Sablesshadow
Manatee
Manatee
4,347 Posts

Swimming against the tide

[Post New]by Sablesshadow on Apr 19, 10 9:51 AM
I enjoy this game. It's light and breezy, IMO, and I like the mini-games. Sometimes a game just gets too heavy; I thought this one was a lark.

I've never seen a hint system so quick on the trigger. That's fine by me, sometimes i just can't find an object for love or money.

I like the mini-games, find that they're fun, and the spin-o-meter is a hoot.

I'll give Sweetcandygames and his/her cohorts on this one; I suspect English is not their major language. I know I couldn't do as well in any language other than English. Props for going for it.

As someone else said on another thread, it's not the worst game Big Fish has put out by a long shot.

juliebr
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

Re:Swimming against the tide

[Post New]by juliebr on Apr 19, 10 10:51 AM
I also enjoyed my free 60 minutes. I doubt I will buy it, but other than the monster helper, the rest was pretty enjoyable. My trivia answers were almost always incorrect--but, I guess if I wanted to, I could learn from my mistakes, I love the mini games--well, except for the find the differences, but then I always hate them. Anyhow, as I have mentioned in other posts, I always play with the volume off so again, it was an acceptable way to pass time while I watched TV. Yes, I did notice the spelling and I thought the story was kind of silly, but there was a hint at the beginning that allowed you to click through the words quickly, so, I just didn't read them. I often wonder if I could make money editing games...I speel pritty gud most of the tim. Have a good day!

akaratcat
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by akaratcat on Apr 19, 10 12:01 PM
I only played for about 30 min......so far not a bad game......no problems seeing any objects nor did I need hints......don't know if I will buy as no idea how long game is.........Don't understand all the fuss......not every game can be RTR......lighten up, play the game for what it is,,,,,just a game.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 19, 10 12:31 PM
I'm swimming against the tide on this one also. I enjoy a "light" HOG and I especially like finding anachronysms in real art. The mini-games are fun and nicely varies. I do wish that gallery women didn't say the same thing over and over, but that's easily dealt with (click!).

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Apr 19, 10 2:50 PM
sweetcandygames wrote:
Hello for all of the fishies, im one of the catmoon members who developed the game.

sweetcandygames,
I thought you should hear from someone who actually bought your game.

I liked your game and bought it. Thanks for all the hard work.

I would have liked more information about the paintings but I'm not a lawyer so, I won't give you any grief about the copyright issue.

I would like to respectfully disagree with the assumption of one poster here that most HOG enthusiasts don't care about the story. The story is more important to HOG players than many of the other genres and the HOG review trash heaps are full of disappointed comments about uninteresting story lines.

Additionally, I think the short BFG trial time is unfortunate for some games as I find that I learn more about the game's internal logic and a feel for the game developers intentions as I spend a bit more time with them but economics dictates the trial time.

Thanks again

romany09
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by romany09 on Apr 19, 10 3:03 PM
I agree with jkuci and others: nice storyline, nice game. Thanks!

volnole68
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by volnole68 on Apr 19, 10 5:58 PM
I really enjoyed this game as well. My pictures aren't grainy and I love the mini games and the spin o meter. Some of the objects are hard to see but that's part of the challenge since you know they may be "white on white." Glad I read these posts and decided to try it. Thanks!!

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Apr 19, 10 8:39 PM
I think this game is getting a very bad rap, and I disagree.

It's a light, fun game with lots of mini puzzles. If you don't like mini puzzles, you can skip them.

In the earlier images, many of the hidden objects do seem to be "pasted on top" (the notorious feather masquerading as a cloud in the sky) leaps to mind. But, as you go along, you'll find that the objects are incorporated better. It's almost as though the first couple of pictures are training levels.

I didn't find grainy graphics. I saw some old pictures, reproduced as they were, but I didn't find the graphics to be that awful.

The lead character is a bit too talky. I really didn't need to be congratulated every few minutes! And yes, there's a translation problem, but it's not the first time we've seen that, and I think it's brave to do a game in English when it isn't your first language.

I still maintain that developers ought to find honest gamers who speak more than one language, who know how to edit, to help them with translations. Hey, swapping work for free games would be a win-win all the way around.

The skill test spinning wheel is a hoot! And they have a good supply of games to play. Their approach to jigsaw puzzles is non-traditional, and fun.

They give good instructions at the start, teaching you about all the tools and how things work. Truthfully, if you're using the magnifying glass, you will be able to find all the objects. The magnifier is even scalable.

I think this game is getting caught in a vortex that I've noticed around BFG: games with an intellectual bent (like Crime and Punishment) or solid history as a baseline tend to get heavily trashed. The preference definitely is for sparkly games, magical and adventure with hidden object. That's OK--I love those too--but I think there's room for games that are outside that heavily-beaten track, and games that incorporate literature, art, or history.

BTW, the trivia min-game is a great learning tool in this game.

I've gotten through 3 pictures in 48 minutes. And enjoyed it all--very relaxing, with nice changes of pace and a sense of humor. The final "voting" from other galleries is a hoot!

donnasm
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by donnasm on Apr 20, 10 4:20 AM
Thank you for the positive feedback. This game looks like something I would enjoy, but after reading all the negative posts, I was not going to even try it. However, I am now downloading the trial and will give it a shot. I like history, I like learning, and I love mini-games mixed in with hidden objects, so this might be right down my alley. We shall see.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 20, 10 10:34 AM
I was curious about this game after reading all the negative comments and some serious complaining about the qraphics, the mistake meter, the vampire lady etc., so downloaded it. And I'm another fishie swimming against the tide as I quite liked it too.
Granted the graphics were on the grainy side, especially compared to something like Love and Death:Bitten but not so bad they put me off playing. I agree the vampire lady had a bit too much too say but clicking on the dialogue box speeded her up so again not off putting. As for the mistake meter...well once or twice I got rapped for a mistake when actually I had clicked on the right thing but it didn't annoy me particularly. The mini games were somewhat repetetive, it would have been nice to get a better choice other than the usual 'spot the difference' or 'find the pairs'.

Overall this wasn't the best game I've ever played but it wasn't the worst either. I'm not sorry I gave it a try and I think some of the criticisms have been very harsh. I won't rush to buy it because there are other games I want first but I will keep it as a possible and perhaps buy on a DD. I would say try it and see for yourself, it isn't as bad as it's painted (excuse the pun!)

Oh and I did like getting my awards, got 2 gold and one silver!!

JAWJAB
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by JAWJAB on Apr 20, 10 11:44 AM
As you can tell from my post total I very rarely post here. Although I am a lurker and enjoy reading the comments and reviews before purchasing a game. This is one time though I too am swimming against the tide.

I love the game, 50 levels, four mini games with each level, you can repeat a level for a better score, hints available and i like the graphics. Granted the gal does pop up a lot but all you have to do is double click and you continue with the game. Quite a few different aspects to this game that I haven't seen before. Some are complaining about the mistake bar, most HOG if you use too many clicks you get a cracked mirror, a roving cursor etc so this is about the same thing.

I was quite surprised to read the very curt and rude comments made about not only the game but to one of the developers. As someone pointed out there is a big language difference and I give the developer applause for commenting on all the criticism pointed not only to the game but to them as well.

With all this being said I shall now "sit down and shut-up". Probably won't post again for quite a while but I felt that I needed to support the other swimmers against the tide and also the game developer.

JAWJAB/EI

Edited on 04/20/2010 at 2:24:43 PM PST

Sablesshadow
Manatee
Manatee
4,347 Posts

[Post New]by Sablesshadow on Apr 20, 10 2:14 PM
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one "swimming against the tide." Sometimes the non-complainers just have to be heard, lol.

Glad for all the positive posts. It's good to have a approach to this game by more than just lil ole me. Off to enjoy the game so more!

Thanks for all the positive feedback, you great fishies!

donnasm
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by donnasm on Apr 20, 10 5:47 PM
I have now played for half an hour, and I like the game. I am hoarding my money for a CE, but will use a game or punch card credit on it next month. My eyes are not all that great (old age), but I am not having a lot of trouble finding most of the objects. And I really like the mini games. It might not be the greatest game in the world, but well worth an afternoon of play.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Apr 21, 10 7:51 AM
I'm also glad to see some more positive feedback. Thanks, ya'll!

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Apr 21, 10 1:29 PM
I guess I am swimming against the tide also. I like the game and had no trouble except the very first picture. It was fuzzy to me but found all the objects. The meter doesnt bother me at all. I like the wheels and the variety of mini-games. Where you stop the wheel is the game you get. So far I have had 5 differerent ones to play and I am in the 3rd chapter.

[Post New]by sweetcandygames on Apr 23, 10 9:05 AM
Thank you all for your nice comment in this thread !! It's make us smile and give us a bit of sunshine ! Thanks !!

We got many very harsh comment about our game in another threads, and im truly disappointed about them. Some peoples comments much worser than it's was ever imagined. I felt myself personally who did something unlawfull thing just becouse developed and released this game for yours...
You must to know it's was a hard development cycle, just becouse this title is based on something different, based on culture and high art. We made a few mistakes, but i think their extreme harsh comments are without any goodwill.

I'm very happy to read that some of yours love the game. I think if somebody give to the game more than 10 minutes will like it...some others are not, but hey, bfg release a new game every day, it"s easy to find another one.
Have a wonderfull day and thanks for playing and enjoying our game! We love you all !!

Edited on 04/23/2010 at 9:07:23 AM PST

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Apr 23, 10 11:59 PM
i also liked the game, i do agree though that the woman popped up too much but that is ok. some of the items were hard to find like the feather in the first portrait it took me forever and i don't know how many hints. it is a different type of game and a nice change of pace, very relaxing i think. mini games not too bad although the trivia one i can't get right lol.

Go to: