Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Saga of the Nine Worlds: The Gathering Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on May 27, 17 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 05/27/2017 at 12:46:32 PM PST

judithannegg
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Saga of the Nine Wolrds: The Gathering Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by judithannegg on May 27, 17 1:35 AM
I just couldn't get past a few minutes on this. I am a hardcore gamer and love to play with no hints and no skip. Even though you can customize the game, it still will not allow no hints and no skips. Now I can sometimes just ignore those buttons and will play a game that still gives me hints and skips, this game literally has the biggest, blazing hint button. It is so glaring that I just wanted to push the button so that the blaze would go away, but then it gave me a hint and I felt like "Noooo! I don't want a hint! I don't want you to tell me what to do, but that blaze needs to go away!" It was distracting to the point that I just gave up and said there are other games for me to play. I did like the graphics. I really don't care about storylines because they all seem too much the same -- rescue other people, my parent is missing, etc. I would like a humorous HOG for a change. I recently replayed The Tiny Bang Story and that was colorful and fun.

WhiteladiesRd
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Saga of the Nine Wolrds: The Gathering Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by WhiteladiesRd on May 27, 17 1:43 AM
That's interesting, as I could switch off hint and skip completely in "Valkyrie" (custom) mode. The hint button was still there, but it didn't have the ring of fire anymore.

ETA: The hint button gets even less obtrusive when inventory is locked. Fantastic to have so many choices. Plus the option to block pop-ups for achievements which can be a real nuisance.

Almost finished the game now. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!
Something very different to the usual fare these days. Engaging story, well researched norse mythology, interesting characters, fantastic Hidden Object Scenes.
Nice touches, as the "runic" inspired font in some written text, probably not meant like this but for me another puzzle.

Edited on 05/28/2017 at 12:20:16 PM PST

judithannegg
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by judithannegg on May 27, 17 1:51 AM
Thanks WhiteLadiesRd! I think I will try it again and see how I can click it off! Then I'll give it a decent go at it!

judithannegg
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by judithannegg on May 27, 17 1:56 AM
Oh, you were right. I was clicking all the right on the custom settings thinking that was how to get rid of the skip and hint buttons. But it was on the left. Whew, now that helps me by not "helping" me! Thanks! Going back in to play some more now!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 27, 17 5:56 AM
It's rare for me to dislike a game but Eipix have created something I actually hate. From the awful font which gave me a headache to the very unlikeable characters, the game was just horrible to play and I couldn't wait to exit it I see elsewhere it has been described as 'one of Eipix's finest works'. I obviously played a different demo

Graphics were the usual good quality and voices were OK. There were very few HOS in the demo and one was impossible; there are 3 panels that you interchange to find the items and I struggled to find anything. I think at this point I realised the game wasn't for me. Puzzles were so-so; nothing special and mostly easy. Map was awful and trying to get it to jump locations was very hit and miss. There are collectibles, although I didn't bother looking for them. Neither did I check the SG nor have the music on.

Eipix have clearly decided to create a new series of games; I won't be buying any of them if they're all like this one. I love the Viking era but not as portrayed in this game. Sorry but I hated it.

I had no technical issues but only played 20 of the 90 minute demo. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 05/27/2017 at 5:59:58 AM PST

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on May 27, 17 6:42 AM
angelfish106 wrote:It's rare for me to dislike a game but Eipix have created something I actually hate. From the awful font which gave me a headache to the very unlikeable characters, the game was just horrible to play and I couldn't wait to exit it I see elsewhere it has been described as 'one of Eipix's finest works'. I obviously played a different demo

Graphics were the usual good quality and voices were OK. There were very few HOS in the demo and one was impossible; there are 3 panels that you interchange to find the items and I struggled to find anything. I think at this point I realised the game wasn't for me. Puzzles were so-so; nothing special and mostly easy. Map was awful and trying to get it to jump locations was very hit and miss. There are collectibles, although I didn't bother looking for them. Neither did I check the SG nor have the music on.

Eipix have clearly decided to create a new series of games; I won't be buying any of them if they're all like this one. I love the Viking era but not as portrayed in this game. Sorry but I hated it.

I had no technical issues but only played 20 of the 90 minute demo. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

That's exactly how I felt........I did the whole demo, what a snoozer.........I really don't see what's supposed to be new about it either. I spent most of the game just pushing the hint and the skip button just to see what to do. And the music really started to grate after a while. I'll just stick to the Haunted Hotel from Thursday.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on May 27, 17 7:23 AM
I didn't last very long in this one. I hated the font, thought the directions were unclear, the story line uninteresting, and the music would have made me stick my fingers in my ears, had I left it on. I would like to take advantage of the sale today, but not with this.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on May 27, 17 8:45 AM
I'm going to swim upstream today. Other than the predominately grey graphics I like this game. Everything about it is a little different than our other games. It's not so mind bending difficult that you're tearing out your hair trying to figure out what to do next. The music is nice. I would like to give the bard a good pop in the chops for his attitude but the rest of the crew is OK. Now I'm off to see who has ticked off the dragon and making him burn everything in sight.

KCErin
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by KCErin on May 27, 17 9:48 AM
Just goes to show - you need to try a game and make up your own mind. I beta'd this game and loved it. I liked the Norse theme and the Yggdrasil tiles. Maybe because I've been reading Rick Riodin's Magnus Chase books, but this game was fun for me.

hollyodie
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by hollyodie on May 27, 17 9:55 AM
Wow. Got to agree with those complaining about that hint button! I normally will try to play at least 30 minutes in a demo but that button is a deal breaker for me. Really, really annoying.

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on May 27, 17 10:31 AM
Greetings, everyone!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Saga of the Nine Worlds: The Gathering Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Saga of the Nine Worlds: The Gathering Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

ganonsbane
Catfish
Catfish
1,595 Posts

[Post New]by ganonsbane on May 27, 17 10:40 AM
I agree with angelfish106.

I'm not an Eipix fan but I tried his one because I liked the colors in the screenshots. Normally, I wonder why manufacturers even bothered making color monitors. The standard Eipix game has 50 shades from light pink to dark blue, It may as well be Black & White. The color was the only thing about this game that appealed to me. I played 79 minutes of the demo, hoping that it would get better after I gathered my crew. Once gathered the crew just stood there taking up space.

I've already completed the other 2 of this weeks releases: "Darkness and Flame: Missing Memories Collector's Edition" &" Haunted Hotel: Personal Nightmare Collector's Edition". Both of the were great.

I would buy another game at full price, rather than, buy this game as part of a BOGO Sale.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 27, 17 10:43 AM
Hi all! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to others who do a much better job than I. At first, I was a bit disappointed in the slight blur we had in the close up scene, but that seemed to clear up nicely and left us with wonderful graphics. Animation was exceptional. The colors are quite bright and true, but not over powering at all...beautifully done. Game play was excellent and the scenes fit my large screen completely. Voices are great, being age, character and setting appropriate. Very realistic accents. Our character never speaks, but we have written dialog instead. Would have been a nice addition to have our voice heard as well. The music was very nice and moved with whatever was happening at the time, which brings you more into the action of the game. Sound FX are very well done and pretty much throughout the game play. When setting up our game play, it was interesting that we were able to completely turn off the recharge and skip. Haven't seen that in a game before.

HOPs were interactive lists and a lot of story type "find the word." I did not see that you could switch to something else if you did not care for the HOPs. The scenes were clean and clear and set up somewhat differently. They were interesting and fun. Puzzles were simple and again, a little different, but not difficult. Some just took a little time and thought to complete. The hint system is quite helpful, but so far, I do not see that we have a transport feature. Sometimes they show up later in a game. The jump map is rather bland and boring, but useful. Strategy guide is the usual and instructions are clear and easy to follow, if you get lost or confused.

Not much in the way of collectibles, but enough to keep you interested. We have to find 37 tiles of various shapes. They look like pieces of an old map to me, but who knows. The color can easily blend into the background, so watch for them. Unless I missed something, that was all I found. We also have morphing items in 11 HOP scenes. These are easy to forget about and miss.

Finding and rescuing the three companions was very easy, so hopefully, the challenge picks up as we go along. Even at that, I was drawn in by the story line and the very nice flow of the game. I loved the different way the HOPs and puzzles were set up and the new variety of each. They were fun and interesting. I really liked this game, but then again, I like the Viking era, and most definitely am adding it to my collection. I think all levels of players will find this one fun and worth the price of a CE. I do not give 5 stars easily, a game must be exceptional in all areas to get those from me. This one came close for me, but fell a bit short. I gave it a 4.5 because our voice needed to be heard and the collectibles could have been a bit better. Still a very nice game.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

ediegamer
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Saga of the Nine Worlds: The Gathering Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by ediegamer on May 27, 17 9:04 PM
Two minutes into the game and I exited it. And why did they decide to use that awful font? What a horrible game. Very disappointed in this developer.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Saga of the Nine Worlds: The Gathering Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by judy76073 on May 27, 17 11:12 PM
wow - yes I have to agree with many of the comments. Normally I like Eipix games - I did 20 minutes into the demo - could go no further - will not purchase this game. And if this is going to be a new series - I suggest Eipix think twice about it.

Unfortunately, absolutely nothing good to say about this game, so will not say anything. Will just carry on playing older games until Tuesday or Thursday or a week from now (Saturday) and hope there will be a better HOPA game coming our way.

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on May 28, 17 7:16 AM
I enjoyed this game and particularly the stirring music, a nice change of pace. Yes, they could have provided better direction on some of the mini-games but it wasn't that hard to figure out. The artwork was wonderful and appropriate to the theme. And yes, it is different from the same old thing we've been getting. I had no problem customizing the controls to my specifications....goodbye glints and sparkles. I don't care for horror games but I don't need all my games to be pretty either. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the game holds in store.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Saga of the Nine Worlds: The Gathering Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on May 28, 17 7:24 AM
I agree with Pertigal; at least this is something different. I rarely even bother to try HOPAs these days. They are so much alike that even the titles are interchangeable, and completely forgettable.

I like the look of this game. The colors are muted, and appropriate to the northern location. I particularly like watching the ship sail around the map - very nice artwork.

Yes, the mechanics of some of the mini-games are not self-evident, but I have yet to skip one. And I like a challenge, it's why I play games.

Now my only question is what other game to buy in the BOGO sale!

ETA: And now I know - Bonfire Stories. Off to play!

Edited on 05/28/2017 at 8:15:16 AM PST

cheekyoops
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by cheekyoops on May 29, 17 5:20 AM
Seriously EIPIX, Non-skippable puzzles again? I play hidden object games to , you know, look for hidden objects. I skip puzzles 100% of the time. I will not play this game!!

[Post New]by farishawk on May 31, 17 1:23 PM
I have to agree with Angelfish and others who disliked this game. I usually jump on Eipix games because they are complex and absorbing and fun, but this game was painful to play.....too much talk and not enough action.

Go to: