gailsgame
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

Help with strategy of this game

[Post New]by gailsgame on Apr 24, 10 9:48 AM
Hi everyone. I bought this game some time ago and I tried to play it but failed. I ended up home being a candle maker before turning 19.

I'd like to give it another go. So I'm asking for general role playing tips as the walkthroughs I've read give you the recipes and specific endings which I'd rather find out on my own, but not a "the end" so quickly this time. It's the first role playing game I've tried.

I don't understand if I should be trying different jobs to build up all skills, or sit at one job that I find that I am good at and be happy with that. If so, if I work at that one job does it ever turn into a better job and more adventures, or do I need to go outside onto the path and try and enter other areas to find endings. I'm really confused, so any help in ways to play the game would be appreciated.

emmychann
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

Re:Help with strategy of this game

[Post New]by emmychann on Apr 24, 10 11:37 AM
this topic might help:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/87605.page

you need to keep your dream up if you don't want the game to end early with a bad ending. it's fine to try lots of different things but you need to make sure you can do them, if you try a new job and your skills are so low that it's really hard to succeed at it you should go find a way to build up your skills before trying that job again. if you keep failing at everything your character gets depressed and the game ends.

it's very different from a traditional roleplaying game, it's more of a character building game. you have to think about keeping your character happy while you're turning her into a hero or whatever.

so, like, if you try the blacksmith job and you're terrible at it, the blacksmith will probably tell you that you're not strong enough for that job. if you can find a class to raise your strength, then when you go back and try the blacksmith job again you won't fail so much.

which means you might need to do an easy job in order to build up enough money to take a class to raise your skills so you can do a harder job. it gets complicated. that's how the strategy works.

gailsgame
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by gailsgame on Apr 24, 10 12:56 PM
Thanks for your help.

I've been trying different things again and the worst that can happen is it ends and I start again, again.

I kept an eye on the dreams, and I go back to the one job I do well at nearly every day to get that dream level back up, sleep at Mom's and then go and try a few other things again.

I read about the cheat where you can live longer than the 3 years. I'd love to do that as I totally suck at the game so I need longer than 3 years.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Apr 24, 10 1:10 PM
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/84411.page

That might also help with your game. Just look my posts near the end. They're the longest ones in the thread.

gailsgame
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by gailsgame on Apr 25, 10 7:50 AM
Thank you so much eddyatwork.

Very helpful tips to play this game. I read all the tips and will try to build stamina feeding the sheep (I think it was sheep - don't have the game open), then try my hand at one job. At the moment my character seems to have 6/7 good days at the fashion store, so I had left her working there but I didn't know if that was it. Does she just work there for her 3 years, or once the skills build up does the job & opportunities there change?

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Apr 25, 10 2:07 PM
To be honest I'm not sure which jobs eventually lead to bigger and better things. You're best off experimenting with each. The best thing to do though is stick with it and not be afraid to use the stamina and concentration buttons if needed.

emmychann
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by emmychann on Apr 25, 10 4:13 PM
some jobs will open up new jobs if you work there long enough but not all of them, most jobs you'll just want to work at long enough to get the money and the skills so that you can go do a different job. you do NOT want to focus on just one job for the whole three years, but you want to spend enough time at the job to do well before moving on to a better one.

working at weaving also means you can buy new clothes at a discount so you can dress up and that will raise your stats more too. if you work at the dress store and then buy a charm-boost dress then when you go to do a job that uses charm you'll have an advantage.

definitely do use the buttons for exertion and concentration to make sure you succeed, dream goes up best if you succeed every day, and it goes down a bunch if you don't succeed at all. so if you try a new job and you're not good at it it can be worthwhile to press the buttons a lot to make sure you succeed one day out of the week, so that she doesn't think she's a complete failure and get really depressed.

gailsgame
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by gailsgame on Apr 29, 10 9:24 AM
Thanks everyone. I was using the buttons to get better results.

I think I might try Aveyond. I've never played a role playing game before, so maybe that sounds a little more easier to follow??

I like the sims, my tribe type games. I used to like the VV series too, but they have all got a little similar and are now a bit boring & don't move fast enough for me. I enjoy games that I can sit back and watch a little though, instead of fast paced timed games. I also don't like HOGs, so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have Plant Tycoon, Fish Tycoon, VV 1 - 3 (don't like 4), Virtual Families & My Tribe.

emmychann
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by emmychann on Apr 29, 10 10:39 AM
try aveyond if you want, it's a fun game, but it's completely different kind of game than this is. aveyond is just about going from place to place fighting monsters, there's no sim aspect to it. you have to be active all the time. in that game you just keep going forward and fighting bigger and bigger monsters until you finally reach the end. this game you're supposed to play many times to find all the secrets and all the endings. they're not the same sort of game.

if you like sitting back a bit, have you played Avalon? it's very pretty. it's similar to the vv/tribe games in some ways but it's fairies and they don't die.

gailsgame
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by gailsgame on Apr 30, 10 8:09 AM
Thanks again emmychann. I don't like fighting monsters lol, so I'll stick with Cute Knight Kingdom. I like building up the skills, so I'm sure with a few more tries I'll be much better at it!

Oh meant to say I tried Avalon and it wouldn't run on my PC. I kept getting an error when I tried to open the game. I also tried Little Folk of Fairie without any luck!

Edited on 04/30/2010 at 8:10:26 AM PST

kit1717
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by kit1717 on Nov 23, 11 10:22 PM
gailsgame wrote:
I like the sims, my tribe type games. I used to like the VV series too, but they have all got a little similar and are now a bit boring & don't move fast enough for me. I enjoy games that I can sit back and watch a little though, instead of fast paced timed games. I also don't like HOGs, so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have Plant Tycoon, Fish Tycoon, VV 1 - 3 (don't like 4), Virtual Families & My Tribe.

I like the games you list, so you might like Life Quest. It has a definite progression, but with lots of possibilities for how to get there. It takes playing multiple times to figure out the best strategy to use. You even get to decide whether you want to strive for the shortest time to conclusion or for obtaining the most points along the way--or even for collecting the most wealth by the end. I like to strive for the shortest overall time to best every rival on the first try.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 10:50:18 PM PST

Go to: