CE?

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

CE?

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 18, 17 12:40 AM
For a TM game?

Sorry, but for me, there is no TM game worth CE money ---- and this one doesn't even list the "extras" that are part of a CE offering.

Not a good trend for TM fans, IMO.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

Re:CE?

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jul 18, 17 1:22 AM
Yep, no kidding. Not even in wide screen for pete's sake. That's just simple programming in 2017. This game is just a re-hash of, oh heck, can't remember the name of it, some princess running around, but now we're an archaeologist, running around in exactly the same fashion performing exactly the same tasks. Find it hard to believe that this made it past the screeners as a suitably marketable CE. Sad.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 18, 17 6:26 AM
Sorry but I disagree. There are/were some excellent TM games worthy of CE status; the Royal Envoy series immediately comes to mind. Highly re-playable, 30 bonus levels, a built in SG and the option to play it all again in hard mode to challenge yourself. The bonus levels had no guide; you had to work those out for yourself. Beautiful graphics too. There's no question those games were well worth the extra money.

I've bought several CE versions of TM games, the last one being Rescue Team 7. For me it was well worth the extra cost; I'd rather pay more for a game with replay value than for a HOPA that gets played once and deleted, especially those with little or no challenge.

The amount of TM CE's is minimal when compared to CE HOPA's; there are too few of them in my opinion. Whether this game is worth it's CE status is up to the individual but to say no TM game is worth CE money is a sure way to deter developers from making them.

beckins
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Not as a CE

[Post New]by beckins on Jul 18, 17 7:01 AM
Fun game but nothing special. Even the write up on it lists bonuses such as "speed up work, stop time, fast run." These bonuses have been around for a long time. I look forward to the SE version as this game DOES have a relaxed/untimed mode which, due to age and ability, is just right for me. Just not enough to pay a CE price for me but for those out there looking for extended game play, this should be a fun addition to your library of games.

georgiarealist
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by georgiarealist on Jul 18, 17 11:20 AM
This one goes on my list to buy when there's a sale, unless there's a SE version that comes out first. Can't see any extras that would make this worth the CE price, but I do enjoy games like this.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 18, 17 11:59 AM
angelfish106 wrote:Sorry but I disagree. There are/were some excellent TM games worthy of CE status; the Royal Envoy series immediately comes to mind. Highly re-playable, 30 bonus levels, a built in SG and the option to play it all again in hard mode to challenge yourself. The bonus levels had no guide; you had to work those out for yourself. Beautiful graphics too. There's no question those games were well worth the extra money.

I've bought several CE versions of TM games, the last one being Rescue Team 7. For me it was well worth the extra cost; I'd rather pay more for a game with replay value than for a HOPA that gets played once and deleted, especially those with little or no challenge.

The amount of TM CE's is minimal when compared to CE HOPA's; there are too few of them in my opinion. Whether this game is worth it's CE status is up to the individual but to say no TM game is worth CE money is a sure way to deter developers from making them.

I will agree that the RE games were, indeed, CE worthy. However, as they were released (not at BF) they were initially available for $4.99, and that was a real bargain.
So I exclude them from the run-of-the-mill, very plain games like this one.

And I also agree with what you said about HOPA CEs as well ---- they are alsp too costly, IMO. I will never pay more than 65% off for a game at BF, anyway.

And so far as deterring developers from making them, I disagree. What it should do is make developers realize they need to vastly improve their product so that players are happy to pay the price being asked, instead of grinding out the cookie-cutter stuff we are being overwhelmed with. That goes for ALL games, including TM and HOPAs, and if they are deterred from making games because a player has an issue concerning price vs. product offered ---- oh, well.

After all, the only real way we, as players, can speak to the developers is with our wallets/pocketbooks. Supporting games of low quality only encourages the production of more low (at best, average) quality games instead of real winners like RE

So I will amend my statement to say that "generally speaking", there are no TM games being offered now or recently that are worth CE money. And, sorry to say, that includes this weak offering that doesn't even bother to list any CE bling on its store page.

karenmusik
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by karenmusik on Jul 18, 17 12:21 PM
kgustavson wrote:Yep, no kidding. Not even in wide screen for pete's sake. That's just simple programming in 2017. This game is just a re-hash of, oh heck, can't remember the name of it, some princess running around, but now we're an archaeologist, running around in exactly the same fashion performing exactly the same tasks. Find it hard to believe that this made it past the screeners as a suitably marketable CE. Sad.

Exactly the same as the Gnomes Garden games except now we're an archaeologist. Fun game with great touch screen sensitivity, but not worth a CE. I'll wait for the SE and use a free game code.

[Post New]by nursefree_spirit on Jul 18, 17 1:30 PM
were there any bonus levels or just the straight 50

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jul 18, 17 10:31 PM
Hi Angelfish - I'm in agreement with cbtx too; there are many good TM games (I'm going to throw all the Emily games in here too which I adore; even the spin-offs) and of course MKFTP but I don't think there was ever a CE for that series? Any who, this one just seemed to be another Gnomes Garden (thanks karenmusik !) which I enjoy as an SE but has little CE value to me.

But that's what makes the world go 'round so all who do so, enjoy!

Edited on 07/18/2017 at 10:31:46 PM PST

Bonz54
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Bonz54 on Jul 21, 17 10:32 AM
I like TM games but I agree that this one is not worthy of paying the extra for CE. There is no real feature like bonus games that warrant paying extra. This game is fairly challenging but it would be helpful to at least identify readily what the extra bonus icon is for e.g, time stop.
I like some of the TM games, but lately adding the CE hasn't been worth it. Rescue 7 for example provided some bonus games at least but the game itself isn't as good as some of the prior Rescue games. Think I'll wait for the standard version if TM keeps this up.
I don't think anyone really wants to pay for CE just for screensavers and concept art.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 22, 17 3:39 AM
kgustavson wrote:Hi Angelfish - I'm in agreement with cbtx too; there are many good TM games (I'm going to throw all the Emily games in here too which I adore; even the spin-offs) and of course MKFTP but I don't think there was ever a CE for that series? Any who, this one just seemed to be another Gnomes Garden (thanks karenmusik !) which I enjoy as an SE but has little CE value to me.

It's really irrelevant whether or not there was a CE for a particular TM game; the point I was trying to make is that to say no TM game is worth CE money is the same as saying no HOPA is worth CE money. It's up to the individual as to what they think is worth paying extra for.

I don't often buy HOPA CE's nowadays but not because of the extras; mostly they're superfluous to requirements anyway, apart from the SG and the bonus chapter. The Royal Envoy series had little in the way of extras and yet the CE's sold in droves. Why? Because people were willing to pay the extra money for a quality game with a strategy guide and bonus levels.

The MKFTP games didn't have CE's but very few games did back when they were first released. One of the issues with CE's now is that there are too many of them and most are just not worth the extra money, regardless of genre. Personally I liked this game but in this case it doesn't seem to be worth the extra money so I will wait for the SE. That doesn't mean to say no TM game is worthy of CE money; there will be others that are. And I think the very early Emily games may have had a 'Premium Edition' but the later ones didn't and just as well; they ended up being all the same and I only ever bought a couple of them.

Each to his own, as they say.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 22, 17 3:44 AM
kgustavson wrote:Yep, no kidding. Not even in wide screen for pete's sake. That's just simple programming in 2017. This game is just a re-hash of, oh heck, can't remember the name of it, some princess running around, but now we're an archaeologist, running around in exactly the same fashion performing exactly the same tasks. Find it hard to believe that this made it past the screeners as a suitably marketable CE. Sad.

The game plays in wide screen on my monitor, so perhaps it's not the programming of the game but your PC set-up that's the issue. And if someone hasn't played 'Gnomes Garden', this game wouldn't simply be a 're-hash' of it

Edited on 07/22/2017 at 3:45:47 AM PST

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jul 23, 17 11:09 PM
angelfish106 wrote:

The game plays in wide screen on my monitor, so perhaps it's not the programming of the game but your PC set-up that's the issue. And if someone hasn't played 'Gnomes Garden', this game wouldn't simply be a 're-hash' of it

Widescreen means the entire playing field fills the screen, not bordered by filigree in order to fill the screen. Good grief, we get it - you like this game; please get your dander down for those of us who don't.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jul 24, 17 1:14 AM
angelfish106 wrote:
kgustavson wrote:Hi Angelfish - I'm in agreement with cbtx too; there are many good TM games (I'm going to throw all the Emily games in here too which I adore; even the spin-offs) and of course MKFTP but I don't think there was ever a CE for that series? Any who, this one just seemed to be another Gnomes Garden (thanks karenmusik !) which I enjoy as an SE but has little CE value to me.

It's really irrelevant whether or not there was a CE for a particular TM game; the point I was trying to make is that to say no TM game is worth CE money is the same as saying no HOPA is worth CE money. It's up to the individual as to what they think is worth paying extra for.

I don't often buy HOPA CE's nowadays but not because of the extras; mostly they're superfluous to requirements anyway, apart from the SG and the bonus chapter. The Royal Envoy series had little in the way of extras and yet the CE's sold in droves. Why? Because people were willing to pay the extra money for a quality game with a strategy guide and bonus levels.

The MKFTP games didn't have CE's but very few games did back when they were first released. One of the issues with CE's now is that there are too many of them and most are just not worth the extra money, regardless of genre. Personally I liked this game but in this case it doesn't seem to be worth the extra money so I will wait for the SE. That doesn't mean to say no TM game is worthy of CE money; there will be others that are. And I think the very early Emily games may have had a 'Premium Edition' but the later ones didn't and just as well; they ended up being all the same and I only ever bought a couple of them.

Each to his own, as they say.

I really don't understand what your particular problem is or why you are singling me out which is a forum no-no. The whole point of it all is that all games are subjective and we all have our opinions of gameplay, storyline, etc and then we all get to voice our opinions on the subject. Is this not clear? That we all have our opinions?

JVC0119
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by JVC0119 on Sep 6, 17 2:58 AM
So the "stop time" bonus was it for the CE? Wish I'd know that.

Was there anything else besides this? I played it all hoping there were extra levels at the end or something.

I too enjoyed Royal Envoy (and Campgrounds) CE, the extra levels after the main game made it worth it.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Sep 10, 17 6:03 PM
JVC0119 wrote:So the "stop time" bonus was it for the CE? Wish I'd know that.

Was there anything else besides this? I played it all hoping there were extra levels at the end or something.

I too enjoyed Royal Envoy (and Campgrounds) CE, the extra levels after the main game made it worth it.

I bought the CE because I liked the gameplay and bought it during a 2 for 1 sale. The other game I bought was one I would have paid full price for, so I'm still not too upset about buying this CE. I don't know what the SE includes, so some of these things may be in that version, too.

That said... Trust me, there is nothing special about the CE. Here's what I have in the CE:

1) The Extras consist of music and concept art. That's it.

2) There are still 49 levels. I'm on 42 right now, so if more levels magically appear when I finish 49, I'll edit this, but I'll be very surprised if any do.

3) There are trophies to earn, though they may be in the SE, too.

4) There is apparently a Stop Time bonus, but it may be available in the SE, too. You don't even get to see that this bonus exists if you're playing in casual mode (untimed). It never shows up at all. Therefore, you can't get the trophy for it. Strangely, though, you do get the Speed Workers and Speed Construction bonuses when playing in casual mode and can get the trophies for using them. Seriously, what difference does it make speeding up the workers or construction if it's untimed? So, if they are going to let you get two of those trophies, then why not all three - or none. Either option would make more sense.

I can't think of anything else that wouldn't be in the SE, too, so hopefully that will help anyone who's on the fence about which to buy. My advice: go with the SE.

Go to: