Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Hotel: Personal Nightmare Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on May 25, 17 12:41 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 05/25/2017 at 6:10:38 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Hotel: Personal Nightmare Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Valdy on May 25, 17 1:38 AM
At last a "Haunted Hotel" game I like, despite the fact that everything is once again mainly in shades of blue and turquoise. Finished the demo and can't wait to continue.

I also like the interactive animated touches as well as the keyhole hint. Spooky...

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Hotel: Personal Nightmare Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on May 25, 17 3:42 AM
I always agree with Valdy, we have similar taste. I want this game...need this game...think it's a great game...will buy this game! On the next sale.

I was so involved in the demo...I forgot I only had a short time...before the demo ended. That say's a lot about how good a game is. When it grabs your whole attention and you loose track of time.

Of course we've seen the story line over and over again. But, it look's like Developers are not going to every listen to our pleas/gripes/insistence/desires on changing game story lines. So, we have to surrender to buying sequel's to games we like the most.

The only complaint I experienced was a very slow cursor. But, of course I change it to windows cursor...like I do in so many games. I really prefer to use the game cursors. I find them much more enjoyable.

Well, try the game for yourself. It's buy on sale for me. Hopefully this Holiday? One can hope.

Enjoy,
Lisa

edited: I agree with cbtx also. And everyone who really likes this edition to a great Series.

Edited on 05/25/2017 at 3:45:08 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on May 25, 17 6:00 AM
Not as creepy as name sounds, 4 chapters + bonus chapter. If your looking for a long game this ain't it! I like more the fairy tale kind of game, more like Tuesdays! I'm not bashing the game, just not something I care too much for!

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on May 25, 17 6:11 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Haunted Hotel: Personal Nightmare Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Haunted Hotel: Personal Nightmare Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on May 25, 17 12:00 PM
IMO there is NOTHING to like about this dreadful rehashed game. Same old story line where you are wandering all over a haunted hotel & the adjacent countryside. Of course there is the "required" ghostly apparition who is a headless horseman in this reincarnation. Same old cheesy graphics & hideous blue coloring. It's boring & not much thought is needed to figure out the plot & next move. I played the entire demo & am surprised that I didn't fall asleep during the first 5 min of game play.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on May 25, 17 2:01 PM
I am loving this game, I haven't played Haunted Hotel in a long time so this is a welcome change....I don't find the graphics washed out at all, very clear and absolutely love the hidden object scenes....we all have different tastes, that makes it interesting ....for everyone who loves the game, enjoy!!!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 25, 17 5:21 PM
Hi all. As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story line to others who do a much better job than I. Wow, is this really #14 in this series! Graphics were exceptional, very clear with no blurring when going in or out of cut scenes. Colors were very clear and bright, but not over powering at all. Voices are age and character appropriate and very well done, with all emotions so far. The last few in this series had very little dialog, but this one seems to have more and all in the right places. Music was nice and sinister when needed, otherwise somewhat soothing. I didn't notice a lot of sound FX, but what we had was very well done. Animation was excellent, including the fading in and out of ghosts. Be aware that we do have things that jump in your face, e.g. creepy beings, skulls, etc., but not constantly.

HOPs were clear and clean, no junk piles. Items were easy to find, so no eye strain. As usual, we had a combo of interactive lists, finding pairs and straight lists. There seems to be more HOPs in this one than in previous games in this series, but not so many that you get bored with them. I did not see that you could switch to anything else if you got bored with the HOPs. Puzzles were not difficult, but one did take a little time and thought to complete. I was getting close to getting frustrated, but that's the challenge of the puzzle. We do have a lot of back-tracking for items, but we have a transport feature that saves a lot of time. You also have a jump map if you prefer, but the transport is much faster. Hint system is helpful and fills within 15 seconds, so not too bad, although 10 seconds is plenty long enough for me. Strategy guide is the usual and helpful if you just can't find that one last collectible.

Collectibles are well done with a little challenge to them. We have 20 morphing items to find. These are not difficult, but they do morph fairly quickly. We also have 20 puzzles pieces to complete 3 pictures. Not sure why, but be on the lookout for these pieces. They can be almost any shape and are easy to overlook. We also collect "fears." Not sure how many we have, but these are not as easy to spot as you think, as they can come in any shape or size and be almost any item. I accidentally found a couple. There is an icon in the bottom right corner that tells you if you found the collectibles or not.

Yes, we have to find Mom and Sis, but we have a bit of a twist in this story. Very interesting and fun, with some challenge thrown in. I was drawn into this game very quickly and definitely have a need to finish. Personally, I think this is the best in this series so far, and gave it a 4.75. I think this game will appeal to all levels of players. Yes, I am adding it to my pile of collectibles.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Aerosage
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Aerosage on Jun 6, 17 8:03 PM
I'll keep this review short and sweet. Granted, it may have some of the pitfalls that EVERY casual game has, but at least it's not the same old tiresome fantasy game where the aggressive female heroine saves the world, while the passive male stands by in limbo. Just the fact that the protagonist is male in itself makes this game a unique experience compared to all other releases in 2017.

daggy_k
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by daggy_k on Jun 10, 17 6:00 AM
I really liked the game.
Ok, there's not much new in it, but it felt comfortably familiar.

With some things, like the headless horseman, I thought they were randomly thrown into the mix without furthering the story, whereas others were an integral part.
I liked meeting James again and some of the features from previous games. Like having to click on one active zone several times until you get everything there is.

Gameplay wasn't complicated, puzzles fairly easy (too easy for my taste), HOPs varied and it's objects well spottable. Map helpful, just not anything more than functional.
Many collectibles/puzzle pieces/morphing objects; most of them quite obvious. I have a couter for the morpfs in play-mode, but cannot see or do anything about them anywhere else?

Just two things I didn't like so much.
First, why do I have to pick one of three fears, when afterwards this is completely overruled by the fixed storyline?
Second is things being out of place and time. Especially the items in the HOPs; for instance an Aztec setting and having to find a scarab and a papyrus. And pleeeaase look up a snowleopard's habitat before placing it in Greenland. That really hurt.

Arien1
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

Just the right amount of creepy fun!

[Post New]by Arien1 on Jul 6, 17 9:56 PM
I've played all of the Haunted Hotel games but this was the first one that actually creeped me out a bit, which I really enjoyed. I liked the storyline, the voice acting and the background music. I thought the graphics were clear and well done and really added to the ambiance of the game. It was a decent length, although I would have liked it to be longer (I find that to be true of most games though). All in all, this is probably one of my favorites in the series.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jul 13, 17 9:28 AM
Welcome to the Freedom Hotel, a hotel that can grant your deepest desires, a hotel that can help you overcome your deepest fears. A hotel whose owner just might be the Ruler of Darkness, the Angel of Light, Belial, the Deceiver, Beelzebub, the almighty King of the bottomless pit! The cost of a room at this hotel isn't cheap, you could very well pay the ultimate price.....you're soul!
To play this game, you'll have to sign a contract with the hotel's owner (no worries, you will be signing in as Stephen Blake searching for his mother Elizabeth and sister Kate, not your chosen screen name, just in case your darkest fear is the fear of signing away your soul, also known as thedevilmademedoitphobia) To try to make your stay more enjoyable, feel free to search for Ghosts of past hotel guests, Morphing Beyond objects and Morphing Phobias. The owner would appreciate your cooperation in returning his missing family Crest pieces as well, so if you come across any of these fragments, kindly assemble the crest and return the screensaver, no questions asked.
Also for your entertainment, the hotel has arranged some wicked Hidden Object Scenes, former guests say they are to die for! Former guest Mary had this to say: "I absolutely loved the scene where I found objects that matched the silhouetted shapes of animal prints, one in particular seems to belong to a beast!" James had this to say about his experience: " I had no choice but to dig through a mucky fountain as I searched for items to save my life" One of our permanent guests Frank also adds: "The hotel's bar is in shambles, I had to move items just to find two of every ingredient just to whip up my favorite spirit!"
The puzzles are optional at this hotel, you won't be penalized for not participating in the game, however, it is strongly recommended that you give at least one of these games a try, if you want to have an immersive experience:
1) Navigate through the hotel corridors to reach your mother using the hotel map to select the correct hallways and doorways. Caution, your fears will come into play.
2) Place the flags according to the year they represent.
3) Find the correct path through the forest by rotating the compass until the correct group of prints that match the clues align, then choose the path the arrow points to. Please be cautious of things that go bump in the dark.
4) Place the owls in their correct color coded spots. (please ignore the fact that you just fed a spotted owl walnuts)(because they don't eat nuts)(they eat meat)(but maybe he's just overcoming his fear of eating the same thing a squirrel does)(....just saying....)
5) Guide the mouse through the labyrinth by using directional arrows to plot the course and clicking the start button to test your solution. (do you think mechanical mice have fears?)
6) Follow the recipe to brew a soothing cup of tea to give to James because he's supposedly freaking out, but he looks perfectly fine to me. ( I fear people who are freaking out but appear normal.)
Haunted Hotel Games available:
Haunted Hotel (SE only 11-16-11)
Haunted Hotel II: Believe the Lies (SE only 11-16-11)
Ancient Bane (5-29-14)
Charles Dexter Ward (6-10-12)
Death Sentence (12-18-14)
Eclipse (10-10-13)
Eternity (4-24-15)
Lonely Dream (SE only 11-25-11)
Personal Nightmare (5-25-17)
Phoenix (8-20-15)
Silent Waters (9-17-16)
The Axiom Butcher (4-30-16)
The Thirteenth (12-24-16)
The X (11-12-15)
This Collector's Edition has 10 Wallpapers, 10 Concept Art pictures, 4 Music Soundtracks, 15 Achievements, Morphing Phobias, 20 Morphing Beyond Objects, 20 Hotel Crest fragments to assemble a Screensaver, 12 replayable Mini Games, 16 replayable Hidden Object Scenes, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy your stay, you could be here a long, long time!

Go to: