Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Realm: Guardian of Flames here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 30, 17 12:41 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 07/30/2017 at 9:07:50 AM PST

bfgIlinalta
3,807 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Realm: Guardian of Flames here.

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Jul 30, 17 9:07 AM
Howdy Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Realm: Guardian of Flames here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Realm: Guardian of Flames.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. In the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

And, finally, please feel free to PM one of our active Moderators if there are any further questions. We're all happy to help out and listen as best we can.

bfgIlinalta

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Jul 30, 17 11:09 AM
Let me start by saying SPOILER ALERT, though not beyond anything you'd experience if you do the demo, as that's all I've done. This is one of those games that didn't do it for me as a CE, that I figured I'd revisit as an SE. Having just done so, I'm regrettably still not interested. While part of me would like to see how long I get to be a dragon, the gameplay I've experienced thus far was boring to me. If it keeps going the way it's been going, I fear even playing as a dragon will be dull. I found the pace slow, & the activities not especially interesting or challenging. There weren't many mini-games; of the two I distinctly remember, the only real challenge was in figuring out the mechanics of them, so no replay value there. The HO scenes mainly rely on moving things to find other things, though there's one based on "find & replace" that was a bit more fun. The graphics were neither great nor poor; the storyline is apparently another "save the world" variant, & none of the characters introduced thus far has seemed interesting to me, which is unfortunate, as the characters are often a pallid storyline's saving grace. Overall, this demo just offered nothing that "set the hook" for me, but as that's a subjective kind of thing, I always (well, almost always ) recommend doing the demo, & judging for yourself.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jul 30, 17 11:39 AM
Mad Head games never disappoint me, and right from the get go, this has been one of my favorite MH games as far as storylines go. The last couple of games in this series have been a wee bit too easy for my personal tastes, and some of the characters tend to be a bit hokey at times, but if you play this game from the beginning, I'm sure you will enjoy the storyline as well. This game is a solid game throughout, nothing spectacular, but decent enough. I purchased this game in the CE version during a 2 for 1 sale, however, this Standard Edition version is the better value, not just because of the price, but because the CE extras aren't worthy of twice as much money. Here's a recap of my review so you can decide which version, if either is right for you:
Queen Valera is the last remaining Mage of the Firewielders, sworn to protect their world from evil, by harnessing the elements of nature to cast spells. The first Mage of the Firewielders, Erasmus, was the Master of eternal flame. Because of his unique abilities and life commitment, the Firewielder lineage became the strongest of all Mages. Erasmus was the only Mage capable of closing the seal that was breached, between our world and the Dark Realm, which allowed Azomond the Dark Lord to enter the Kingdom. The Dark Lord has been banished to the depths of the Dark Realm for a long time, long enough to gather an army of evil minions, and plan his next resurrection, Vae Victis!
Yes, this story has been told a thousand times, in a thousand different scenarios, but somehow, Mad Head games was able to pull this one off, making the plot just interesting enough to play it for the 1,001th time. I Beta tested this game a while back, and they did change one Collector's Edition collectible, which was a colorful Leaf in the beta version, but is now a Jigsaw Puzzle piece. I'm not sure why they made this change, perhaps the colorful Leaf was too apparent, but I actually preferred the leaf over the bland jigsaw puzzle piece. I also found the graphics to be crisper and more colorful, than in the beta version. The Collector's Edition also offers a Morphing Object within the Hidden Objects Scenes, which is a feature I love, but hate when only offered in the HOP's, mainly because I get too wrapped up in the scene and forget to look for them, and you can't go back to find them once the HOS is over.
The Hidden Object Scenes are in classic Mad Head form, they always have the same style to them with the same music, but in a good way. Mad Head always has some interesting scenes with interesting interactions. A couple of my favorite scenes required interacting with trap doors, sliding figurines, and even opening a skeleton dinosaurs mouth to find different symbols, and another scene where you had to pick up items in one cubicle, open up another, and replace the items in three different drawer pull outs. There were also Interactive List Finds that left fragments behind to collect, finding 4 of each symbol on each page of a story, and even Spot the Difference between a painting and the scene itself. One scene I thought was actually challenging was finding valves and gadgets that matched the silhouetted shapes shown on a panel, and some of the valves were hard to find because there were so many similar shaped valves. Most of the HOS have a Morphing Object available which is another typical feature for Mad Head.
The Mini Games are decent, and doable, ranging from super simple to medium difficulty. Below are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the demo:
1) Recreate the constellations in the clue by selecting a point of light and placing it on an available spot.
2) Recreate the tiles based on the clue shown, using the press to to form and forge the tile pieces.
3) Use a map to navigate the labyrinth, using objects you find to interact with different tasks.
4) Repeat the sequence order of symbols as demonstrated.
5) Pick the lock by using rotational arrows.
6) Spot the difference between the painting and the scene.
DARK REALM GAMES AVAILABLE

-Guardian of Flames
-Lord of the Winds
-Princess of Ice
-Queen of Flames
The Collector's Edition has Wallpapers, Concept Art pictures, 13 replayable Hidden Object Scenes, 12 Achievements to earn, Collectible Jigsaw Puzzle pieces, Morphing Objects within the HOS's, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy!

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Jul 30, 17 12:42 PM
Post Script: I just got done doing a review for the sales page, & right after I submitted it, chanced to glance up & observe that I'm just one punch away from a coupon. Being that there's only two days left in the month, & there's even a sale on, I paused...should I reconsider? But in the final analysis, even those factors weren't enough to make me hit the "buy" button. I kind of had to laugh, as I could've just said that as my review, instead of blathering on about mini-games, HO scenes, & so on...but that's life, eh? Now, time for some . Have a nice Sunday, all.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jul 30, 17 2:16 PM
@nextgengranny

-I agree with you that this game is too easy thus things move too slowly, and the last two games in this series seem to be geared that way, however....try the demos of the first and second game and see if you don't like the storyline and gameplay a little better. I also agree that the CE isn't worth the price because there's nothing interesting there. If you want to play a game that has an excellent storyline, one that I've never seen repeated, try my favorite game the original Phantasmat. It's an older game but the story is fantastic, and the bonus chapter is almost as good

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Jul 30, 17 2:59 PM
@ pennmom36, Thanks for the tips! I'm always looking for new games to play (as in, new to me), which can be a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack, given the number of options available on this site. One thing that works for me is, if I notice someone who does a fair amount of reviewing seems to have similar tastes to mine, I view their profile by clicking on their name to the left of one of their reviews. I've discovered some good games - & even better, good series - I would have missed otherwise by doing this, such as the Reflections of Life & Endless Fables series. As for your specific suggestions, I do have the Queen of Flames CE in this series, & couple in the Phantasmat series...I keep meaning to check out the original, as I've heard good things about it, but I keep forgetting to do so (happens more & more at my age ). I'm especially interested in CEs that offer good bonus play, & I have no problem w/ games being older, as some of those rank among my favorites; so I think I'll go demo that now (before it slips my mind again! ). Again, thanks for the suggestions. Cheers!

Go to: