Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Grandpa's Table here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jun 28, 17 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 06/28/2017 at 6:56:47 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grandpa's Table here.

[Post New]by moonfish1956 on Jun 28, 17 4:37 AM
This is a nicely packaged simple game - think Sokoban with sliding coloured stones that only stop moving when they hit an obstacle. The same colour stones are eliminated when they all gather together (sometimes they have to be standing on stars when eliminated). There is a neat undo button which, when held, cycles back all your moves or single click per move. The levels increase in difficulty as you rise. The desk with all your options and functions is nicely done but I don't understand the lamp's function, if any, except to turn on and off. Oh! And I've found a key but as yet don't know what it unlocks. It's a buy from me, l like this type of puzzle and it deserves 4 stars.
Edited to say: The only way l could find out of the game was to press the Esc button which brings up an exit menu. Maybe someone else knows better?

Edited on 06/28/2017 at 4:40:48 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jun 28, 17 6:57 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Grandpa's Table here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Grandpa's Table.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

[Post New]by Dayanablack on Jun 29, 17 3:56 AM
The game is excellent and original.... Liked it a lot, and you will too if you like games to think.......... And with a nice atmospheric style....

Yes, it seems the only way to quit is Esc?

[Post New]by KarenNascarFan on Jun 29, 17 11:16 PM
Since it really is a visually beautiful game, I'm really disappointed in this one for several reasons. First, was that the description made it sound like there were several "different" puzzles, when in fact, it's actually the same type of puzzle through the entire game. Finally, you can only create one profile, so when you're done, you're done. No playing it over to compete against yourself for higher scores. But REALLY annoying was I wasted so much time and frustration at trying to figure out how to even exit the game. I wanted to scream at the developer that, instead of being able to turn the desk light off and on for no apparent reason, instead give us a exit button for cornbread sake. What game doesn't have an exit button now days?

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jun 30, 17 5:54 AM
I loved this game; relaxing to play with some lovely light-classical pieces of music to accompany the levels.

Nothing terribly sophisticated about this; it's a traditional 'group tiles of the same colour together' game with the twist that to earn points you must cover the stars. The points give you access to bonus levels which in turn allow you to solve a level and also give you a memento from Grandpa's draw. I found 3 so far and it wasn't hard to imagine a real person holding on to these little keepsakes (like me for example!). The draw is located at the bottom of the screen.

There are a few options; turn off the music (which for once I didn't as it's lovely), undo the last move (or all your moves) and solve a puzzle with points you've earned. You can also change languages by clicking on the flags at the bottom left corner. I'm assuming the table lamp was there just for realism and while there doesn't appear to be an exit button, many old games used the keyboard 'esc' button, so I don't have a problem with it.

I did find by trial and error that my mouse wheel zoomed the screens, which will hide buttons you may need; after I found that out, I was careful not to idly play with the mouse wheel

This lovely little game is a definite buy for me; at last an SE I can use up a PCC on

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Jul 2, 17 4:18 AM
I like these kind of puzzles, although they do get harder as you progress in the game. One minus I've found is that they show the solution way too fast; once they're done I've forgotten how it started

[Post New]by Dayanablack on Jul 4, 17 3:41 AM
I loved this game..... challenging puzzles

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Jul 10, 17 2:26 PM
Loved the demo and got it w/ a PCC ONLY because:

- It's not timed.
- It has an "undo" feature for one move at a time or restart the level.
- I found solutions online to help (search for "Grandpa's Table"/ videos)

Cons:
- It costs coins to show a solution - not sure what happens if they run out.
- No walkthrough. Had BFG posted one, it would've encouraged more players (of all levels) to try and enjoy.
- Menu is unnecessarily confusing.
- Poor instructions.

Despite all above, once I got the hang of it, I started enjoying it. Looking forward to hours of brain-racking play!

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jul 12, 17 10:12 AM
This is a game variation of blocks, where your challenge is to group tokens by color. Once you have grouped all tokens of the same color together, they will flip over and you can't move those tokens unless you undo your move or moves. The goal, however, is to cover all stars, and to do this, you will need to use strategy, using other tokens as bumpers, because a token will move in a straight line until it hits an obstacle.
At first the levels are basic, and the tutorial is minimal, so your kind of left on your own to discover the game mechanics. Stars surrounded by diamonds, will lock any tile into place, but you can undo your last move, or hold the mouse button down to undo multiple moves.
To gain all three stars in each level, you must cover every star. You need to score sufficiently to unlock more levels, and when you earn 3 stars, you will unlock bonus levels which will also unlock "Grandpa's Mementos" to supposedly help him regain his lost memories.
The problem with this game for me, was that at times it was more frustrating than fun, and I just simply became bored playing the same game over and over.

lamp_post
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by lamp_post on Jul 19, 17 1:53 PM
This is truly a good game. Pennmom described the basics of the game very well. But I must disagree that it is boring. If you love puzzles and figuring out the best strategy, then this is the game you should try.

It does take time to figure out the strategy but that is what makes it interesting.
Have fun and give it a try.
Lamp_post

Go to: