Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Tales: The House of Others Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jun 29, 17 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 06/29/2017 at 6:31:03 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Tales: The House of Others Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jun 29, 17 6:31 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Tales: The House of Others Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Tales: The House of Others Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

HeatherDay
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Tales: The House of Others Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by HeatherDay on Jun 29, 17 9:12 AM
Review is based on 19 minutes of Demo. No tech issues on Win 7 64-bit pro which has also become a very finicky laptop Again, no tech issues.

This is probably a very good game. Great graphics and voice-overs. The puzzles were decent and the one HOS I encountered was too easy but nicely done.
However, I quit early in the demo because of all the cut-scenes. It seemed after every click I made there was a cut-scene to follow. Granted, most cut-scenes lasted one second or less BUT as we reviewers have stated before: We're here to play a game, NOT WATCH A MOVIE!
I quit when the gimmick came into play.

This is my personal opinion so try for yourself. I might just be having an off day. I'll save it in the manager for some other time.
Happy gaming and remember to respect all fishies in this huge pond of ours!

OnBreak
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by OnBreak on Jun 29, 17 9:25 AM
I have only played a few minutes and am really liking the game. I noticed that i have already purchased all or most of this series, so i just jumped on yesterday's code and bought it sight unseen.

There are collectibles and morphing objects, the first HO was fun and a bit interesting as I found each object and ended with a mini game.

Different strokes for different folks, if you already own this series, be sure and check it out

The puzzles have hard or easy option, i am selecting the hard ones and they still seem fairly easy, no frustrations. I have yet to use a hint.

Edited on 06/29/2017 at 9:44:33 AM PST

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Jun 29, 17 12:40 PM
I did the same, "onbreak" - bought it with yesterday's code w/o even trying it. Quite liking it. I am a bit tired of the "gimmicks" used in some of the games, but for the most part, I can live with those. I'm taking my time with this game and enjoying it.

Cheers to all Canadian & USA "fishes" for Happy 150th Canada Day & USA July 4th holidays coming up this weekend !

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Jun 29, 17 12:45 PM
Ok guess my other comment was too harsh & got removed! Ill try this one. Game has a spooky flare! I miss the more fairy tale style games & I notice on the forums others do too! Don't understand why all the games are headed in the Ghost type monsters & demons!. & this is one of them!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 30, 17 3:55 PM
Hi all! Well, I've lost count in how many we have for this series, but many. As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to those who do a much better job than I. The graphics in this game are quite good, except for the blur you have when going in and out of a close up scene, seems to be a constant with this dev. At first, I was put off by the purple color in the beginning, but that quickly cleared up and the colors were nice and bright, without being over-powering. The voices were very well done, with emotion, excitement, fear, etc. In most cases, you can click through the dialog if you read faster than they speak, without missing any hidden clues. Game play was excellent, with no problems during the demo. Sound FX are very nice. Animation was quite nice and had fairly smooth movements. The music got very boring very quickly and sometimes seemed out of place for the action. Yes, this story has gone back to the creepy, scary type we used to have all the time, but the story is fairly well done anyway.

HOPs are very well done. You have a combination of interactive lists and interactive silhouettes. The scenes are fairly clear and items are not difficult to find. These are well done. Maybe I missed it, but I did not see that you could switch to something different if you didn't care for the HOPs. Puzzles are not all that difficult, but I did find one that took me a bit of time to complete. Yes, my favorite map! It is very clear and easy to follow, and it also shows you where you have missed a collectible. The hint system is very helpful and actually gives you a hint. You still do a lot of back tracking, just as in the other games in this series, so having the transport feature is a real time saver, which is used through the jump map. Hint system is quite useful and doesn't just tell you to move on.

Collectibles aren't bad. We need to find 44 butterflies, which are different colors and often blended well with background, some scenes have more than one; 15 morphing artifacts, some are quite small and easy to miss; and tarot cards, which are very small and hard to find in most cases. Collectibles are somewhat challenging to find, mostly because of their size.

You have glasses that allow you to see things from the past, and allow you to pull needed items from the past to use in the present and vice versa. It also gives you more of the story. I liked the story, even if it wasn't anything new, but it was interesting and moved at a steady pace. I do not give 5 stars easily, a game must be exceptional in all fields. This one would have been close, had it not been for the blurry graphics. That said, I think all levels of players will find this one interesting and fun. Yes, I am adding this to my every growing collection of CE games.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

LadyReah
Herring
Herring
372 Posts

[Post New]by LadyReah on Jul 1, 17 6:58 PM
Mundane is the word I would use to describe this game. Really wanted to like this game and hoped for so much more.

The hidden object scenes were too easy, so I played the match 3 game instead.

Most of the puzzles have a choice between easy and hard. Even on hard the puzzles were ridiculously easy.

Tons of cutscenes, mostly due to a special pair of glasses that you must use.

I lost track of how many times I had to find something for rusty items or something to deal with cobwebs.

The only thing I found a bit challenging in the game was finding the tarot cards. Some of them were a bit hard to find.

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by plat1098 on Jul 8, 17 9:50 AM
A very infrequent player of this genre but of all the games, I bought Mystery Tales: The Twilight World--why? Cuz it was so goofily earnest, a touch creepy, and very cool with its concept. This one plays like a slick, well-engineered cartoon, with more in the way of flash in the pan and fast motions and less in the way of heart and personal input by the development team. I judge a game a LOT by how it's made and what you can sense about the care and personal involvement. If you like routine HOPs, mini games and nonstop hectic activity with snazzy sound effects, check it out. Me? I'm gonna go back and demo some old MT, maybe I'll get lucky there.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jul 9, 17 5:59 AM
You see dead people. This is your gift, this is also your curse, and this time it's personal. You've been contacted by your own brother Patrick, and this can only mean one thing, he's dead! Ghost hunting runs in the family, and Patrick was the host of the popular Ghost Riders show. His latest show took place in the Arden Manor, home to Count Valack Arden, an infamous serial killer. No one knows why this once kind and gentle father, turned into a vicious killer, but it's probably safe to assume it has something to do with the death of his baby girl Helen.
No credible ghost chaser would be caught "dead" without their Astral Glasses that allow you to see past events as well as interact with the astral plane and it's objects. In this Collector's Edition version, there are 44 Hidden Butterflies (and apparently moths are included) that allow you to use them as currency to purchase 14 different Cursed Items. There are also 15 hidden Morphing Figurines, 16 collectible Tarot Cards and Collectible Notes, which always seem to blow away from your hands as soon as you arrive, happens every time!
The Hidden Object Scenes are varied and for the most part, are entertaining, and you can also opt to play a Match 3. There are Interactive List finds, Silhouetted Shape finds, Keyword finds, and even Zoom Zone finds. My favorite however, are the "Spot the Difference" scenes.
The Mini Games are decent, but even on the "Hard" setting, they seem fairly easy to solve. Below are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the demo:
1) Rotate the circles to create the symbols shown around the border, rotating one circle may affect others.
2) Swap the black and white tokens, they can only move forward and can only jump opposite colors.
3) Clear all ghosts by moving to a space next to them.
4) Select arrows to mold the lockpick to fit the lock.
5) Click on 4 different colored light filtering options to scan for the ghost in each scene.
6) Use directional arrows to move the planchette and flip over all tiles to create an image.
7) Swap books to create an image on the book spines, wrong selections will cause the books to shuffle.
8) Pick the correct card that matches the description given in the crystal ball.
9) Color the painting according to the numbers, some colors require mixing paints that equal larger sums.
10) Arrange arrows on the board to create a path that will cross all symbols.
MYSTERY TALES GAMES AVAILABLE
Alaskan Wild (CE 8-24-15)
Eye of the Fire (CE 9-29-16)
Her Own Eyes (CE 2-18-16)
The Hangman Returns (CE 1-26-17)
The House of Others (CE 6-29-17)
The Lost Hope (CE 1-25-14)
The Twilight World (CE 1-29-15)
This Collector's Edition has 15 Collectible Figurines, 16 Collectible Tarot Cards, Missing Dossier Notes to find, 15 Morphing Objects, 44 Hidden Butterflies to purchase Cursed Items, 11 Concept Art pictures, 13 Wallpapers, 5 Music Soundtracks, 18 replayable Hidden Object Scenes, 34 Achievements to earn, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy!

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by plat1098 on Jul 9, 17 12:19 PM
Hey thanks for the MT list, pennmom! Now it's easier to make a selection.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Dec 8, 17 7:33 PM
I'm liking this game so far, just started the bonus part. A bit confused as it doesn't follow the first part so far.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Dec 9, 17 12:33 PM
finished found everything but 1 tarot card. love this game. but still confused about the bonus chapter.

Sinclair
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by Sinclair on Mar 22, 18 8:13 AM
At the end of the game, Each time I put the skull on the book, tentacles appeared. when I touch one of them or If I wait for the recharging's skip bar, the game shut off. I tried 5 times and always the same scenario happened. I checked all the updates available; Video card ATI Radeon HD6770, ActiveX Java etc My pc have the window 7 configuration. On the desk a little window appeared but there is no message in this window. I owned more than 200 games and this one is particularly frustrating.

Go to: