Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Embrace of Ocean: Story of Hope here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on May 9, 17 12:42 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 05/09/2017 at 6:37:42 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Embrace of Ocean: Story of Hope here.

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on May 9, 17 3:00 AM
Love this game! Yes it's out date and very slow moving. But, I don't care! No it doesn't have all the bells and whistles most look for in games. But, I don't care! Just on the story line alone, it's a buy for me. Which happens to be a Sci-Fi. YaaaaHoooo! I think the art work is very good and the voice overs are fine.

I'm sure a lot of people will think this game to be out dated and very slow. But for me...I'm thrilled to have a SE and a new story line. So, for these reasons alone...I give this game

As always and repeated by all...try this game for yourself. It's a buy for me. And I'm looking forward to finding out what happens to Blue.

Enjoy,
Lisa

M_LADY
Clownfish
Clownfish
887 Posts

[Post New]by M_LADY on May 9, 17 3:18 AM
I second LovetoMissLisa! I agree that it seems out of date and moves slowly, but there are elements of humor in several scenes and the way Blue "takes care of" another character made me laugh out loud.

Sci Fi games are so rare and that makes this game a gem to me.

The hint and skip fill slowly and some objects in the HOS are small. There is a map, but it doesn't transport that I could see, but the hint does transport.

I initially thought that the hint doesn't work, but you must click on the banner that says "hint"...took me a while to figure that out. LOL

There is a quick clicking penalty in the HOS, but be sure to "click around" in the main scenes and look at everything. What you see may surprise you.

Try this game. You may be pleasantly surprised!

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on May 9, 17 6:38 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Embrace of Ocean: Story of Hope here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Embrace of Ocean: Story of Hope.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

suniris
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by suniris on May 9, 17 6:40 AM
Sorry..old, clunky, HO's small and impossible to find, Hint button swirls around so much your not sure what it is pointing at. I did try to like it but finally gave up

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on May 9, 17 6:50 AM
Like game so far! Purchased w/ coupon! I know there will be ones that don't like it! We all have different likes! It does move slowly, the swooping hint that directs you to object can be a little irritating! & its very old school! Not sure how long game is! But w/ all that said its entertaining enough for me! If I run into any problems I let gamers know!

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on May 9, 17 7:15 AM
Was happy to see this old style adventure type game but it kept locking up on me Not going to bother just to get frustrated. Hope y'all get to enjoy it and if it works for you, you can get with a punch card coupon like a freebie!

BobbiH
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by BobbiH on May 9, 17 8:21 AM
OK, like many others I will note in passing that it is sort of old school without some of the glitzy features that newer, CE games have. But it won me over almost immediately for two reasons:

(1) Original Storyline - YES!!! Not even that it's Sci Fi which isn't really what sells it for me, but *original*. And this after I played only a few screens because I want to save all of the fun for after I buy it. But from what I can see, no Vampires, no Evil Wizards, no starting out with an automobile/train crash, no mysterious dangerous cities.....it was a joy. Not to mention original Minigames which make you figure out what you need to do (which usually annoys me to be honest, but these are so clever and different that I didn't mind).

(2) The graphics are STUNNING. Seriously stunning. Crystal clear, beautiful colors, exquisitely detailed. Every time I changed screens I had to pause for a moment to admire.

I will leave it to others to summarize the storyline and gameplay; I just had to put in my two cents worth about the aspects of the game which completely blew me away. Totally a buy for me.

Edited on 05/09/2017 at 8:23:17 AM PST

HeatherDay
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by HeatherDay on May 9, 17 11:50 AM
No issues downloading, installing or game-play. Using Win7 64bit on laptop.

I really, really wanted to enjoy this game because Yes, it's old school.
With that said, I don't think I would have purchased it 5 or 7 years ago.
Don't get me wrong, everything worked great and I especially enjoyed the mini-games (which were plenty during demo) and I love any & all that are ocean games. But Embrace of Ocean just didn't do it for me.
I generally skip cut scenes in our newer, cookie-cutter games but I skipped nothing during this demo. So It's not the storyline that turned me off.
There were plenty, I think 7, of mini-games during the demo (totally enjoyed!) and two HOS. The HOS were hard on these old eyes but I think I used the hint maybe 3x overall.
As another (respected) reviewer posted, the hint IS hard to find (it's the banner that says Hint and Not the glowing orb above the banner) but when found, the hint is very useful for us aging fish during HOS.

So, why don't I like this game? I can't pinpoint the reason. I mean, everything is there that I love! Maybe it started too slow for my taste (yes, it's slow during demo). IDK.
Although I did enjoy making "coffee" for a certain someone lol

We've been screaming for games similar to Embrace of Ocean's mechanics so I honestly think it's just me.
I have 45mins left of the demo. I'll keep Embrace of Ocean in my Game Manager will try again using a different profile within the week. Seriously, I want to like this game so I'll try again. If I don't like it the second time around, I hope to be able to post a reason WHY I didn't enjoy.

Respect to all fishies in our huge pond!

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

A Great Game for me,almost giving up HOPAS, Maybe for You Too!

[Post New]by kandinsky on May 9, 17 3:17 PM
This review is not based on completing the game and is very subjective. But I am making it because I think there must be a good many players like myself who feel like this kind of gaming has used up its shelf life for them as individual players. awkward sentence but hey!
I liked Adam Wolfe which was very innovative , and it was so innovative that perhaps it spoiled the games since then for me since it has not been learned from or built on yet.
So I play again and again a solitaire game or a match three but also I read books, go out to dinner with friends, watch a video.. well but enough on me just that maybe you reader mon semblable mon frere(as an old poet put it) understand.
Then before closing the door on HOPAs try this one say I. It is old fashioned , it is from the east of Europe and so poorly translated as to be on that account kind of endearing.
It has a plot that so far is free from the mind numbing cliches. the scenes are pleasant places to be. Hope is an endearing character to play and gives one somehow, well, hope...
The game play is awkward but for me is secondary to character, plot , place... I do not mind so much waiting for the skip button to recharge on a puzzle I could hardly care less about when I am in a nice location with a pleasant companion and story and other resources at hand to pass the wait time.
If this story holds on to its oddity and pleasantness it deserves to be a cult classic and again is a delightful gift maybe for players like myself.
you know who you are! If it fits give it a try!

Edited on 05/09/2017 at 3:18:43 PM PST

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on May 9, 17 4:07 PM
I find the ungrammatical text annoying.

I find the tiny navigation icons annoying.

The artwork is nice, and the couch looked very nice and comfortable. It's a piece of furniture I wouldn't mind having.

The above is the only positive thing I have to say about this game.

jtrigg
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by jtrigg on May 10, 17 2:21 AM
Not impressed, slow clunky , H2S

marie234_
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by marie234_ on May 10, 17 7:14 AM
This game crashes my pc. When I open it, the screen becomes white and my cursor is bloqued. I have this message : "Error : Access violation at Ox77C2DDOD (tried to write OxOOOOOO14), program is terminated."
I only can close the game by doing ctrl-alt-suppr. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but the problem is still there. What's the matter with this game ?

Edited on 05/10/2017 at 9:06:52 AM PST

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on May 10, 17 10:16 AM
Just finished the game. Had no tech issues (Windows 10) - Pretty short, but really enjoyed playing this "old school" game. Did have to try and ignore the really terrible English. Worth a try.

HeatherDay
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by HeatherDay on May 10, 17 10:58 PM
kandinsky,

You, sir or madame, gave me a reason to try this game again.

I do love the Adam Wolfe series but no, I wasn't spoiled. I actually prefer the older HO games.
With Adelantado Trilogy, yes, I was spoiled but that's a different genre.

I have no issue with, oh what do we call it? no issue with the grammer we see from translations or issue with spelling. English is the hardest language to learn and Google Translate is ummm..... funny
Translations are more funny then annoying (to me).

After trying Embrace of Ocean again, I still have nothing bad to say about the game. There is just no umpff for me to carry on.
I feel there is no reason for me to play the game.
Which is crazy for me to say because with the newer HO games, I know where the pieces are to open this to unlock that in the newer HOs. And I generally know the culprit from the beginning of the game(s). I don't purchase those games, either.

But with this game, I didn't know where to find the object to open the next object. I had to think
A major plus in my book!

There's just no umpff for me to carry on as Hope.
After playing the demo 2x, I have to say this is not a cult game for me. i just don't see a reason to play.
It is that slow.

As always, try for yourself!
Respect to all the fishies in this huge pond we swim in

edited for sentence structure and to add another "umpff"

Edited on 05/10/2017 at 11:17:53 PM PST

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

fair enough!

[Post New]by kandinsky on May 11, 17 6:52 AM
Heatherday, fair enough!
with anything, music, books, games, movies , tastes may overlap but hardly any two people will find delight together in everything.
to my previous review I would just add this that for me as I have played on at it with a leisurely pace, the plot continues to hold up and please. Of course as with almost any game of this sort its logic and plausibility are very shaky but somehow ,I am in chapter 3 by which time these plots have usually totally burned out, the plot still has features of interest. I still like the character of Hope. I still like the settings.
and it does seem to me that for anyone who is repelled by the mindless quality of most of the new games after one has played great numbers of them, and yet obsessive-compulsive enough to be drawn into a game this may be a pleasurable thing.
for me the sad of it is that I do not see any way that the odd quirky game will ever be a norm, just an occasional soft release thrown out there for marginal players as I have become.

kiddopal
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by kiddopal on May 16, 17 7:33 AM
This is an excellent game. Yes it is a little slow and clunky, but that is a small trade off for a good wholesome game. The puzzles are challenging enough and hidden object search is minimal. This is a good adventure and I really hope we will get more games like this. We do not need all the glamour and glitz for every game.

[Post New]by avesgames on May 17, 17 12:53 AM
Thank u for all your posts and reviews! We really glad to hear your opinion!
We will continue to work on extraordinary games

Jorie10
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Jun 2, 17 2:00 PM
Just finished the game. For me, this is probably the worst game I've ever played and I've played a lot over the years. Unfortunately, I cannot leave a game unfinished, so finish it I did. Frankly, for about the last half of the game, I couldn't wait for it to be over. I kept stopping and coming back to the game another day because it was too 'painful' to play for too long.

Poor English really bothered me. Stilted conversations were unpleasant to listen to. Spelling errors in displayed text. Misnamed items. Character name of Jack/Jake changed throughout.

At times, no way to know what needed to be accomplished and some of the actions were very odd.

Small items difficult to find in both HOPs and in scenes.

Disliked the way the Hint pointed out things. Just go directly to the area/item and don't waste my time swirling about.

Never felt so strongly against a game before this. I felt that this game did not go through any QA.

I cannot recommend this game at all.

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Jun 7, 17 2:59 AM
Just struggled to the end of this game, it was a bit of a chore. Don't blink or you will miss the ending, it was that abrupt.
The swirling hint was unnecessary and rather irritating. I would have liked to have had a little more screen help as I was playing Easy mode but there was nothing. Just wander around the screen with the cursor and hope. Maybe that was where the Story of Hope came in, lol.
Yes, there were small hidden object items but not totally impossible.
They are the downsides.

The upsides - it could have been the best game ever with the most original plot line. That, I enjoyed immensely. Sci Fi - bring it on !
Another plus is that it was the fastest game I have ever exited from. None of this "are you sure" nonsense and no returning to the main menu to confirm, yes I really do want to exit !
I hope these devs continue to make more innovative games.

Go to: