Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Love Chronicles: Death's Embrace Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 1, 17 12:43 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 07/01/2017 at 10:40:16 AM PST

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Love Chronicles: Death's Embrace Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by rainworm on Jul 1, 17 1:50 AM
As this is a game in the Love Chronicles series, theme is of course: Love. This time our lover has even to enter the underworld to find his diseased bride and revive her.
Not a real fan of romances, this game appeals to me. as action dominates my steps. . Pace is good, many actions to perform, many puzzles to solve and interesting HO scenes to work out.
A great plus: this time NO helper and puzzles have an easy/hard option. Artwork/atmosphere of the game: amazing.

So it was a buy for me.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Love Chronicles: Death's Embrace Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 1, 17 3:39 AM
At first I thought this game might be a bit too 'lovey-dovey' for me but as it went on, the syrupy sweetness of the opening scene gave way to something a lot darker. The young mage should remember that nothing good ever comes from signing pacts with anyone and trying to bring back loved ones from the grave is never a good idea. But he's young and doesn't listen.......

The colour palette at the start is very pink/purple but this changes as the game progresses and the graphics were soft but clear. HOS vary from lists, silhouettes, matching pairs and putting objects back; most were very interactive. The mini-games were fun to solve although not overly challenging for the most part. There seems to be only one set of collectibles, unsurprisingly in the form of hearts; not always obvious as they can be outlines as well as block colours. When you collect them all, they open a mini-game in the extras section.

The map shows where there are tasks to be done and it transports. The 4 modes of play include custom, the SG shows 6 chapters (inc. the bonus) and the extras section includes pics of the Vendel team together with wallpapers, concept art, music and the hearts mini-game. Not much to get excited about there.

Overall I liked the demo although it was extremely short; mine ended with 42 minutes remaining which begs the question 'why offer a 90 minute demo when your cut off point is virtually half that time?'. It's so misleading to offer a demo time that's way short of what's actually on offer; a 60 minute demo would have been more than ample for this game. It may have been a sample but the point still stands; don't exaggerate the actual playing time just to make it appear more attractive.

This will be a buy for me as the sale is 2 for the price of 1 and I want to get Mystery Tales: The House of Others as well. I already have a GCC so if I buy one more, I can get both games for the price of another GCC. Bargain

I had no technical issues with the short demo. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit

Edited on 07/01/2017 at 3:47:30 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Jul 1, 17 5:11 AM
I have all the Love Chronicles! & Ive added this one! I love the fairy tale style of game!
Its a breath of fresh air to the last 2 games that have come out! Vendals Devs really understand us! Trial gives a good idea of game! Thanks looking forward to playing it!

cabanaeast18
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

Amost perfect

[Post New]by cabanaeast18 on Jul 1, 17 6:47 AM
I have most of Vendal games. I love this game. It has an awesome story, graphics, vo's, characters and music! Did I miss something? I really enjoy lots of storytelling with pictures. I am one that sure enjoys my helpers...like company! Perhaps an option to have or not to have a little helper, please?

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Jul 1, 17 10:39 AM
It's pretty and all but way too many puzzles for me .....to all those that love the game enjoy....the puzzles just dissuade me from buying the game....

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Love Chronicles: Death's Embrace Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Jul 1, 17 10:39 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Love Chronicles: Death's Embrace Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Love Chronicles: Death's Embrace Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 1, 17 12:54 PM
Hi all. Well, I believe this is #6 in this series. I do have most of them, but not all. As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story line to others. Colors are quite nice and bright in this addition. Graphics seemed very clear, even in the cut scenes and closeups. Animation was fairly nice as well. Music was quite soothing and nice and didn't over power the game play, as some often do. It is a somewhat quiet game in that we do not have much in the way of character interaction. What we do have was done well and is age and character appropriate. The sound FX were nice, but very quiet.

HOPs were nothing new or exciting, mostly interactive silhouettes, then place the item in the scene and lists. They were fairly clear and items were not difficult to find. I did not see that you could switch to anything else if you got bored with the HOPs. Puzzles were extremely simple and took no time or brain power to complete. The hint system is very helpful and we do have a transport feature in this game. You can also use the jump map if you prefer. You don't do a lot of traveling around to different areas during the demo, but you do return to the same few areas multiple times.

Collectibles are hearts which are large and quite easy to spot. They can be solid or outlines. No challenge here, you just have to remember to pick them up. I didn't see anything else in the way of collectibles and this game certainly could have used more.

This game moved very slowly. We spend too much time in a very small area before moving on, so it got boring very quickly. There was nothing new or challenging in this game that grabbed my attention and wanted me to keep playing. I played out the demo, hoping it would pick up, but it did not. I think this game is geared more toward the beginner than anyone else, but there will be those who just want an easy no brainer game for a change...this is definitely it. I have a number of games like this, but this one just didn't do it for me. I will recommend this game only for beginners. So, no buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Jul 1, 17 5:48 PM
Based on the demo: As w/ a lot of games I demo these days, I'm on the fence w/ this one (which is essentially moot at this point, since I can't get it today, anyway ). On the one hand, the flavor of this game is excellent, in my opinion, & I appreciated the fact that there was an immediacy of things to actually DO, as opposed to making observations about what I'm missing & otherwise guddling about. I think it's definitely possible that this game is one of those rare few that doesn't have a lot of filler, & THAT would be a breath of fresh air. Those two factors are almost enough to sell me right there. Unfortunately, the "casual/hard" option has only been offered thus far on mini-games the type of which I'm not keen on to begin with, so I don't know if that will add much replay value to this game for me. I enjoy the aesthetic value of the collectibles (yes, I'm actually squirrelly enough to care about that O.O), but having only one kind, of a type that's easily spotted, doesn't add that much dimension, either. Also, unless I'm mistaken - & someone please post to correct me if I am - the HO scenes & mini-games are NOT replayable as part of the bonus content. I don't normally use that option, anyway, but it's pretty much the industry standard that it be available. The one thing that could tip me more towards getting the CE rather than waiting for the SE is learning that the bonus chapter makes the CE purchase worthwhile...unfortunately, people rarely comment on that. So I will probably end-up waiting for the SE. One way or another, though, the flavor of this game is just too good, I think, for me to pass it up entirely.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

Not a buy

[Post New]by divaprods on Jul 1, 17 5:49 PM
Graphics and HOS were great and different but there is too much black magic for me.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jul 3, 17 11:43 AM
This is an enjoyable game. I like the story line, the characters, the graphics, and even the music. Good amount of HOs for me, because they are why I play these games. I even like most of the puzzles with one caveat: there are some that require rapid movement from my arthritic hands, and I have to skip them. However, I understand that they wouldn't be difficult for most people, and so far (almost to the end of the main game) I haven't run into any puzzles that I hate. That's always a plus. I'm very happy with this game, and want to see what happens next....although I have a pretty good idea.

napapen
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by napapen on Jul 4, 17 8:54 AM
so far the game has been interesting but now I am suppose to make a potion and I suddenly realized I hate making potions. So I may delete this game as potions don't have a skip feature.

demon13
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by demon13 on Jul 4, 17 9:38 AM
I too like the little helpers, The dev's could add an option to have one or not to have one, Make everyone happy, Kid's love the helper. Usually when it is time to use one they want to do it,LOL

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by plat1098 on Jul 4, 17 6:14 PM
Newcomer here to Love Chronicles series, but after A Winter's Spell, I come back for more. This one saves itself from smarmy by the gorgeous, richly detailed graphics (something I appreciated with the other LC), little unexpected twists in the gameplay, and not a lot of jabber about lovey-dovey, it's down to business pretty quickly. Liking Aaron's roommates there. If you're not too distracted, there are heart collectables. Yes, a dark theme (AGAIN), but I "Love" it.

Flawless demo gameplay on a Windows 10 Creators Build machine.

Edit: Uh, actually, there is a tiny glitch. Went back to the underwater scene and in the mini scene with the skeleton, if you click on the blue fish swimming by, it kind of "shoots" or skitters along. The demo took me all of 25 minutes, but I used a number of hints and skipped a couple of mini games.

Edited on 07/04/2017 at 6:53:08 PM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jul 12, 17 10:46 AM
Aaron and Ophelia were about to be joined in Holy Matrimony when the unthinkable happened. Ophelia became stricken with a disease, a magical disease, a deadly disease. Aaron tried every spell, and every potion imaginable, but they all failed to cure her, and the dark Lord of the Underworld collected her soul. Aaron vowed to save Ophelia, if Light Magic was incapable of saving her, Dark Magic surely would!
Pack your bags, we're headed for the Underworld to make the devil a deal! I've always been a fan of this, often overlooked series, which shows that Love is enduring, and has no boundaries, Love will move the heavens and the earth, Love will even enter the Land of the Dead to conquer its gatekeeper, Lord Phobos! I wasn't blown away by this storyline, however, because it lacks originality, and has been written and rewritten about a hundred times, in about a hundred different ways. I wasn't impressed with the Collector's Edition extras either, or lack thereof, because other than a handful of wallpapers and Vendel dev pictures, the only frill offered is 26 Hidden Heart Signs. You will use only one gadget, a Compass that helps you find caches hidden by magic. The compass isn't used a whole lot, and usually involves aligning symbols or places in the scene. There are no helpers or sidekicks, and I must admit I was a wee bit disappointed that Blaze didn't become my partner in crime, because Blaze is a really well animated, fire breathing Dragon Skeleton, nothing but bone, but really cool! (kudos to the VG animation and 2D graphic artist team!)
The Hidden Object Scenes are fairly well done, many of which are more of a Mini Game than a seek and find game. There are Interactive List finds which expose fragments to collect, Silhouetted Shape finds followed by replacing those objects you found into a different portion of the scene, and Multiples of the same item finds.
The Mini Games range from super easy, to medium difficulty, some of the games allow you to choose the difficulty mode of Casual or Hard. Below are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the demo:
1) Click on matching pairs of objects.
2) Swap adjacent tile sections to complete the image.
3) Select matching halves of keys, then choose the correct key to open the chest.
4) Restore the compass image by rotating the rings until all the lines match perfectly.
5) Find all of the witches' runes hidden on the map.
6) Press the correct dagger buttons as the falling bubbles pass through them.
7) Drag the parts into the center to complete the design, not all parts are used.
8) Select the scope when it turns green and then select the meter when the bar is aligned to throw the grappling hook.
9) Swap the doorknockers so that the rings match the faces.

10) Examine the scene and find four of each symbol shown during a story.
11) Place all of the marbles in their matching colored slots, pressing on the hexagonal tiles to rotate them.
This Collector's Edition has 26 Hidden Heart Signs, 18 Vendel Team pictures, 9 Music Soundtracks, 10 Wallpapers, 10 Concept Art pictures, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy!

Go to: