bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 18, 10 2:39 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

Edited on 04/18/2010 at 2:42:43 AM PST

mamaduke63
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by mamaduke63 on Apr 18, 10 5:21 AM
Happy Sunday Morning all!!

Does anyone know if there is a demo available anwhere for this game?

Thanks
Mamaduke

[Post New]by dakotasky on Apr 18, 10 6:03 AM
This is my first time buying a game without being able to try it first, and being a true HOG, I haven't a CLUE as to what to do in this one. I'm sorry I spent money on this one because I am at a loss, and I'll just end up deleting it!

It says the Handbook has lots of suggestions but I can't even find that!

Can anyone help me?

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by peutetre on Apr 18, 10 6:54 AM
Although I'm not familiar with this particular game, I've played other Nancy Drew games and they are not HOGs, definitely large file adventure games. Don't delete it--look for a walkthrough either here in a bit or at one of the other usual suspects like gameboomers or gamezebo. Those will get you started with what you need to do.

If it's like the other games, you can choose to play as an amateur and a detailed task list is available to you. It won't tell you when you've completed a level, you have to check it off yourself but if you haven't completed it, you can't check it off (at least that way you know there's more to do).

Generally, these games take quite a while to complete--much longer than just about any HOG.

Hope you stick with it!!

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on Apr 18, 10 6:59 AM
YES!! another old Nancy drew game!!!! YAY! I love the old ones Can't wait to get it!!
Thankyou BFG!

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Apr 18, 10 7:07 AM
Just google "walkthrough and the name of this game" and you will find plenty of walkthroughs. I like gameboomers best.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Apr 18, 10 8:06 AM
This is a really old Nancy Drew game, being #3 in the series. We've owned it for a few years now, so probably won't purchase it here. It has been a while since my DD and I have played it, but I remember it being pretty short for a Nancy Drew game. Still, it was really enjoyable and not scary like some of the others. As with all the other Nancy Drew games, you have the option of playing the junior or senior detective. Basically like all the other Nancy Drew games from HerInteractive, but I remember liking this one better than the first two.

The older/earlier Nancys do not come with the more detailed to-do lists that the later games do. You really have to think more and use the phone to call Bess and George. If you get really stumped, the developer (HerInteractive) has a message board where you can get help. All the Nancy Drew games have a separate section to ask questions and find answers. Sometimes the phone hints aren't enough so these message boards really do help.

Edited on 04/18/2010 at 8:09:23 AM PST

siam
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by siam on Apr 18, 10 8:14 AM
Sorry I bought have no clue what to do or where start

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Apr 18, 10 9:18 AM
I woke up this morning expecting another HOG game but was pleasantly surprised when I saw that there was a Nancy Drew game. They may not be for everyone, but I rather enjoy them. Will definitely buy this one. Thank you to BIg Fish for carrying 2 large file games within a couple of days.

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

demo

[Post New]by bluesinew on Apr 18, 10 12:44 PM
mamaduke63 wrote:Happy Sunday Morning all!!

Does anyone know if there is a demo available anwhere for this game?

Thanks
Mamaduke

I get my demo's from Gamespot.com, however this is an old game. It was released early 2000, so I don't know if it is still available. I believe the reason BF offers these large file games, as they are called, (actually they are real adventure games and not casual games), at such a low price, is because they are so old. You can check with the nancy drew site ... herinteractive.com, they may even have a demo to a newer game.

heidid
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by heidid on Apr 18, 10 1:23 PM
For anyone who is looking for a walkthrough that does not just give away all the answers, check out the website for "UHS-hints" (Stands for Universal Hint System). They have nearly all the Nancy Drew games there (including this one), and the hints are very well laid-out to give small hints one at a time. In this case, there are tips on getting started and general gameplay as well as help with the puzzles.

Personally, I love the Nancy Drew series and will put this on my "buy" list, though not necessarily this month.

Have fun!

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 18, 10 1:44 PM
Gamesp*t doesn't have the demo. Neither does GamersH*ll or GameZ*ne. Someone posted a link here to what was supposed to be a BFG demo, but I got (of course) the old access violation.

No try, no buy.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Apr 18, 10 2:03 PM
For me, no demo = no purchase

Dee_H
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Dee_H on Apr 18, 10 3:20 PM
If you google the title and then 'review', you get several 'grades' and comments from external sites, including UHS-hints (which I totally agree is a terrific site for those who want to work it out on their own, just looking for a little hint). Most gave this game a B- to B+. It was enough for me, so I purchased and played about an hour+ so far. It's an ok game, entertaining and the graphics are good considering the age. Controls are old school ND, a little awkward, but you'll figure them out quickly. Another plus, they used the phone hints with Bess/George on this game, which I like. So if you are looking for something to do that will not tax your brain too much, a light spooky adventure to waste away your Sunday afternoon, this is a fine choice for the price. I would have been bummed if I paid $19.99, but $6.99 or free credit. fine choice. I am stuck and very frustrated on the new Art of Murder tire tube activity , so switching gears to play this one was helpful in rebuilding my gaming confidence...

By referencing either gameb**mers or uhs, any help with 'what to do next' is taken care of, but part of adventure games like this one is that you are supposed to wander around aimlessly (at least at first), looking at everything, reading everything, clicking away, picking up random stuff and talking to anyone who will listen and figuring out the mystery, while experiencing the surroundings. If you just go off of a list or walkthrough, point by point, doing what someone tells you to do next, doesn't it just become work (without the paycheck)?

Ellen55
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Ellen55 on Apr 18, 10 7:36 PM
First Nancy Drew game purchased...So far, I don't like it......even reading walkthrough didn't make sense.....Very sorry I purchased it.

forneymary
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by forneymary on Apr 18, 10 8:13 PM
i was thrilled to see this offered as i had it years ago and lost it when i loaned it out. i've played all the drew games and loved this one especially. if your a first timer then you need to download that walk thru first then when you start choose Junior detective. the game play is exactly the same but the individual puzzles are much harder. if you don't believe me then start the game twice to play as a junior and then the senior simulataniously. then the third thing you want to do is load up the Her Interactive website and book mark this particular game forum. after you start the game call bess and everyone else you can reach on your phone and they will get you started. seek out the mistress of the manor for a task list and then check your journal to see what needs to be done(advanced detective doesnt get a task list).. when you get to your room find the alarm clock and figure out how to set it. somethings will need to be done late at night or other odd times and the only way you can get some good snooping in is to make sure the coast is clear. relax and have fun and expect to get to know the house by heart from top to bottom because you'll end up going back and forth ALOT. oh and dont worry about when you get into hot water and they send you home because you'll get a second chance. everygreat detective makes mistakes. even nancy.

Dee_H
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Dee_H on Apr 18, 10 8:44 PM
Ellen55 wrote:First Nancy Drew game purchased...So far, I don't like it......even reading walkthrough didn't make sense.....Very sorry I purchased it.

I just got this one too, and please don't let this ruin your opinion of ND games! It is the third out of 21 (?) games and many, many improvements occured as Her Interactive polished up old Nancy's adventures. I think I have played about 10 of the 21 and would recommend trying:

The Haunting of Castle Malloy
Phantom of Venice
Legend of Crystal Skull
Ransom of Seven Ships
Curse of Blackmoor Manor
Warning at Waverly Academy
Danger on Deception Island
Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon (another older one)
Dossier - Lights, Camera, Curses*
Dossier - Resorting to Danger*
* - (the Dossier series are the only ones w/ a trial)

Most of these listed have beautiful scenery and some funny characters. This one is ok, I have had fun wasting away my Sunday with it, but the above games I would probably rank above this one. I have enjoyed playing this after the games listed above because I can see all of the tweaks and improvements they made to the games, but hope that you will give Nancy another try!

nancehere
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by nancehere on Apr 18, 10 8:59 PM
I'm another one who purchases all of the Nancy Drew games but definitely at the BFG price. I have them all, I think, and still haven't played all of them yet. I enjoy them so much that I buy them sight unseen, no trial needed for me. Some are better and more sophisticated than others, but to me they are all fun. I couldn't begin to finish any of the games without a walkthrough, but only use them now when I absolutely need them to get through a spot that has me stumped. They are a good change of pace from the IHOG, which are are my favorites, as eventually the IHOG get to be a drag when I play them constantly. At that point I also upload a favorite match 3 for pure relaxation and to zone out while watching/listening to interesting tv.

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Apr 18, 10 10:44 PM
Down loaded the trial. Not a game for me.

amazonkes
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by amazonkes on Apr 19, 10 4:21 AM
I got a walkthrough a year ago from Gameboomers after picking this up at a Scholastic Books Warehouse sale..in a bundle with Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned For Danger]. For me it's a challenging game, even with the very detailed walkthrough! Those players who need handholding will find this older version of a Nancy Drew Mystery difficult, and often exasperating: but it is a great way to hone thinking skills!

Go to: