Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for The Forgotten Fairy Tales: Spectra World Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on May 20, 17 12:52 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 05/20/2017 at 6:28:35 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for The Forgotten Fairy Tales: Spectra World Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 20, 17 4:45 AM
I have no doubt the usual suspects will dismiss this game; it's 'fairy tale' title will put many players off and already I read that this game will appeal to children. Well I'm not a child and I liked it

The graphics are a touch grainy here and there with pastel shades that suited the story perfectly. Voices are pretty good and not out of place in this type of game. The HOS were varied and not always easy but fun to play. Someone said 'all the puzzles are easy'; I disagree with that assessment. Some were easy but not all of them.

Plenty of collectibles and good luck finding them! I found one feather and never saw another one; the crystals are easier and the creatures not so much. The map transports and shows you if you've found all the collectibles. The SG was easy to follow and I had fun clicking on everything in each scene of the game to see what happened!

One original aspect was the alternative to the HOS. They are puzzles in the form of triangles that you can swap and rotate. They were definitely not easy; there's an outline of a background picture but otherwise no clue as to what goes where. I spent a large proportion of the demo on these puzzles, which I loved. Something with a level of thought and challenge at last; more like this, please!

I thoroughly enjoyed the demo, which sends a wife and mother on an adventure to another world to save her family. Not an original concept but what is nowadays? There isn't a 'helper' as such and I didn't come across a broken zip, an oil can, a coin to undo screws or any other of those hackneyed elements, so that'll do for me A definite buy in this weekend's sale!

No technical issues with the sample/demo, which lasted the full 90 minutes. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for The Forgotten Fairy Tales: Spectra World Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on May 20, 17 6:28 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on The Forgotten Fairy Tales: The Spectra World Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on The Forgotten Fairy Tales: The Spectra World Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

janey1806
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for The Forgotten Fairy Tales: Spectra World Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by janey1806 on May 20, 17 8:04 AM
Yes I agree with Angelfish. Just finished the demo and I really enjoyed it. Love Fairy Tales etc. I thought it was much better than thursdays offering. The hos are interesting and I loved all the creatures. Kept my interest in a game for the first time in ages.

OnBreak
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by OnBreak on May 20, 17 8:13 AM
I am not too far into the demo, but i am far enough to know i really enjoy this game. For me, i consider myself an intermediate player. I love all the puzzles and mini games already and the hops are fun. I like to play a game where i dont had to hit the Hint Button bur rarely. It has plenty to do and the story line is interesting. Give it a try

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on May 20, 17 9:22 AM
Interesting game, newer HOS designs which made finding items more of a challenge, enjoyed what I played of the demo. Graphics were good, personally I could have used a little more color than the predominate grey but overall not too hard on the eyes although I think it is going to require reading glasses for finding extras. Fox is entertaining and thank heavens I don't have to feed or clothe him. I salute the designers that stay up all night dreaming up all the strange little creatures inhabiting this alternate world. Good buy this week! So I'm off to see if I can redeem Bella and keep my family from turning into garden ornaments.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on May 20, 17 12:16 PM
Usually I don’t like EleFun Games
Some have been good like
Mayan Prophecies: Blood Moon
Mayan Prophecies: Cursed Island
Mayan Prophecies: Ship of Spirits
But there witch ones I didn’t care for!
This game seems to have a different story line! Same sounds but I’m enjoying it!
But to each his own!

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on May 20, 17 1:44 PM
Maybe I'm just not in the right mind set I found it tedious, unlogical and boring with too much chatter and cut scenes.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on May 20, 17 8:57 PM
I read the reviews (only a couple at the time), and both were quite negative about this game, which made me curious, as I remembered playing the beta and thinking it quite good.

Anyhoo, I gave this demo a try, and while I have to agree that to some extent it is much like other games (and what isn't, these days?), it most certainly isn't as bad as they thought - not to me anyway.

I had to laugh at our new Guardian's comment "but I'm just a normal professor!", and wondered what an abnormal one is like, lol.

And I am quite liking the exaggerated voices of the villains, they remind me of the children's shows where the kids get to yell at the "bad" people on stage and they yell back - all good fun. Then again, maybe it's just me feeling like a kid again.

Well, I enjoyed the demo so much, I bought the game. Now I'm off to let my inner child play it.

Cheers,

Jen

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 21, 17 1:50 AM
As HOGs go, this is a really nice and entertaining game. However, why oh why do most games these days consist just of dark colours? I don't want to play a whole game that has mainly blue, purple and/or turquoise colours. It's downright depressing.

For me, great graphics and colours are most important in a game, and if I don't get those I won't buy the game.

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on May 21, 17 6:28 AM
agree with valdy,much too dark and gloomy. Unless someone can tell me of a way to lighten it a little (or a lot ) I won't be buying it. Pity as I like this type of story line.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on May 21, 17 8:17 AM
Finished game! I did enjoy it! Not Woo Hoo! but it was pretty good! But what games are all that fantastic like years ago? & BF sale made it better! If ones don't like the talking they can skip it! I understand it can be annoying! I do like some voice overs! The darkness, & wickedness has gotten real bad lately! Whats up w/ the Devs. I see lots BF fishes saying they like the fantasy's & lighter games! I'm sorry but I think the Devs are a little deranged nowadays! LOL

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on May 24, 17 12:55 PM
I finally finished this game. It was just OK in my opinion. What was very disappointing (as I find with many CE games now) - no opportunity is given by the developers to go back at the end of the bonus game to get whatever collectibles we didn't get during game play. I know I could find very few feathers, and didn't get some of the other collectibles. I don't want to have to replay the game just to get these items.

The game played very well for me - no glitches or anything - win 8.1 on a PC.

angelyum
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by angelyum on May 26, 17 7:31 PM
I am in the grave yard, got every thing but last 3 items, I see them and click on them and nothing game stops there help help help

[Post New]by debutaunt100 on May 27, 17 8:15 PM
I LOVED THE MAIN PART AND MOST LIKELY WOULD LOVE THE BONUS IF IT WORKED.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jul 13, 17 9:25 AM
The Forgotten Fairy Tales is a forgettable game, there's just nothing special about it. If Fear For Sale got together with Lost Lands, this is what their offspring game would look like. The graphics are almost foggy in appearance and I'm not sure if this was a particular fairy tale look they were going for, or they didn't have a large enough budget and cut some corners in the graphics department. The biggest mistake they made however, was with the storyline. If you have played a lot of HOPA games, you'll notice that they have used bits and pieces of other games. For starters, there's the Orb Eyeballs, minions of evil, that have been in several different games, with and without eyeballs. Mom is a professor (granted they aren't usually Folklore professors) and has been "chosen" as guardian of the portal (Lost Lands) Hubby and daughter are in peril and turning into stone (Surface, Myths of the World and just about every other series games) Otherworldly Bracelet that give mom super powers (probably easier to list the games who don't have a magical bracelet but how about Echos of the Past: Wolf Healer)
The Bottom line is, that this is a brand new entry in the HOPA genre. I found the game to be easy, but not necessarily boring. I took advantage of today's sale and bought this game, because I want to play this new series through. I really think that if given a chance, this series could pick up the pace and make a better attempt at originality, with a "fairytale" theme, the possibilities are endless.
The Hidden Object Scenes are mostly Interactive List finds, but some items are fairly well hidden. There are also several Zoom Zone scenes where you have to find 5 items hidden in the background scene while the zoom zone is open, just like in Witches Legacy and Fear For Sale. My favorite scene was also the most challenging, where you were tasked with finding items that match the Keywords during a story. I will admit that some of the logical item matches were hard to find in a black and white sketch. If you're not into HOP's, there is an alternate Puzzle where you swap and rotate triangle puzzle pieces to complete the image.
The Mini Games are fairly easy, and again, forgettable and not original. The following are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the demo:
1) Repeat the sequence by clicking on color coded arrows.
2) Use a scope to aim at the targets.
3) Use the symbol code decipher to spell the word Spectra.
4) Slide horizontal and vertical blocks to clear a path for the amber block to exit.
5) Swap items on the doorknockers to match the examples shown.
6) Mix primary colors to make the required secondary colors, you can match the symbols but they are easy colors, purple, green....
7) Find and place missing items into the scene correctly.
8) Follow directions to make a drum.
9) Lead a character through a labyrinth avoiding obstacles.
This Collector's Edition has 9 Wallpapers, 11 Concept Art pictures, 3 Screensavers, 3 Music Soundtracks, 10 Achievements to earn, 16 Bestiary collectibles, 6 collectible Feathers, 20 Light Crystals that are used to cleanse the Room of Spectra History to learn the secrets of the Spectra World, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy!

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jul 15, 17 7:51 AM
Based on completed game and bonus

Tech Issue: See my post in main thread. Do NOT open Tower Room in bonus game until you have used the bracelet all 12 times. Collect crystals but don't look at the collection room until the end of the bonus chapter to avoid the glitch. Recommend making a copy of your save file after completing the main game.

Now for the game. I liked it. Elefun does fantasy so if that isn't your thing, better to just leave their games alone rather than put yourself through the misery fantasy games cause you. I enjoyed the story and going through the different worlds as you figure out what is really going on around here.

The graphics were typical Elefun. They are definitely clear enough to play - they just have that "look" that all their games have. I would call it more soft drawings rather than blurry. The scenes were definitely not blurry. I believe the style is simply designed to convey that you are not in the real world in any way shape or form. But again, if you like Elefun games, you will most likely like this. If not, then there you go. Personally, I would absolutely hate it if all the developers used the same graphics - everything would quite literally look the same. I enjoy dipping into the worlds that the different developers design and they are quite different from each other.

Challenge level was okay for me. There were some more challenging puzzles as the game progressed. And I do always love the HOPs that Elefun creates. When I play these games I always jump in thinking this is a HOP game and not a puzzle game and though this one did deliver a few more puzzles, this game did not disappoint on the quality of the HOP scenes.

Game length was good. I do recommend this new series for fans of the Elefun style of game play.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Aug 16, 17 7:59 PM
finished. Found everything but 1 feather & 1 crystal.

[Post New]by Dannielle2 on Aug 23, 17 8:59 PM
YOU ARE LUCKY TO BE ABLE TO PLAY THIS GAME. I HAVE TRIED SO MANY TIMES AND STILL CANNOT GET IT TO PLAY. I LOVE THIS TYPE OF GAME BUT I AM GOING TO HAVE TO GET MY MONEY BACK WHICH I REALLY DID NOT WANT TO DO BUT AFTER ALL THE TIMES OF UNINSTALLING ND RE INSTALLING IT I GOT TIRED OF TRYING TO GET IT TO WORK.

[Post New]by tobermory on Sep 3, 17 8:42 AM
Try changing the screen resolution in your computer then open the game and close it. Change the screen resolution back and the game should open - at least it works for me.

Go to: