bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Virtual Villagers: The Tree of Life

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 21, 10 1:23 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Virtual Villagers: The Tree of Life? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

REDFIRER
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Virtual Villagers: The Tree of Life

[Post New]by REDFIRER on Apr 21, 10 7:01 AM
it is about time you had a new one i have all the virtual game and i just love the fun i have

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Apr 21, 10 7:45 AM
I bought this at another site about a month ago. I found that I had less patience this time around and lost interest quicker. The puzzles were not as interesting to me as the previous ones. The graphics, of course, are great. I liked that you could pick which villagers you wanted to start the game with (really think that through and remember expecting mothers can't work), I found it was always good to get a person who "likes to run", Otherwise, the slow walking drives me bonkers. I had to use the walkthrough more than usual to figure out what to do with some of the puzzles.

And, yes, I ran the clock forward and killed them a few times, lol. Have fun and happy Wednesday.

gailsgame
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by gailsgame on Apr 21, 10 8:33 AM
dewieee wrote:I bought this at another site about a month ago. I found that I had less patience this time around and lost interest quicker. The puzzles were not as interesting to me as the previous ones. The graphics, of course, are great. I liked that you could pick which villagers you wanted to start the game with (really think that through and remember expecting mothers can't work), I found it was always good to get a person who "likes to run", Otherwise, the slow walking drives me bonkers. I had to use the walkthrough more than usual to figure out what to do with some of the puzzles.

And, yes, I ran the clock forward and killed them a few times, lol. Have fun and happy Wednesday.

Couldn't agree more. I didn't buy this version but I have all the previous ones. Although I did like the way you could pick the villagers, and the new layout was really pretty, I nearly fell asleep watching the pace they walk and they wouldn't stay on task. Drove me bonkers too. Plus it looked just like the other version with gameplay, and I lost interest in the others very quickly after the puzzles were solved, so I'm taking a VV miss this time around. I hope VV5 is better!

Edited on 04/21/2010 at 8:35:31 AM PST

rebacin
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by rebacin on Apr 21, 10 8:39 AM
I bought this from another site also, and I found this one to be the easiest and not as challenging. I still enjoyed it- I love all the Virtual Villager Games! So if you are a VV fan- I think it is worth the money.

Blue_River
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by Blue_River on Apr 21, 10 9:01 AM
No complaints from me. I'm perfectly okay with the puzzles being less challenging. I play the Virtual Villagers series for the pure fun of it. In some of the others although I love them all; I found some of the puzzles a little frustrating, it just took far too long to get to the point where you could solve them and I was constantly worried that when I turned on my game the next day that I would have lost many of them because there wasn't enough food. I love the fact that they put so many more trophies to get in this game. It's like the trophy list they gave us in Virtual Families. So after you finish all the puzzles you can continue playing for your trophies and watch your tribe and peeps grow with no worries of survival. I love the fact that you can choose which people to start out with to. You have more say so on the type of tribe you will have. Yeah, No complaints from me at all. I think Virtual Villagers 4 is brilliant just the way it is.

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Apr 21, 10 12:54 PM
The VV games are wearing thin with me, too. Kids scamper at a pretty good clip but adults slog along. All the VV games seem alike now, with a minor variation here and there. Takes forever to get research points. Having enough food can become a major problem. Couldn't take it any more. Stopped playing the last one just a little ways in and was so sorry I used a credit. It's a shame because I remember how much I loved the first VV. What a hoot! For those that still love them, enjoy. You've waiting quite a while for this one so have a ball!. I miss enjoying the VV games. Maybe the developer could hire some new blood and take a fresh look at the game. It needs a new coat of paint.

preserved
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by preserved on Apr 21, 10 1:44 PM
So far I enjoy these games and The Tree Of Life lives up to what I expected. They display new costumes which are beautiful and new hair styles etc. The huts are new and the colors are great for everything. The people that develop Virtual Villager games did a bang up job on this one. Picking out my tribe was an added real treat and getting 100 tech points on items that have been a repeat that the children find helps to add up faster it seems. There are always new ideas that they come up with but to change everything would be a disappointment to me. It's like old home week to play this game with the new additions I mentioned above. I have no complaints at all and always buy my games at BF because of getting the free one after filling the Monthly Punch Card.

I saw this one was coming a month ago but I waited for BF to get for me. Thanks BF!

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Apr 21, 10 2:11 PM
ITS HERE - ITS HERE - ITS HERE!! LOL I saw & played this game on another site about a month ago but decided to be loyal to BFG and wait til they had it!! THANK YOU BFG! I LOVE IT!! I also own all of the VV games and thought this one was just as challenging (mayhap's some of you have just gotten better at these games in the past 4 or 5 years??) as all the others. I love being able to choose the tribe (YES PAY ATTENTION don't pick lazy or slow workers Think about some of the "older" children so you can get the goodies too!) Oh happy day the VV's are back!! 50

[Post New]by PICKLEFIEND12 on Apr 21, 10 2:35 PM
Anyone else find it irritating that you have to keep clearing the stream?? Seems like a lot of work not being done because they have to clear the debris..

Blue_River
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by Blue_River on Apr 21, 10 5:48 PM
Actually no, having to clear the stream doesn't bother me . I made sure I had 2 builders available so one works on the huts and the other goes up occasionly to clear the 2 or 3 percent of build up that has gathered I have never seen it go higer than 3 percent once they clean it out completely the first time. I've been watching how they work it only takes them like a minute to clean the latest debris. I'm sure the stream must be a 2 or 3 part puzzle. If you noticed they dug two trenches one that goes down to the pit there by the research area where they will eventually make stews, and the other to the right of the stream by the wind flutes. There is also a very large trench that runs on the lower level of the island. That one was there when I started the game. So I'm thinking that once we get the right level in construction They will do something with those and they won't have to keep clearing the debris.

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Apr 21, 10 10:24 PM
Yippee!! I've been waiting for this to get to BFG ever since I saw it on Last Day of Work's site.

I just finished playing the demo.but will be buying this one for sure. Being able to choose the starting tribe is great. I ran through a bit of the tutorial and then went back and chose my kind of tribe. I chose an older child (13) and then he ate some bark from the Tree of Life and got experience in farming. So he's ready to take over for one of the females as soon as he's old enough to work and she can have a baby. Gotta keep the tribe growing. LOL

The puzzles are different from the last games and I'm okay with getting quite a few things dropping onto the ground at a time. I had my child running all over gathering things up while the adults slugged their way back and forth to the fruit bushes and built a hut and researched. LOL I didn't think to look for someone who likes to run. Great suggestion... thanks! I'm looking forward to starting over with a new tribe as soon as I can buy the game. "Patience, Grasshopper. Patience."

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Apr 22, 10 12:03 AM
PICKLEFIEND12 wrote:Anyone else find it irritating that you have to keep clearing the stream?? Seems like a lot of work not being done because they have to clear the debris..

Welcome to the pond and yes I do. What is the point? What does it add to the game?

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Apr 22, 10 12:03 AM
PICKLEFIEND12 wrote:Anyone else find it irritating that you have to keep clearing the stream?? Seems like a lot of work not being done because they have to clear the debris..

Welcome to the pond and yes I do. What is the point? What does it add to the game?

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Apr 22, 10 12:59 AM
Love it, Love it, Love it. Played several previous VV’s several years ago. One, do not remember which one, had problems and I lost interest. Sooooo happy to have a new one to play. I spent the whole afternoon and evening and late into the nite playing.

I also want to thank annatar 4 posting some stew recipes.

I happily give Virtual Village a Seattle several thumps up.

Edited on 04/22/2010 at 2:03:10 PM PST

Blue_River
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by Blue_River on Apr 22, 10 7:46 AM
Having to contnue cln the stream occasionally is just another way for you tribe to increase their building skill. I think it was a good idea.

Topper_
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by Topper_ on Apr 22, 10 8:14 AM
Lauralei wrote:The VV games are wearing thin with me, too. Kids scamper at a pretty good clip but adults slog along. All the VV games seem alike now, with a minor variation here and there. Takes forever to get research points. Having enough food can become a major problem. Couldn't take it any more. Stopped playing the last one just a little ways in and was so sorry I used a credit. It's a shame because I remember how much I loved the first VV. What a hoot! For those that still love them, enjoy. You've waiting quite a while for this one so have a ball!. I miss enjoying the VV games. Maybe the developer could hire some new blood and take a fresh look at the game. It needs a new coat of paint.

I agree - it's very same-ish and I do think they could come up with some more imaginative tweaks..... it would be great to find an ancient underground tunnel system for example that connects all the areas of the island - or just some way of extending the activity area to give wider playability like 'My Tribe'. It's all got a bit one-dimensional...... having said that I am an addict and will almost certainly buy the full version at some point as I can't bear not knowing what happens!

Edited on 04/22/2010 at 8:17:43 AM PST

[Post New]by Pattylynn246 on Apr 22, 10 8:43 AM
I love the VV games and I like this one too, even though I use the walk throughs a lot. They are the cutest little creatures and do get a bit stubborn at times.

popcorn_20000
Marlin
Marlin
8,219 Posts

[Post New]by popcorn_20000 on Apr 22, 10 8:02 PM
I am enjoying VV "Tree of Life"... I have played all of them and yes this one is pretty much the same... isn't that the idea in a series?? I dont have problem with it been similar as thats why I like them.
I do tend to think the timer is very slow.... that it can become little boring that they work at such a slow pace but otherwise I'm happy with the game.

I haven't been playing long and so far have not come across any problems or glitches except the my mouse goes little "werid" every now and then (slows down & goes "sticky".)....

stup57
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by stup57 on Apr 23, 10 7:21 PM
I've been playing for a month ... I was impatient for that wonderfully slow pace of the island. The developers topped themselves with this one.
Depending on which villagers you start with it can be quite challenging. Can you imagine four nursing moms and one kid for picking mushrooms?
This will be another game that I could play and play and play ...

Go to: