New Player to Nancy Drew Game

[Post New]by lynn2757 on Apr 18, 10 8:46 AM
I have never played a Nancy Drew Game and don't understand what to do, I just keep traveling around the mansion with no goal and nothing to do! I don't know where this parlor is to find the phone, somebody please help?

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

Re:New Player to Nancy Drew Game

[Post New]by genkicoll on Apr 18, 10 9:37 AM
That's how I felt when I tried the White Wolf of Icicle Creek ^_^; Wish I could help you... Perhaps there's a walkthrough available somewhere?

dundeepeh
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by dundeepeh on Apr 18, 10 10:31 AM
lynn2757 wrote:I have never played a Nancy Drew Game and don't understand what to do, I just keep traveling around the mansion with no goal and nothing to do! I don't know where this parlor is to find the phone, somebody please help?
have sent you a pm

dundeepeh
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by dundeepeh on Apr 18, 10 10:33 AM
genkicoll wrote:That's how I felt when I tried the White Wolf of Icicle Creek ^_^; Wish I could help you... Perhaps there's a walkthrough available somewhere?
have sent you a pm

gooma6
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by gooma6 on Apr 18, 10 10:34 AM
I am also new to the Nancy Drew "going around in circles" game. I, also, can't seem to get anywhere.....I've opened the darned suitcase countless times and can't imagine what the point of the whole thing is............also been to the loft overlooking entrance and can't figure out the poles' letters puzzle.......and thirdly, have also found the parquet floor puzzle , thought I had it solved but nothing happened!! HELP!!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 18, 10 8:26 PM
to get to the parlor... well, first you have to get downstairs... outside your room you should have a staircase to the left... in the hall you have doors at either end - double doors lead to dining room [where you go to talk to rose] and the stained glass door takes you into the great room with the double staircase... move towards the front door and turn right... the door you see there will take you into the parlor and the phone... another door in the parlor will take you into the library... don't worry about wandering around too much and feeling lost... there is a map in the UHS walkthrough!

happy wandering!

Donick2
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Donick2 on Apr 18, 10 9:49 PM
lynn2757 wrote:I have never played a Nancy Drew Game and don't understand what to do, I just keep traveling around the mansion with no goal and nothing to do! I don't know where this parlor is to find the phone, somebody please help?

I have sent you PM

Donick2
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Donick2 on Apr 18, 10 9:56 PM
Once you get into Nancy games they are great,you will need to use the forums on company who make them will send it to anyone who wants it as PM & keep notes on what you do

I have all 21 games & 2 in new Dossier series by same company & only 1 I personally don't like

My favorites are Shadow Ranch & Crystal Skull & am waiting for No.22 to be released there are at least 2 a year & once you get into them you are hooked
I will PM anyone who needs help as still have most of my notes of all games

[Post New]by buckingham2 on Apr 20, 10 9:53 AM
I also am a newbie and I have twice loaded this game and I can never meet Louis, even during the times he is supposed to be at the house, I have looked at the walk though , set the alam to 12 noon and still he does not appear, what am I doing wrong? I have done other things, then gone back, like I say reloaded and started new game.
Any help apprieciated thanks

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 20, 10 8:11 PM
buckingham2 wrote: I also am a newbie and I have twice loaded this game and I can never meet Louis, even during the times he is supposed to be at the house, I have looked at the walk though , set the alam to 12 noon and still he does not appear, what am I doing wrong? I have done other things, then gone back, like I say reloaded and started new game.
Any help apprieciated thanks

have you finished doing all of your snooping in the library? you might not want him around while your figuring out all the secrets of his hidey-hole! i don't know if you noticed, but some of the times on the fireplace were missing; did you fix it? find anything else interesting? try hacking his machine?? yes, once you have finished YOUR business then he will be in for you to talk to!

aniem
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by aniem on Apr 22, 10 10:10 AM
Don't despair and don't give up on Nancy Drew games! The newer ones have a To Do list that will keep you going in the right direction and let you know what your goals are,and usually, how to use items you find.

[Post New]by nellyandjohnny on Nov 6, 13 10:17 AM
This is my 3rd Nancy Drew game and yes, they sure do take a bit of getting used to after the usual adventure games on here...but they are so great if you are ready for a new challenge and definitely worth the money. Patience definitely required and I certainly can't finish them without some help now and again from a walkthrough, or this forum. Gameboomers has walkthroughs for all of them and have proved invaluable to me!!

My 1st game was Shadow at the Water's Edge. I loved it but some parts are so tricky and at times you want to despair as there's no 'skip' button for any puzzles. My 2nd was Phantom of Venice so both newer 'Drew' games. Both are exciting with Shadow being really quite creepy at times! I love that you have no choice but to investigate like a detective and they certainly take you out of your comfort zone. In Phantom of Venice, there are some situations where I was almost tearing my hair out and had no clue what to do. For example, the final water bridge puzzle!!......how on earth has anybody ever managed this without a step-by-step instruction from a walkthrough??? In some respects, I think the Nancy games are a little too hard at times...there's nothing quite like getting to the climax of a game and not having a clue what to do other than follow step-by-step instructions from somebody who's done it before!! Not very challenging at all if you feel you don't have a hope of completing it.

This game, being 3rd (so I read) in the series seems strange again for me, as it's somewhat 'old' now in comparison to the two I played before. I spent a good hour thinking I didn't like it, but persevered and glad I did. The navigation is frustrating at times but you do get used to it ie remember to shut the door again, close the book again...where's the 'turn around' arrow at times? When you're starting out, it's hard when you realise you really do have to speak to everybody until the conversation is exhausted and 'phone a friend' if you're stuck. You also have to time it all right otherwise you may not get to meet these people at all! On the whole though, I'm very glad of the new challenges after a couple of years playing the traditional style adventure/IHOG games.

So far, I prefer the two newer Drew games..the checklist is really helpful - and it's fun to travel around cities learning new cultures and languages! Don't give up..just cheat a little now and again!

Go to: