bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Master Wu and the Glory of the Ten Powers

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 26, 10 3:30 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Master Wu and the Glory of the Ten Powers? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

Edited on 04/26/2010 at 3:30:32 AM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Master Wu and the Glory of the Ten Powers

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 26, 10 4:28 AM
Just finished the demo. Pretty sure I'm buying this one.

I love the oriental music and scenes. The items are not from the same warehouse as every other hidden object game, so that's a nice change of pace too.

I think the mini-games are skip-able, but did not try to skip any. So far they have been different from the usual, somewhat, and not too frustrating.

No timer, as far as I could tell. Hidden objects are often sized up or down - I know that drives some fishies nuts, but for me it's an observation. Objects are a bit hard to find, but hints and clues have been adequate and recharge in a reasonable time. Did not get stuck - clues did help me to progress at times.

The English is a little off at times, but that just makes it feel more exotic imo, so far.

Definitely worth demo-ing.

Edited on 04/26/2010 at 4:35:55 AM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Apr 26, 10 5:06 AM
Well I got in and I got out just as quick. One thing I really don't like about some HOGS is that you can just point and click randomly on items without getting a penalty. Why bother looking at the list???!!
So right away it was a NO BUY for me.
Hope tomorrow is a better day for games.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Apr 26, 10 5:08 AM
Grainy graphics and lame game play on my end. No challenge whatsoever and have uninstalled with no intent to purchase.

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Apr 26, 10 5:11 AM
I'm 50/50 about this game. I did enjoy it, though a lot of the puzzles are very much 'trial and error' rather than 'logic'. I got a fair way into the 3rd (or maybe 4th) chapter in my hour's demo.

The spelling mistakes grated a little at times, and some of the objects were just annoying (someone mentioned the fortune cookie on a screen with 5 stacked cookies as part of the image - no, it was a small one on its own - and 'wood' when you are looking at a wooden table-top), but other than that I found it quite fun.

I'm not sure if I'll throw a credit at it immediately, but I think I'd happily do so at some point.

Edited on 04/26/2010 at 5:11:56 AM PST

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Apr 26, 10 8:20 AM
First, let me say that I started off making a BIG assumption about this game -- that it would have a martial art them -- thus, making me look forward to playing. BUT, this was not the case. Or, if it was, I missed it.

Usually, I start off with what I like about a gme, but with this one, I must admit that there was little if anything that I enjoyed about this game. Since I always like to look at things from "the cup is always half full," I will give it some credit for potential.

"My Didn't Like Some Much" -- While I don't get put off by grammer so much, I do get put off when simple words are missed spelled. For example, "reharge" for "recharge." And in the first dialogue box. The graphics are not that great. They appear almost smeared. For the most part, hidden objects are tiny (which is smaller that small -- LOL). For example a "raisin" is almost like a dot on the screne. The hidden objects often repeat themselves and for apparently no reason. How many times are you going to look for a peanut? When things go into the inventory list, the list stays on the screen until you close it. The game has mini-games, but almost too many. The instructions for them are at a minimum. And what about the Ten Powers, what are they? Where are they? Oh! what about the storyline, what is it again?

This game does not get my approval, and needless to say, no purchase for me. out of five. I'll just have to wait for tomorrows game to see what the Fishes have to offer!!

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Apr 26, 10 8:27 AM
I'll be kind and simply describe this as a very rudimentary attempt at an HOG. The English translation is on a par with someone just beginning a language course. The graphics are quite basic, and the interactive features are not well-refined. On the plus side, you do have the option of a timed or untimed version, the hints are unlimited, and the mini-games have a "skip" option. Overall, not up to Felix's usual high standards, at all. I won't be buying this even when it becomes a Daily Deal.

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Apr 26, 10 9:19 AM
This game was AWFUL, I didn't even finish the demo. Not only can you not easily see the objects, they are tiny once again, figuring out the clues is next to impossible. It would be seriously overpriced as a daily deal!

No thanks on this one

Edited on 04/26/2010 at 9:20:28 AM PST

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Apr 26, 10 9:31 AM
Not sure here. Very annoying at times. The spelling is way off, for instance, one of the objects on the list was a Sigar. Now, this being a "foreign" type game, I figured it was something off the wall that I wasn't familiar with. After searching for a while, and being in the demo, I hit the Hint button only to discover it was, in fact, a Cigar! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! Anyway, not sure I'll purchase this one.

BFG, having read several reviews, a lot of us would love for you to get it together!
This is a great game sight for several reasons; but lately the games have either had too many tech problems, were too short, or just plain boring.

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Apr 26, 10 9:46 AM
Not my cup of tea! The game is well drawn, and the music is appropriate for the game, the language translation is at times charming, but not always. The inventory page is annoying because it won't stay open when you use several items from it. I also found the instruction part to be a pain because I always had to click the continue bar not just anywhere on the screen. The sizes of the items were not always true to clue so it gets tricky. The puzzles were easy to figure out most of the time. It's just not my kind of game .
Nana

tinkz2007
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by tinkz2007 on Apr 26, 10 9:52 AM
Just didnt like this one, skipped most of the mini games!

I usually love these types of games, but this one just didn't "grab" my attention - couldnt even be bothered to finish the trial.

Definately will NOT be buying this game.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Apr 26, 10 10:07 AM
Im sorry BFG, but seriously this month has been a bust as far as the selection of game selection and this particular one gets the award for being the lamest game I have yet to play. Although I find HOGs sometimes tedious, I do play the old ones that I have and to name a few, Hidden Relics, Scrubs, Agatha Christies, Lost Tombs etc etc, they were fun and challenging HOGs. This however is by far very poor in quality what with the graphics and the music and the mini-games. I dont mind challenging items to find but when everything is a blur due to poor graphics, you have no choice but to use your hint button. There is absolutely no substance to this game and Im sorry but after 25 minutes of playing, I just deleted it and hope that tomorrow will make up for today. This gets 5 thumbs down from me. Cheers everyone and Happy gaming

Edited on 04/26/2010 at 10:08:34 AM PST

[Post New]by buttercup06 on Apr 26, 10 10:22 AM
I can't even START the game. Help.

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Apr 26, 10 10:50 AM
I made it through chapter 5 during the trial period, but I have no idea of the total length of this game or how far I had progressed towards my "overall goal", which I suppose was to find the sword (or what it was) with ten powers...

What I liked:
- The colours were bright and clear, and the items were for the most part not too hard to find. (The fact that I made it through 5 chapters without having any hints speaks for itself... I usually depend on hints a lot.. )
- The scenery was pretty and the setting unusual, and it was a refreshing change from the usual archeological sites, murky caves, jungles or ghostly houses.
- No penalty for mis-clicks, which was a necessity since the hint button only worked during the first chapter.
- There was a skip button for all the puzzles that activated very quickly, and the hints (although only through chapter 1) were recharging at an acceptable speed.
- The instructions for what we were supposed to do next, (aka "use chopsticks on bowl" or "use puzzle piece on box" were mostly quite clear.

What I didn't like:
- After chapter 1, the hint button stopped working forever, and no amount of clicking could make it work again, so I had to finish the rest of the chapters without the help of a single hint. That got quite frustrating after a while.
- The story - or lack of story. At the beginning a sword of ten powers is mentioned, and I suppose that's what we went looking for, but besides telling us to investigate various sites, our leader(or whatever she was) gave us no further info on why we were ushered from place to place, or who those various people were. There was no logic in why we were trudging through the locations or any explanation on what we were looking for or why - so by the end of chapter 5 I had no idea about my progress or whether I had found out anything useful at all.
- I played the English version and the translation was faulty. I don't care about a mis-spelling in a narrative text, but when we search for items described by key words, it is important that these key words are accurate. Once again I will stress the necessity for game developers who are not native English speakers, to use an English proof reader before launching their game on the market.

All in all, the game wasn't too bad, but I won't be buying it because of the lack of story and progression, and because of the not-working hint function.

Edited on 04/26/2010 at 10:56:56 AM PST

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Apr 26, 10 10:54 AM
Did not like this one. Just got stupidly confused most of the time. Not going to buy and ended the demo b/4 time was up.

giggyann
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by giggyann on Apr 26, 10 11:14 AM
Well I guess I won't be even trying this game because of all the bad reviews. But I was wondering did anyone beta test this game? Don't they beta test all games before offering them to us? Just wondering.
giggyann

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Apr 26, 10 11:37 AM
They beta test GiggyAnn, but don't always listen to the comments of the testers. At least that's been my experience.

There's a lot of games coming out of Europe and Asia these days and every one of them seems to have some type of language problem.

I don't understand why BFG doesn't demand an english proof reading before accepting these games. Make it standard and developers will do it. In fact, I'm certain that there are loads of fishies here who would happily proof games for developers.

The language stuff does really bother me but that wasn't my only complaint with this game. Some objects were incredibly small, even with my mouse magnifier on. Mostly I just clicked around until I found everything. Boring.

Oh, and there is a penalty for mis-clicking if you play on timed mode. When you first start the game it does have the option to check the "timed" box. It's left in untimed mode but I checked the Timed one just to see what would happen. There is a small time penalty if you click wrong too many times in a row. Unfortunately, those mis-clicks also seem to include trying to close the inventory and clicking through dialogue boxes. Not cool.

Anyway, it's a no-buy for me. Sigh.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Apr 26, 10 11:58 AM
I just finished the demo and will buy this game if it becomes a daily deal but wouldn't pay full price for it. It seems very amateurish to me. One thing I do have to comment on, I'm still laughing over having to find a hair in my soup. The english translation is awkward at best and I had to skip one mini game because once I placed the balls on the beam they didn't give me credit for winning and since nothing fell off I couldn't move them to satisfy the game. My only option at that point was to skip the game. I found that a bit frustrating. I had no problem picking up and using keys. The secret is to drag them instead of just clicking on them.

[Post New]by brendamac on Apr 26, 10 12:24 PM
ahhhhhh! Hated this game, I played 5 minutes and deleted it ASAP.

[Post New]by azjudiet on Apr 26, 10 12:45 PM
WHY DON' T I HAVE A RED TENT IN MY GAME?

Go to: