TiramaSue
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

we few, we happy few, we band of DQ'ers

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 26, 17 1:08 PM
I thought it would be nice to have a thread where those who are working on the DQ achievements could share their progress and offer encouragement to each other.

I'm hoping that those who think we are nuts will leave us demented Don Quixote's to tilt at our windmills in peace, but I've brought along my umbrella in case anybody shows up to rain on my parade.

One of things that's been discussed is just how long will it take to complete the DQ achievements. After putting in a good effort since the gnomes returned after the Winter Event, analyzing the numbers, crunching them, distilling them, and otherwise torturing them in order to discover the exact minute I would become a Dwarf Priest, I decided that I should approach the question from the other direction: When would I like to finish them? I thought and thought, and the phrase 'Ya gotta believe' kept running through my brain.

Of course! October 16, 2019.

That day will be the 50th anniversary of the Miracle Mets winning their first World Series. I was born and raised in the New York metropolitan area. I lived though the excitement and watched as what everybody said was impossible became reality.

I like the parallels: winning the division ( 3 part DQ's), then the league championship (5 part DQ's) and finally the World Series (10 part DQ's).

Naturally, I will be over the moon (moon landing - another 1969 event) if I finish sooner.

TiramaSue
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

Re:we few, we happy few, we band of DQ'ers

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 26, 17 1:19 PM
The gnomes have been very kind to me this time around. I know it can't last, and I did get quite a scare when the first day ended with Three Days and the second started off with Record Keeper. I thought what happened after the Winter Event was going to happen again.

One of my games ended the 4th day with Something New, and started the 5th day with Rare Editions and What's Going On, then received Competition, Experiment, and Helpful Device before the Record Keeper showed up, so it is possible to get a good run of DQ's.

The other game only completed 3 DQ's, but 2 of them were 10 parts, so I'm a happy DQ'er.

And Trina has pretty much been in synch, asking for airships at the appropriate moments, so I guess it doesn't get any better than this.

silver_hawk
Stingray
Stingray
4,827 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on May 26, 17 1:34 PM
Here's an extra umbrella - just in case

I just came back to the castle a week before the SE. So I'm a few months late to start the DQ party. Silver managed to get a couple 10 parters before the SE started. Was put on hold for 42 days for obvious reasons. Since the SE ended it's only been less than a week to work on them. To date my stats are:

Silver (main game L74 )
3 - part = 5
5 - part = 8
10 - part = 5

Double Helix (second game L28 )
3 - part = 12
5 - part = 6
10 - part = 2

I see it as goals. My goal is to have the 3 and 5 parters done by or before the end of the year - 2017.

10 part. I can get at least 2 to 3 a week. My goal will then be by or before June 2020.

If for some reason I don't meet my goals I'll set another one. There are a few things that will slow me down. Having to shut down my computer for the many thunderstorms that come through my area often and, of course, the events that put Gnome DQ's on hold (which will be a good time to build resources), along with the few monthly doctors appointments that eat up time, and spending time with DH evenings and weekends (He's worth every minute ).

All that just adds another layer of challenge. If I can make it to the end then it will be a great feeling. I've only just begun... Baby steps - just going to take it one DQ at a time.

playingthegame
Manatee
Manatee
3,627 Posts

[Post New]by playingthegame on May 26, 17 1:44 PM
It will be the 10 - part that will be difficult to finish as the 2 and 5 part - DQs will "interfere" by appearing VERY inconveniently almost every day, when you don't want them to.
So do them? or wait until the following day?
Time will tell as I am only just past the half way stage for the 2 - part DQ

[Post New]by GulfCoastGuppy on May 26, 17 1:44 PM
, you can put away the umbrella. I will hold my head high and proudly proclaim to be a DQ-er. And I vow to pull those 40 year old pom-poms out of the closet and support my comrades.

Since the Spring event ended I've been able to complete approximately 10 each of the 3, 5, and 10 parters. Right now I have been lucky NOT to receive DQs requiring airships, so I'm busy rounding more airship items up. Timing with Trina, not so lucky as she has wanted 300 airships every quest, but she has been very patient waiting.

I was going to wait until June 1 for counts, but this will help clean off my desk/playing area :

I don't really have a specific date in mind for completing these yet. This will take some more thought and review of how my own game has been statistically.

Hope your good luck continues TSue and all the rest of us

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on May 26, 17 2:00 PM
LOL, Never say never.

I was a DQ naysayer, just because I wasn't one to play them not that I begrudge anyone else's joy.

But with all the posts talking about the DQs, I actually played some yesterday. And I even used an amulet to get through a 10-parter. Nothing compared to you guys, but it's a start.

I'm still not a total convert, but who knows, I might get there! 🦋

silver_hawk
Stingray
Stingray
4,827 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on May 26, 17 2:15 PM
Tip for anyone starting the DQ's

When you're required to feed pets. Use the pets with the lowest food requirements and try to match it to the amount of food you need to feed to get more chests (waste not, want not).

If the DQ says feed 10...

Use a pet that requires 2 food and another for 3 food = 5 and another that requires 5 food = 10 total food = 3 chests. More chests more chances for extra stamps, diamonds, airship items, medallions to use for crafting food for crafting quests, and shards in addition to the coins.

If you're still working on quests then more chances of getting HOS/ZZ items to fill them.

Edited on 05/26/2017 at 2:17:13 PM PST

playingthegame
Manatee
Manatee
3,627 Posts

[Post New]by playingthegame on May 26, 17 2:15 PM
whitebutterfly54 wrote:LOL, Never say never.

I was a DQ naysayer, just because I wasn't one to play them not that I begrudge anyone else's joy.

But with all the posts talking about the DQs, I actually played some yesterday. And I even used an amulet to get through a 10-parter. Nothing compared to you guys, but it's a start.

I'm still not a total convert, but who knows, I might get there! 🦋

Keep in mind that the no-countdown amulet is worth 300 (THREE HUNDRED) diamonds!
I prepare myself both physically ("an essential" stop, energy food and drink at hand; blinds down, television off) and mentally (a sharpened mind with the odd "OMMMMM" or two in my mind) before I press that icon!
Then I use the wands to speed up the process and go for it for one hour. After that I am reeling with success! and usually 5 DQs of various shapes and sizes towards my goal.
Am I rather "strange" and in need of a long sleeved white jacket that ties at the back?

shkspr2012
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by shkspr2012 on May 26, 17 2:16 PM
I'm playing DQs although apparently not as diligently as most on this thread. Have a long way to go. Almost all of my inventory that I was able to save up from the SE is gone already. -but I'm am content to do the rounds. I have no end date set but that is a good idea. Setting my own goals is what keeps me here.
eve

sbaker2318
Manatee
Manatee
3,830 Posts

[Post New]by sbaker2318 on May 26, 17 2:20 PM
I am a proud DQ'er.............always done them.........next time I go in the game AND I remember.......I will check my stats.

TiramaSue
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 26, 17 2:49 PM
playingthegame wrote:It will be the 10 - part that will be difficult to finish as the 2 and 5 part - DQs will "interfere" by appearing VERY inconveniently almost every day, when you don't want them to.
So do them? or wait until the following day?
Time will tell as I am only just past the half way stage for the 2 - part DQ

I find it easy to say no to the newer 3 part DQ's, especially when they come towards the end of the day. I'll play all the old ones whenever they appear.

Deciding what to do when a 5 part DQ shows up is a problem. I don't really like any of them. Towards the end of the day, I usually say no to any that involve playing dice.

The 10 part DQ's will be the toughest to finish because when they come in later in the day, there's just no way to finish them without using diamonds or an amulet. If one of the three newer DQ's shows up, I do it. The older ones, no. I'll wait for a new day.

Aynasha
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by Aynasha on May 26, 17 2:50 PM
135/117/96. No goal set other than I'm determined to complete all three. Amulet blitzes are planned for this weekend (bye-bye my lovely airship item inventory). Can't figure out a way to use destiny key character quests to boost progress other than crafting exclusive food. Am I missing something? All tips are welcomed and will be appreciated!

TiramaSue
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 26, 17 2:56 PM
Aynasha wrote:135/117/96. No goal set other than I'm determined to complete all three. Amulet blitzes are planned for this weekend (bye-bye my lovely airship item inventory). Can't figure out a way to use destiny key character quests to boost progress other than crafting exclusive food. Am I missing something? All tips are welcomed and will be appreciated!

I ignore the blue key quests. If and when there's an achievement attached to them, then I'll do them. I do have one opened. It wants me to open the three monks, which requires a golden storm, which is worth three shards. So every hour I play the HO to get the golden storm and then immediately disenchant it.

Can't think of any way those quests can help. Maybe a better idea is to take the 2,000 coins you would have spent to craft food, and use it to spin the fortune wheel when exclusive pet food shows up.

[Post New]by GulfCoastGuppy on May 26, 17 3:08 PM
Aynasha, I have a Blue key quest with a Column of the Fallen waiting in case I get the Helping Hand DQ. And I also have one asking for the Hole in the Wall which uses 2 torches. If a DQ needs the torches, fine. If I run out, I will get the torch through the Blue key quest, guaranteed, before another DQ needs them. That BK quest may remain on my screen for eternity.

TiramaSue
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 26, 17 3:12 PM
Back in January, I had a blue key quest asking me to open the Telescope AND hand over the contents. No way! But, I did use that quest to get pole stars when the Record Keeper used up my supply.

playingthegame
Manatee
Manatee
3,627 Posts

[Post New]by playingthegame on May 26, 17 3:27 PM
GulfCoastGuppy wrote:Aynasha, I have a Blue key quest with a Column of the Fallen waiting in case I get the Helping Hand DQ. And I also have one asking for the Hole in the Wall which uses 2 torches. If a DQ needs the torches, fine. If I run out, I will get the torch through the Blue key quest, guaranteed, before another DQ needs them. That BK quest may remain on my screen for eternity.

"That's the Way to Do it!" - Mr Punch if I remember correctly?
So much easier now though with the Puzzles to help

sbaker2318
Manatee
Manatee
3,830 Posts

[Post New]by sbaker2318 on May 26, 17 3:41 PM
As of today.......May 26, 2017........my stats are:

3 part...........177
5 part...........144
10 part.........114

Will post my stats again in a few months and see how I am doing.

BAPPLE
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by BAPPLE on May 26, 17 4:41 PM
I planned to start tracking June 1st but in the spirit of this thread...
3part. 187
5part 153
10 part 133
I started doing DQ's as a routine almost a year ago...have no idea how many I had at that time.
I will update monthly and imagine it will be 2plus years.

Thanks for the suggestion to use wands when using an amulet.

crusader50
Clownfish
Clownfish
854 Posts

[Post New]by crusader50 on May 26, 17 4:54 PM
I am a very slow snail on this one:

3 part 63
5 part 34
10 part 21

Have only really started doing the DQs since I don't have much else to do. Doesn't matter when I finish as I am taking it slow and I don't play a lot.

I think I can, I think I can!!!!!!

mamarose1900
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,767 Posts

[Post New]by mamarose1900 on May 26, 17 5:11 PM
This is mainly what I'm doing in the castle when there are no special events, castle challenges, or regular quests to do. I didn't write down my numbers, though.

Good luck to everyone.

Have fun stormin' the castle!

Go to: