Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for 5 Star Rio Resort here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 7, 17 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/07/2017 at 5:05:28 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for 5 Star Rio Resort here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Aug 7, 17 5:05 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on 5 Star Rio Resort here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on 5 Star Rio Resort.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 7, 17 10:14 AM
Nice color, nice sound to a point. Sorry, but don't play timed or limited move games. No buy for me.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Aug 7, 17 11:22 AM
I usually don't like Limited Moves Match 3 games, but there's just something about Rio, that piqued my interest. This is a swap type Match 3 game, that can be played in a Normal or Casual Mode which gives you 25% more moves to complete each level. You can actually switch back and forth on any level because there is an option box at the bottom of the screen. The tiles are colorful and the music is nice, but I did find it to be repetitive after several levels.Any level can be replayed, and there is a meter at the top of the screen to show you when you will lose a star, according to how many moves remain.
Lucy Rich has been given the responsibility of building a luxury Hotel in Rio, by her father who hopes she will one day take over the business. Lucy has a tight budget, and must figure out a way to bring in customers to earn more money, so that she can reinvest the earnings to upgrade the Hotel. After building the Hotel, you will play Match 3 Games to earn more money, to build amenities such as a Bar, Pavilion, a swimming Pool and of course a Janitorial Maintenance Building. Some of the buildings will award you with a Bonus, such as a Hammer to destroy a tile of choice, from the Janitor's building, but it must be recharge after each use by collecting Hammer tiles. Once you build a new building, you get to play a game of Higher/Lower Solitaire game to earn coins. You can purchase new deck cards and backgrounds with the coins earned.
Large matches over 4 will earn you an Orange Juice Bomb on the board, that will explode to remove adjacent tiles and blockages when clicked on, without counting as a turn. I did notice however, that this feature doesn't always seem to give you the OJ bomb, but I couldn't figure out why. At one point I thought it had to be matches OVER 4, but even with matches of 5, 6 or even 3 vertically and 3 horizontally in a single move, wouldn't always trigger the feature, so I'm not sure if it is a glitch, or I didn't understand the requirements.
There are some unusual features like Chocolate blockades, where the chocolate begins to melt and spread all over the other tiles, and the usual blockades of Chains that require a specific tile match, or Crates and Ice Cubes that require matches to be made next to them, to destroy them. You will need to match specific tiles that are shown around each customer's profile picture, and make matches over all Sand filled cells. Some Sand filled cells are covered with Grass, and you'll have to make two matche on top of them, the first match will destroy the grass, the second match will destroy the sand filled cell.
I think one of the features I enjoyed the most, was the fact that the level layouts are so unique. The first several levels are fairly easy, but they quickly become more challenging, and I loved how well the storyline fits the tasks at hand, such as receiving a Hammer from the janitor, and playing Solitaire with him, or making matches yo fulfil the customer's desires. It isn't easy tying a storyline to a Match 3 game! If you don't mind a Limited Moves Match 3 game, this is a fantastic Match 3 game that's definitely worth considering, enjoy!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 8, 17 12:44 AM
I do mind limited moves in a M3 game, and therefore won't buy this game. Developers who don't give a choice of a relaxed/no limited moves mode are not doing themselves a favour, because they won't get as many of the game sold as they could have.

sapphire46
Manatee
Manatee
3,740 Posts

[Post New]by sapphire46 on Aug 8, 17 3:29 AM
Well said Valdy. Same goes for me. That's the first thing I look for, if it's not relaxed I don't read any further.

[Post New]by rokapublish on Aug 8, 17 3:57 AM
The game has an releaxe mode without move limits. Just click the "relaxe button" you can see in each level on the bottom. You'll love this game!

[Post New]by KatesMomWA on Aug 8, 17 10:37 AM
This is a suggestion for game developers overall. My suggestion would be to have a way in Options to turn off the "rolling" motion that occurs at the map (the area where you build the buildings). Instead, if the screen needs to move left/right, provide arrows or have it not move until you move your mouse to the left or right edge...or just have it not move (it didn't seem like it needed to move with this game). Unfortunately, the wavy movement was enough to make me feel sick/dizzy.

I recently had to delete another game early in the trial because of this same issue. For some reason, under a minute of that leaves me feeling yucky for quite some time (where I need to actually take a break from the computer for a while to get over it). Maybe I am just super sensitive to the visual impact of that type of movement. I might be the only person that has this problem or maybe it is a result of getting older <g> (if it's just me, then feel free to ignore this request, but maybe I'm not the only person who has the issue)? It seems like it would be easy to have an option to turn that off for those of us who have issues with that type of feature. Thanks for considering this :-)

[Post New]by rokapublish on Aug 8, 17 10:44 AM
@KatesMomWA - We note it. Maybe the next 5 Star game will have this option. Thank you.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 8, 17 10:52 AM
rokapublish wrote:The game has an releaxe mode without move limits. Just click the "relaxe button" you can see in each level on the bottom. You'll love this game!

Hello Rokapublish, and thank you for that very important info.

In the game, Casual mode tells you that you will get 25 more steps than you get in Normal mode. It does not say anything about Relaxed mode. If you hadn't explained where to click it, I would not have known that.

Because I was able to play without restriction, I played the demo and loved it. The colours and graphics are really nice. And I especially love the fact that I can play a solitaire game as well - love Solitaire games, and enjoy playing your Zombie solitaire games.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Aug 8, 17 11:10 AM
I'm currently at level 52 in normal mode, have 3 stars on all the boards. Don't be misled by how this game looks; it's much harder than it appears in the normal mode. I had to replay a few levels a lot of times to earn 3 stars. Other than the wiggling of the building scene that was mentioned earlier, I think it would have been better to put the relaxed mode option in the game options menu instead of having it at the bottom of every screen. On one level I had to be really careful on where I was clicking so as to not enable that option. Other than that, the game options were carefully considered: options to shut off the custom cursor and bouncing coins (thank you developers, the bouncing coins were annoying to me) and the ability to replay levels if you're a 3 star completionist. Gameplay has the usual features of blocked spaces and chains; some levels have special tiles that add more spaces to clear. The music drove me crazy after about 25 levels so I finally shut it off, but that's just me. Other than the usual goal of clearing all the covered spaces, you often have to satisfy your hotel guests by making certain types of matches. The first few buildings you add to the scene have one-up one-down solitaire games that you can play as often as you'd like for more coins. That was an OK diversion, not super challenging.

If you like to strategize in your M3s, this is worth checking out. I did notice something odd on a few of the boards that had water or chocolate tiles: since they add more tiles, in a few instances I was able to "finish" the level even though I was pretty sure there were still guests or tiles left.

The game download page says there are 100 levels but when I scrolled ahead in the level selector there appear to be 96 levels. from me, enjoy!

[Post New]by KatesMomWA on Aug 8, 17 5:03 PM
rokapublish wrote:@KatesMomWA - We note it. Maybe the next 5 Star game will have this option. Thank you.

Thank you! I have several of your other games and really enjoy them and look forward to more in the future.

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Aug 18, 17 2:32 PM
seems to be a good game - BUT - I can't tell!
I am in my 70's and found I had to squint at the screen in order to find out what was going on. the words were far too small for me.
ah well !

Go to: