bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Mystery P.I.: The London Caper

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 21, 10 1:21 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery P.I.: The London Caper? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

churly72
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Mystery P.I.: The London Caper

[Post New]by churly72 on Apr 21, 10 2:23 AM
nice game so far, not very difficult, but i hate the clock...

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Apr 21, 10 2:46 AM
Played half an hour, completed 9 scenes, 3 puzzles. If this is similar to previous entries in the Mystery PI series, there will be 3 to 5 hours worth of HOG play in all.

Puzzles are quite easy, expect some increase in difficulty as the game progress.

Graphics are good, no turquoise bananas in an cerulean sky at least so far. Some simple combination puzzles, "put the bit where it belongs" for example. Unfortunately the instruction is not always logical. We are asked to tighten a screw with a drill bit, rather than the plainly visible screwdriver.

Music is exactly as in previous entries in the series; same clip, same repetitiveness. Not annoying exactly but very old by now.

Hints are limited by default, but you can change that in the options, as well as choosing "relaxed" mode. There has always been enough time for me to finish each chapter comfortably without need for many hints.

Over all, very much the same game with different trappings. If you liked the others, you will like this one as well. If not, at least you will know what to expect.
5.0 on my personal scale of 10, mostly because of decent value in length. Not a "must have" in my book.

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Apr 21, 10 2:53 AM
Too bad it's just soooooo boring. They really need to put some pizazz into their games.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Apr 21, 10 4:45 AM
I personally can't stand these Mystery Capers , I'm not even going to demo ,
Boring & uneventful ...see ya in 24 hrs .Not even going to waste my time . ...(yawn ).

Victoria5
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by Victoria5 on Apr 21, 10 4:56 AM
Thank you -- thank you -- thank you. I saw this game quite a while ago on another site and, of course, would not buy it there so I have been waiting for BF to get it and you did so thank you. Sometimes you just want a nice relaxing hidden object game and this it is -- You made my day.

Edited on 04/21/2010 at 4:56:54 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 21, 10 6:44 AM
Victoria5 wrote:Thank you -- thank you -- thank you. I saw this game quite a while ago on another site and, of course, would not buy it there so I have been waiting for BF to get it and you did so thank you. Sometimes you just want a nice relaxing hidden object game and this it is -- You made my day.

Me too. Have been waiting and waiting. Love all the Mystery P.I.'s
Thank you BFG.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Apr 21, 10 7:28 AM
I really LOVE all the "P I " games and they are long ones!

to find handcuf (sp?) for those extra points, ever PI game has these special items to find.
I also, like the puzzles.

Happy Gaming
PEN

MissJack08
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by MissJack08 on Apr 21, 10 7:44 AM
Mystery P.I. games are all the same! Play one, skip the rest! No buy for me.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Apr 21, 10 8:24 AM
At first I hated these Mystery PI games because they have needles 5 feet long, etc. So I never played or bought any of them.

But lately for some reason, I've started enjoying them. For plain, ordinary HOGs they are great. The graphics are clear and large (sometimes too large, lol..see above). Yea, it's repetitive, same items listed again and again...but when that starts to bug me, I stop playing. When I go back to it, I'm ok with it again.

What I like about these simple games is just that--simplicity. No moving water! No animations! No complicated puzzles! No brain strain, and no nausea (which I get very easily from animation in games).

So true that if you've played one you've played them all, other than the background scenes/locations. But I'm glad they keep making new ones.

It's interesting how one's taste in games can change back and forth over time. Something you perhaps hated in the past, you might be surprised to find you now like. Makes for more variety which is good.

poopysue
Shark
Shark
10,858 Posts

[Post New]by poopysue on Apr 21, 10 8:48 AM
These games are perfect for my Mom. She loves em' because they are'nt so complicated! Made her morning when I told her I got it for her!

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Apr 21, 10 9:10 AM
This is another GREAT Mystery P.I. game! And this one does throw in a few important differences from the past ones. The first is that you can FINALLY choose a relaxed mode! Another is that you can choose whether to have limited or unlimited hints. These choices are available in the Option menu.

Something else that is a little different is that more of the items listed are listed as clues rather than the direct names of the objects. I really like the play on words clues in these games and like it even more now that more are included.

Another difference is that there is usually at least one 2-step (so far anyway) objective in the item list. In past games, there has sometimes been one of these clues, but it only required a single step whereas in this game, they require at least 2 steps so far.

I've done 2 mini-games so far, and one of those was different than what I remember seeing in the older games in this series which is a big plus.

The graphics are as usual VERY clear and crisp, and some of the objects are quite well hidden. Even though these games would definitely be considered "junkpile" HOGs, they don't FEEL that way to me at least because many of the items are so cleverly hidden.

There is something about these games that draws me in despite the fact that they are pretty much straight HOGs. They have a quality I can't quite define that sets them apart from a lot of other "junkpile" HOGs out there. It might be because they remind me a lot of the 1st 2 MCF games at times.

This will probably be a buy for me at some point (after I get caught up on some other IHOGs) to play when I just want to relax a bit.

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on Apr 21, 10 9:18 AM
Love this game! It isn't for everyone-HOG players fall into different categories. This is a straight forward-relatively easy game. I find this so relaxing & I have never had a technical difficulty with this quality series. And I admit I like to play the afterward "unlocked" mode of finding all the objects. It's a long game, too. I bought it at 19.99 some time ago-glad to see that it's at BFG for 6.99.

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Apr 21, 10 9:20 AM
Yup, y'all are right. Just another Mystery P.I. HOG. I have several of them, and this one is so much like the older ones, that after 10 min. into the game I just faded out. It does have a little bit of newness....."spell EXIT", "place manhole cover", but not enough novelty for me to continue. I guess it must be really hard to find new ideas and twists to satisfy all of us "hard core gamers" LOL. Anyway, inspite of the nice graphics, this game just seems like another pile of junk and improbable objects hanging in impossible places.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Apr 21, 10 9:37 AM
I, too, must echo vonniefaye's opinion. Nicely done game but no buy for me.

glocal
Flounder
Flounder
2,408 Posts

[Post New]by glocal on Apr 21, 10 9:50 AM
I like this game. It is as said above by dianaluna a straight forward HOG. For those times when "deep thinking" isn't necessary. I always play these Mystery PI games by finding, for ex. the key and the crown then find all else needed, just to make it a bit "harder" .It is a little interactive, may be too easy for some, and I like the mini games, some remind me of the Rush Hour games where you move cars/trucks to get out.

I knew it was a buy for me. A done deal Sale$.

Not for lovers of FROG'S OR IHOG'S

crabbycat
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by crabbycat on Apr 21, 10 10:03 AM
I tried this game on another site and have been waiting for BF to get it. Thanks! I love these PI games. Yeah, they are repetitive, but I get tired of wandering around on some of the IHOGs and never getting anywhere. It's just my opinion. I like to replay these and see how fast I can find things....or just go at my own pace, when I have had a tough day at work. Thanks, Fishie

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 21, 10 10:26 AM
This game is very similar to the previous Mystery P.I. games and I have bought all of them (expect the last one). So no buy for me today. But I think many other fishies will enjoy it (especially if you don`t played the previous game!).

susjs
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by susjs on Apr 21, 10 11:37 AM
I like these games for a couple of reasons...

First, they're challenging enough to keep me interested. Not too hard - good for casual game play.

Second, you can actually find the objects. The graphic images are excellent! Thank you!

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Apr 21, 10 11:42 AM
I have all previous games in the series. I enjoyed the trial and I'm off to buy it now. They are wonderfully long and great inbetweener's when my mind and my eyes need a break! No need for walkthrough, just relaxation. Although timers were never a problem for me in this series, it sure is nice developers gave options for "relaxed mode" and unlimited hints.
I just hope that future MPI games will have actual music that varies with each locale around which the game is built. It's too bad they haven't done this already because that would enhance the series for many.
Now to find one more game to fill this month's card.

Edited on 04/21/2010 at 12:47:59 PM PST

Go to: