Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Leaves: The Journey here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 31, 17 12:42 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 07/31/2017 at 5:17:28 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Leaves: The Journey here.

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Jul 31, 17 4:37 AM
I tried, I really did, but I guess I am not smart enough or patient enough to master how to even play this game. Admittedly, the images are beautiful, music is wonderful but how, when and what to do eludes me besides the basics of "find the leaves". I shall wait and see what others have to say and if informed, maybe try again.

[Post New]by BearCreekStables on Jul 31, 17 5:06 AM
I was having so much fun that I did a "oh no" when time was up. I love puzzles/mini games so this is my kind of game. It does combine some items to do things with that you find along the way. I found no instructions so you just have to take your time and play around with everything. I absolutely will purchase.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jul 31, 17 5:17 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Leaves: The Journey here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Leaves: The Journey.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jul 31, 17 5:29 AM
Perhaps I'm not smart enough for this game, but I couldn't figure it out at all. I'd really like something different, so perhaps I'll wait and see what others have to say before deleting it. It looks as though it would be quite restful to play - if I had any idea what I was supposed to do.

[Post New]by biblemasonman on Jul 31, 17 5:35 AM
jennsmom, I, too, was having a terrible time trying to figure this out. I looked on youtube and there are some walkthrough helps that really helped me know what I was trying to do. I don't think this is ever going to be an "easy" game, but at least now I have an idea. Hope this helps!

ladyblu11
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ladyblu11 on Jul 31, 17 6:45 AM
FINALLY, something different. I am so in love with this game. I at first thought I wouldn't be able to even play the game. But like others, I took a quick peek at youtube walkthroughs just enough to figure out how to actually play it. I admit, I do wish there were a few basics offered at the start of the game - more people would stay around to enjoy it.
Some tips to get started:
1. Objective: to find all the leaves that have scattered with the wind.
2. It's a side-scroller to start moving around (hover over the edges for left, right, up and down travel)
3. Pick up everything you come across - you will need them later to solve puzzles.

If you love puzzles, this is the game for you. It reminds me of the old game "Myst"

silver64
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by silver64 on Jul 31, 17 7:04 AM
Loving this .....demo flew by. Probably going to be a short game but that's only because these kind of games are.....

Cursor changes ever so slightly when an area is active...that certainly helped.

Silver

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jul 31, 17 10:02 AM
biblemasonman wrote:jennsmom, I, too, was having a terrible time trying to figure this out. I looked on youtube and there are some walkthrough helps that really helped me know what I was trying to do. I don't think this is ever going to be an "easy" game, but at least now I have an idea. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at the YouTube and try again.

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Jul 31, 17 12:31 PM
If you've ever played and enjoyed Samarost or Wogger or any game of that ilk, you will probably like Leaves: The Journey. It's a very different atmosphere than the usual HOG or Time Management. Take your time, think, and play with everything. Go back and forth and just enjoy the gameplay.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Jul 31, 17 1:38 PM
I didn't watch any Youtube yet , but I'm going to buy this gem. I know I'll need to think a lot, and 'll come to see this forum for any advice. Now I left the game trying to do a circle in some wall with faces, no sure what it's about, but as LadyLark said, I'll take my time, grab everything and go back and forth.

Enjoy ,
M.

DethRow
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by DethRow on Jul 31, 17 1:42 PM
LadyLark wrote:If you've ever played and enjoyed Samarost or Wogger or any game of that ilk, you will probably like Leaves: The Journey. It's a very different atmosphere than the usual HOG or Time Management. Take your time, think, and play with everything. Go back and forth and just enjoy the gameplay.

I agree. I still have the original Samarost on an old hard drive. I fell in love with that game so many years ago. This reminds me of that a lot.

kiddopal
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by kiddopal on Aug 1, 17 12:27 PM
This is an excellent game. I agree with earlier reviews that it is somewhat like MYST or Samarost. More like MYST in that it is a little difficult at times and it requires a lot of back and forth and returning to previous scenes. And as far as I could see there was no jump map. I did resort to You Tube twice to get help. But the game itself gives hints. Hit escape and then "need help' where there is a puzzle you need to solve each time you want a new hint. The puzzle is the same one with different configurations therefore different solutions. I really enjoyed this game and would love to get more of this type.

Pootie49
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Pootie49 on Aug 1, 17 7:18 PM
What a wonderful game. Puzzles range from pretty easy to a few head scratchers. I hope Big Fish continues to add more games like this one to their menu.
As someone already mentioned, there are plenty of You Tube videos out there for when you get stuck.
Absolutely loved this one!

LunaNik
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by LunaNik on Aug 1, 17 7:56 PM
I found it seriously disappointing that so many reviewers who have labeled themselves "experts" posted excoriating reviews of this game, simply because they personally found it too difficult for them.

This is an adventure game; they typically don't include strategy guides, explicit instructions, and hint buttons. You're required to be observant, take notes and make drawings, and experiment with the puzzles you encounter. No one holds your hand in adventure games.

If you dislike this type of game, don't play them. But don't complain that it's too hard, counsel other gamers not to bother trying it, downvote it because you couldn't figure it out, and demand that BFG not carry this type of game in the future. Quite a few of us like adventure games and wish there were more. And this one was excellent, BTW.

A charmingly surreal environment is the setting, and the goal is to find all the leaves belonging to the Treefruities' home tree. You'll need to pay attention to every detail, because clues for the various puzzles are everywhere...and so are the leaves. Some are in plain sight; others you don't get until you gather clues and solve a multi-level puzzle.

The puzzles include pattern recognition, color theory, deciphering symbols, determining the correct order of things, restoring complex images, and more. Quite a few of them are original, and the ones that are familiar have had their challenge level stepped up quite a bit.

There is a map, which notes where the leaves are located, but does not transport. However, each area includes a pylon which will transport you to all other areas...but you'll have to unlock each area first. Navigation is noted either by arrows at the edges of the screen, or by the cursor lighting up, which it does at doorways, ladders, staircases, and wherever the scene's design visibly changes.

The inventory is at the top of the screen. Move your mouse there, and a clickable button will drop down. Click it, and your inventory will drop down. Some items are usable; others are solely for informational purposes. And there's one item that is reusable wherever you like.

I found this game to be a breath of fresh air after so many nearly alike HOPAs, most of which provide no challenge at all. Hopefully, we'll see more from this dev, and many more games like this one.

KGDBLU
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by KGDBLU on Aug 1, 17 10:44 PM
LunaNik, people are allowed differing opinions on games and folks don't have to go by their reviews. However, to belittle people because they didn't like the game is rude and completely uncalled for.

Edited on 08/01/2017 at 10:47:26 PM PST

Kashmiraka
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by Kashmiraka on Aug 2, 17 6:57 AM
I loved this game sooo much, finished it in 2 days, couldn't stop playing! The length is quite long, I would estimate it took me about 8 to 10 hours to finish. There were only 2 puzzles I had to check You Tube for the solution, not bad considering there are loads of them! Also, if you need a hint, it doesn't come freely, you have yet another puzzle to complete to obtain it. It took me awhile to figure out, but, light bulb! You look at both circles which are black and white, combine each section and color in the big one, so if the top circle has a section that is black and the same section on the bottom circle is white, fill that section of the grid grey, if the top and bottom sections are both black, do black, if both white, do white, pretty easy after the first one.
I saw online there is a sequel, I do hope Big Fish offers it someday, best game I have played in a very long time! Oh, and don't get discouraged in the beginning, once you figure out how it works it gets a lot easier.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Aug 2, 17 8:24 AM
This is a little adventure gem! It is so rare to find a game that gives you the freedom to think. This is not a hard game if you just use your curiosity and common sense. The two times I struggled with a puzzle was because I had over thought them.
Before giving up pause and think about what is in front of you when confronted with a step. Most of the puzzles are variations on all we normally find in HOGS. The leaves that you collect are rarely hidden and once you figure out a step you will find that it was obvious. The fish in this pond are smart cookies. Don't give up. This isn't difficult just different. Well worth the effort.
I do wish these types of games were more common.

Enjoy!

A1psyko
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

OH MY GOODNESS.

[Post New]by A1psyko on Aug 2, 17 12:21 PM
I first reviewed this game after the demo. Thought about it and decided to buy. I was not disappointed. As with my first review, this is not an easy game. You have to play it. No hint, no skip, no guide (I must confess I did check out YouTube and it was a huge help). After finishing this game I think some of us have become complacent with a lot of the other offerings on BF. I loved this game, the graphics are great, didn't care too much for the music so I kept it on low however it is important to have the sound because there are little indicators that you were successful in some of the challenges. Your cursor does change slightly when you are near something you need to do. After playing you will also find "portal" flips that you can use to move around. You can easily go back and forth throughout the game. The leaves are sometimes hard to see and it is important that you use the little magnifier throughout the game on each screen. I really do recommend this game. If you are looking for a game with no hand holding and sparkles, this is it. I did have to keep paper and pen close by so I could write things down which helped. This is a great game! Finally a challenging game to play. If there truely is a sequel it will also be a definite buy for me.

agnesnic
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by agnesnic on Aug 2, 17 4:14 PM
kiddopal wrote:This is an excellent game. I agree with earlier reviews that it is somewhat like MYST or Samarost. More like MYST in that it is a little difficult at times and it requires a lot of back and forth and returning to previous scenes. And as far as I could see there was no jump map. I did resort to You Tube twice to get help. But the game itself gives hints. Hit escape and then "need help' where there is a puzzle you need to solve each time you want a new hint. The puzzle is the same one with different configurations therefore different solutions. I really enjoyed this game and would love to get more of this type.

I have tried to solve the hint puzzles but I have net succeeded - can you help? Also what are the faces to the right of the screen?

Go to: