Love_rnr
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

The art of gifting friends

[Post New]by Love_rnr on Jun 8, 17 6:51 PM
I only started to have friends during the last Spring event and was able to get several friends during this time to utilize their spring rooms. Now that the event is over, I see who is not interested in maintaining the friendship so I have reluctantly removed them so I don't keep gifting them and not getting the returned favor. I routinely check the iOS friend list to add those who are interested in gifting as I am. My question is how to adequately send gifts to your multiple friends since there is such a limitation on how many you can send. What is the strategy so they don't think I'm neglecting them. Does this even make sense!

~Paula

Re:The art of gifting friends

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Jun 8, 17 7:36 PM
Hi Paula, welcome to MC and to the forum!

You hit the nail right on the head when you said "the art of gifting friends." It is indeed an art.

When this game first started, we only were able to gift 5 friends a day, and at that time, had pages of friends. So it took a week or more to do a full round.

Now that we can gift 15 a day, it's a little easier. It takes time, but you get a feel for what's right. Some players gift alphabetically regardless of getting gifts and some gift in return for a gift. Then there's always exceptions. Like when friends are requesting a special item for something they're working on.

It's a very fluid process. I have a spreadsheet and keep track of gifts. I usually gift alphabetically, but return gifts as soon as I can. It's very rare that I make all three gifting slots, usually can only manage two.

Give yourself some time and you'll develop your own feel for what's right for you. But remember...it should be fun! Don't stress, just enjoy!

Sharp_Eye574363
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,845 Posts

[Post New]by Sharp_Eye574363 on Jun 8, 17 7:57 PM
Hi Paula--Welcome! I, too, have struggled with the art of gifting. I have about 140 friends and it does take over a week to gift everyone one full round. Fortunately, I've been blessed with good friends that know I gift by list and have hung in there with me. I have noticed a lot of folks gift by list alphabetically, who have a lot of friends, but my list has always been in the order they became my friends. This helps me remember who has been with me from the beginning. Since I've always gifted in this order, I would find to hard to change it now. Whenever some friends are on a break or something, that's where I can return extra gifts to friends that gift me more often than my normal routine allows me to do in return, and I hope, and think, it somehow balances out. That's just what works for me.

As Whitebutterfly so aptly put it, it should be fun! Enjoy stormin' the castle!

Love_rnr
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by Love_rnr on Jun 8, 17 8:00 PM
Thanks so much for the advice!! I try to focus on my friends that are at a lower level than me and to gift them what I can, but don't want to neglect my other friends that have been so giving and helped me to advance. I will make spreadsheet as you suggested to help keep track. :-)

Edited on 06/08/2017 at 8:05:44 PM PST

lisarae_au
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by lisarae_au on Jun 8, 17 10:58 PM
I'm pretty much exploring the forums for the first time -at least in a long time, and this is very helpful - especially as when I stopped playing you could only gift 5 people a day and I only found out today that it is 15 (in 3 lots of 5). A spreadsheet is a brilliant idea and I am learning a lot today about all sorts of stuff that might make the game a little more fun. Just wanted to say.

Edit: Also can anyone give me an idea HOW to create a spreadsheet - I can't figure out how to make it work....

Edited on 06/08/2017 at 11:39:03 PM PST

[Post New]by Susanna502 on Jun 9, 17 12:12 AM
I'm not as advanced as many others, but you should review different methods to see what works for you. I have 2 lists. One is my "regular" friends, the other is friends I added for the Spring Event. Next to each name I include the ID # and level #. When I receive a gift I mark R next to that friend's name, S = send.

1. I respond to "regular" friends I have received a gift from, but not reciprocated.
2. I respond to event friends I have received a gift from, but not reciprocated.
3. If I still have any gifts to send I check regular friends I haven't gotten a gift from in a while.
4. Finally I send to any other event friends.

I have started putting a mark at the start of each day. That way I know how long it has been since I have received or sent for a particular friend. Lately a lot of people have deleted their wish lists for various reasons so I don't have any problem getting steps 1 and 2 done during a day. If I manage 15 gifts in a day I can usually do step 3 and sometimes step 4. If I don't get any gifts from someone in a long time I move their name to the event friend list. I don't delete because I may need them for the next event. Sometimes people are away from the game for a while, but there is a chance they will return.

Gen_1236
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Gen_1236 on Jun 9, 17 6:06 AM

Yesterday I replaced my 'Friends List'. It just got so worn out with all the liquid paper. Plus the A-K side got torn.

My new list has about 55 friends. I have included some newbies. Hi Kelly!

I prefer the tactile list as it shows me that I care. Plus I can't be bothered switching between windows while playing.

The important thing is I care.

My new list no longer counts the number of reciprocated gifts. I just have a SINGLE tick in a column that says - 'Yep, they've sent me stuff - Good people'.

I change my wishlist daily. My friends know this. I KNOW there are items my friends have little of, simply by looking at my day's haul. As I know what they have plenty of for the same reason.

So my advice? Should you choose to accept it...

Please CHANGE your wishlist frequently!

Please don't have ONLY pet food, or ONLY airship items. Or ONLY inventory.

And please don't permanently fill two of your limited gift slots with TWO high value eggs. Everyone needs coin! By all means, declare an emergency fundraiser that requires $5000 eggs - but they can't be an everlasting item on your wishlist.

We're not all in the Millionaire's Club. But we're all happy to help.

Just help us help you!

I hate skipping over a friend. But sometimes I just have no choice.

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Jun 9, 17 6:26 AM
I have a very simple method - 1st in, 1st out.

I have a list on my calendar app. I log every gift I receive & put those friends on the end of the list. The first 5 on the list I send gifts to. So every day, 15 names come off the beginning of the list (gifts sent) & however many gifts I received that day get added to the end of the list. At the start of the new day, I just copy the list over to the next day.
This way, a friend who sends gifts every day will get added to the list every day & receive gifts back from me (almost) every day, & someone who only gifts occasionally will get a gift occasionally.

Obviously there are exceptions - no wishlist, on break, etc. I also give extra priority to special needs - like getting 30 Irises, or desperate for white stamps, etc. But I always go back to the list, & as much as possible, return gifts in the order received.
Much simpler than making a spreadsheet.

Theorem
Flounder
Flounder
2,290 Posts

[Post New]by Theorem on Jun 9, 17 7:05 AM
I am struggling to gift back and when I am getting too behind, I put down my wishlist, add "catching up" behind my name and ... catch up (and take a bit of advance if I can)! I usually try not to get too behind as then I feel too stressed about it (I know ... it's only a game ... ). I am in catchup-mode about once every two weeks, once a week during winter time (GMT is not always my friend), sometimes more, it all depends on my job, and my friends of course!

I also have an excel spreadsheet, very simple, a column for friend's name, a column for day received, a column with the name of the item received, a column for gift sent back and a last one for date sent back in case it is not the same as the gift received. Red font for the ones I need to reciprocate just to make it more readable, and friends who have put down their list when I was ready to send a gift back go at the very bottom so that I don't forget to check regularly if they have a new list.

So it would look like
xxx - 07.06.17 - UniqueStamp -UniqueStamp - 08.06.17
yyy - 07.06.17 - SimpleFood -
zzz - 08.06.17 - PlainStamp - MaskOfVirtue

Well, you get the idea!

And I use the same list for the gifts I send in advance, the empty column being the 3rd one until I receive something back.

Of course, this goes a bit all over the place during special events but then, well, catchup-mode!!

Good luck with gifting! And yes, this is only a game!

Myhashen
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by Myhashen on Jun 9, 17 7:48 AM
I keep my list on my iphone. I play on my pc, and I note the date, the friend and the gifts I've received in alphabetical order. I gift to them as soon as I can. I hardly ever have less than the 15 gifts per day to return, but fairly often have more than 15 to re-gift. In that case, I do a "for yesterday" list and gift to those people as soon as I can gift anything. I keep a couple of weeks record, just in case I end up being able to gift an extra. If so, I look back to see who I need to send to this time. I look at the forum often to see if someone needs something in particular. For instance, a posting the other day said that the person needs help with fall pets. I sent them a friend invitation and gifted them as soon as I got the friend on my list. I erase my older entries after a couple of weeks. This method enables me to keep on the friend/social page while making a list without having to swap back and forth on the computer.

I agree with a previous post (by Gen?) that one should have a wish list that includes at least one cheap item and/or maybe one or two airship items. I don't think anyone should post a list with all expensive or hard to get items like $5000 eggs, crafted items, and so forth. It's quite all right, in my opinion, to have one expensive item, and I have gifted an expensive item once in a while if I have more than 2 of the item. The most expensive thing on my list is a unique stamp, but I have several friends that we do the "stamp swap" thing.

I have a friend whose list for the past few days has had 2 ($5000) eggs, an expensive crafted item, and an expensive, hard to get HOS item. The friend sends me one of the 2 cheapest items on my list. Am I being petty to think this friend is being unreasonable? What would you do about it, if anything, if you were me? I am interested in your opinions. I know this is just a game, too, and I'm not in a big snit over this, but just wondered what others think.

ShaSha

gtminer
Clownfish
Clownfish
812 Posts

[Post New]by gtminer on Jun 9, 17 8:02 AM
I just keep a notebook of who gifts, and I return a gift in the order I received them. I am doing unique stamp swaps for friends who still need the achievement, so I keep track of who gifts one to me to make sure they get one in return, otherwise I don't keep track of what is gifted to me.

I do keep track of friends who have gifted me, but I am unable to gift them back, either because I don't have what they want (such as crafted items or eggs), or I am unable to gift because I need what they want. Eventually their needs or mine will change, and I will gift them then. If they have DQ items on their list, I need those, so I don't gift, but as soon as I run out, I can gift them using gold.

sometimes people gift, but don't have a wish list themselves, so I make a note, and gift them as soon as their list opens up.

Edited on 06/09/2017 at 8:07:40 AM PST

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Jun 9, 17 8:43 AM
I have a friend whose list for the past few days has had 2 ($5000) eggs, an expensive crafted item, and an expensive, hard to get HOS item. The friend sends me one of the 2 cheapest items on my list. Am I being petty to think this friend is being unreasonable? What would you do about it, if anything, if you were me?

I had the same kind of friend, & last week I finally got fed up & deleted her.
I enjoy helping others, but not being used.

lizziefin
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by lizziefin on Jun 9, 17 9:14 AM
I am lazy, I only gave 15 friends ( plus John) and usually gift them each day. Simples!

AuntieRoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,393 Posts

[Post New]by AuntieRoo on Jun 9, 17 9:31 AM
Personally I see it that a friend who always has expensive eggs etc on their wish list I will probably help out once or twice,especially if they are on one of the lower levels.After that they are on their own to play the game as I did pre puzzles.I would imagine that they will have noticed that they are not receiving many gifts & eventually change their wish list.
The one exception is a dear friend,I asked her to put an expensive egg on her list & if I win one on the puzzles I send it.

ellenkcl
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ellenkcl on Jun 9, 17 11:36 AM
I have a very old computer that I don't play on anymore. I am using that one to help me with items I need. I have put "send NO gifts" after my name because I am swapping the expensive items from old computer to new one. I am still getting gifts from people when I do not expect one. What do I say so people won't send gifts but I need to put items on my wish list so I can friend myself from a previous computer. I have one computer at level 76 and another at level 40. The old computer is only up to level 26 but use that one to swap items from level 76 to the level 40 one. All have "send no gifts' because there are eggs or high priced items on the wish list. How do I keep friends from sending me gifts anyway..?

Ellen....

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Jun 9, 17 11:59 AM
ellenkcl wrote:I have a very old computer that I don't play on anymore. I am using that one to help me with items I need. I have put "send NO gifts" after my name because I am swapping the expensive items from old computer to new one. I am still getting gifts from people when I do not expect one. What do I say so people won't send gifts but I need to put items on my wish list so I can friend myself from a previous computer. I have one computer at level 76 and another at level 40. The old computer is only up to level 26 but use that one to swap items from level 76 to the level 40 one. All have "send no gifts' because there are eggs or high priced items on the wish list. How do I keep friends from sending me gifts anyway..?

Ellen....

Put 1 item on the list at a time. Change your name to Trade In Progress. Make the trade and then immediately remove expensive item from wish list. Then change name back to what it was and either leave list blank (because you don't want any gifts from your friends) or put 'reasonable' (whatever that means) items on list so friends can gift you.

Sharp_Eye574363
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,845 Posts

[Post New]by Sharp_Eye574363 on Jun 9, 17 12:01 PM
Maybe try putting (if it will fit) "no gifts--feeder" or something similar on your cards. Perhaps the word feeder will discourage gifting? Just a thought.

ellenkcl
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ellenkcl on Jun 9, 17 12:08 PM
Thanks for ideas. I will certainly use one and see what happens. I just don't want friends to gift when I don't need them at this time. LOve the forum.

Ellen

[Post New]by Elsaemerald on Jun 9, 17 12:30 PM
Hi Paula

Like many others I have found the process of gifting to be an organic and evolving one.
Initially I had no notion of keeping track and just sent gifts more or less randomly. I didn't really keep track of gifts received figuring that friends would just give what they could.
As my friends list grew I realized that wasn't working the best for me as I certainly couldn't keep track of which friends I had sent gifts to the day before let alone a week before.
I now have a teeny notebook which I scribble in both the name of gift recipients as well as gift senders. I don't worry too much about what the friend sent other than having kind of a peripheral view when I send something major like a crafted item -- not that I expect a return at the same level but if this happens repeatedly I would probably gift the friend less often (unless they are at a low level of course).
I have around 90 friends on my Elsa game. Some I gift nearly every day (and they gift back). Outside of this core group my gifting usually involves sending gifts to anyone who has sent me one, then sending gifts to a friend I haven't sent one to very recently -- or to those at a lower level.
When a seasonal event is on my focus changes to giving priority to friends who need an event related item.

I recently started a second game on iPhone as Suzysapphire (and you are one of my friends-- yippee) but so far have only 4 friends so it's dead easy -- everyone gets a gift. I may add a handful mor friends to that game but will keep the number low enough so that I can gift everyone everyday.

So, like others have said, there is no right way to gift. Whatever feels good for you is what you should choose -- and that may well involve trying out different styles until you find one that fits for you.

Have fun
Elsa aka Suzy

Love_rnr
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by Love_rnr on Jun 9, 17 12:53 PM
Such great advice, thanks very much. I have @ 30 friends, so I'm thinking that I will keep to this amount to make it easier. I can't believe I waited so long to have friends, it adds another interesting layer to the game and I like looking at their rooms to see what they have and to see the pets I don't have yet. Still can't imagine spending 20,000 coins on furniture tho...

Hope (just) John isn't seeing this, but do you send him gifts too? Since I've been at a higher level, I haven't gotten anything from him in a while.

Note to Suzy - how are you doing on your iPhone game? I'm trying a different tactic this time and doing several rounds of hos for a few days, then when I start the cc quests, they go pretty quickly since I have more inventory available. I still think I'm a bit crazy for doing it on the phone, lol

Go to: