susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

Wireless mouse

[Post New]by susielee on Jun 6, 17 10:41 AM
I use a wireless mouse and sometimes I have to click on a HOS item 2/3 times before it connects. Does anyone else have this problem? If I used a regular mouse would it not do this? I think it affecks my score.....but then.....maybe this is just me and I'm too slow!

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

Re:Wireless mouse

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Jun 6, 17 10:52 AM
There's a sweet spot when collecting HOS items. I do use a wireless mouse and have the same problem. Mainly because my hands are always sore or swollen so it's hard for me to always hit the right spot quickly.

I do have a non-wireless mouse I guess I could try.

Another issue I've had is that my table has worn down from moving the mouse over it a lot. That causes the laser light to bounce around a bit. I just went to the hardware store a couple days ago and picked up a small shelf board with a smooth non-reflective surface. That has improved my problem quite a bit.

Edited to add:
If you have pets you may need to check the bottom of the mouse and make sure no dust or pet hair is in the area of the laser light. That will surely cause problems. I have a small paint brush and wipe around it regularly to remove any obstructions. Even the smallest bit of dust can cause issues.

Edited on 06/06/2017 at 10:55:27 AM PST

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by susielee on Jun 6, 17 11:02 AM
Thank you silver. I hadn't considered the problem of missing the laser light. I do have lots of papers scattered around my desk. I make lots of notes when I'm working on my ancestry.com. I'll try to straighten up my desk!

ellenkcl
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ellenkcl on Jun 6, 17 11:35 AM
I also had that problem with a wireless. I went back to regular mouse and have not had a problem since. I also bought a computer with touch screen. Since I will be 82 in August I don't see too well anymore (even with glasses) I also use a stylist a lot. It is very forgiving...
Ellen

ellenkcl
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ellenkcl on Jun 6, 17 11:39 AM
I tried a wireless but had the same problem as you are having. I went back to the regular mouse and have not had any problems since. I also bought a computer with touch screen so I also use a stylist quite a bit. If one of the HOS is one I usually have problems finding stuff I just use the stylist and whatever it sweeps over it will pick up. It does effect the score somewhat but I will never be at top so I don't worry about that. Ahh, the things we have to do when we reach the 80's...

Ellen

Sorry for double entry. See what happens when you age gracefully....

Edited on 06/06/2017 at 11:40:35 AM PST

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Jun 6, 17 12:27 PM
I had a problem with my wireless mouse too, but thought it was from the shiny surface of the desk. I haven't gotten around to buying a mouse pad yet, so I just put several sheets of blank white paper under the mouse, and now it works fine. I think the shiny surface interferes with the laser light somehow.

I also have a touch screen but prefer to use the mouse. I find I have to hit an item several times on the screen before it will pick up. Plus, my big ole arm gets in the way and I can't see where I'm going. LOL

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by susielee on Jun 6, 17 2:08 PM
LOL......thanks to everyone for responding! Maybe when we reach our 80's we just HOPE it's the mouse! I'm 84!

jEMSW
Minnow
Minnow
294 Posts

[Post New]by jEMSW on Jun 6, 17 2:13 PM
Thank goodness I thought I must have been doing something wrong.

Sometimes, I have no problem & everything works fine. However, at other times, I find myself clicking on a HOS item multiple but nothing happens.
Sometimes if have to click on another item, & then come back to the previous item, & then there times that the only thing that works is closing & then re-opening the HOS.

- Changed mouse settings - no luck.
- Figured I'd worn out my mouse & bought another one, again no improvement.
- I always use Rechargeable batteries, so I switched to the regular kind - no help.
- Cleaned the bottom of my mouse.
- Gave my mouse pad a good scrubbing - can't believe how dirty those things get!!

About a week I thought I probably needed to get a new computer - this one is only 3 years old - but if I can't play my games, it isn't much use.

I did have several corded mice but just donated them to Goodwill, now wish I had kept one to see if it made a difference.

Ahh well, at least I can still play!

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by susielee on Jun 6, 17 2:39 PM
This is great hearing that so many other people have the same problem! I've even emptied my cache file several times thinking there was so much in there it was just slowing my computer down.......didn't help! My computer is a desktop. I have a laptop too, but I've never put MC on it. Have thought about starting a new identity on it....but then I think about how far I would have to go to get to level 76. I've been playing since the beginning and would hate to go through all those levels again. So, I'll just be "Pollyana" and be glad to just keep on double clicking!

sbaker2318
Manatee
Manatee
4,187 Posts

[Post New]by sbaker2318 on Jun 6, 17 5:13 PM
ellenkcl wrote:

Sorry for double entry. See what happens when you age gracefully....

Not me..........I am going down KICKING and SCREAMING!!

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Jun 6, 17 6:21 PM
I used to have the energy for "kicking and screaming", but these days I'm afraid it's more like "stumbling and whimpering."

ellenkcl
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ellenkcl on Jun 6, 17 8:42 PM
Hi SBaker, The reason I don't go down kicking and screaming is because I spill too much wine that way... The red wine stains the carpet.... I move the furniture around to hid it but it is becoming difficult... see you in the castle...

Ellen

Shawkn
Clownfish
Clownfish
754 Posts

[Post New]by Shawkn on Jun 6, 17 11:06 PM
I make it a habit to clean/dust the top of my desk and also the bottom of my wireless mouse before I play. It does help. Also, my mouse charges from my PC so if game play gets iffy, I plug it in as if I am charging it and it works better. My PC sits on top of my desk and I have a really long charging cord so for me that works.

susiewastaken
Salmon
Salmon
2,847 Posts

[Post New]by susiewastaken on Jun 7, 17 8:15 PM
I got a new mouse in April....
Microsoft Sculpt Mobile Mouse (43U-00001)

Best 15 bucks spent in a long time.
One of its features is that it works on any surface...no mousepad needed.

Go to: