Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Memories of Shadowfield Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jun 22, 17 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 06/22/2017 at 6:39:10 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Memories of Shadowfield Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jun 22, 17 6:39 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Trackers: Memories of Shadowfield Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Trackers: Memories of Shadowfield Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Memories of Shadowfield Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by nanafraser on Jun 22, 17 7:26 AM
I kinda like game! Seems to start off w/ a different style then other Mystery Trackers games! & I have em all! I wish I enjoyed mini games it would make game last longer! But I'm a lazy fish! I am more into the fairy tale type of game, but this mystery game does keep my interest up! & Elf is such a cutie pie! & the frogs kinda cute too! So I'm off to solve another crime!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 22, 17 11:34 AM
Hello friends! As always, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to others. Is this really #13 in this series? Naturally, I have all the others and after beta testing this one in March, I was looking forward to it's release. Graphics are exceptionally well done, clear and with nice colors, even though some areas are a little dark. Game play was very good, with no problems during the demo. Music was nice and soothing now and then, but still had a bit of a sinister sound to it, so you weren't quite sure what was about to happen. Our little helper, Elf, is back to get into the small or difficult areas we can't quite get to easily. He is quiet, except when used and then he will bark. He is very helpful and isn't really used much. Voices are very well done, with emotion, fear, etc., but still not a lot of character interaction. You can click through dialog if you read faster than they speak. Animation is extremely well done, and includes appropriate and realistic facial movements. Sound FX are very nice and very realistic.

HOPs are well done, with straight and interactive lists, interactive silhouettes and placing items in the scene. I didn't get bored with the same old thing all the time during a game. Didn't see that we could switch to something else if we didn't like the HOPs. Items are not difficult to find and the scenes are pretty clean and clear. Puzzles were not difficult either. There was some challenge to the puzzles, but mostly in the amount of time you spent on it. Hint system is very helpful and does transport you to longer locations. This is a nice feature in a game that sends you back long distances for items or objectives, and you do quite a lot of back tracking in this one. For some reason, this dev just doesn't want to clean up the map. It's just too generic and boring, but it is a jump map and areas of interest are clearly marked. Actually, you really don't need it because you have the transport feature. The strategy guide clearly shows you where all of the collectibles are, in case you just can't find one, and you know it's there.

I liked the variation of collectibles in this one, especially since you have to find more than one type. We need to find morphing objects, which aren't too difficult to find, but you do have to watch for them. We also have to find 40 cards that open a picture or scene on a screen. Not sure what it is for, but I'm sure we will find out. It is very easy to overlook these cards, as they are often in places that are a little dark and blend quite well. A hint...there is often more than one in a scene, but not always. Ah, challenge! There are also 12 zodiac signs to find. These are not easy either. They aren't large, or too small, but some are odd shapes and seem to remind me of a pile of cement. I know, weird.

This game is not all that challenging, but the story was different and I was drawn into it from the beginning. You are constantly on the move. I knew there was something fishy about that doctor. Would I drink something only because the doctor told me to? Not on your life! I really like this game, and I think it will appeal to all levels of players. Yes, I have the need to see how it plays out, so I am definitely adding it to my collection of CE games.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Jun 22, 17 11:46 AM
I finished the game - I have all the Mystery Tracker games. This one was not bad, but also found it a bit on the short side - even though there were a lot of collectibles, etc. to find - again, no opportunity to go back and find the ones missed.

And nothing special in the "Extras" after bonus chapter has been done.

I find more and more developers are giving less & less "extras" in their CE games, which I find quite disappointing. I am glad that I was able to make use of yesterday's "code", because for a CE, I don't think the full price for a game club member was worth it for this game.

As I mentioned, not a bad game, but don't think it would have been worth the full price.

But it was a nice birthday present for me today.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jun 22, 17 12:20 PM
Another rehashed story line. Someone has gone missing & you get to track her down & as usual a monster rears its ugly head. B O R I N G.

Graphics are amateurish, with murky, muddy, BLUE colorization. Nothing new or original.

HOS are interactive & pleasant enough. Mini Puzzles are dreadful. It's just a lot of sliding things here & there.

Characters are their old stiff & wooden selves with terrible mouth movement.

Love ELF. He just retrieves things for you & is not otherwise intrusive. But that top hatted, pipe smoking hint frog is just plain creepy.

A very basic game & I would only recommend it to beginners & those who do not mind being bored out of their minds.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Memories of Shadowfield Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by minesita on Jun 22, 17 1:07 PM
judy76073 wrote:I finished the game - I have all the Mystery Tracker games. This one was not bad, but also found it a bit on the short side - even though there were a lot of collectibles, etc. to find - again, no opportunity to go back and find the ones missed.

And nothing special in the "Extras" after bonus chapter has been done.

I find more and more developers are giving less & less "extras" in their CE games, which I find quite disappointing. I am glad that I was able to make use of yesterday's "code", because for a CE, I don't think the full price for a game club member was worth it for this game.

As I mentioned, not a bad game, but don't think it would have been worth the full price.

But it was a nice birthday present for me today.

Edited on 06/24/2017 at 12:54:55 PM PST

HeatherDay
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Memories of Shadowfield Collector's Edition

[Post New]by HeatherDay on Jun 23, 17 6:27 PM
I enjoyed Memories of Shadowfield as I do all Mystery Trackers. The graphics are spot on and the voice-overs seemed fitting. However, I played only until the (I believe) second puzzle when the skip button stopped working. I will try Memories of Shadowfield again and give a more appropriate review.

[I had to give a quick review because my original post was just "happy birthday, judy!" See below. The mods graciously gave me 24hrs to add a review before deleting my post all together. Would not want to do that to judy! ]

Updated review based on demo.
I really want to purchase this game but when I set hint & skip at 15 seconds, I EXPECT the skip to charge at 15 secs and not tell me "it's charging" after a minute goes by.
Also, I turned off the task pop-ups because, you know, they're annoying lol. But still had them right along with those dang sparkles.
The beta testers failed us on the CE (my opinion); I'm thinking the SE will be a better purchase. Maybe BF doesn't have our usual beta testers? Or maybe the Dev's didn't listen to our testers?...I don't know.

Anyway, as far as collectibles, someone mentioned you can not go back to find them. I don't know about the full game but during the demo, the pop up window and pointer (which turns to a magnify glass) will stay available until you find the collectible.

With all due respect to the Devs, I really enjoy Mystery Trackers and their stories. This particular story is intriguing (my opinion). I would've finished the demo but the skip stopped working (again!) at the door-puzzle in the entrance hall. I backed out, came back in and the amphibian was there ready to skip. I just quit. It's very, very frustrating not being able to keep with the flow of game.

Would I recommend this game? As it plays on my Win7 64bit, No I would not.
Would I recommend after minor glitches (sparkles, task pop-ups, skip) are fixed? Yes! I WANT TO PLAY IT, TOO!

Happy Birthday, Judy!

Edited on 06/24/2017 at 1:15:02 PM PST

[Post New]by lorraine2215 on Jun 23, 17 7:11 PM
Hard to believe this is in the same series as Raincliff and Black Isle. Very disappointed!

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Jun 24, 17 8:16 PM
Mystery Trackers is one of my favorite series but this one I didn't care for. I found it very boring and it just didn't grab my interest. Not even the cuteness of Elf could make me like this game. Hoping the next one will be better.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Jun 25, 17 12:24 AM
If it wasn't for the bonus game this game would have been ridiculously short.

I love this series, but this was the worst out of the lot, purely for value for money and length of the game.

pingwings
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by pingwings on Jun 30, 17 7:46 PM
I'm enjoying the game and I do like elf, but I just entered Ann's house and can't do anything because there is no vial to wake up the women on the chair

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Jul 1, 17 3:01 AM
Some of the reviews on the homepage claimed that the long gone MT feeling has come back with this game... I don't think so at all.

Ok, a few mini games were interesting, and though I don't care much for little furry helpers, I must admit that I fell in love with Elf since the good old days of Black Isle.
But over all NO - MT isn't back (and I doubt it will ever be).
With Raincliff, Black Isle and 4 Aces we used to have well composed, exciting and challenging games, this one is incredibly simple, lacks atmosphere and adventure, it's just an ordinary game for beginners.

While we used to go back and forth in the older games, had to remember where we'd seen what and spent a lot of time figuring out what to do next, the latest installments have been simplistic and boring. Nowadays, you just finish one room or place after another without having to come back, half of the gameplay consists of indentations and standards like missing zippers.

And it's true - this game falls on the very short side, and the bonus chapter is incredibly uninspired. I even started to skip some of the mini games which I usually never do because I lost any interest in the story. Furthermore, both endings (main game and bonus) are very abrupt and unsatisfying.
Not more than maximum.
Too sad.

napapen
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by napapen on Jul 1, 17 10:27 AM
Just finished the first section and started the bonus chapter. It seemed short or I may be getting better at these games. I prefer hidden object games to most of the other puzzles so did skip a few. Hint takes too long at times or when you need it most!!

Jorie10
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Jul 1, 17 1:35 PM
Sorry I got the CE version -- even on sale. Nothing in the CE made it worthwhile, IMO.

Really did not like that I could not collect missed collectibles at the end. I had missed one of each type. If anything, an indicator for collectibles on the map would have been great to have. Then I would not have left an area before collecting everything there.

Secret Room was a joke. Replaying the HOPs and puzzles should just be a general part of the bonus features and not be the 'unlocked' Secret Room. I never replay HOPs for puzzles, so the Secret Room was worth nothing for me. IMO, a Secret Room feature should offer something new.

Liked the storyline except for the short and uninspired Bonus Chapter.

Cursor started to go wonky in the Bonus Chapter. Didn't do that for the main game. Coded differently? Don't know.

I just cannot recommend this game as a CE.

Doubtful I will replay this game. In addition to the above, it was overall too easy of a game. So little challenge besides a few good puzzles.

Shame because Mystery Trackers use to be one of my favorite series and I bought this game based on my enjoyment of the past games. Lesson learned.

[Post New]by djmadison64 on Jul 2, 17 7:48 AM
I usually agree with Pennmom36 and Biscuitsmama but had to add my comment on this game. I have loved all the Mystery Trackers and was looking forward to a new one- finally. I have over 100 games but not even the SEs are this short. I'm very disappointed in this one. The story is OK but not really all that interesting. I love Elf, especially when we have to be creative and outfit him before he can do a task. I swear I only had 2 hours of game play, including the bonus game. This game didn't even come close to the others in the series.

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

Don't Rely on Reviews (Even Mine!) – Play The Demos! Lesson Learned!

[Post New]by ChocPeng on Jul 3, 17 12:12 AM

REVIEW IS BASED UPON COMPLETION OF GAME AND BONUS

Why do I do it? Why do I get excited about a two-for-one sale and make purchases based upon the number of stars games have and forego the demos? Have the last 10 years taught me nothing?

I saw a respectable number of stars for this game as well as another so I purchased them paying no mind to demos. I got what I deserved. This game was terrible!

I really dislike long games; I know, I'm different that way. I like to whip through a game in one night, two at the most, and move on. Yet, even for ME this game was too short. Geez, I was done in less than a couple of hours, INCLUDING the bonus game.

In its infinite wisdom, BFG provides us with two methods for choosing games – the demo and reviews – and it's my own fault for not taking advantage of the demos and basing my purchase on the word of people who play thousands of games and give five stars to almost all of them. Had I been more discerning, I would have never purchased this game. This game is really that bad. I mean, the mini-games were mind-numbingly simple, except a couple that were ridiculously hard, but all were boring.

I'm not usually into stories so I'll let others fill you in on the story, but I will say I found this story particularly ridiculous. It's not that I think stories are bad, I just don't notice them. The fact that I noticed how bad this one was says something about just how bad it was.

Everything about this game was awkward. The interface, the movements, the flow – nothing worked.

Oh, and the HOGs were so easy that I never looked at a single item in the list, I just clicked away on the screen and STILL won all the awards for the HOGs.

I missed a warp item and it really steamed me that I wasn't given the chance to go back and find it. All developers – except this one, apparently, are giving gamers the ability to go back and fix mistakes but don't expect any mercy for booboos in this game.

I'm just so aggravated that I wasted my time on this game. This is the worst one of this series – by far – and I don't think I will ever purchase another one.

As always, PLAY THE DEMOS and decide for yourself. And be discerning when considering reviews – even mine!

I don't recommend this game.

Edited on 07/03/2017 at 12:34:02 AM PST

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jul 5, 17 12:00 AM
Chocpeng, you said it all for me. BASED ON ENTIRE GAME : it was just terrible. If I could get my money back based on awful, terribly short, and non-existent CE content, then I would. And like you, I got suckered into the sale. Never again!!!

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jul 5, 17 1:22 PM
For several years, I bought all the Mystery Trackers games, but recently the stories and repetitive play, plus the use of Elf in ridiculous places made me lose interest. I decided to take a chance on this after playing the demo: I love Elf and usually find at least some of the stories intriguing, but this one made me totally short-tempered by the end, despite the rather interesting plot. By the middle of the game, I began to think of it as the endless keys and shapes game: fitting this shape into that, and I do mean endlessly doing so, to open everything from a girl's room to a refrigerator, to many, many doors, drawers, cabinets, etc. Find the key, find the shape, play some hidden object games, play some mini-games, several of which were no brainers, interspersed with mini-games that, at least for me, never made sense, so that I skipped them. This may be because I'm dyslexic, and sometimes game instructions really make no sense to me, but I've been playing these kinds of games for about 7 or 8 years now, and I'm usually very good at them. Generally, I never look at the SG except to confirm collectibles, but I actually checked it for several of the mini-games. And who would send a dog of any size into a industrial fan which was currently turned off, as if that guarantees safety? I deleted the game at the end of regular play and did not go to the bonus chapter. I will say, I always like collectibles, but with the repetitiveness of actions, I totally lost interest and just wanted it to be over.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jul 12, 17 6:31 PM
Being a Mystery Trackers Agent can be very stressful. So stressful in fact, that your brain has shut out all memories of your current case, The Shadowfield Observatory missing persons case! This assignment should have been a piece of cake, but something must have gone terribly wrong, to cause amnesia. Your only hope of solving this case, is through hypnosis, to peel back the layers, buried deep within the mind. One thing's for sure, your partner Elf seems to know more than he's letting on, but he ain't talking!
The Mystery Trackers series has always appealed to me, especially in the beginning. As with most games in a long running series, Mystery Trackers hit a bump in the road to fame, with some less than stellar games. The problem was that in an attempt to make the games easy enough for beginners, they made the puzzles and game features too simplistic, making the games unappealing to even the beginners. I think Mystery Trackers finally made it over the bump in the road, with the last two games offered, they have redeemed their credibility!
There are really only two "sidekicks" that are must haves, Mr. Jenkins, and of course, Elf. Mystery Trackers would't be Mystery Trackers without the help of our little four legged pint sized agent. In this Collector's Edition version, there are plenty of extras to validate its worthiness. In fact, when I first discovered this series, back in the day, I couldn't get enough of theses games because of their highly entertaining extras, every MT games have them. There are Morphing Objects, 12 hidden Zodiac Symbols, and 40 Hidden Screen Tiles that will complete a stunning stellar picture when they are all found.
The Hidden Object Scenes are decent, but still don't compare to the earlier HO's offered originally. (the one's where objects were cleverly blended into the scene, not heaped on top of a giant pile of junk) There are Interactive List finds, Silhouetted Shape finds, Keywords in sentences and scenes where you grab items from the inventory bar and place them into the scenes logically. One HOP in particular was challenging because you have to scan two different constellation maps to highlight the images to find them. Back in the day, Mystery Trackers Hidden Object Scenes were unique, because they required you to toggle back and forth between inventory bars, because some HO interactions required items that you found during the main game!
The Mini Games are much less simplistic than they were previously, but still lean towards the easy breezy side. Below are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the demo:
1) Guide the tool chip along the tracks to the right side of the board.(all that work for a lousy screwdriver, everyone knows all you need is a coin!)
2) Move the elements across the board to place the symbols of Zodiac signs next to their matching images.
3) Remove the branches in the correct order.
4) Align the correct fittings by rotating the circle to match up halves.
5) Complete the image by rotating honeycomb shaped tiles.
6) Arrange the planets into one line, moving one planet may affect others.
7) Arrange the board according to the diagram, moving one sphere may affect others.
8) Use the pin to mark 3 different sized stars on the globe, click the globe to rotate it and drag the pin to move it.
MYSTERY TRACKERS GAMES AVAILABLE:
Name****Collector's Edition Release Date***Average Rating
Black Isle (CE 3-1-12) 4.5
Blackrow's Secret (CE 8-28-14) 3.6
Four Aces (CE 10-11-12) 4.6
Memories of Shadowfield (CE 6-22-17) 3.5
Nightsville Horror (CE 3-26-15) 3.6
Paxton Creek Avenger (CE 1-28-16) 3.6
Queen of Hearts (CE 12-10-16) 3.1
Raincliff (CE 11-15-11) 4.6
Raincliff's Phantoms (CE 2-13-14) 4.5
This Collector's Edition has 8 Wallpapers, 8 Concept Art pictures, 4 Music Soundtracks, 22 Achievements, 40 Screen Fragment Tiles, Morphing Objects, 12 hidden Horoscope Signs, a Secret Room, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy!

Go to: