Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: The White Lady Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 3, 17 12:42 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/03/2017 at 6:31:33 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: The White Lady Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Aug 3, 17 6:31 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Grim Tales: The White Lady Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Grim Tales: The White Lady Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: The White Lady Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Aug 3, 17 6:49 AM
Looks like little Billy has gone missing again! Even though this family has seen its fair share of ghostly encounters and paranormal troubles, Brandon chooses to send his son Billy, to a Boarding School that had experienced some questionable paranormal activity. The Evergreen Mansion was completely burned to the ground just five years ago, killing the entire Mansfield family. Rumors spread through the school even faster than the flames did, rumors of a ghostly apparition, rumors of the Lady in White, rumors that Laura Mansfield has returned! Is it a coincidence that a fire broke out at the Boarding School that once was the Mansfield Mansion, the same mansion that burned to the ground? Is it a coincidence that Billy and his best friend Sarah, disappeared on the night of the fire? One thing's for sure, the Lady in White has a message that's clear, "Don't touch the children!"
Grim Tales is one of my favorite storylines, I own and have played all 12 previous games. Although The White Lady isn't one of the best games in the series, it's still an awesome game. The storyline in this game is just a little too familiar, and the HOP's are a bit dull, but the puzzles are in abundance to help even out the game. I'm not sure why they chose to have Brandon's oldest son Billy, as the victim again, but perhaps the two storylines intertwine after the demo. In this Collector's Edition, there are Collectible Emblems, Morphing Objects and Portraits that give a background history about various areas of the Mansfield Mansion.
Anna Gray is a Private Detective with a unique ability to travel back in time. All she needs is a personal item from the victim, and she's whisked away, back in time,before the tragedy occurred. This part is never fully explained and I have sooo many questions! Does Anna actually disappear when she time travels, or does she just stand there looking all weird? How does Anna always manage to time travel to the perfect time frame, does she ever go back too far or not far enough? If all she has to do is touch a personal item to initiate the time travel, how does she keep from time traveling when she touches other items, does she wear gloves? A trip to the museum could be a nightmare for poor Anna! All questions aside, well, there is another unanswered question, does Anna take Daddy Richard's skull with her everywhere she goes, or does she just pop his skull into her purse, only when there's an investigation?
As I stated earlier, the Hidden Object Scenes aren't very creative, but honestly, this is a feature that needs to either be phased out, or reverted back to the good ole days when objects were actually "hidden" Nowadays, the HO's are just huge junkpiles, or cluttered items. The objects are all in plain sight, not cleverly blended into a normal scene. The HO's in this demo are mostly Interactive List finds, but there are also Silhouetted Shape finds, and uncovering Pairs of identical objects.
The Mini Games are entertaining, ranging from super simple to medium difficulty. Below are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the demo:
1) Assemble a puzzle by correctly placing torn fragments.
2) Move all dowels through their corresponding holes using directional arrows on the dowels.
3) Use clue to enter the code on the panel.
4) Place sliders next to their corresponding images, sliders can only move clockwise along the tracks.
5) Complete the photo album pictures by placing the correct piece from the left and place on the right.
6) Hit the apple target by clicking when the sliders are within the green zone.
7) Light all the circles around the board by matching 3 or more identical tiles in a column to remove them.
8) Reconstruct a diary page by selecting a piece of the page and placing it in an adjacent empty space, pieces can't move over each other.
9) Use the clue shown to land on the correct symbols using left and right directional buttons to look through the different symbols.
10) Select directional arrows to move the character through the maze, searching for levers to open other parts of the maze.
GRIM TALES GAMES AVAILABLE

-Bloody Mary (August '13) 4.3
-Color of Fright (November '14) 3.8
-Crimson Hollow (August '16) 4.1
-Graywitch (February '17) 4.0
-The Bride (November '11) 3.8
-The Final Suspect (May '15) 3.8
-The Heir (February '16) 4.3
-The Legacy (January '12) 4.6
-The Stone Queen (January '13) 3.9
-The Vengeance (May '14) 4.5
-The White Lady (August '17) n/a
-The Wishes (July '12) 4.5
-Threads of Destiny (October '15) 3.9
This Collector's Edition has 1 Screensaver, 8 Wallpapers, 8 Concept Art pictures, 5 Music Soundtracks 20 Achievements to earn, Archives, 36 Collectible Emblem pieces, Morphing Objects, 14 Portraits, a Secret Room, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy!

ark161
Clownfish
Clownfish
611 Posts

[Post New]by ark161 on Aug 3, 17 7:49 AM
Normally I like these games but this is probably a no go. The strategy guide editors need to double check their errors and go fix them.

Furryfury
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Furryfury on Aug 4, 17 1:48 AM
pennmom36 wrote:I own and have played all 12 previous games. Although The White Lady isn't one of the best games in the series, it's still an awesome game. The storyline in this game is just a little too familiar, and the HOP's are a bit dull, but the puzzles are in abundance to help even out the game.

I agree--I also own all games in this series, and while I have found some of this series' latest games somewhat tedious, I find this one is keeping my interest. I have always found the White Lady story to be an interesting one, though, so that probably helps.

The game runs smoothly and there is plenty to do--the gameplay isn't overshadowed by long cutscenes that keep popping up, and I am enjoying the scenery as well (I think this series does a very good job with scenery and graphics, but that's my opinion ).

Try it before you buy it, but I am having a good time with it.

P.S. I loved pennmom36's hilarious philosophical questions in the review. I have been wondering many of those same things myself!!!

Edited on 08/04/2017 at 1:51:08 AM PST

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Aug 4, 17 11:01 AM
I wanted to like this game but I was too creeped out by the ghost of her father popping up.

Nefersitra
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Nefersitra on Aug 5, 17 6:35 AM
Warning - Review contains Spoilers for the completed story and bonus chapter

Anna Grey is back using her ability to travel through time, changing the present to save her nephew's son aided by her father's ghost.

I liked the nod to Anna and Dorian's marriage at the start of the game (although, I'd have liked a few more maybe?) and I'm sure Richard is getting friendlier.

I enjoyed this game and found myself playing more of the mini-games than I normally do - there were only two I skipped completely, one because I just couldn't work out the correct sequence and was impatient to get to the next bit of the story and one because it was a type I can never do even following a walkthrough. The graphics are all in the same style and clear which I love, one of my pet hates is when there are realistic environments for the game but highly stylised/obviously cartoony characters, and the music and voices add to the atmosphere.

My biggest gripe is a small one with the main story. It was obvious about halfway into the demo that the White Lady was not the villain of the piece and was trying to protect the children and it made no sense for her to be jump-scaring Anna who had not done anything to threaten or endanger the children. However, I did jump at the jump scares in the demo so there is that.

I did like the way that Richard's musing that he'd never heard of the Count or Gabriel which was surprising because of the level of his dark magic power was explained in the Bonus chapter. The picture of Alister Dalimar appeared to be an Easter Egg type nod to MCF so the fact that Alister was involved in the plot was a nice touch. I also enjoyed finding out a little bit more about how Richard started down the route to dark magic.

I recommend this game.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Sep 4, 17 1:48 PM
I'm enjoying this game, but the incorrect clue at the beginning of the game was a bit off-putting. I had to use the guide for the correct code.
This old brain is having a bit of trouble remembering all of the collecables in each scene, but still enjoying the game. I'd recommend it, but try for yourself.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Feb 17, 18 12:18 PM
finished the guide and maps were helpful about 80% of the time.

Go to: