Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Bonfire Stories: The Faceless Gravedigger Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on May 18, 17 12:42 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 05/18/2017 at 6:31:29 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Bonfire Stories: The Faceless Gravedigger Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on May 18, 17 6:32 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Bonfire Stories: The Faceless Gravedigger Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Bonfire Stories: The Faceless Gravedigger Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Bonfire Stories: The Faceless Gravedigger Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 18, 17 9:42 AM
Enjoyed this demo very much. Story reminds me of the Gravedigger arc that ran through the TV series 'Bones'. Graphics are good, HOS are interesting and puzzles are really fun to play. Collectibles are paw prints (presumably because of the dog-like creature) and statuettes. Map transports and shows if you missed a paw print. Game has 4 modes of play inc. custom. Didn't need to look at the SG during the demo and never have music on. Voices were ok.

I want to know what happens next. so it's a definite buy for me

No technical issues with the demo (which lasted 60 minutes) but there is a slight problem if you want to check you got all the the paw-prints. Once you've clicked the tab and viewed the prints, clicking on the word BACK does nothing! I finally managed it by clicking on the tip of the letter K. Best solution I can think of? Don't click on the paw-print tab

ETA: The 'Reset' button in every puzzle didn't work, causing me to have no choice but to skip a few puzzles. Oh and the missing zip(per) pull is back

Edited on 05/19/2017 at 11:43:15 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Bonfire Stories: The Faceless Gravedigger Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 18, 17 5:46 PM
Hi all! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to other who do a much better job than I. This game as some very nice graphics, very clear throughout. Animation is very smooth and realistic. Game play was excellent with no problems during the demo and the scene fit my large screen quite well. Voices are very well done, age and character appropriate. There didn't seem to be much in the way of dialog, but what we had was well done. You can't skip through dialog in this one, in case you read faster than they speak, so you have no choice but listen. If you skip it, you don't miss anything, so far. There isn't a lot of music in this game, which suits me fine, but enough action to have realistic sound FX between the dialog and the music. I found the story line to be somewhat different, and as I said in my header, an urban legend, which is a bit different. If you don't like scary, don't try this one, although I did not see anything that jumped out at me or scared me either. It all depends on your scare meter.

HOPs are a little different in the way they are set up and are varied. The scenes are fairly clear and items are not that difficult to spot. I did not see that you could switch to anything else if you did not care for the HOPs. Puzzles were mostly quite simple. The only real challenge was the maze. These drive me nuts, but I do like the challenge. The hint system is helpful and we do have a transport feature. This is quite helpful, as you do a bit of back-tracking. I did like that in some cases, whatever you found in this room, you used in this room. That saved some running around and wasted time. The strategy guide is the same as usual. The jump map is rather boring and plain, but it does show if you have missed a collectible.

Collectibles were a little disappointing. We have to find 25 paw prints, which are not hard to spot, as most are quite large. Some do blend into the scenery a bit, but still easy to see. We also have to find 9 character statuettes. These are easy to overlook, but not hard to see. This game could have used a little more, maybe some morphing wolf faces or something.

This isn't a bad game at all. It moved a little slowly, but I found it interesting. I think most all levels of players would like this one. For some reason, I find the need to have it in my collection. I like urban legends and this one intrigues me. Yes, I'm adding it to my long list of CE games.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Bonfire Stories: The Faceless Gravedigger Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by plat1098 on May 18, 17 6:39 PM
You know something? This is one of the BEST, most creepy storylines I've seen in a while. Many games I've seen try too hard in this respect and it seems contrived, but this one? Wow! Ambiance is quite ominous even with less-than-stellar graphics. Gameplay was flawless in the demo running Windows 10. I didn't see any classic hidden object tasks, there are hidden items to find in order to accomplish a goal or minigame. There are several varieties of collectables to hunt for, and for an occasional HOP player like me, the tasks and goals were fun and not too difficult.

This one impressed me, just going by the storyline. Putting $ away in the piggy bank as we speak, gotta know how it turns out.

Edit: oops, I'm mistaken, there are classic HOPs in here. Also, the dreaded missing zipper pull, stay tuned.

Edited on 05/19/2017 at 6:03:16 AM PST

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on May 19, 17 4:04 PM
so, I finished the game - got all that I was supposed to collect. Not a bad game, but a bit disappointing. Seems there's less & less "collectibles on the new CE games coming out. I like when there's 2 to 3 collectibles and/or morphing objects to look for in games. But, for the most part, I didn't mind the game.

Hope tomorrow's CE will be a good one !

Cheers, everyone - have a great long weekend !

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on May 19, 17 7:46 PM
Very enjoyable well crafted game but did anyone else find it shorter than most games? Also, the ending of the bonus game felt like a big jip.

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on May 20, 17 10:13 AM
I really don't understand all those raving reviews (today: 80% recommendations on the main page).

I just deleted the trial after approx. 45 minutes, and I swear I tried hard to like this game since many fishies promised an eerie experience.
Nope. Graphics are blurry and faded, settings uninspired (bats, creepy dolls, tons of dust). Gameplay is predictable, boring and same old, same old (do I really need high tech tool to remove a handful of vines? do you really want me to find a paperclip to replace a broken zipper AGAIN?) and so incredibly easy everyone must be totally underwhelmed unless this is the very first HOPA in your life.

No, I really don't get it.
Why does it seem to be impossible for developers to create something with at least a couple of fresh ideas? Come on, I can't play Phantasmat, MCF/Escape from Ravenhearst and Dire Grove or Maze/The Broken Tower over and over again....

[Post New]by els11011 on May 22, 17 10:45 PM
You like exactly the same games as me!!! I'd also add the original Brink of Consciousness and the first New York Mysteries.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

LOVE!!

[Post New]by divaprods on May 27, 17 9:12 AM
I can't tell you exactly what I loved in this game, maybe the lack of witches, demons, buddahs everywhere. This was scary and fun. I hope to see more in this series.

jp48
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by jp48 on May 29, 17 9:32 AM
I've just completed the game after having my appetite whetted with the 90 min demo, and I have to say I enjoyed it Granted, there were a lot of same old, same old, type stuff which I won't bother listing as other people have done so. For me the difference was the actual storyline, which for once I found interesting... something that hasn't happened since the Ravenhearst series. Looking forward to more Bonfire Stories

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Bonfire Stories: The Faceless Gravedigger Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 1, 17 1:04 PM
I just wanted to say that I really liked this game. I also loved the bonus chapter, which was very well done. And I liked doing the HOS and puzzles, which I usually dislike now in most HOGs. So, well done, developers.

Forgot to mention that I was glad that I didn't stumble over one HOS after another, as I do in some games. I prefer fewer hidden object scenes.

Edited on 06/02/2017 at 4:05:22 AM PST

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Jun 5, 17 4:04 PM
I really enjoyed this game. The basic story line was a bit different. No saving the world, or our sister/friend/grandpa. Yes - some of was same-old-same-old, but it was very nicely done. Not as scary as I expected, but it's hard to make me jump these days.

There was the dreaded zipper pull in both main and bonus games, but one of them did not require a safety pin to solve.

I played with Windows 10 and had no issues at all and downloaed before the upgrades. I don't care about achievements or collectibles so I never clicked on the paw print - I suppose I might have had that problem.

Good HOG scenes - a new twist was that one could not be started until two items were found elsewhere. Puzzles were nothing new - some way too easy but that's OK. I loved the maze.

Two negatives..
the Bonus game was very, very short. Many lately have been quite lengthy.
What did Jessica do to cause all those deaths? We were shown a newspaper but it was not specific.

2dogsx2
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by 2dogsx2 on Jun 16, 17 2:21 AM
This is an excellent game! played it 3 times, from a seasoned player

runtotorun
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by runtotorun on Jun 21, 17 6:23 PM
Excellent game. For me it was fast paced and entertaining. Very logical with great scenes.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jul 13, 17 9:18 AM
The Beast and it's matser were here long before you were, and will be here long after you're gone. You can fight the beast, but you will never win, after all, the Faceless Gravedigger has already begun digging a grave. But that's just an urban legend, right? Wrong, in fact, you're dead wrong!
The Big Fish Editor's aren't wrong about this creepy little gem. Welcome to Quiet Grave, er, I mean Quiet Grove. This breathtaking Resort of yesteryear was once a place where people were just dying to get in. But after four quests mysteriously disappeared without a trace, Quiet Grove was forced to close it's gates for good. Time has not been kind to the resort as the mortar begins to crumble, and weather erodes all that remain. Deep within the shadow of ruins, the Faceless Gravedigger also awaits patiently with his beastly companion. The Gravedigger has already dug a grave, your grave! R.I.P my friend, you can fight, but you'll never win!
This Collector's Edition could have been epic if the devs would have chosen to have some really good Morphing Objects from beyond the grave. But nooo, instead they chose to offer Character figurines and hidden Paw Prints! This isn't a game about puppies and kittens, it's a game about an Urban Legend (Bonfire Story) the Faceless Gravedigger! Wouldn't you agree that finding a Morphing Faceless Gravedigger is more appealing? At least exchange the puppy paw prints with grave markers or a scythe! Could've, Would've, Should've.
The Hidden Object Scenes are really well done and are located in interesting scenes. There are Multiple finds, Interactive list finds and Keywords in sentence finds, all of which have plenty of interactions to hold your interest, some even have puzzles to solve. My only complaint is that some of the objects are too small and unrecognizable.
The Mini games are doable, but not necessarily simplistic. Below are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the demo:
1) Drag a wire from the starting point to it's color coded node without crossing wire paths.
2) Arrange pipes to restore the water flow by swapping directional pipe sections.
3) Select buttons to replicate the punch card template, some buttons affect others.
4) Use the map to navigate the basement tunnels. You will have to explore dead ends as well, to find necessary inventory items to progress.
5) Aim and press to shoot a tennis ball when horizontal and vertical moving lines are centered in the target.
6) Create the correct pictural by selecting either the bowls of glowing mushrooms or segments of the mural.
This Collector's Edition has 8 Music Soundtracks, 9 Achievements to earn, 9 Character Figurines, 25 hidden Paw Prints of the beast, 17 Wallpapers, 36 Concept Art pictures, 6 Videos, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy your stay!

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jul 25, 17 3:49 PM
I love this game. HOG were fun. Just didn't like the ending

Go to: