to see if it locks me in a losing streak again. I don't think it's a case of self-fulfilling prophecy, but who knows?

I do know I'm able to complete the easier cities a lot faster than NO or Barcelona, so it was weird to be stuck on a single level in Hawaii or Hong Kong. That only happened during the infinite life timeframe.

In any case, it's a great new reward and I hope they keep offering it.

snowmanvt
Clownfish
Clownfish
566 Posts

[Post New]by snowmanvt on May 8, 17 3:26 PM
No, sorry, I was the class clown.

I can't tell you the number of times I thought a level was impossible, and just a way to make money for Big Fish, until I completed it with 20 moves to spare! The two guaranteed ways to complete a level: sleep on it and it works out easily the next morning or (my favorite), post a rant on this forum that a level is unfair, rigged and
Impossible. You are almost certain to win within 5 minutes of posting.

lawaters
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by lawaters on May 8, 17 4:09 PM
Very true! There even seem to be certain times of day when the levels are easier. And certain rhythms - such as after buying a boost like 5 more moves, the next few levels will be easier, then get difficult. I swear after I indulge in lightning bolts or oasis boosts, I start breezing through the five subsequent levels. (There I go with my conspiracy theories again.)

Patience does pay off in GD as in life though.

Now that the Everest challenge is back we all get a chance to see what happens with our infinite lives!

[Post New]by globetrotter217 on May 8, 17 11:26 PM
I did the new one , same result . May be the length of playing time has something to do with it... Anyway, I managed another monument in Dubai. Patience...

lawaters
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by lawaters on May 9, 17 9:43 PM
I haven't had the two hours to spend trying it, so I still don't know how it will go on my devices. But thanks, globetrotter217, for letting us know your experience.

lawaters
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by lawaters on May 11, 17 7:04 AM
Did the latest Everest challenge last night. 20 minutes of easy play, then 1 hr 40 mins trying to win Barcelona Master level 100. So, basically the same result here.

NeenaL60
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by NeenaL60 on May 23, 17 10:16 PM
Snow, I luv ya man however I'm still teetering on cynical (or cylindrical)....depending. I don't think there's a "conspiracy theory" it's thier job to turn profits.... I am not saying they did this, just it was strange so many experienced the same exact phenomenon... how bout coffee friend?

[Post New]by GumSal on Jun 6, 17 4:25 PM
Same experience for me. Since the last update the game has been much harder. The easiest levels where I have 27 moves left to get one square cleared and all of a sudden I can't? Come on. Try to be at least a little less obvious. This is why I quit playing candy crush. I am now on Lisbon and it is a slow, arduous, not fun process. After Everest I focused on going back to a city to replay all the 60 coin levels in order to build up a reserve. In the past I would gather about 6,000 coins in 2 hours. This time I ended up where I began.

keitht53
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
461 Posts

[Post New]by keitht53 on Jun 7, 17 12:13 AM
I've just completed the Everest Challenge and then returned to San Francisco to try to get through some of the levels which had previously defeated me. I got most of them at the first attempt so I can see no evidence to support the theory that difficulty is ramped up during periods of infinite lives.

Loonz111
Clownfish
Clownfish
876 Posts

[Post New]by Loonz111 on Jun 7, 17 3:15 AM
I finished the Everest challenge yesterday. I used the 2 hours of infinite lives to do the daily challenge (6 letters in Paris, all 3rd tier), and managed round about 20 levels in Berlin. Only downside, it brings me close to New Orleans

[Post New]by globetrotter217 on Jun 7, 17 6:29 AM
This time the infinite lives worked for me. I chose not to do anything adventurous, but stayed in my current city Istanbul and managed around 30 levels.

famvir3
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by famvir3 on Jun 7, 17 9:25 AM
I complete all levels, but not 100% cities. When we get the unlimited lives, I attack the timed levels, which have accumulated because i avoid them so hard. When you have 35 seconds to finish a timed level, and you see sand, and chained gummies, and pink smilie face notes, well, I tend to panic, make six moves, and the game is over.

With infinite lives, I can go in and see what I need to do. I just blow up over and over again (feels like a Tom Cruise movie) until I can figure out a strategy. I might still need boosts to get out alive, but I know which ones and where to use them. I just blasted through 13 timed levels (arch and master) and I think I am getting a rash from stress, but I cleared all but one in my current almost finished city. Also, every other game feels like a walk in the park becaude I have infinite time to play it. (33 seconds? Who is the psychopath that creates this?)

Edited on 06/07/2017 at 9:28:37 AM PST

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Jun 7, 17 9:48 AM
Hello Everyone!

I wanted to swim by and address the topics being discussed in this thread. Playing Gummy Drop! with Infinite Lives doesn't amp up the current level of difficulty, although I completely understand how the game can remain challenging even without worrying about losing a life.

If a particular level is proving to be really difficult, we recommend taking a look at the level help thread for that specific city. It's possible other players have also encountered the same trouble and have posted tips about how to beat the level. Posting in that thread also allows the Moderation Team to keep track of which levels are the most difficult to beat. Sometimes we're able to pass that information along to the appropriate teams to see if some helpful changes can be made.

I've included a link to the level help master thread below.

Gummy Drop! City Directory - START HERE TO FIND LEVEL HELP

Thanks for your patience and understanding. If any more questions or concerns arise, please don't hesitate to PM me or another of the active moderators. We're always happy to help.

bfgBeruna

Go to: