Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

For everyone thinks the game is too short

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 24, 10 7:12 AM
Hi fishies, I have read many comments about games are too short (todays tgt, yesterdays game etc.). You miss very good games if you only look for the gamelength. Here a few points from me:

I absolutely love this game. It might me a little bit short, but:
1. The gamelength depends always on the player experience
2. The gameprice last year was 17 € for me (no clubmember), no it is only 6€, that means the developers get less money I think thats why the games gets shorter
3. If you buy a dvd f. e. you pay 10-15 € and watch the video 1 or 2 times and its only 90 minutes long

Only my opinion of course. For me the gamelength is not so important. I prefer to play a good game for 2-3 hours than a bad game the hole day. Happy gaming!

Edited on 04/24/2010 at 7:14:26 AM PST

lilorange
Flounder
Flounder
2,206 Posts

Re:For everyone thinks the game is too short

[Post New]by lilorange on Apr 24, 10 7:25 AM
Thanks for the info Eisteepfirsich. I also don't really look at game length as a major criteria in my game purchases. I don't have enough time to play all the games I get, so a good one is more important. I've got to decide this weekend what games I'll get with my punchcard coupons from last month--so I think I'll give this one a try!

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on Apr 24, 10 7:29 AM
I agree about the game length. Some "short" games are excellent and have a lot of replay value. Other games are "long" but get boring and I never finish them, so the length didn't matter.

What I generally look for in a game is replay value. Will I play it again and still enjoy it? That will generally turn a game into a "buy" for me.

And I look at how much fun the game is. If I enjoy it, does length or even if it can be replayed really matter?

Everyone has something different they look for in a game, which is why the variety here is so good. Something will turn up, sooner or later, that you'll really like.

I'm off to try the DD - you can find some really great games that you missed and at a great price!

Indy70
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Indy70 on Apr 24, 10 7:43 AM
Everyone makes an excellent point here regarding game length. Personally, having played a lot of games here in the past months, IHOGs and HOGs, I am finding that I would much rather pay for a great short game than a boring, difficult, mind-numbing game. I really do believe it's quality, not quantity. I don't have hours and hours to spend playing at one sitting. I have to divide time playing a game sometimes over days. So a great 2 hour game for some can be a 6 hour game for me if I take my time, read the storylines, take in beautifully done graphics, etc.

To each his own and that's why I really like the objective reviews here that give me lots of concise info regarding the various aspects of the game, then I can trial the game and decide whether it's right for me or not. But the exactly length of the game has no bearing and is not the deciding factor for me personally on whether I buy or not.

Have a great weekend all and happy gaming.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 24, 10 7:53 AM
I fully agree with all your opinions. I wish everyone a great weekend. I am off to playing now the daily deal.

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on Apr 24, 10 8:03 AM
If they would just take out the "you are done here" prompts, this would be on of my favorites as far as quality in graphics, story, puzzles and genre.
The curser and other interactivity work very well.
This is a nice high quality game and we need to encourage the developers to make more at same high standard. That means voting with our cash or "credits".

We can still say we want longer game length. Because we want to play the game more because they are so good. Hear us developers? lol.

It is a buy for me.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Apr 24, 10 12:36 PM
Well, I think the idea of a game being short is subjective. If you are just trying a hidden object game for the first time then it will take a longer time than if you have played hundreds of them. I'd also point out that the novel mode is longer simply because of side quests and that if you only play classic mode you are cheating yourself of gameplay.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Apr 24, 10 2:42 PM
Yes it boils down to personal preference.

I am the same way with books. (well used to be when I read) I never buy books that are "short"- it would be foolish of me as I would have to buy 3 to 5 times as many books to last me as I go throught them very quickly.

PC games no different when making a selection which to buy.
I play games 8-16 hours a day. I cannot buy 10 games per day unless they are $1 each.

This is why people join libraries or join all access game clubs so they can read and play as much as they like.

I did buy this games as I was excited - it was so good and from the walkthrough it looked long but the walkthrough just had a load of screenshots and the scenes are short to play. I would have passed this game if I knew it was so short.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Apr 24, 10 3:41 PM
May be I am among the lucky fishies - I played this game about 8 hours (!!!???) Two hours after I bought the game, and after 2 hours of doing some chores - another 6 hours. I skipped almost all the puzzles...

Needless to say, that I played without looking at the walkthrough, and allowed myself to wander around. I don't understand how other fishies finished the game after 2 hours...

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on Apr 24, 10 4:26 PM
Methinks my big mouth has been closed for me.I thank you. This is a great game from what I've played.It has elements that I love,so length shouldn't be an issue to me.
I remember when I finally finished 'Escape From Rosecliff Island',I was bored to death.Sure it was long but BORING.I hated it by the time i finished.I am fairly new to this genre.Normally,if I game it's RPGs and such,they take a year to finish.But now I know for the price,I get a lot.Thank you for opening my eyes and closing my big mouth.I apologize for my criticism of this game.

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Apr 25, 10 1:24 AM
For me the game was an ordinary HOG in length (I'm pretty quick with most HOGs, good memory and a talent for spotting shapes), but especially the idea with the secrets gives me a good reason to replay the game (as do the various options during dialogue in the novel mode).

I usually judge games through their story (great in this game) and their replay value (the two modes and the secrets make this game very replayable).
From both points a very good game.

(But then, there's books around I've read at least five or six times. I like doing things I enjoyed again.)

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Apr 25, 10 10:17 AM
For everyone thinks the game is too short- play it in Novel mode. Quite good actually.

Go to: